Chapter 6

Promise of the Past

Hana arrived home at her duplex penthouse after meeting Lisa. She dropped her bag on the couch and went into her bedroom. She walked into the bathroom and took a long shower after the day that she had. Once she was done showering, she put on a bathrobe and walked into her walk-in closet. 

Related image Image result for luxury bathrooms 

Related image Related image 

Hana had decided to move out of the main house when she was 14 years old. It caused an uproar amongst her family members but they soon relented when they saw Hana's determination. She called the realtor personally to find her a suitable house. He did eventually when he found one of the last remaining duplex penthouse in the middle of the city that was close to both the company and her school. She bought it and had her family's personal interior designer design it for her according to her preferences. It was impressive enough. A private gym, 4 bedrooms, 4 and 1/2 baths, a personal swimming pool and more. Hana looked through her clothes and chose a black pencil skirt and a pastel pink off-shoulder blouse. 

Hana chuckled. She remembered Mina's first impression of her house. According to Mina, Hana's house was filled with black and white colours and it was so dull. She even bought Hana a pastel pink couch so that Hana's house would be more lively. Hana shook her head and continued to wear her clothes. When she was done, she left her room and walked towards the wall where she hung all her car keys. She had a few cars that her grandfather bought on a whim and gave it to her as a gift. She tried rejecting but it was no use arguing with her grandfather so she just took it gratefully. She only had two cars with her and the rest were at the main house. 

She took the keys to the Maserati Granturismo and headed out of the house. She used the elevator down to the basement. She clicked the button on the remote as the car unlocked. She got in and started the engine before driving out of the basement. After 40 minutes of driving, she arrived on a quiet road and was stopped by a row of bodyguards. Hana rolled the window down allowing the bodyguards to check her identity. Once they saw that it was Hana, they immediately allowed her in as she drove into the huge estate. She arrived in front of the entrance of the huge palatial estate as she was greeted by an army of maids and butlers.

"Welcome home, young miss. Chairman Kang, Madam and Vice-Chairman is already waiting for you" the butler said. 

Hana nodded and allowed herself to be ushered into the mansion. She arrived at the dining room and was greeted by her whole family. She bowed and took her seat beside her brother. 

"Sorry for being late. Traffic was unpredictable" Hana said. 

"No worries, Hana. Welcome home, my little baby" her grandmother cooed like she was a baby. 

"Thank you, grandma" Hana said. 

"Now that you have arrived, the food can be served. You must be starving" her grandmother said. 

The food was served moments after. The family ate silently until Hana's grandfather broke the silence.

"Hana, how's your school going? Are you able to keep up with all the work from the company?" her grandfather asked. 

"It's alright, grandfather. School is as usual" Hana answered. 

"That's right, grandpa. Hana is the business genius in our family. I'm sure everything is fine. She's helping to reduce all my workload in the company" Hana's brother, Daniel said. 

"Daniel, you shouldn't be too happy about that. You are supposed to be the Vice-Chairman. Once your father retires, you will take his position as the Chairman of Kang Conglomerates. Your younger sister exists to help you but you mustn't rely on her alone" her grandfather chided. 

"Yes, grandfather" Daniel replied dejectedly. 

"It's no problem at all, grandfather. Daniel oppa is not to blame" Hana said. 

Her brother flashed her a small smile of gratitude as her grandfather sighed and said nothing. He couldn't say anything against Hana because he knew he wouldn't win.Dinner ended pleasantly. The family moved to the living room. Hana and her brother was the last but Hana stopped in front of the entrance. Hana didn't want to sit through another round of their nagging and business talks so she hugged her brother goodbye. 

"Be safe, big brother" Hana said. 

"I know. By the way, do you want anything?" her brother asked. 

"Nope" Hana answered. 

"You sure? Bags? Shoes? Clothes? Perfume? Chocolate?" her brother asked. 

She chuckled and shook her head. 

"None of those. I have more than enough but thanks for offering. Just take care of yourself and that's good enough for me" Hana said. 

Her brother ruffled her hair earning a glare from Hana. 

"I will be fine" her brother said. 

Hana then announced that she would be leaving first since she still had school. Despite the family's objections, Hana was adamant about leaving for the night. Hana bowed and wished her family a good night. However she missed the longing look on her grandmother's face. Hana left the house in her car as she headed back to her penthouse. Just as her body hit her soft bed, her phone rang. She groaned as she begrudgingly got up and took her phone. Her eyes immediately widened. It was Mina. She answered the call without a second thought. 

MinaHana

^Hey^

^Hey, Mina unnie^

^Are you busy? You weren't answering the texts I sent you^

^Yeah, I was at the main house. My brother is leaving for the States soon for a business trip^

^I see. You owe me dinner, you know^

Hana silently cursed. She forgot that she promised Mina that they would have dinner together. 

^I'm sorry. I completely forgot. I've been busy all day. I'll make it up to you^

^I'm expecting more than a dinner^ 

^You can have anything you want as long as you aren't angry^

Mina could afford anything she want being the daughter of Myoui Banking Group's Chairman. However, she was used to Hana spoiling her with all the expensive gifts. She always thought that Hana was being generous. (Tsk, Tsk. Dense Mina)

^You said it yourself. Then, I won't hold back on the requests then^ 

Hana laughed through the phone. 

^Request as much as you want, princess^

^Alright then. I'll see you in school tomorrow. Good night, love^ 

^Good night, princess^ 

The call ended. Hana smiled widely at the mention of the nickname that Mina used. She lay her head on the bed and allowed herself to drift into the past. 

Flashback (5 years ago) 

Hana was 13 years old when she went to Paris with Mina and the others. She wasn't enjoying her time unfortunately. She just wanted to be alone so she sat by herself on the deck of the second floor that overlooked the infinity pool. They were currently at her family's holiday villa relaxing after they went sightseeing. The villa had the best views since it was built on top of a hill and was facing the city. She was interrupted by Mina who had appeared beside her. 

"Why are you here instead of playing with the others?' Hana asked as she watched her other friends laughing and playing around. 

"That should be my question to you. What's wrong, Hana? You haven't been smiling a lot throughout this trip. You try to hide it but I can see through your facade" Mina said. 

Hana sighed deeply. 

"My mother has already started to choose potential suitors for me. She doesn't mind the gender and even asked for my preference. I didn't know what to say" Hana said.

Mina turned to look at Hana. Hana on the other hand concentrated on the view in front of her.

"So, have you chosen anyone yet?" Mina asked. 

"I have no interest in choosing someone I don't know. You know how much I mistrust others" Hana said. 

"Then, do you have anyone you like?" Hana asked. 

Hana finally turned to look at Mina as she said softly "And if I said that it was you".

"Then, it's settled. When we grow up, I am going to marry you" Mina said. 

Hana smiled as she nodded. 

End