Chapter Thirteen

Blood Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Jinhwan’s POV)

I know that these things will make her cry and hearing her sobs and sniffs behind this close door I’m currently leaning on, it really breaks my heart. It was like this the first time I heard her cry. Back then, when I heard what happened from my father, I immediately rush to her place, I was in front of her door ready to knock but stopped when I heard the sorrowful cries coming from inside her room. I can’t bring myself to knock or barge in. I wanted to comfort her that time but just hearing her cry made me go stiff and dumbfounded what more if I see her crying her heart out. Just imagining it tore my heart to pieces. I won’t be able to handle the sight. So I just stood there like deer on the headlights, listened to her cries, and waited until she calmed down. We were just kids back then, if I could turn back the time, I will and then I’ll barge in inside of her room and hug her tightly just like what I want to do right now. I want to open this damn door but I know she wanted to be alone.

I closed my eyes and sighed. Before, all I want to do is pull her to safety. To stop the dangerous things she had been doing for the past years. To set her to path where she’s away from danger, away from the death that keeps on following her. That’s the whole reason why I’m helping her, why I chose to be with her side all this time. But I didn’t succeed. And now that she forgot everything – death of her family, the brutal and merciless reality of the world of business, her goals, and her perspectives – I chose to drag her back to the darkness.

Is it because I know that she would want to know the truth, to remember who she really is, or is it just because of my selfishness that wants her to remember me, for her to retrieve the memories of us together?

Mr. Jung handed me the cup of tea he made. “Give her this. Go inside Master Jinhwan, I know she would appreciate to have your presence.” He smiled at me encouragingly. I give him a small smile before I opened the door and went inside.

I found her standing in the balcony, staring down at the back yard garden. Her cheeks and nose are reddish probably because of crying. Her hands are grasping the balcony’s railing tightly like it was her lifeline. I quietly went towards her. When I reach her side, she looked at me and gave me a small smile, that smile that says she’s trying to be strong. I smiled back and offered her the tea.

“Here. Drink this. Mr. Jung prepared that for you.”

“Thank you.” She said with a small voice, holding the cup. She looked down at the tea before taking a sip of it. I turn my gaze to the sky and silence enveloped us for a moment.

“Jin, who was the one who rescued me? she said. I glance at her and saw that she was facing me, looking at me intently so I face her also.

"My father.” I answered. Her eyes widen a fraction. “Where is he? Can you take me to him so I can thank him properly?” she asked. I smiled at her and patted her head.

“You’ve done that before. Besides, he’s already dead.” Her eyes showed sadness, looking at me with sympathy. “I’m sorry.” She said.

I shook my head. “You don’t have to be. It’s not anyone’s fault. My dad was diagnosed with brain tumor and died 5 years ago. And I know that he’s happy for sure now that he’s with my mom in the heaven.” I chuckled thinking of my parents’ sweetness towards each other. I then felt a warm hand intertwined with mine. I looked down and saw Suhyun’s hand held mine and gave me a gentle and comforting squeeze. I looked up at her and found her looking at me. I smiled at her to assure her that I’m okay. Look at this woman, she’s in pain because of her parent’s death but still able to comfort me.

“After he rescued you, we decided that you’ll live with us. For almost 5 years you stayed with us, we became your family. For the five years, my father thought you everything he knows, from hand to hand combat using martial arts to fighting using weapons such as katana.”

“He knows those kind of things?” she aksed. I nodded.

“Yes. your mother and my father are actually both former assassins.”

“EH?!” I chuckled at her reaction, still holding her hand. I smiled.

“Yes. When your mom left the clan, many of her ‘brothers’ in the clan followed her, those who treat her as their true leader and my dad is one of them. My dad and Bobby’s dad. The three of us practically grew up together because of our parents’ connection.”

She slowly nodded. Taking all the information I just revealed. “When she left, the chief of the clan and the remaining people in the clan were truly enraged of your mother’s action, not just she is the clan’s most treasured jewel but she also took many assassins with her, that they continuously tried to assassinate your family. That is why your father searched and found this place for you to stay. Your father became even more successful in his company helping my father and Bobby’s father build their own. We all started a new life, leaving all their dark past behind but it seems darkness won’t let them live peacefully. The first tragedy that happened was when Bobby’s father died in an ambush. He sacrificed himself for my dad. Bobby that time was still 3 years old that he can’t really remember that event. Many attempts of assassinations were done but we managed to survive. Until your mother was betrayed. The other ‘brothers’ that followed her, which she have helped in their new life, can’t really leave their past and wanted to become more, they became greedier. They betrayed and killed her for the sake of few damn money.” I said the last part in gritted teeth. I still remember the first time my father told me about this. I was so furious. Even now, my feelings are still the same. I suddenly felt a gentle squeeze. I look at Suhyun and found her looking at me, encouraging me to continue.

I sighed. “When your parents died, my father did everything to know who the mastermind is. But he failed. So in order to make us safe, he also taught us the things he knows for us to be able to defend ourselves. Before he died, he mentioned the people he suspected to be the mastermind.”

“Are those the people in the folder you gave me?” she asked. I nodded.

“Lee Min-kyu, your uncle. My father suspects him because he is a power greedy. Min-kyu is a businessman who married Gong-yoo’s adopted sister Lei which my father suspected that he only wanted to use her to be close to Gong-yoo and use Gong-yoo’s connection. After your father died, he instantly took over the company sinceyou are still underage and he is the immediate family. He even wanted you to live with him and her 16 year old son Wonho but you refused. Now, he is currently the chairman, Wonho as the CEO and,” I faced her, “you as the director. You are still the legitimate owner of that company.” She looked surprised, her eyes widen and was hanging open.

“A-ah, w-hat? Me?” pointing to herself. I nodded. “Yes. You own that but you never went there to personally manage everything.”

“Huh?” she looks confused tilting her head to the side,

“Ever since your parents died, you never let them see you personally. I think the last time they saw you is when you were still 15 years old, a year after your parents’ death. Even when you took over the company, you don’t go there. It’s either me or Bobby who’s representing you in every meetings or parties. You don’t really trust people. It’s really hard for you to trust them after the incidents in your life so made your life very very private.”

“Another reason that my father suspects Min-kyu is because the devil have other business. Illegal business. He exports illegal firearms and is very active in black market. Now, it is his son Wonho who is managing the business.”

“Really? I mean, I can’t believe I have a relative like him.” She said with a frown.

“We’ve been doing our best to put them in jail but they are so slick and their men don’t want to expose them. Up till this day, we still don’t have enough evidence to expose them.”

 “But do you think we could use Wonho against his dad?”

“What?” I said, looking at her with confused face. “Are you serious? He’s a spawn of a devil!”

“Wait okay. I just thought that maybe we could change his mind since we are of the same age, we also grew up together right? He’s the only direct connection we have to my uncle we-“

I let go of her hand and grabbed both her shoulder, making her face me. I bend down a little and leaned closer to her face, looking at her eyes directly. “Don’t ever think about getting help to that bastard. He’s just like his father. He even manages their business. Yes, we grew up together. He seems close to you but remember Suhyun, your mother was now dead because she was betrayed by the people whom she thought she could trust.”

She looked at me with wide eyes and open mouth. Unwillingly, my gaze lowered to her tempting red lips. That smooth cherry-

“Okay.” My eyes snapped back to her eyes. “Sorry I suggested that.” I sighed and patted her head.

“Forget about it. Just, no matter what happened, don’t approach him.” She nodded.

“Second suspect is Sun Jae Hi. The leader of the Red clan, training people to become assassins. We believed that he was the strongest candidate to be the mastermind. Reason to eliminate you is none other than revenge. Third suspect is Joo Sukjin, a prominent figure in black market or underground business. Your mother eliminated his father when she was still an assassin. Reason – revenge. Fourth and last suspect, Jung Leejoon, an assassin like our parents. He was in love with your mother but rejected him. When your mom got married, he threatened your family that he will kill all of you.”

“So there are four suspects.” She whispered to herself. I saw her bit her lip. Seriously, she should stop doing that. She’ll be that death of me. “Did I knew all of this before?”

“Yes.”

“Then, what am I doing all this time? If you said that I’m not managing my company personally, what am I doing then? Am I just staying here in the house? Doing household chores like a dutiful wife? Am I married already?” she chuckles, “What am I saying? Of course I’m still not. I don’t have a ring on my finger when I woke up from my accident.”

I’ve grown stiff. Memories suddenly came crashing to my mind and all I can do was stare at her. Until she flicked my head.

“Aww! Yah, why did you do that?” I asked. Rubbing my forehead. She grinned. “Sorry, I just wanted to do that thing. I can’t do that to Sese because he’s taller.” She said. Hearing the name of that guy made me frown. When I saw the ring on her finger, I felt something prick my heart. Loneliness filled my being, I gripped the hem of my shirt.

“So what do I do?” she asked. I looked at her for a few moments before I spoke.

“You’re part of our team. The self-proclaimed leader.” I joke half-heartedly. She slap my arm humorously.

“What do we do?” she suddenly grew serious.

“We save people.” I answered with a smile.

“Really? How?”

“We save people that they were trying to assassinate.”

“They?” she asked.

“Since you wanted to know who the killer of your parents is, we continuously monitored and stalked the suspects. In the business world were many greedy men wanted to become more po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter