Now: Torn Apart

Power Up

I waited, didn’t want to break the silence.

“Why are you here anyway? What is this place?” someone spoke. I looked down, fidgeting with my hands.

“I’m different to you all. Would you believe me if I say I’m not human?” These words seem to echo longer, like it was being held in the cold atmosphere.

They didn’t seem convinced. Some gave me a full scan, struggling to see how I was different.

“I look like a normal human. But actually, I’m a mutant.”

“You’re a what?” Jungkook asked nervously.

“A mutant.” I repeated. Slightly more confident saying it a second time. The silence grew more and more threatening.

“What does that mean?”

“Sounds clichéd but, I have powers.” They froze and stared at me like they didn’t understand. I sounded embarrassed. They probably think I have mental issues. It was somewhat strange, since I am talking to a different species and that I’m no longer the same as them.

“Powers?”

“What powers?” The questions of confusion and disbelief started to fire.

“It’s not important. The important thing is that you guys believe me.”

They seemed slightly ashamed. The fear and cowardice nature of human beings were shown.

“So that’s why you’re locked up?” Jin asked.

Shaking my head, “I was being stupid. I couldn’t yet control my powers properly and I was using them incautiously. And some accidents happened.”

“What accidents?”

“I burnt down a building.”

Jungkook’s mouth dropped. Others looked anxious whilst the wind whistled outside.

“I didn’t mean to do any of this, it was all an accident and no one was killed because at the end I managed to control it slightly. I promise if you let me out I will not ever use my powers again. I just want to live my normal life.”

Suga pulled him back into their circle.

 

*

“But what about what your aunt said.”

“She won’t lie to us. She’s always been nice in high school.”

“She just said she’s a mutant. She could be dangerous.”

“Why don’t we come back another time?”

“I don’t have time. I need to save my sister.”

 

After some minutes of mumbling, he came up to me. “I’ll help you put them out. But you have to help me save my sister.”

“Yes! I promise I will!”

Taking the rusty candle snuffer, he walked up to the candles. He paused.

What am I doing right now? Should I be doing this? Why did aunt told me not to touch anything?

 

“What’s the matter?” I could tell he’s still unsure.

“I really need to get out of here I’ve had enough. I mean, look at me I’ve got nothing. Even nothing to wear. I only have a cat.” I gestured towards the couch where my black little creature was hiding.

“It’s not that hard.” I walked over to him, gently grabbing his hand with the snuffer and taking it towards the candle.

“No wait,” he pulled back a little.

“It’s easy just put it out.”

“No how about you do it,”

I gripped harder, “I can’t touch it.”

We were struggling and his hand slipped away, which launched my hand into the snuffer. A hot burn travelled to my skin, leaving a red ripple on the surface of the metal surface, which soon disappeared. I cried. Soon, a crackling sound started from around, like a fire. That familiar sense of fear came racing back at me. I looked at him in horror.

“You promised why don’t you help me!” My tears came burning my face, as I shuffled backwards.

“I don’t want to stay here any longer!” I sprinted towards the front door. Just when I reached it, I took a leap towards the open world outside. Crying for the fresh air, the expected thick vines wrapped around my waist, and soon around my arms and legs. I screeched, whilst being pulled and dragged back along the floor. I watched as the door getting further away, and reaching out with my arms. A swooping sound echoed through the room, as more vines took quick, sharp whips, slicing my back, one after another. I gasped for air, as warm blood leaked onto the floor in front of me. At last, I was pulled onto the steps in front of the couch, before the vines withdrew. Breathing heavily, I couldn’t dare to lay on my back. It almost as if I was cooked alive on my backside. Every time I’d wish everything would just end.