Promadrama

Prom-a-Drama

Jinyoung steadies his breath when they walk out. It’s fine, no biggie. Mark Tuan just touched his crotch, that’s all. Nothing to worry about. Not like he would do it again. But if he did, Jinyoung thinks that’s fine too. Which, what? Does that mean that Jinyoung wants him to do it again?

No, no, no. Just that, he supposes that he’s not opposed to it. Or whatever? Ugh, this is giving Jinyoung a headache.

Jinyoung already feels stressed, and they haven’t even entered the venue yet. But if there’s anything Jinyoung will take pride in, it’s his fierce determination to get what he wants.

The unofficial title of being Valedictorian? Jinyoung is has that in the bag, even if both Seulgi and him have the same GPA. Saving Drama Club? Crossed off his checklist! Class President? Well, that one didn’t turn out exactly as he wanted, but he still achieved Vice President so that has to count for something.

And now, Mark. Jinyoung wants Mark. He wants the older boy to hold his hand a little longer, kiss his cheeks a little softer, and hug him a little tighter.

“Ready?” Mark asks, holding out his arm.

“I think you should be asking yourself that.” He declares with a smirk as he loops his arm around Mark’s. They walk towards the entrance, taking in the pleasant atmosphere hovering around them like fog in slow motion. More than half the student body has to be here, if the fullness of the parking lot is anything to go by. When they reach the passageway leading into the hall, Jinyoung’s jaw almost drops.

Jinyoung’s . The whole place looks fantastic.

The door that leads inside is covered in balloons, colors ranging from snowy white to winter blue and every shade in between. Sparkly paper snowflakes hang from the ceiling in various sizes, some as small as Mark’s hands, others twice the size of Jinyoung’s head.

Mark and Jinyoung provide their tickets and identification to the person at the entrance. They both give him a showy grin before he gives the nod to go ahead.

Jinyoung pulls Mark along, arms still locked together. He feels the faint thrum of the music that’s certainly playing inside the venue. The walkway connecting the entrance to the atrium is pretty short. The carpet is a mild navy blue that’s littered with fake snow. Jinyoung looks down at his attire and then at Mark’s matching one. As if having the same thought, Mark asks Jinyoung the question floating in his mind.

“Why are we wearing red and white again if the theme is Winter Prom?”

“Because, Markie, we look good in red and white,” Jinyoung answers as he clutches Mark’s arm a bit more snugly. “Plus, we’ll be standing out.”

“Standing out isn’t always a good thing, princess.”

“Tsk. Mark, please. Royalty must always stand out.” Jinyoung squeezes his arm and pulls him along excitedly. “Now come on, let's find our friends.”

There’s a grand staircase to walk down on before they can reach bulk of the party. White branches are scattered about the place, and Jinyoung thinks they’re supposed to look like snowy branches. Numerous round tables are placed meticulously around the place, all covered with a white lace tablecloth. Aquamarine vases filled with white roses act as centerpieces of each table, surrounded by sapphire colored battery-powered candlelights. The chairs are also covered in white, each tied with a beautiful, big, cerulean bow.

Jinyoung has to hand it to Seulgi and the planning committee for pulling off such a breathtaking display. Does the school even have enough money to pay for all of this ?

“Princess.”

Jinyoung was so mesmerized by the decoration that he didn’t realize Mark had let go of his arm. The older boy is now on the first step, hand held out like one would to royalty, smiling toothily at Jinyoung.

“Markie-poo,” Jinyoung bows before taking his hand. As he does so, Mark bends down to kiss it, and Jinyoung feels electricity run up his veins from where Mark’s lips touched his skin. They descend the stairs together, sticking out like a sore thumb with their red and white suits on a blue and white background. The air around them feels heavy, and for a few seconds, it seems as if all the eyes are on them. There’s a collective hush gathering around the crowd, as if their presence required the full attention of the student body.

“Finally getting treated the way I’m supposed to be,” Jinyoung jokingly whispers to Mark, even though he’s nervous from so many pairs of eyes watching them. The older boy giggles, and it’s such a cute noise that Jinyoung still wonders how such an innocent sound can come out of someone so strikingly handsome.

When they reach the end of the steps, everybody returns to what they were doing. And Jinyoung wonders if that’s how it was for everyone when they entered, looking at a giant sea of people, with their heart stuck in their throat.

“I think I see them,” Mark points to one of the tables on the far side. And sure enough, Jaebum and Youngjae are already sitting at one of the tables on the far side. Youngjae waves with his whole body when he sees them, grinning widely as he does so. Jaebum on the other hand is a little more reserved in his greeting, preferring to provide one short wave, a quick nod, and a strained smile.

The two make a beeline for their friends with suspicious ease. It was as if the crowd parted like the Red Sea, but only wide enough for the two of them so that the split isn’t too noticeable.

“Hey, guys!” Youngjae greets happily! He bounces off his chair and into his feet to give Mark and Jinyoung a hug. “About time!”

“We’re not that late, are we?” Jinyoung asks.

“I guess it could’ve been worse.” The younger boy answers.

Jinyoung goes to Jaebum and gives him a quick side hug, as the older boy pats his lower back reassuringly. They’re not ones who require physical reassurance as a validation of their close friendship.

“Where are the others?” Mark asks to fill the silence.

“Yugyeom and Bambam have gone to the dancefloor,” Youngjae points out. Sure enough, somewhere in the middle of the sweaty crowd, Jinyoung can see the tell tale hint of silver-blonde next to dark hair shaped like a coconut.

“Jackson isn’t here yet?” Jinyoung wonders.

“Not that I’ve seen.”

Just as Youngjae replies, the whole place lulls down to a hush. Sure enough, there’s a couple on the top of the staircase, and Jinyoung has to blink twice before being certain that the boy is none other than Jackson Wang. He sure does clean up well, bleach blonde slicked back to show off his smooth forehead. He’s donning an all white suit with matching pants and tie, a black button up shirt peeking out from dip of his jacket.

Next to him is a woman that emits her own shine, an undertone that’s not too bright but is evident if Jinyoung stares long enough. Her attire is as beautiful as it is simplistic, a white gown that tunnels out like an umbrella similar to the dresses worn by Disney princesses. The top is finished with pearl lining, her up in a plain half ponytail while the rest lay down her shoulders in gorgeous waves.

Ever the gentleman, Jackson holds out his hand. His date takes it, and as she does, Jackson bends down to kiss her hand the way Mark did with Jinyoung. They descend down the staircase in graceful manner, genuine smiles on display as they glide towards their table.

The woman is even more mesmerizing upon closer inspection. Her half ponytail is finished with two braids that meet at the back, dark hair sparkling with natural gloss. Jackson introduces her to everyone as Lee Jieun.

“Nice to meet you,” Mark says and dutifully shakes her hand. “I’m Mark, Jackson’s best friend.”

She gives him a soft, cheek-to-cheek and goes around to do the same with everyone. And when she gets to Jinyoung, he introduces himself as “Jinyoung, Mark’s boyfriend.”

It feels so natural to his lips now after saying it so many times in the last couple months. Maybe it’s the way it sticks to his tongue, like the lingering taste of Mark’s sweet kiss. Or the way it clings onto his lips, like Mark scent, a modest mixture of powdery wood, a dab of citrus, and the tiniest tinge of sage. Whatever the case, Jinyoung is so used to saying it now that he doesn’t mind letting the world know that Mark is his boyfriend.

During their first hour, everyone simply gets acquainted with Jieun as they sip on tropical juice. They find out that she’s from the rivaling school that the basketball team played against a couple of weeks ago. Jackson proudly announces that she a great singer, which causes Youngjae and Jaebum to snatch her up immediately for a deep conversation about music. Bambam and Yugyeom return from their dance extravaganza, faces glazed with sweat but grinning like lovestruck fools nonetheless.

They’re talking, and laughing, and having a smashing time until Bambam notices that Jongin and his posse are scattered methodically around the whole place, each of them talking to a group of people. At this, Mark bites his lip and wrings his hands, which Jinyoung thinks is a sign of anger and nervousness.

Yugyeom suggests doing the same thing, but Mark shakes his head.

“No, it’s okay,” he says coldly. “Let them beg.”

Jinyoung looks at him, confused. It seems almost like Mark is giving up, or at least showing less interest about the title of Prom King. Then Mark turns to Jinyoung and holds his hand.

“I’d rather enjoy my time here with my friends.”

Jinyoung feels a tight squeeze in his chest along with a tingly sensation buzzing on the surface of his skin. Mark’s eyes are on him, and Jinyoung senses the heaviness in them, an interesting combination of want, and need, and now. Just as he perceives it all, the beginning notes of an easy-paced song starts to play. At this, Mark gives him a cheeky smile and bends down with his hands out.

“May I have this dance?”

Jinyoung, noticing his friends’ eyes on him, almost chokes on his pineapple juice. He regains himself quickly though and arches his back and juts his chest out much like a prince.

“Yes, you may.”

When he grabs Mark’s hand, the older boy immediately pulls them towards the center of the dancefloor, once again the crowd parting for them like they’re the stars of the show. In the middle, Mark places Jinyoung’s hands on his shoulders as he holds Jinyoung by the waist.

“You look lovely tonight,” Mark compliments him. Jinyoung, refusing to feel embarrassed, accepts it with ease and agrees.

“Yes,” he replies. “I certainly hope so.”

Mark giggles, but doesn’t say any more. As the silence between continues, Jinyoung begins to feel the urge to keep the conversation going, to retain Mark’s attention on him and him only.

“Were you expecting me to say more?” Jinyoung challenges.

“No,” Mark says simply. “Just basking in your beauty.”

“Silly,” Jinyoung snickers and slaps him lightly on the shoulder. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were flirting with me.”

“Not at all,” Mark replies, rubbing the spot where he just got hit.

Jinyoung then takes Mark’s chin in his hand and tilts it up. “And if I didn’t know any better, I think you want me to flirt back.”

“I was fishing for compliments, princess.”

Jinyoung leans in, lips grazing the tip of Mark’s ear.

“It’s not good to lie, Markie.”

Jinyoung pulls back, heart stammering in his chest. Even under the dim lighting, Jinyoung can see how Mark’s cheeks begin to redden.

They spend precious minutes just dancing with each other, talking about all the things that have happened in their short time together. How Mark’s grade in Chemistry, despite not doing well on the exam, is a lot better than the track it was bound to go down on. How Jinyoung’s popularity and overall number of acquaintances had increased thanks to being paired with a certain basketball player. They talk about how some folks in the drama club are becoming friends with some of the basketball players. They talk about how Sooyoung had threatened Mark the first time he came over, a fact that shocked Jinyoung.

They reminisce about the beginning, how it all started with the meeting with Principal Park and how Bambam and Jinyoung literally ran into each other. The middle, when they went on to The Little Bird’s Nest Café. When Mark fake confessed to Jinyoung with the whole school watching. When they went shopping. When they kissed after basketball game. They talked about this and that until there’s nothing left of their journey to talk about other than now, this moment right here.

During this whole talk, people have said hi and bye. Yuju from glee club, Jinyoung’s cute underling Doyoung, even his previous crush Wonpil. Some folks also made small talk like Mark’s teammates, Mark’s friend Taehyung, even Suzy and her date. Sooyoung also waltzed by, as well as the cheerleaders. They all wished Mark good luck, and both Mark and Jinyoung thanked them.

A glance at the clock shows that a couple of hours have passed, but it only felt like minutes to Jinyoung. Time has this annoying habit of ticking by too quickly when all you want it to do is to extend as long as possible.

Until now, Jinyoung has his arms around Mark, and they’re swaying to the music. Staring at each other, this close, just like this, has Jinyoung shivering with nervous energy. It’s like the colors of the surrounding tones down to a mellow gray, the music playing around them rolling down in a descending arpeggio. Nothing else seems to matter other than Jinyoung and Mark and the places where they touch.

And there’s that feeling again, of pieces falling into place, of things feeling Just RightTM. It’s similar to what he felt when he locked lips with Mark while baking cookies. But this sensation is softer, just as real but far more pleasant. While the other one was filled with passion, this one is filled with comfort and sincerity. While the other was full of intense heat and strong desire, this one envelops them in a blanket of warmth that shields them from the immediate vicinity.

Jinyoung so badly wants to speak, ask the many questions running around his head, but he’s afraid of ruining the moment. Not only that, he’s scared of the answers that Mark will give. The way Mark is looking at him now, with stars on his lips and the moon in his eyes, has Jinyoung weak at the knees.

“I don’t think I ever properly thanked you,” Jinyoung whispers as they glide across the dancefloor. Mark gives him a crooked smile.

“No need to thank me for gracing you with my good looks.”

Jinyoung rolls his eyes.

“Thank you for that too.” He laughs lightly. “But really, on a more serious note… We would not have had that big an audience if it wasn’t for your help.”

Jinyoung flushes at the concentrated look that Mark is giving him. Mark for his part, seems satisfied with watching Jinyoung, so the younger boy can do nothing but wait for Mark to answer.

“And on a more serious note… It was my absolute pleasure to be your fake boyfriend, Park Jinyoung.”

He doesn’t miss the way Mark emphasizes fake, as if the word is as dirty as it is insignificant. He feels his heart beating faster with every second, yet feels it calming down to a softer rhythm as they dance, which is impossible. How can his heart pump faster and slower at the same time? He’s not sure. But what he is sure of is the warmth of Mark’s breath near his face. What he is sure of is the overwhelming desire to close the distance between them.

Mark brings up a hand to caress Jinyoung’s cheeks, his thumb swiping just underneath his eyes. Jinyoung’s breath catches in his throat when he sees Mark move infinitesimally closer, eyes squinting at a spot just under Jinyoung’s lower lashes.

“Are you wearing concealer?” Mark asks, grinning. Jinyoung can’t help but giggle at the sentence that started it all. He thinks back to that day, what felt like forever ago, when his whole world came crashing down due to the principal’s ultimatum. He wonders how everything would have occurred had Mark and Jinyoung not gone with this plan, how agonizingly slow his months would have gone by.

“I most definitely am,” Jinyoung says, smirking. “Looks like you could use a bit, to be frank with you.”

Mark scoffs. “I do not.”

Jinyoung looks around to find his friends. Jaebum and Youngjae have their arms around each other closeby, Bambam and Yugyeom chatting away near the wall, while Jackson is keeping Jieun entertained near the punch. He seems to be doing a swell job as she’s constantly laughing with behind a gloved hand. But seeing a glimpse of Jongin with his date has Jinyoung thinking about more important things than his growing feelings for Mark Tuan.

“So.” Jinyoung his lips. He notices that Mark’s eyes flick ever so quickly at the action.

“So.”

“When are they going to announce who wins Prom King and Queen?”

Mark shrugs. “Hopefully soon.”

“What do you think about your chances of winning?” Jinyoung probes.

“I think… I think whatever happens happens,” Mark says thoughtfully. “If I lose, I lose. If I win, I win, but hopefully it’s the latter.”

“Whatever happened to the cool and confident Mark Tuan?”

“Princess, you thought I was cool and confident?”

Darn Jinyoung for falling into that one, so instead he opts for sincerity. “Totally.”

It seems that honesty from Jinyoung catches Mark off guard, most probably expecting a witty retort of some sort.

“He’s still in there somewhere,” Mark answers. “Just underneath all of the layers.”

Jinyoung takes two handfuls of Mark’s suit and pulls him forward, a rush of courageous energy flowing through him.

 These layers?”

Mark laughs. “Yes, those. But also imaginary ones.” Mark takes Jinyoung’s hands and gently pries them off his clothes. “Not in public, princess.”

Jinyoung rolls his eyes. “You wish, Markie.”

Mark doesn’t answer, simply stares at Jinyoung with dark, clouded eyes. He’s been doing that a lot lately. And the younger can’t do anything but gulp and feel flushed from such an intense stare. His throat feels dry, but he needs to say something or else he’ll crumble under Mark’s sharp gaze.

Fortunately, a new song starts, and Jinyoung uses this to his advantage. The music is silvery and hushed, a ballad about feeling warm during the harsh bite of Winter’s chill. It’s fitting for the Prom’s theme, yet also strangely fitting for Jinyoung’s situation, meeting someone during the end of an unkind Winter who then became his Spring.

Jinyoung has his head resting on Mark’s shoulder, hands tied around Mark’s lower back, with Mark doing the same. Their feet move of their own accord, but there’s no discord between their movements, just rhythm and rhyme. Jinyoung likes the heaviness of Mark’s head on his shoulder, feels warm in Mark’s arms, hopes Mark feels just as safe and sound. They sway to the easygoing beat, focused more on each other rather than their slow dancing. There’s a hazy atmosphere that surrounds both of them, like entering a dreamy state with sparkles and snowflakes swirling around them.

The sweet song gradually comes to a finish, but Jinyoung doesn’t let Mark go, glad that Mark doesn’t want to do so either. However, their moment is interrupted when the static of the mic reverberates around the venue.

“How’s everybody doing tonight?” The host asks after the song finishes. The crowd cheers. Apparently, everyone is doing swell.

“It looks like they’re about to decide the winner,” Jinyoung breathes out and steps back a bit, feeling nervous all of a sudden. It’s the final lap, the moment of truth.

“Let’s not talk about that,” Mark says. “Let’s talk about more important matters.”

Jinyoung furrows his brows. What’s more important than winning Prom King right now? Isn’t that what they’ve done all this for, what they spent their precious time working towards? The light at the end of the tunnel. The end goal. The end... It feels bitter in Jinyoung’s mouth.

The crowd laughs at something the host says, but Jinyoung hasn’t been listening. As soon the laughter dies down, the person on the mic speaks up again.

“Can I please have all Prom Royalty contestants to the stage?” He says. And oh gosh, Jinyoung’s heart does a somersault. This is it, this is the moment they’ve been waiting for. He turns back to Mark, eyes questioning.

“What can be more important than being crowned Prom Royalty? During Prom night, no less?”

“What happens after it.” Mark answers, eyes unwavering. His lips are set in a flat line, face unreadable. Jinyoung never knew Mark had such a poker face.

“What happens when all of this is over?” Mark continues, gesturing at the wintry stage and the talking host while the Prom crowns are settled beautifully in the center. Mark then takes Jinyoung’s hands in his, and Jinyoung feels the jittery energy thrumming from the older boy’s fingertips. “Win or lose, what are we going to do after this?”

Jinyoung doesn’t know. Contrary to what people believe, Jinyoung doesn’t know everything, doesn’t have an answer to every question or a solution to every problem. Apparently, Jinyoung takes too long to think, because he sees Bae Suzy at the corner of his eyes waiting anxiously for Mark.

He wants so much for whatever this is to continue, for their fake relationship to lose that first word. He wants things to be official, as real as this all has felt. Jinyoung wants, once and for all, for them to be true to themselves, to their feelings, and to each other.

“Well, after that,” Jinyoung starts, squeezing Mark’s hands, heart threatening to beat out of his rib cage. “After that, I guess it’s time to stop pretending.”

Jinyoung doesn’t have time to expand on his answer because Suzy steps up close to them, graceful smile plastered onto her face. “Are you ready, Mark?”

Mark turns to her, as if surprised that other people were present.

“We’re the only ones they’re waiting for.” Suzy explains. And sure enough, when Jinyoung looks up, every contestant is there. Jinyoung gives Mark’s hand another quick squeeze.

“Good luck.” Jinyoung whispers sincerely.

Mark looks longingly at him, eyes shiny, and gives him a soft smile. “Thank you, Jinyoung-ah.”

Jinyoung’s breath catches. That’s the first time Mark has called him that, and he doesn’t know whether he should celebrate or feel worried. He should make clear what he meant by his reply earlier. Jinyoung can talk to him at the end of this whole thing. But for now, he can only watch Mark walk away with Suzy, eyes following them as they make their way to the stage.

The host is saying something, probably making small talk or some other nonsense. He doesn’t care, only cares about one person up there. Mark is standing next to Suzy, back straight and majestic. Their visual prowess really is stunning. They look like real life modern royalty.

“Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between,” the host begins. “The moment we’ve all been waiting for…”

Jinyoung surveys Mark, willing for him to look back here as well. And like responding to a beacon, Mark finds Jinyoung’s line of sight. Jinyoung gives him a smile and a thumbs up, Mark replying with a furrowed brow and a nervous, close-lipped smile.

“The crowning of this year’s Prom Royalty!”

The crowd screams in excitement. This truly must have been a tight race. Jinyoung for his part keeps his attention to Mark. He produces a bow and arrow made of finger hearts and shoots one towards him. The older boy catches it with a smirk, holds it in his hand for a couple of seconds before stowing it safely in his suit pocket. Jinyoung bites back a grin.

“And the winners are…”

***

Mark Tuan doesn’t think he’s ever known the satisfaction of being validated by love. Being the youngest child, one would think that he is the most fussed over, the one whom mom and dad took care of the most. But that’s not the case. Quite opposite, in fact.

His eldest sibling received the most love out of all of them, but even that doesn’t compare to the affection and devotion that a regular parent should give a child. Mark’s parents were workaholics, still are, and that’s why his family is rich. His parents are never home.

Funny how the amount of love a child receives is inversely proportional to the number of hours their parents spend working.

Mark remembers his birthday party when he turned 6. It was supposed to be a great time with great toys and great fun (that was what his parents promised), but he realized he didn’t know any of the kids that came to his party. The children who attended were the sons and daughters of his parents’ partners and coworkers. The only people he knew were his siblings and his parents. Not even their cousins and aunts and uncles showed up. A dull ache invaded his chest when, by the end of the day, nobody even offered to play with him. When Mark became older, he realized that the reason he slowly lost contact with his extended family was because his parents chose money over them.

He remembers spending the summer alone when he was 8 years old. Looking back, it seems like grade school is a time integral for social interaction, but Mark just was not good at interacting with people. Especially not with snot-nosed children who Mark swore were spawns of Satan. Which was why when summer break started, he had no plans of going out to play with anyone. Instead, he spent his time collecting mosquitoes by the creek and keeping them as his pets. Sadly for him, they died rather quickly when he left them in the mason jars. He cried every time one of his mosquito pets would stop moving and lay supine at the bottom of the glass. He didn’t know why he grieved their small deaths; they’re just bugs afterall.

He remembers Christmas when he was 12, getting so many presents from his mom and dad. Mark thought that would be the time when they all finally start spending time together again, sure the the happy holidays would ignite a spark on a candle long burnt out. All of the presents they gave him were materialistic, game consoles and video games, even a brand new computer to spend his precious time on. His two older siblings received materialistic things as well. They don’t really play with him, his sister too busy with her new high school drama and his brother already busy with college. Later on, he realized that he has nobody to invite over to play these video games with, and finds that while playing alone makes you really skilled at games, it also just makes you feel really lonely.

There were so many instance in which Mark felt alone, but not many memories of feeling happy and satisfied. Which is why this is so important to Mark. He will no longer wonder what he had done to push his parents away. He will no longer ask what was wrong with himself. Because if he wins this, he’ll know that the fault is with his parents and not in him. If he wins Prom King, he’ll feel validated.

But most importantly, he’ll win the bet. And he’ll tell Jinyoung, about his affection for him, this deep emotion that runs deeper and wider than any river known to man. And Jinyoung will hopefully accept him, and this feeling of loneliness for the past 18 years will finally go away. Go away.

So Mark closes his eyes and folds his hands together. He takes a deep breath, hopes, prays that the name that comes out of the announcer’s mouth is Mark’s.

***

“Jongin and Seulgi!”

Mark’s heart plummets. The smile on his face weighs him down. His limbs feel weak, arms and legs similar to jelly. He just lost. Oh god, he just lost.

He looks at Jongin and Seulgi receiving the crowns, eyes seeing through them. Everybody claps, even Mark. His hands do it on their own. The smile on his face is hard to keep on though, but he tries anyway. It seems the cards were simply not in Mark’s hands. He feels dizzy.

Jongin and Seulgi do their traditional Prom Royalty dance in the center, but all Mark can think about right now is the fact that he lost. Suzy squeezes his hand, but he merely gives her a sad smile, an expression that he’s sure mirrors Suzy’s.

He turns to the crows and catches Youngjae and Jaebum’s eyes, both of whom look apologetic. He sees Yugyeom and Bambam by the wall they’ve cornered themselves into, looking shocked and confused. Jackson has a worried expression on his face. , Mark lost. He lost the title. He lost the bet. Oh my god, he probably also lost Jinyoung.

Oh god, Jinyoung. He looks the most mournful, the least happy, as if he feels Mark’s raging emotions. A dangerous combination of anger, sadness, and regret.

The contestants get off the stage one by one, and Mark finds himself gravitating towards Jinyoung. Who else can console him other than the person he’s been with most in the last couple of months? Who else can make him feel better, be better, other than the boy who he’s had affection for since probably the beginning?

He may have lost the bet, but , Mark isn’t going to sit by and let Jinyoung pass him by.

“Jinyoung,” Mark calls as soon as he gets close.

“Mark,” Jinyoung’s arms are around him as soon as he gets near enough. “I’m so sorry, Mark. You totally deserved it. You-”

“It’s okay.”

Jinyoung pulls back, arms still around Mark’s neck.

“Of course, it’s not! There’s no way you would have lost. I bet he threatened people to-”

“Princess, it’s okay.” Mark tries.

“But-”

“Jinyoung-ah,” Mark attempts once more, this time caressing his cheek. It seems to get Jinyoung’s attention. “I need to get something off my chest before I chicken out.”

At this, the younger boy quiets down. His eyes are big and wondering.

“Before any of this, I usually took pride in being brave.” Mark begins. Jinyoung gulps. “But there’s just something about you that holds me rooted to the spot when I want to move, shuts me up when I want to speak.”

Jinyoung blinks. Mouth open, but no sound is coming out, so Mark continues.

There’s so many things he wants to say but fails to express, how Jinyoung has been in his mind everyday. How almost everything he senses is Jinyoung. Jinyoung who looks as dashing as any prince, sharp and soft in the right places. Jinyoung who possesses his own elements that can change the chemistry in his general vicinity. Jinyoung who can wreak havoc upon any city, more powerful than Mother Nature and Father Time combined.

There’s so many things he can say, can list a hundred reasons why Jinyoung is amazing. But Mark doesn’t want to be vague, wants to be as direct and as clear as possible. He can’t manage to get this wrong, so he settles for a simple message. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

“Princess,” Mark whispers, lungs overworked from breathing so hard. His voice is rough from it. The chatter dies down to a soft hum around them, but nobody is paying them any attention. Mark is grateful because this moment is reserved for them and them only. He looks directly at Jinyoung’s eyes, wants convey the utter truth and certainty of his next statement.

“I like you.” Mark’s voice feels a little raw. Jinyoung looks at him with confusion, then shock, then finally deep adoration. “Will you please be my boyfriend? My real boyfriend?”

Jinyoung doesn’t answer for a bit, seemingly content in watching Mark in front of him. And Mark isn’t sure if he’s done the right thing by confessing, but he can’t back out now, not when his heart and happiness are on the line. Thankfully, Jinyoung doesn’t keep him waiting.

Jinyoung is a good actor, but Mark thinks he knows him well enough to know when the boy is acting. And this? This isn’t actor Jinyoung. He’s biting his lips, eyes moist and big and searching.

And then Jinyoung’s lips are on his. They sigh into it, feeling at home. This moment is what Mark has been waiting for, a kiss initiated by Jinyoung. Jinyoung brings them closer by wrapping his arms around Mark’s neck, as if afraid that this moment is evanescent. Mark knows the feeling, so he pulls Jinyoung into a tight embrace, arms warm against Jinyoung’s lower back. And it feels real. Mark’s loud heart, Jinyoung’s trembling hand. It’s more tangible than the sweat dripping down his forehead. Time slows down to let them enjoy this moment, and Mark is thankful that time is on their side.

“It would be my pleasure.”

***

Their friends go up to them during the end, giving them sympathy for his loss. But Mark is fine. He’s better than fine, he’s great. the crown if it meant that he can be Jinyoung’s boyfriend instead.

Mark and Jinyoung make it back to the Park residence by 1:00 am, where Jinyoung asks him if he’d like to stay over. Mrs. Park says that it’s okay as long as they keep the door open, so Mark doesn’t say no, content with this new Jinyoung who wants him for his own.

Upon sleeping over Jinyoung’s place, Mark discovers four new things.

First, the bouquet of flowers that he provided for Jinyoung after his Spring performance has its own corner in Jinyoung’s room, along with the other gifts that he had given him. And this fact has him heady with the thought that even back then, Jinyoung felt enough for Mark to keep his gifts in it’s own exclusive place.

Second, talking to your person until the sun takes a peek to start a new day is truly relaxing. They reminisce about their last few months, how they’re thankful that it started with the fact that Jinyoung stole his sister’s concealer. They talk about that first date at the Little Bird’s Nest Café, how Mark had been jealous even from that first time. They also talk about Jinyoung’s waning crush with Wonpil, to which the younger replied honestly, Markie, I’ve been over it. They look back at their antics, Mark’s daily use of the word princess, and how much Jinyoung liked it. Secretly, of course.

Third, sleeping at night feels a lot warmer when you share body heat with a special person. Mark thinks that the way Jinyoung snores lightly with his eyes fully closed and mouth slightly open is the cutest thing he’s ever seen. He may or may not have taken photos, but that’s for him to know and for nobody else to find out.

And fourth, kissing Jinyoung is really, truly, most definitely fun.