Chapter 9

Promise of the Past

After an hour of crying on Jihyo's shoulder, Hana wiped her tears. She smiled at Jihyo gratefully. Jihyo helped Hana to get up from the floor as they brushed away any dust from their skirt. 

"You feel better?" Jihyo asked. 

Hana smiled and said "Much. Thank you, Jihyo unnie. You didn't have to skip classes for me". 

"Classes don't really matter to me. You do. You're my baby cousin" Jihyo said. 

Hana shook her head and chuckled. Thanks to Jihyo, Hana felt so much better now. They walked out and headed into Jihyo's office. Jihyo told Hana to take a seat while she made tea. Jihyo handed Hana a cup of tea as she sat opposite Hana. 

"Hana. I know that you feel hurt about Mina but think positively. Maybe it was just never meant to be. I'm sure you will find that special someone soon" Jihyo said. 

Hana gave Jihyo a small smile and said "Yeah. I need to let her go but I still want her as a friend. She was the first one out of all our friends that I trusted with my past after all. I'm going to apologise to her later". 

"That's a good thought but I don't think you need to wait any longer" Jihyo said. 

Hana looked confused until the door to Jihyo's office opened. Both Hana and Mina were equally surprised to see each other. 

"I'll leave you too then" Jihyo said as she winked at Hana. 

Once Jihyo left, there was an awkward tension surrounding the room. 

"Have a seat, Mina unnie" Hana said. 

Mina walked and sat where Jihyo had sat earlier. 

"I wanted to apologise for everything I said. I was harsh and wasn't thinking straight. I shouldn't have suspected you like that and I see it now. I regretted my words very dearly. I found out that the hotel staff was the one who placed the cable ties so I had them all fired. I plan on apologising to Jennie-ssi as well if she'll let me" Hana said sincerely. 

"It's alright, Hana. I was at fault too. I out of everyone should have comforted you first. I knew how much pain and suffering you went through because of the cable ties yet I got angry. I'm sorry" Mina said. 

Hana smiled and asked "Friends?" 

Mina showed her gummy smile and replied "Always".

"So, who are you taking to the ball? It's in a few days" Hana said. 

"I'm bringing Jennie as my date. She asked and I agreed" Mina said. 

Hana nodded and smiled. 

"That's nice" Hana said. 

"How about you?" Mina asked. 

"I will be too busy running the ball. I don't think it will be fair to my date" Hana said. 

"I suppose so. It's alright. Even if you don't have a date, you will have us. We will be with you throughout the night" Mina said referring 'we' to the student council. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night of the ball had arrived. The hall had been decorated to fit the theme of a Royal Masquerade Ball. The hall was packed with students dressed in expensive evening gowns and tailored suits with customed masks. Just then, the MC announced the arrival of the guests of honour. The student council themselves. Their evening gowns and suits dazzled the crowds who stared in awe as they descended the stairs. Mina had gone off in search of her date while Hana was busy checking the preparations. Unbeknownst of the impending danger that awaits Hana.