Struckarama

Prom-a-Drama

When Jinyoung gets home, his ears sting from how his mom had pulled at it until he settled onto the couch. He’s about to plead for forgiveness when his mom surprises him by saying that she looked up some stuff on the internet.

This makes Jinyoung pause. He thinks it is about to happen, and he kind of feels like vomiting just at the thought of it.

“What kind of stuff?” Jinyoung asks suspiciously.

“I know that being at your age, you have certain… urges to practice things.” She begins, looking as uncomfortable as Jinyoung feels.

“Oh my god, Mom, no please.” He stays rooted to his seat because he doesn’t want to get into any more trouble than he already has.

“And these urges can sometimes have dangerous possibilities.”

“I know all of these, Mom. I had education already.” Jinyoung begs. “Please, just ground me.”

“I don’t trust that your teachers taught you kids everything,” His mom says sternly. She then goes to sit next to Jinyoung, sweetness overcoming the rage that dominated her aura just moments before.

“Honey,” she tries again, soft as she caresses his cheeks. “I just don’t want you getting ually transmitted infections.”

Jinyoung sighs.

“I know, Mom.” Jinyoung looks down now, feeling heat pool in his cheeks. “I haven’t yet… with anyone, by the way. So, yeah, you don’t need to worry about that.”

“Fantastic!” Her voice is back to its usual shrill. “Now, do you know what a is?”

Jinyoung’s head springs up at this, and seemingly out of nowhere, his mom is holding up a packet and a cucumber. An honest to god cucumber.

“Oh my god!” Jinyoung has never stood up so quickly. “This isn’t happening.”

Nope nope nope. He quickly makes his way to his room.

“Park Jinyoung, come back here right now!”

Jinyoung shuts his door and locks it. His mom doesn’t try after that, but she does tell him he’s grounded until Friday.

 

***

 

The first time Jinyoung sees Jackson again, it’s on Monday morning in between periods.

Jackson is by his locker when Jinyoung spots him, and feeling like whatever is going on between them needs to be resolved, Jinyoung marches towards the older boy.

“Hey, Jackson,” Jinyoung greets warmly, or at least as warm as he can muster. Jackson looks slightly shocked at the fact that Jinyoung is even talking to him.

“Oh, hi.” Jackson closes his locker. “What’s up?”

Jinyoung doesn’t think now is the time to skirt around the bush, so he takes a deep breath as he gathers his courage.

“Why do you hate me?”

There’s an awkward silence after that. Jinyoung doesn’t take his eyes off of the older boy. It takes a few moments before the Jackson answers.

“I don’t hate you though.”

“Tsk. It’s not good to lie, Jackson Wang.” Jinyoung challenges.

“Calm your , princess,” Jackson says as he puts his hands up. “Trust me. I don’t actually hate you.”

“Bull,” Jinyoung clenches his fist. “You barely talk to us, and when you do, it’s always rude. Also, don’t call me that.”

“Oh, so Mark is the only one who can call you princess?” Jackson teases. Luckily, Jinyoung doesn’t have to ponder on that question too much since Jackson continues. “Look, if I hated you, would I have done what I did to Jongin’s car?”

So Jinyoung’s suspicion was correct.

“Well…well, thanks for that. But why?” Jinyoung asks, genuinely wondering.

Why be a to Jinyoung but do something like that?

“I saw what he did to you last week,” Jackson admits. It’s like Jinyoung’s brain remembers the pain at the mention of it, feels like the spot where Jongin’s slap stung most seems to be buzzing with subtle ache. “And I felt really bad for not doing anything about it while it happened.”

Jinyoung takes a look at Jackson and sees a side of him that he hasn’t seen before. Even though they’re not close friends (or friends at all for that matter), it’s hard not to notice people you’ve gone to school with in the last ten years. His usual confidence is gone, eyes slightly downcast and lips in a tight line.

“I don’t hate you. I just hate everything that you represent because it’s everything that I don’t have.”

“Everything you don’t have?” Jinyoung laughs. “You’re popular. You’re part of the basketball team. You’re part of Mark ing Tuan’s posse for goodness sake. What could you possibly not have?”

He says it so softly that Jinyoung doesn’t hear it.

“What?”

Jackson looks around as if he’s about to reveal a big secret.

“People think I’m stupid.”

Jinyoung is left speechless for a moment. To think, underneath all that loud exterior and gigantic personality exists an insecure little boy.

“Well, I don’t think you’re stupid.” Jinyoung is surprised at the sincerity behind it. Awkwardly, he reaches for Jackson’s shoulder and pats once, twice, before he pulls it back.

“Tsk. It’s not good to lie, Park Jinyoung.” The younger boy chuckles at his words being repeated back at him. It makes Jackson smirk.

“You know, Mark told me you came up with the idea to run with someone as popular and good looking as Seulgi. I don’t think that’s stupid at all,” Jinyoung says honestly.

Jackson scoffs.

“Come on, any sane person would have thought of that.” The older boy counters. Hmm.

“He also said you came up with the idea of fake dating me to benefit both of us. I have to admit, I was hesitant about the idea in the beginning, but after weighing the pros and cons, I found the idea ingenious.” Jinyoung smiles at Jackson. The older boy, for his part, just remains silent and thoughtful.

“You’re a lot cleverer than people give you credit for,” Jinyoung admits. “More importantly, a lot cleverer than you give yourself credit for.”

At this, Jackson smiles crookedly. The bell rings then, signaling that the next class is about to start.

“Thanks,” Jackson says and lightly punches Jinyoung’s shoulder. “You’re not bad, Park Jinyoung.”

“You too.”

Jackson leaves after that since his class is slightly farther than Jinyoung’s. And as he walks away, Jinyoung notices that the usual spring in Jackson’s step is back.

 

***

 

Lunch time isn’t awkward anymore.

 

Jinyoung chooses to sit between Mark and Jackson nowadays. The first time he’d done it, everyone except Jackson and himself was shocked. Mark had looked flustered at the new friendship budding between Jinyoung and Jackson.

It’s a chain reaction after that, with Bambam and Yugyeom also switching the next day so that Yugyeom is right next to Jackson while Bambam sat next to Jaebum. Mark and Youngjae were together too, and surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) they got along very quickly. Honestly, if Youngjae could break down Jaebum’s walls, he could smash anyone else’s.

Because Jackson hangs around Jinyoung from time to time now, Jongin doesn’t come back to finish what he started.

 

***

 

During the first part of the week, Mark had begged Jinyoung to study with him for the upcoming tests in Advanced Chemistry and Calculus. Curse cute boys who pout cutely. Jinyoung relented and had to ask his parents first, and he promised that he’s going to devote his time at Mark’s house with studying. So of course, his mom made him swear to send photo as proof every half hour, each one with different hand signs that she says on the spot in case he had the photos pre-saved.

That’s how Jinyoung ends up in Mark’s house for the second time in five days.

The first time he was here, he didn’t quite have the time to really look at Mark’s home. This time, however, he takes it all in as Mark rushes to the bathroom as soon as they go inside. The high ceiling looks higher than usual. The walls still have the pearly sheen like last time.

Jinyoung approaches the fireplace where framed photographs sit on top of the brick shelf. He surveys them one by one, notices three photos of Mark. The first is Mark in overalls, no more than five years old. He’s holding an ice cream cone, grinning brightly at the camera with innocence, unaware that his nose had accidentally touched the tip of his ice cream. It makes Jinyoung smile. The second is of him in middle school years holding a video game controller, smiling at the camera, no teeth, just lips. The third is of him during sophomore year. Jinyoung knows this because Mark’s hair is red and poofy and kind of reminds him of ramen. Mark in the photo is in the middle of the gym, left knee bent, right knee on the floor. He’s holding a basketball on his right side, between his hands and his hips. Mark doesn’t grin or smile here, and Jinyoung is kind of sad at how the big shining grin got dimmer and dimmer as Mark grew older. 

Jinyoung doesn’t realize Mark is back until he feels Mark’s warmth right next to him.

“What are you looking at?” He asks, staring at Jinyoung.

“Your pictures,” Jinyoung feels flushed at how quickly and honestly he answers. Distracting boys will be the death of him.

“No need for those silly things,” Mark laughs as he takes Jinyoung’s wrist. “You can look at the real thing right here.”

The older boy grins, reminding Jinyoung of the five year old boy with the creamy nose. Mark turns around and begins pulling Jinyoung up to his room.

“Let’s not waste any time!”

Jinyoung couldn’t agree more.

They start the day with Advanced Chemistry as the exam for that will come first next week with Calculus two days after. Mark needs less help in Calculus, so there’s that too.

It’s exactly 4:00 pm when his mom texts him to send a photo of Mark and Jinyoung holding up the number three. Jinyoung bugs Mark to take the selfie with him, and they both smile at the camera while putting up three fingers.

“That’s cute,” Mark comments. “You should send it to me.”

Jinyoung sends it to both Mark and his mom. Mark’s phone lighting up with a text alert catches Jinyoung’s eye, and he sees a familiar figure looking back at him from Mark’s phone. Without thinking, Jinyoung grabs Mark’s mobile phone before the older boy can reach it.

“Hey!”

He disregards Mark’s sounds of objection. It’s a photo of Jinyoung laughing at some joke or something, because his eyes are closed into little slits, and ever present are his eye whiskers. Adjusting his glasses, Jinyoung feels self-conscious just looking at the tiny screen.

“Why am I your lockscreen?”

Mark tries to look suave.

“We’re supposed to be boyfriends, princess. You’re supposed to be my lockscreen.” There’s a short moment of silence before Mark looks affronted. “Wait a minute, am I not your lockscreen?”

“No?” He feels kind of embarrassed. Is that how it’s supposed to be? Do people who date have each other as their wallpapers?

“I’m disappointed, Park Jinyoung.” Mark says, disapproving. Though Jinyoung can see the slight pink tinge high up on Mark’s cheeks.

“Princess,” Jinyoung points out mindlessly.

“What?”

“What?”

“You just told me to call you ‘princess’” Mark is looking at him with such a bizarre expression.

Jinyoung scoffs.

“No, I didn’t.” Right? Of course not. No way would Jinyoung tell Mark to call him ‘princess’, a nickname he loathes with a passion. “That’s preposterous.”

Because it is. It’s absurd. Outrageous. Asinine, even.

But what’s even more ridiculous is the fact that Jinyoung isn’t absolutely sure that he didn’t say it. Mark watches him for a bit before turning back to their textbook. Jinyoung stays silent after that as they both read about chemical reactions, thoughts of lockscreens and nicknames currently in the back of his head. Time passes by in a blur of elements and reactions and numbers. It’s past sundown when Jinyoung’s stomach growl in an otherwise silent room. Jinyoung chances to look at the other boy to see if he noticed only to find that Mark is already looking at him and holding back a chuckle.

“Are you hungry, princess?” Jinyoung hears the emphasis in the last word, as if Mark is telling him that he won’t forget to call him princess anymore.

“Famished.” Jinyoung replies flatly and begins to put his books and notes away into his backpack. Mark protests quickly though.

“Wait, what are you doing?”

“I’m going home to eat,” Jinyoung answers as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world. Mark scratches the back of his neck as he looks at Jinyoung.

“But you promised last time that you’d stay for dinner.”

“Oh, did I?” Jinyoung says in a manner that suggests he definitely remembers.

“Yes,” Mark juts his lips out in a pout and looks up at Jinyoung under the hoods of his eyes.

“Nope, not with that pout again.”

“Come on, don’t be a buzzkill,” Mark begins to push Jinyoung out the door, down the stairs, and onto the first floor. Jinyoung is no buzzkill, thank you very much. He’s very much the opposite of buzzkill. He’s buzzbirth if anything. Buzzsave, even. Yeah! They make it close to the kitchen before Mark overtakes him and pushes at the door.

“Hey, Megan,” Mark says from the door. Jinyoung stands awkwardly next to him. “Is Mom home yet?”

Jinyoung notes the hopeful tone in Mark’s voice. Megan smiles sadly at him.

“She just called,” Her voice is so intentionally soft, as if she’s trying to place her words carefully so as not to hurt the boy’s feelings. “Says she’s needed to stay until midnight to finish some paperwork.”

“Oh.” And, oh. Jinyoung isn’t used to this Mark. This Mark reminds Jinyoung of a child, and he feels his heart give a tight squeeze at the scene. “Well, okay. I guess it’ll be just us three for dinner then.”

Something about the way he says it suggests to Jinyoung that this happens often. Mark turns to Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung’s staying. right?”

Jinyoung thinks he should leave as he doesn’t want to intrude for dinner, but he takes a good look at Mark. He takes in the way his closed lips are just the slightest bit tilted up. His eyes are bigger than usual, and Jinyoung can’t help thinking he looks younger like this, almost vulnerable. Jinyoung doesn’t have it in him to say no. He nods.

They eat in peace for the most part.

To fill in the silence, Megan asks Mark questions parents would usually ask their child. In a sense, maybe Megan does think of Mark as her almost-child. Mark doesn’t really talk about Megan much, or his family members for that matter, but the polite-casual way he speaks to Megan suggests that the two have a deep connection that goes beyond maid and employer’s son.

“Did you learn anything new in class today?” She asks before taking a mouthful of rice and meat.

“We learned lots, right princess?” Mark elbows him as he chews. He can stop now, thanks.

“Indeed,” Jinyoung answers and bows slightly before pinching Mark’s thigh. He doesn’t know why he feels the need to be polite suddenly. “Especially in Calculus. We learned how to get the anti-derivatives of trigonometric functions.”

Megan laughs. It’s a nice sound, genuine. “I won’t pretend I even know what that means.”

“Princess, you’re going to our basketball game on Friday, right?” Mark looks at him expectantly. Basketball game? Friday? He’s grounded until Friday, but Jinyoung is extraordinarily good at finding loopholes.

“Of course I’m going. What kind of boyfriend do you think I am?”

They’re both too distracted by each other to notice Megan’s gentle expression.

At the end of the night, Mark bullies Jinyoung into taking a selfie with him. Before the night ends, both of their phones have the same lockscreen, a photo of two boys in front of Mark’s garden with the faintest hint of a smile etched on their pale faces.

 

***

 

Jinyoung doesn’t get to see Mark much after that, or at least, not as much as he’s been seeing him these past few weeks. Both Mark and Jinyoung have busy schedules with a lot of things coming up. Mark’s time after school is dedicated to basketball practice, usually with an extra hour for precaution seeing as their upcoming game is with one of their better rival schools.

Jinyoung for his part spends hours at the auditorium with the Drama club (his mom let him because she knows how important Drama club is to Jinyoung), intensely preparing for the Spring musicale of Cinderella, showing in just a mere three weeks. Though three weeks sounds like a long time, that’s actually pretty short considering they still have to finish the decorations for the play as well practice all of their lines. Their costumes are also only half finished, so Jinyoung already knows he’ll be stressed and pissy in the next few weeks.

Friday comes very quickly, what with how busy they’ve been all week. Jinyoung managed to slither out of being grounded on Friday. He’d done all the chores both Wednesday and Thursday, making sure to keep the public areas and the dishes squeaky clean. He even went as far as mopping the floor on Thursday night for the grand ask.

He had approached his mom that night, cuddled up right next to her and began with

“You know how I’m grounded until Friday?”

“I most definitely know.”

“Well, Mark has his first basketball game of the season on Friday, and you only said I’m grounded until Friday, so technically once Friday hits, I’m not grounded anymore, right?” Jinyoung had smiled at her with a big dimples and fluttery eyes.

“We both know that’s not what I meant.”

“But, Mooom.” He had made sure to put on his childish voice. She didn’t respond for a while, so Jinyoung had used his trump card. “Sooyoung said you think she’s prettier than me, is that true?”

His mom turned to him now with a sigh. “You’re both very pretty children.”

“You didn’t answer my question, Mom.”

She had looked at him seriously then.

“Is this basketball game really important to you?”

Jinyoung had to think about it for a moment. It would definitely look bad if Jinyoung wasn’t there to cheer on the basketball team. What would the campus think? Jinyoung returned his mother’s glance and nodded.

“Fine. You’re free to go on Friday.” Jinyoung had hugged her and kissed her cheek that night all while chanting thank you thank you thank you.

“Go before I change my mind.” She had demanded as she began flicking through the channels. Hehe. 50 points for Slytherin. That was some good .

So that’s how Jinyoung finds himself with Mark in the lockers right before the game begins, Mark in his armor of jersey and Jinyoung clad with the school colors on every inch of his body.

“You’ll do fine, trust me.” Jinyoung says as he pats him awkwardly. But Mark dives in for a hug, and Jinyoung is hit with a mixture of Mark’s intense cologne and the smell of pure boy. “The school believes in all of you.”

“That makes me feel worse.” Mark admits into Jinyoung’s neck.

“Honestly, you’re just digging yourself into a deeper hole. You just gotta get your head in the game.”

They break apart and look at each other, a moment of silence, and then loud laughter. ing high school musical.

“You’re right,” Mark says as he smiles. The whole team is now gathering towards the coach. “Look, I have to go now. Wish me luck, princess.”

“Good luck,” Jinyoung whispers. And Mark is looking at him expectantly, but Jinyoung isn’t really sure what he’s expecting.

Hesitantly, they both walk backwards for a bit, but it’s Jinyoung who turns around first to go out into the gymnasium. The space is so wide and big, and Jinyoung doesn’t think about how unfamiliar this all is, how he doesn’t really even like sports to begin with.

Bambam waves him over from the bleachers with a big grin, and he’s already sitting down next to Yugyeom with Jaebum and Youngjae right behind them. Jinyoung walks over, feeling slightly self-conscious for god knows why.

“You made it!” Yugyeom exclaims as he gives Jinyoung a mighty hug.

“Yeah. Had to use my acting skills and everything.” They all take turns giving him hugs, and Jinyoung ends up sitting right next to Bambam, who for some reason has developed an obsession for dabbing as of late. It’s kind of cute, actually.

The bell rings to signal that the game is about to take place, and the players come out of the locker room wearing their jerseys and letterman jackets. Mark’s has a big 93 on his, while Jackson has a 28. Their team begins drilling on one side while the other school begins to warm up on the other. Jinyoung isn’t sure, but he thinks this is nothing out of the ordinary.

Their school colors are white and green, and it kind of reminds Jinyoung of Ireland for some reason. It’s a whole five minutes before another bell rings, and it seems like it signals that the pre-game practice is finished.

Jinyoung watches Mark looking over the bleachers for them and smiles when they find each other. And then Mark is hurrying to where his belongings are and picks something up before standing. Jinyoung doesn’t realize Mark is approaching him until Mark is a mere 10 feet away.

“Here,” Mark says as he holds his letterman jacket towards Jinyoung. The younger man gulps, feelings the whole gym looking at them. “Wear it.”

Jinyoung stands up to take it and slip it on. And everyone coos and awhs, and Jinyoung feels his face get hotter. Without thinking about it, he leans in to peck Mark on the right cheek. Mark stares at him, hand reaching up to where Jinyoung’s lips just touched.

“For luck.” Jinyoung answers. Someone wolf whistles somewhere.

Mark smiles and turns away, and Jinyoung sees the slight pink hue on Mark’s nape. He’s never realized how nice the back of people’s neck look, feels himself flush at the fact that he didn’t have these thoughts until now.

When he sits down, he’s immediately hit with the scent of sandalwood, blended with something citrusy and a trace of sage.

“Wow,” Youngjae comments from behind him. “He’s really got it bad for you.”

Jinyoung ignores him in favor of taking another whiff of Mark’s scent. He doesn’t do it on purpose, he has to breathe of course. Mark’s smell is just all over this jacket, so obviously, he has no choice but to breathe in the fragrance emanating from it.

For someone so skinny, Mark is pretty good. Both him and Jackson seem to be on the shorter side of players, but Mark can evade his opponents so skillfully. He’s quick and agile and seems as if his stamina is above average, considering how he doesn’t quite look as tired as a lot of the others.

Jinyoung doesn’t realize it until he almost trips, but apparently he gets up and cheers every time their team makes a point. Who is this new Jinyoung who likes sports? He also doesn’t realize he cheers louder when Mark makes three pointers until Bambam had told him to calm your , dude.

He feels self-aware after that, unsure whether his behavior is appropriate for a 17 year old. It’s during half time that the score registers in his brain. 41-45. Their rival school leads by 4 points, which is totally doable. Since it’s half time, half the gym leaves to take breather, and Jinyoung finds himself staying put. He’s not sure whether he’s allowed to approach the team or not, but he thinks it’s better to stay seated so as not to break their concentration.

He turns to talk to his friends, but finds that they’ve all paired up. Bambam is having an animated conversation with Yugyeom, with the younger boy laughing at things that aren’t even really that funny. Youngjae and Jaebum are behind them looking so couple-y that Jinyoung has to turn away or else his teeth will rot.

Biting his lip, Jinyoung feels out of place here. Naturally, he goes to where the team is huddled, notices how Mark’s jersey is sticking to his lithely muscled body, observes how each droplet of sweat travels down his smooth skin. He doesn’t quite know when he’s become adept at reading Mark’s little habits, but he sees the way Mark’s nerves is getting to him, notices the tight purse of his pink lips and the furrow on his forehead.

“Sorry to interrupt, Coach Ahn,” Jinyoung finds himself saying when he reaches the players. All of the members of the basketball team including the coach turn to look at Jinyoung. He can’t help but feel flustered at the attention.

“I was wondering if I can borrow Mark for a second?”

Coach Ahn was about to protest, but Mark spoke before the coach could.

“I think that’s an amazing idea.”

And without much retaliation, the two went outside to get some fresh air.

“How are you feeling?” Jinyoung asked the older boy once they’ve stepped out into the crisp night. The wind is biting, and Jinyoung hopes Mark isn’t too cold.

“I don’t know, princess.” Mark answers honestly. “I know I could do better, but all of this pressure is getting to me.”

“Well, this is kind of top secret but…” Jinyoung leans closer to Mark’s ear and whispers. “I believe in you.”

Mark chuckles.

“Yeah?” Mark looks at him incredulously, though the corners of his lips resemble that of a smile.

“Maybe uhh-”

Mark doesn’t finish.

“Maybe what?” Jinyoung asks as he bites his lip.

“Maybe I also need a bit of luck?” Mark admits quietly and scratches the back of his neck. He’s looking at the ground, thick lashes blinking nervously every couple of seconds.

Jinyoung holds Mark’s chin and tilts his face to the side, kissing the left side of Mark's cheek, the side that his lips didn't touch earlier.

“Feeling lucky yet?” Jinyoung exhales after few electrifying seconds.

And as if back to his usual demeanor, Mark stands straight with his usual swagger. “Never felt luckier.”

When they get back into the gym, Jinyoung feels everyone’s eyes on them, but Jinyoung can distinguish from the sea of people that one gaze that feels the warmest.

After the break, their players absolutely destroy the visiting team. Jackson makes the finishing shot assisted by Mark. They end up beating their rival 92-81. Jackson is carried at the end by the team quite literally. Mark, on the other hand, runs up to Jinyoung amidst the chaos and the loud cheering. And when they’re face to face again, the surrounding people chant kiss kiss kiss until half the gymnasium is singing it.

Mark smirks as he lifts Jinyoung. The younger boy is quite impressed by this as he’s absolutely positive he weighs more than Mark’s scrawny .

“We should probably give the people what they want,” Mark tries through his elated state.

“Yeah,” Jinyoung surprises himself by agreeing. “We wouldn’t want to disappoint the voting community.”

“Exactly.”

Mark leans in first, and it’s kind of awkward from this angle because Mark is still holding him up, but Jinyoung doesn’t quite remember ever feeling this thrumming sensation coursing through his veins, never felt this tingly feeling swirling from the pit of his stomach and spreading to the pads of his fingertips. Their lips are locked for a mere few seconds, but it feels like an eternity to him, as if Jinyoung had lived through his life, died, and reborn only to see the universe in a different manner. The world is muted, not unlike the feeling of being underwater, and all he can hear is the sharing of oxygen between them, literally giving each other life.

Jinyoung is speechless when Mark begins to pull back. They stare intently at each other, as if truly seeing one another for the first time. Jinyoung has never realized how clear Mark's eyes were until now, how silky his skin is from up close. He's never noticed how perfectly shaped Mark's nose is, how the bridge of it fits nicely between Mark's almond shaped eyes. The crowd is cheering, but Jinyoung can only hear the steady beat of Mark's heart drumming rapidly in his chest. Jinyoung sees Mark gulp. Jinyoung does it too.

Weeks from now, Jinyoung will remember this very moment up to the most minute detail and regret not being the one who pulls away first.