Another side of Bong Hee

Daily life

Outside

 

“Are you sure?”

Bong Hee nods her head eagerly.

“O..kayy..” and Ji Wook ordered a portion of teobokki for them both.

They were just walking towards their car after dinner at a restaurant nearby when they spotted the teobokki stall. Bong Hee dragged him into it saying that she wants to eat teobokki and it surprised him. He thought she would be full after the dinner, where Bong Hee finished a set of kimchi stew and egg rolls, alone. They usually share their dishes but this time, she ordered a separate set for herself plus egg rolls. He didn’t even get to taste the egg rolls and now, she wants to eat teobokki.

“Let’s go, Jagiya,”

“Oh…okay..” He didn’t realize that Bong Hee had finished the teobokki.  

“Let’s stop at the mart later and get ice cream,”

“What?!”

“I think Vanilla would be perfect after all that spicy”

Bong Hee continues to walk towards their car and Ji Wook can only look at her incredulously.

 

 

Home

 

Ji Wook was sitting on the bed, leaning his back against the headboard with legs crossed, and reading a book when Bong Hee enters the room after her shower.

“Urgh..I don’t feel good..” she said as she sit on the edge of the bed.

Ji Wook moves closer to her and rubs her back.

“Maybe because you ate too much. I’ll get you some meds and water,”

“It’s ok. It’s not that bad, maybe I just need to sleep it off,”

“Yeah..let’s go to sleep then,”

 

 

The next morning, Ji Wook turned to reach for his wife beside him only to find the space empty. He opened his eyes to look for her but she is nowhere in the room. He got up and went out of the room to start the day thinking that his wife is probably downstairs in the kitchen or maybe in the shower. However, the moment he opened the door, he can hear the sound of his wife vomiting. He immediately rushed to the bathroom and found her sitting on the floor beside the toilet bowl, traces of foods they had the night before coming out of her.

“Bong Hee!” Ji Wook knelt down beside her and holds her hair.

She flushed the toilet when she’s done and tried to get up. Ji Wook helped her to the sink so that she can wash herself.

“Let’s go to the hospital,”

“You’re so dramatic. I’m fine,”

“No, you’re not. You vomited everything you ate yesterday,”

“Then, cook me a delicious breakfast. I’m hungry now,”

“Ok. Then we go to the hospital,”

“It’s ok. I’ll just have some meds and rest. You just tell Lawyer Ji I can’t come to work,”

Ji Wook sighs. “Are you sure you don’t need to go to the hospital?”

Bong Hee nods. “I think you’re right. I ate too much yesterday. I should be fine after I rest,”

Ji Wook can only sigh and stare at her, worries is evidenced on his face.

“Don’t worry. I’m ok. Come! Let’s shower together,” she said with a grin on her face. Ji Wook can only smile and shakes his head as she pulls him toward the shower.

 

 

Few days later, Bong Hee was busy in the kitchen, preparing breakfast, when Ji Wook arrived home from his morning workout. He walked over to drink some water.

“What are you making?”

“Pancakes. I want to try the new chocolate syrup I bought the other day,”

“So early?” Ji Wooks asked. Usually, his wife prefers to eat a good homemade traditional dish with rice for breakfast and she couldn’t eat anything sweet so early in the morning.

“I kind of feel bored eating rice for breakfast,”

Ji Wook can only stare at her and raise his eyebrows. But he immediately brushed the thought away and approached his wife, to give her morning kiss. However, his kiss landed on her cheek instead because Bong Hee moved her head.

“Wah..you smell awful! Go wash!” as Bong Hee pushed him away.

“Eh?!” Ji Wook smells himself. He always smells like this but she never has a problem with it before. She even told him he smells nice. Nevertheless, he just walked away and went upstairs to get ready for work.

 

 

Saturday, at home

 

“Bong Hee, what should we watch tonight? Thriller, classic, romance, action?” Ji Wook asks eagerly. Tonight is supposed to be their movie night.

“Anything,” she answered without looking at Ji Wook, her attention focused on her laptop, trying to finish whatever work she left yesterday.

“Anything…hmm..it’s classic then,” but Bong Hee still didn’t spare him a glance.

“Which one? The Roman Holiday or It’s a Wonderful Life?,” he asked her again.

“Anything,” she answered again without giving any thoughts. Her eyebrows furrows together as she types on the laptop.

“What do you prefer? Popcorns or nachos? Or maybe fr-”

“Urgh! Stop it, will you?! I’m trying to focus here! Leave me alone!” she shouted.

Ji Wook was stunned with her sudden outburst. Even Bong Hee herself was shocked with her own tone of voice but she managed to hide it.

“Can you please go now?!” she said when she saw her husband still froze in his place.

“Oh…” and Ji Wook left her feeling dumbfounded.

She sighs after her husband left. She is confused as well at how she reacted and how easily annoyed she is these days. Her husband was just asking for her preferences and it was not something to be mad at. She makes a reminder in her head to apologize to him later.

 

 

 

Prosecutor office

 

Few days later, Bong Hee decided to drop by her husband's office after she finished her trial. She felt like she still needs to make up to her husband for shouting at him few days ago. Although he accepted her apology, she can feel that he is still upset. Their nights were limited to cuddling since that day and he didn’t send her messages during lunch like he usually did.

 

She knocked a bit on the door and entered her husband’s office without waiting for a reply. She knew very well what to expect behind the door, her husband at his desk behind his pile of documents, Mr. Bang and the admin officer on the right side of the room. However, the sight that welcomed her now is not something she ever imagined.

 

Her husband is indeed at his desk behind his pile of documents, however, there is also a woman sitting sideways on the edge of his desk opposite of him, one leg dangling and the other leg planted on the floor, supporting her body. Bong Hee could only stood still in her place.

 

“Lawyer Eun! You’re here!” Mr Bang said.

“Yes…Hi, Mr Bang,”

Ji Wook and the woman stood up. He walked over to Bong Hee and greets her.

“Bong Hee, let me introduce you to my friend. This is Prosecutor Park. We went to the same university. Ji Min, this is my wife, Eun Bong Hee. She’s in the same firm with Eun Hyuk,”

“Hi! I’m Park Ji Min,” the woman approached her and extended her hands.

“Hi! I’m Eun Bong Hee,” Bong Hee grabbed her hand and shaked it.

 

“So, why are you here?” Ji Wook then asked Bong Hee.

“I just finished my trial and I was thinking to get some coffee with you,”

“Oh, sorry Bong Hee. I can’t. You see, Ji Min just transferred here from Busan, and the chief has assigned me to assist her at the moment. I have to brief her on the cases,”

“Oh…okay… I’ll just see you at home then,”

“Hmm..see you later,” as he kissed her forehead and returned to his desk.

“Bye, Mr. Bang. Bye unnie. Nice to meet you, Prosecutor Park,”

“Bye Lawyer Eun,”

 

Bong Hee left the office, closed the door behind her and walked toward her car. Once inside her car, she finally burst into tears. She wanted to cry when her husband declined her offer but there were others around, so, she held in. Besides, it was not something to cry about. Her husband was working and it was not the first time he ever declined her offer. She understands his job and she did came by without notice. But seeing another woman inside his office just makes her feel sad, adding to the guilt she felt, and scared, that her husband would eventually drift away and look for another woman. He didn't even walked her to the door like he usually did.

 

After a good cry, she finally starts the engine and decided to meet her mother.

 

 

 

PapaJohn

 

 

Once Bong Hee entered the restaurant and saw her mother, her tears just poured again.

“Omma…!!!” she cried as she walks toward her mother and hugged her.

“Bong Hee..what happened?” as her mom hugged her and rubbed her back.

But Bong Hee just continues to cry her eyes out. The customers began to look at them, so her mother decided to bring her to their locker room.

Once Bong Hee calmed down, she asks again. “What happened?”

“Ji Wook….” She sobs. “He doesn’t love me anymore…”

“What are you saying? Did he say that?”

Bong Hee shakes her head.

“Is he cheating on you?” Young Soon grimaced on the idea but she had to ask her daughter and find out what’s wrong.

Bong Hee shakes her head again. Young Soon felt relieved.

“Then, what’s wrong?”

“I went to his office earlier to ask him out for coffee….But he declined and said he has to assist Ji Min…She was transferred from Busan….and they went to the same university” she answered as she sobs again.

Young Soon sighs. So, it’s nothing, but why Bong Hee is crying?

“Bong Hee…he is just busy. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you anymore. You’re just overreacting..”

She shakes her head. “No..he doesn’t love me anymore….he didn’t send any message during lunch anymore…he is mad at me…”

“Why would you think he is mad at you?”

Then Bong Hee told her mother what happen few days earlier. Young Soon just sighs again.

“So why did you shout at him?”

“I don’t know,” Bong Hee stopped crying.

“Look, you are just overreacting. I’m sure he still loves you. He may be upset, but you can always apologize again. He is your husband, I’m sure you know better how to coax him,”

“You think?”

“Yes!” her mother nods. “You’re on your period aren’t you? That’s why you’re so emotional,”

But she is not on period and come to think of it, it has been a while since she last menstruated. Then, the thought hit her. Young Soon can feel Bong Hee’s body stiffen.

“Omma, I have to go! I call you later,” Bong Hee said as she gathered her things, hugged her mother and rushed out of the room. Her mother didn’t get to respond and when she came out, Bong Hee has left the restaurant, leaving her speechless.

 

 

 

Home

 

 

Ji Wook tucked his phone inside his pocket and got out of the car. He just spoke to his mother-in-law, telling him about Bong Hee's visit. Bong Hee must have gotten the wrong idea when she dropped by his office earlier today but he knew his wife is not the jealous type.

 

Ji Wook scratched his head.

 

 Bong Hee is acting weird these days and he doesn't know why. He intends to find it out tonight. They have to talk about this.

 

As he walked to his house, he found his wife pacing in front of the gate.

 

"Bong Hee..."

"Jagiya...," and Bong Hee ran to him. She hugged him tight around his waist.

Ji Wook was initially shocked with her action but then, he smiles to himself. The last 2 times his wife ever ran to him and hugged him like this were when she confessed to him and fall in love with him all over again. And now, he is falling in love with her again.

"Jagiya....I'm sorry....I'm so sorry....,"

"Bong Hee..." he stepped back to look at her face. "Let's go inside first,"

Bong Hee shakes her head and snuggles to him.

"I'm sorry for shouting at you. I don't know why I did it. I'm sorry,"

Ji Wook chuckles. "Let's talk inside"

But Bong Hee didn't want to let go and hugged him tighter. They ended up walking towards the gate in the position, like a koala hugging a tree. When they reached the gate, Ji Wook pulled her to his side and wrapped his arm around her shoulder as they enter the house.

"You might fall if we continue walking like that,"

 

Once they are inside their room, Ji Wook starts before Bong Hee could even say something.

"Let me wash first, will you? Then, we talk,"

"Are you still upset?"

"No. I'm not anymore,"

"Have you had dinner?"

"Yes, with Mr. Byun,"

"Ok,"

 

 

Bong Hee was pacing in the room when Ji Wook enters. She followed his movements with her eyes and waited for him to say something. Ji Wook on the other hand, crawled onto bed and leaned against the headboard. He pats the space beside him, signaling Bong Hee to come. Once they settled down, Ji Wook turn to face Bong Hee.

"Do you, perhaps, misunderstand the situation earlier? When you came to my office. Just so you know, Ji Min is married,"

"No...,"

"So, why did you cry?"

"How did you-"

"Omma called me. She was worried because one moment you were sobbing so hard and one moment later, you suddenly ran out,"

"Oh...,"

"Why did you cry?"

Bong Hee sighed. " I don't know. I guess I overreacts. Blame it on the hormones,"

Ji Wook just stared at her and waited for her to continue.

"That's why I shouted at you as well, few days ago...I guess...it's the hormones" she said as she flashed him a smile.

Ji wook sighed. "Bong Hee..you have to tell me if there is something wrong. You can't just avoid it and blame the hormones,"

"No Jagiya...it IS the hormones. I read it somewhere before. There's nothing wrong,"she explained.

"Bong Hee..you are driving me crazy. You are acting very weird lately," Ji Wook expressed his frustrations.

Bong Hee just chuckled. "I guess it's the hormones,"

Ji Wook sighed and pulled her by the waist, making her sit on his lap, straddling him.

"Are you on you're period? Is that what you're trying to say?"

Bong Hee flashed him another smile. Then, she reached to the nightstand and pulled the drawer. She took out a white stick and placed it in her husband's hand.

Ji Wook just looked at her with a confuse face but she continued to smile at him.

When she still didn't say anything, he looked at the stick and realization hits him. His eyes and mouths wide open. He looked at Bong Hee, trying to confirm what he saw, and she just nods at him.

 

PREGNANT

 

"Bong Hee....."

"I told you...it's the hormones,"

When Ji Wook didn't reply, she continued. "It explains. I eat a lot, I don't feel good these days, I'm easily annoyed and emotional, and the last time I had my period was 2 months ago. Urgh! Why didn't I think of it earlier..haha! I just thought of it when omma talked about my period. So, I went to the pharmacy and bought the test kit. I tried all thre-"

Bong Hee didn't get to finish as Ji Wook hugged her tightly and rest his head on the crook of her neck.

"Thank you, Bong Hee.....thank you...."

She smiled.

"Jagiya.....I can't.......breathe...."

He pulled away and for a moment, he just stared at her face with adoration, before he kissed her all over it.

"Umph...Jagiya..."

Ji Wook pulled away and placed his hand on Bong Hee's tummy. 

"We're going to have a baby," he remarked happily.

"Yes...we're going to have a baby," she whispered back.

Ji Wook kissed her gently.

"We have to tell everyone,"

"Let's tell them during our next gathering,"

Ji Wook nodded.

"Now, let's make love. My hormones wants you,"

"Are you sure that's the hormones? Not you?" Ji Wook smirked.

"Erm...fifty-fifty? I missed you okay....it's been few days," Bong Hee whined.

"You shouted at me,"

"And you'll get shouted again in these 9 months. Bare with me,"

Ji Wook gasped in horror upon realizing that he will face a roller coaster of emotions from Bong Hee during her pregnancy, another version of her.

"Hey! What's with the face?" she hit his arm slightly.

"I'm just kidding," he chuckled. "Be a witch or whatever you want. I'll still love you," as he pushed Bong Hee to lie on the bed and hovers her.

Bong Hee giggles. "I love you too"

 

 

-09032018-