Chapter 7

Promise of the Past

School started as usual. The student council was busy in a meeting as they gathered at the conference table. 

"What do we have on our meeting agenda today?" Jihyo asked. 

"We have 4 main issues. The disciplinary hearing. The Spring Masquerade Ball. Sports Day. The annual International Arts Festival. The rest are less important" Mina as the secretary spoke out. 

Jihyo nodded and said "We have a lot to deal with as usual this year. The disciplinary hearing committee will be headed by Hana and myself. 4 out of the remaining committees will be chosen as well. This time, I am choosing Jeongyeon, Mina, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung. That concludes the first issue. Next". 

The others took note and moved on to the next issue.

"St Regalo's ball has always been a big issue. Every year, we will have a different theme for the ball and this year, we have chosen masquerade. Last year, we had halloween and it was a big hit amongst the students" Sana said. 

"It's a good idea. Who will you choose to help you in the preparations, Sana? You are the main designer and planner after all" Jihyo said. 

"I have yet to decide yet but I will write a full report and submit it to you by next week" Sana said. 

"Very well. Moving on, Sports Day. Chaeyoung as the head of Curricular and Clubs, do you want to elaborate?" Jihyo asked. 

"Sports Day for our school is unlike any other school. Our events range from horseback riding, golf, archery, skeet shooting, swimming and of course, running. Each class will be sending their representatives to compete and the class that wins the most medals will be awarded. The prizes that we have set aside for this year's event are; first place is a all-expense paid 8 days 7 nights luxury trip on the Seven Seas Explorer Ship. Second place, an-all expense paid 4 days 3 nights ski trip at Hotel Barriere Les Neiges in Courchevel, France. Third place, a spa trip at Thermal Spa Grand Resort, Bad Ragaz, Switzerland. We have up the prizes this year to motivate the students to participate. All of the trips are sponsored by our families" Chaeyoung explained. 

"Okay. Submit the full report by next week. Work with the two treasurers to calculate the total costs" Jihyo said. 

Just as they were about to move to the next issue, they were interrupted by the knock on the door. They paused momentarily. The door opened as a beautiful brunette walked through. She bowed and greeted the members. 

"Hello, my name is Jennie. I am looking for Park Jihyo" the brunette said. 

Jihyo stood up from her chair and said "You must be the new transfer student from New Zealand. I am Park Jihyo, President of the student council of St Regalo". 

"Sorry, did I interrupt your meeting? I can always come back later" Jennie said. 

"No, it's alright. We will continue this later" Jihyo said. 

The other members nodded. 

Jihyo went towards Jennie and said "Welcome to our school. I am sure you have familiarise yourself with our rules and regulations". 

"Yes, I have" Jennie replied. 

"Good, I will hand you some forms to sign as required by protocol. I will also hand you your class schedules. A member of the council will be appointed to you for a week to help you settle in" Jihyo said. 

"Which council member will help me if I may ask?" Jennie asked. 

"Myoui Mina" Jihyo replied to the members' surprise.

Hana frowned and left the council room immediately leaving everyone stunned. 

"Is something wrong? Did I do something to upset her?" Jennie asked. 

"No, it's alright. She just woke up on the wrong side of bed today. That's Kang Hana, she's the Head of Discipline" Jihyo said. 

Jennie nodded as Jihyo introduced her to the rest of the council members.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hana had run to the only place that she could be alone. The school's flower garden. It was a private garden only opened to the council members and the one place that Hana could go when she felt upset. Why did I even run out for? What right do I have to be angry? Mina unnie isn't mine. Hana's thoughts made her sigh. Hana heard footsteps behind her making her turn. She saw Mina frowning at her. Hana turned away and looked at the koi fishes swimming around in the pond. 

"You know, running away isn't going to solve anything. Talking does" Mina said. 

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I just needed some air after the long discussion" Hana said. 

"Yeah like I'm going to believe that" Mina said. 

"I don't know what you want me to say, Mina unnie" Hana said. 

"Hana, I'm not going to force you to say anything. I just want you to know that I am always open whenever you want to talk" Mina said. 

"I know" Hana said. 

Mina stood up and held out her hand. 

"Let's head back to the council room" Mina said. 

Hana nodded and took Mina's hand as they walked back to the council room. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 weeks later, Hana was busy with the preparations for the ball. Sana had chosen Hana to be in charge of the location and the technical parts. Hana was preoccupied with many things that she had not bothered herself with Jennie and Mina. She had heard a few things from the people around her about their relationship but she knew better than to be bothered. She was currently inside the hall of one of her family's hotel ensuring that everything was in order in time for the Spring's Ball in a week's time. It was break time for the other students who had been chosen to help in the decorations. 

Hana on the other hand didn't have time to take a break. She was a perfectionist and needed to know that everything was in order before she could rest. Just then, the door into the hall opened. Hana turned to the back and was surprised to see Jennie. 

"What are you doing here? Your name wasn't in the list of students chosen by Sana unnie" Hana said. 

"Ah! Mina told me that I could come and see. I didn't know there was someone inside the room" Jennie said. 

They are on first name basis. It's only been 3 weeks. Hana thought to herself. 

"I see. Well, you can look around but don't touch anything. I don't wish for my hard work to crumble at the hands of a bystander" Hana said. 

Hana used her tablet to check for all the systems control.

"Is there anything I can help with?" Jennie asked. 

Hana sighed. She saw a few loose cable. 

"As a matter of fact, I do. Help me find something to tie the loose cables" Hana said. 

Hana was hoping that the girl would just leave her alone. Jennie on the other hand searched high and low for what Hana asked for. She went to the back of the stage and saw a box. She opened them and found cable ties. She smiled in glee as she headed back to Hana. 

"I found something" Jennie said. 

Hana cursed silently and turned. She took one glance at the cable ties in Jennie's hands and fell to the floor screaming. She turned away and covered her eyes with one hand and her other hand clutching onto her heart. She could feel her heart contract as her airways tightened. She couldn't breathe.  

"Are you okay?" Jennie asked scared. 

She tried to walk towards Hana but stopped as Hana screamed. 

"Stay away from me, please. Just..." Hana said her voice shaky. 

Just then, the other council members rushed into the hall. They were on their way to check the hall when they heard a scream. They recognised Hana's voice and started running. They saw Hana on the floor curled into a ball and Jennie was standing in front of her. They didn't notice what Jennie was holding. Nayeon ran towards Hana and engulfed her into a hug. Hana stiffened but recognised Nayeon's perfume as she finally calmed down and her breathing regulated. 

"It's alright. I'm here. We are all here" Nayeon said comforting Hana. 

Tzuyu finally saw the cable ties in Jennie's hand. Her eyes widened as she ripped the cable ties away from Jennie's hand shocking her. The other council members who saw it also looked surprise. They finally understood why Hana was so affected. It was the source of Hana's trauma. Tzuyu ran to the trash can and deposed it. 

"It's gone, Hana. It's not here anymore" Tzuyu said. 

All the members of the council except for Mina glared at Jennie coldly. Hana slowly got up from the floor with Nayeon's help as she gave Jennie a look so cold, it would freeze the Sahara desert. 

"How dare you? How did you know? Who told you about my trauma? Who?" Hana questioned angrily. 

Jennie was close to tears as she denied it. 

"I have no idea what you are talking. Nobody told me. I just wanted to help you since you asked me" Jennie said. 

"Liar. Liar. Tell no one about this. Now, leave and never appear before me ever again or I will kill you" Hana said threateningly. 

Jennie ran out of the room leaving Hana and the others. 

"Don't you think you're being a bit too harsh? I'm sure she didn't know" Mina said defending Jennie.

Hana flared up as she said "You know more than anyone the damage that cable ties bring to me. Yet you still take her side and say that I'm being harsh. So, are you saying that the cable ties was just a coincidence?"

"Hana is right, Mina unnie. For Hana, cable ties could be fatal" Chaeyoung said. 

The others agreed with Chaeyoung.

"Still. Attacking her like that without proof is not right" Mina said. 

Hana looked at Mina betrayed. 

"Did you.. Did you tell her?" Hana asked. 

The others immediately turned to look at Mina. 

"I'm asking you whether you told her. There is no one else here that is close enough to her. Answer me" Hana pressed on. 

"I didn't. I wouldn't reveal such a secret. That is the one thing you know I would never tell" Mina said. 

"Then, why can't I bring myself to believe you?" Hana said sadly. 

Mina stayed silent. She stared at Hana for a while. 

"I really wished you would" Mina said. 

She left the room feeling disappointed that her own friends chose not to believe her.