Past: A tint of colour

Power Up

I watched quietly as they all started chatting.

“I wonder what food they’re ordering us,” Lisa said, while scrolling through her phone.

“I don’t know but I like Thai food. Why don’t you talk to other people?” I asked.

“They’re all speaking canto and I can’t understand. Thank god I have you,” she laughed.

I smiled back, “But you’re in the same house. Your leader was nice, asking me to come along.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know. You should be able to talk to them; you can understand them.” Our table got noisier, whilst we sat on the end.

“It’s awkward if I talk to them. I don’t know them that well. You obviously spend more time with them. I don’t want to be anti social either,” I took a sip of water.

“I don’t even know…”

“I thought Jennie would sit with us,” I watched as she laughed with the others on the other end of the table.

“Nah, she has her friends,” Lisa said.

“I guess she’s popular.”

Later on, the food arrived. Lisa and I chatted between ourselves. I liked the company within the loneliness. We both knew we weren’t first preference. But I was glad I came with her, even though I was slightly hoping we were to socialise more. I agree with Lisa. Thank god I have her.

After dinner, the table got more interactive, with the others walking around to talk to different people. Rap Mon came over to us. He sat down, began talking to Lisa. At first, she was a little shy, but I joined in, making her a little more comfortable. Soon, they started joking around, just when I realised, he didn’t take any notice of me. When I spoke, only Lisa replied. I tried to text Jisoo, but again she never replied. I thought we made a friend, but more like I was being ignored. I felt like an outsider. However, I went with the flow, and pretended I was involved.

 

*

I packed my books, before closing my locker. Everyone was rushing out the house room. As I struggled past people, I got a tap on the shoulder. I turned around.

“Hey.”

“Jisoo! Where are you going?”

“I’m going to the library,” she said as she hugged onto her books.

“But it’s lunch time.”

“I have to study, sorry.”

I pouted at her. She obviously hasn’t noticed I texted her the other night at that dinner.

“You can come with me,” she laughed.

“I’m not allowed to eat in the library.”

She looked down, nodding.

“Don’t worry I’ll see you after class,” she smiled.

 

“Hey, how was study?” I asked.

“Yeah not too bad. I got a lot done.” Jisoo seemed satisfied.

“There’s way too much homework I don’t even understand how to do,” I complained.

“Maths?”

“Yeah. And chem.”

“Don’t worry! You can do this,” she patted me on the head.

“No I’m dying,” I roared, as people around turned to look at me. I covered my mouth, before we both started laughing quietly.

We both walked through the school gates, before we hugged and took our paths.

 

Taking heavy steps with my school bag, I made my way to the car, where my aunt was waiting.

“Hi,” she greeted.

“Hey,” I mumbled, with a deep breath out.

“What’s the matter?”

“Nothing, just really tired,” I said closing my eyes.

“Of course you are. Your school bag is way too heavy it’s just crazy!” she complained, like always, before she drove off. Even a five minute drive really drags me to sleep. 

*

 

 

How is the flashback from past to present within the chapters? Is it a good transition or is it just annoying?? Also I've swapped the chapters around a bit.