Another cry

Daily life

He was welcomed by darkness the moment he opens the door of his house. However, there were traces of light coming from upstairs.
“She’s still up?” he thought to himself. The watch on his hand shows that the time is quarter after midnight.

He made his way upstairs. As he ascended the last step, he saw his wife, sleeping peacefully on her side, in her night gown, on the ottoman sofa. A half-opened book was lying upside down on the floor beside her and her arms were hanging out. Ji Wook couldn’t help but to smiled at the sight, knowing that she must have fell asleep while reading the book. He approached her and reached for the book, quietly placing it on the coffee table. Then, he squatted in front of her and stared at her face. 

His wife is not a woman that would make a man looked twice at her but for him, she is the most beautiful woman. Soft cheeks, high nose, not-so-long lashes but just enough to flatter her eyes and this cute little pout of her lips when she’s asleep. He removed the strands of hair on her face to get a better view and he just fell in love again. He moved his face closer, trying to kiss her, but a sound from his room stopped him. He immediately rushed to the room, but still trying to be as quiet as possible.

He removed his jacket and tie as he entered the room and walked towards the crib at the side of the bed. Their 5 months old daughter seems to have woken up and she is making soft whimpering sounds, something is making her feeling uncomfortable.
“Daddy's here,” he cooed as he lifts her from the crib and cradle her in his arm.
His daughter seems to be calmed down for a bit as she felt his warmth. At the same time, he can sense the damp in her diaper. He smiled at his daughter and swayed their body to calm her more.
“Let’s get you change, Jin Ae,” as he placed his daughter on the bed. Then, he grabbed a new onesie for her, a diaper and her toiletries. Jin Ae stopped whimpering once the diaper was removed from her.

Ji Wook pats Jin Ae to sleep once he was done, his fingers caressing her cheeks and forehead, humming a lullaby at the same time. His daughter slowly closed her eyes while on her pacifier.
“You look so much like Bong Hee,” he whispered as his fingers traces Jin Ae’s nose and cheeks.
“Of course, I’m the mother,”
Bong Hee appeared in front of him, smiling at the sight on the bed. They smiled lovingly at each other.
“You should have woken me,” she sat on the edge of the bed.
“It’s ok. I want to. You must be tired,” 
Bong Hee shook her head. “YOU must be tired”
“I’m ok. How can I be tired when I look at this,” he said as he gazed at Bong Hee and then to Jin Ae. Bong Hee smiled again shyly.
“Have you eaten?”
“I had sandwich earlier in the office,”
“Go wash and I’ll heat the dinner,”

Both of them were talking in whisper, so as to not disturb Jin Ae. Ji Wook left a kiss on his daughter’s head before Bong Hee carefully lifted her and placed her in the crib.
 As Bong Hee turned around, she was immediately trapped by her husband’s arms.
“I’ve been meaning to do this earlier,” he whispered, then, he kissed her softly.
“But Noh Jin Ae always have great timing” he continued.
Bong Hee giggled.
“Let’s get out of here. You need to eat Jagiya,” she whispered back as her hands rubbing Ji Wook’s arms.
Ji Wook nodded and he released her from his hug. Bong Hee grabbed the baby monitor before them both making their way out of the room hand-in-hand.


-----

Few days later


“I don’t feel good about this,” Ji Wook frowned at Bong Hee.
“Relax…my mother is there,” Bong Hee tried to calm him as she grabbed some bottles of soda and put it in the cart.
“Right..your mother is there…,” Ji Wook said, trying to convinced himself.
“But Jin Ae doesn’t like Mr. Byun. She always cries when she sees him,”
“But Jin Ae likes my mother. She’ll be fine. Besides, we’re only out to buy sodas,”
“You’re right. We’ll be back soon. What can go wrong in thirty minutes right..,” as he attempts to smile at Bong Hee.
“Don’t you like being alone with me? I can’t remember when is the last time we came here alone, just the two of us,” Bong Hee pouts as she grabbed Ji Wook’s arm and just like that, all his worries is gone. Ji Wook smiled at her and rubs her cheek.
“Of course I like being alone with you. You know what, let’s just buy everything else we need at home, let’s take our time,” 
Bong Hee smiled back at him and nodded.

They pushed the cart over the aisle, going to another aisle, to buy everything else they need at home and other groceries, as well as tasting samples, just like a couple with no child waiting at home. When they were finally in the car to go home, Bong Hee checked her phone and realised that they had spent a good hour in the supermarket. The good news is, there were no messages or missed calls from home. Ji Wook drove them back, which is only 10 minutes away.

 

Home


As they walked through the gate, they both panicked when they heard Jin Ae’s wailing. They immediately rushed in and found both their mothers trying to calm Jin Ae while Mr Byun sat helplessly at the dinner table.
“Bong Hee!” both their mothers called out in relief when they saw them.
“What happened?” Bong Hee asked worriedly as she approached them and took Jin Ae from Young Soon. Jin Ae cried into Bong Hee’s neck while she rocked and pat her to calm her down.
“I’m sorry, Bong Hee,” said the culprit, Mr Byun. “I just wanted to try to get close to her”
Bong Hee smiled apologetically towards Mr Byun.
“It’s ok. I don’t know why she acts like that towards you,”
Meanwhile, Ji Wook snickered at his father as he placed the stuffs in the kitchen and Mr Byun can only sigh.
“I’ll just go upstairs,” Bong Hee said.

She cradled Jin Ae in her arms as she sat on the bed in their room. Jin Ae is still crying but not as loud as before. Her eyes locked at Bong Hee.
“Why? You’re hungry?” as she caressed her daughter’s small head.
Bong Hee loosen the button of her blouse until under her and released the snap on the left cup of her nursing bra to feed her daughter. Jin Ae immediately calmed down as she hungrily on her mother and her small hands were on Bong Hee’s , holding it like her life depends on it.
“So you’re actually hungry,” Bong Hee smiled at her daughter and rubs her finger on Jin Ae’ cheek. 
“I’m sorry. Mommy forgot the time. We got carried away,” Jin Ae seems to understand her mother as she blinked her eyes at Bong Hee. They both stared at each other in silent after that.

The doors opened and Ji Wook entered the room. He smiled at the sight in front of him and sat next to Bong Hee. Jin Ae peeked through Bong Hee's blouse and looked at her father before she continued .
"She's actually hungry,"
Ji Wook reach over to caress Jin Ae's head and feeling her father's touch, she stopped and lifted her head to look again at her father. They smiled at each other.
"You're done, Jin Ae?"
Hearing her mother's voice, she continued again .
Ji Wook and Bong Hee could only laugh. Upon hearing her parents’ laughter, she stopped again and smiled as well at her parents, showing her toothless gum.

Ji Wook extended his arms to Jin Ae and she immediately reached over. Bong Hee fixed her bra and blouse as Ji Wook played with Jin Ae, sure that Jin Ae has had her fill.

"Be careful Jagiya...she might burped on you,"
"Nevermind....daddy will just change the shirt," he answered as he blows on Jin Ae's small tummy and Jin Ae laughs loudly. Bong Hee could only chuckled at the father daughter duo.
"I'll just go downstairs," Bong Hee said as she got up to leave the room. However, Jin Ae whimpered when she saw her mother standing.
"We're coming too," Ji Wook got up as well with Jin Ae in his arms and they all went downstairs together.

Their parents actually came to have lunch with them since it's the weekend and of course, they wanted to see their granddaughter. Young Soon voluntereed to cook everything and when they arrived at the dinner table, everything has been set on the table. 

As they were having their lunch, Bong Hee let Jin Ae munch on 1/5 of a banana that she has cut into tiny pieces. After the lunch, Mr Byun whines again as he wanted to hold Jin Ae. Ji Wook finally lets him and surprisingly Jin Ae did not cry, probably feeling safe that her parents are in sight and she is not hungry. 

Mr Byun managed to make her laugh and feeling confident, he swayed their bodies more. Bong Hee tried to warned him that Jin Ae has not burped, but before she could do that, Jin Ae already stained his jacket with white vomit. Bong Hee and Ji Wook gasped.

"Oh, you're taking revenge on me," Mr Byun said as he laughed and hold Jin Ae up to his eye level.

Jin Ae cupped his face with her small hands and laughed loudly. They all could only laughed together with her.

 


A/N :
I am currently watching “Eulachacha Waikiki” and to be honest, I watched it because of Baby Sol. She’s just so freaking cute!!! And the drama’s funny as well. So, I was inspired to write about JiBong’s baby. As for the name, Jin Ae means Truth, Treasure and Love. I chose that name because 1) JiBong are working with Law/Justice, so I figured they would want something like Truth for their child’s name 2) The child is their Treasure and proof of their Love 3) Google suggested it. Hahahaha! I don’t know much about Korean names actually, and whether this is suitable for the surname of Noh but I hope you understand my intention.