Puckeruparama

Prom-a-Drama

It’s just a week before Prom. Mark is not on edge, okay? It’s not his fault the paper he was writing on found its way on Bambam’s face when the younger boy wouldn't stop talking. They were supposed to be studying for goodness sake. Nor was it his fault that his shoe flew to Jackson’s torso after basketball practice when he playfully whipped Mark with his jersey.

“Dude what the hell is wrong with you?” Jackson huffs as he picks up the shoe and tosses it back to Mark.

“What’s wrong is everyone is being annoying this whole week.” Mark spits out, biting his lip.

“Markie, you’re the one who’s been annoying. You’ve basically had a stick up your since the week started.”

Mark gasps, affronted.

“I do not,” Mark snaps back as he puts on a fresh set of clothes. Does he?

“Is it because Prom is right around the corner?”

Mark ponders on this for a second. No, that’s not quite it. He shakes his head.

“Then is it because of Jinyoung? Because, you know, it probably wouldn’t hurt to just say your feelings.”

He shakes his head once more. No, he can’t just waltz in and do that. Or can he?

“I suppose it’s a mixture of both,” Mark supplies, crossing his arms.

“Why don’t you just tell him?” Jackson asks.

“I can’t,” Mark insists.

“Why not though?”

“Well, for one, I still do want to be Prom King. Imagine if he doesn’t return my feelings and calls the whole thing off,” Mark reasons. He’s worried about this a lot. “If we break up and the public finds out, it’ll either make it him look like a bad guy for using my popularity for the show, or I’ll look like a villain for breaking his heart right after it. It’s a loss-loss.”

“It could be win-win situation if he returns your feelings,” Jackson emphasizes with a roll of his eyes. “You’re like, the total package, dude. Smart, good looking, popular, could use some meat on the but that’s another story.”

Mark hits him on the arm. “I’m being serious here.”

“First of all, ow. Second, I’m being serious too. If I wasn’t into chicks, I’d totally date you.”

Jackson is giving him a look. “All homo.”

Mark shudders.

“You give me a broner,” Jackson says as he gets closer to his face. “My heart, it goes broki-broki for you.”

“Oh my god, stop.” Mark says, biting his lips to keep himself from laughing.

Then there’s that glint in Jackson’s eyes that shows he’s got an idea. Knowing Jackson, this could either turn out really well or really badly, and he sure hopes it’ll be the former.

“Okay how about this, a bet,” Jackson smirks as he puts his hands on Mark’s skinny shoulders. Great, a fake relationship and a bet. Can this get any more cliché? “If you win Prom King, you have to confess your feelings, that way you’re not stuck in limbo.”

Mark ponders for a bit, throwing the idea around in his head. It’s not the worst idea—if Jinyoung doesn’t like him the way he likes Jinyoung, it’s already senior year anyway. He’ll only have to endure the awkwardness until graduation. And he’ll be on a high if he wins, surely that confidence can carry over to a grand confession, right? As for his broken heart, that’s something to worry about later on.

“And if I lose?”

“If you lose, you do nothing.”

“Nothing?” Mark asks suspiciously.

“Nothing.” Jackson smiles. “Anyway, stick up your all gone?”

“Shut the up.”

***

If anyone asked Jinyoung what the easiest thing he’s done this week, he’d have to say passing out flyers. It takes almost no effort. He’s simply stands in the hallway, making small talk with all the people stepping by. He’s wearing a Mark and Suzy pin as he’s done the past couple of days. He thinks he looks proud to be wearing it too, as any boyfriend is supposed to be. Which is why he’s slightly taken aback when Mark comments on it.

“Honestly, princess, you don’t have to do that.”

“But I do though,” Jinyoung insists as he hands out flyers to students walking by. “It wouldn’t be fair since you helped bring in a lot of the crowd for the Spring musicale.”

“If you’re sure,” Mark shrugs.

“Positively,” Jinyoung says firmly before facing Mark. “I also told the whole drama club to wear them too.”

“Why?” Mark asks incredulously, and Jinyoung looks back at him with mild confusion.

“Am I not allowed to play the supportive boyfriend role?” Jinyoung snorts.

“It’s not that, it’s just--I really, truly appreciate it.”

“You sure do have a funny way of showing it.” Jinyoung smirks. “Anyway, no need to be so mushy. Part of the deal remember?”

“Right.” If Jinyoung didn’t know any better, he’d think that Mark’s whole mood has turned for the worse, if the sour look on his face is anything to go by. And Jinyoung wonders what exactly he had done or said to upset him.

Not that he cares. Or whatever. It’s bad publicity to see one half of a couple to have a bad mood, that’s all.

Jinyoung lets him cool off for a bit, turning instead to the students who seem to show even the mildest of interest in what Jinyoung has in his hands. He makes small talk with all of the people he’s given a flyer to, making sure to tell them to vote for Mark and Suzy and ending it with a quick wink. When he runs out of flyers and his right eye twitches from too much winking, he deems enough time has passed to approach Mark again.

“Hey, I just had a thought.” Jinyoung begins.

“Yeah?” Mark replies instantly, though devoid of the usual sugary excitement that exudes from the older boy.

“Well, I was thinking since we don’t have homework to do today and no exam to study for, maybe we should bake some cupcakes or cookies to hand out for tomorrow. Since Prom is the day after, it’ll make quite a lasting impression.”

Mark looks at him for a second before slowly nodding.

“Okay, yeah, let’s do that. How does my place sounds?”

Jinyoung thinks he sees Mark’s blank expression show a hint of a smile, and that shouldn’t make him as giddy as it does.

“Sounds great!”

***

Jinyoung watches with wide eyes as Mark’s veiny arms move in a swift, circular motion. This surely isn’t the first time he’s done this.

Mark catches his eye for a second and gives him a crooked smile as he continues what he’s doing. Jinyoung knows Mark looks good, has always looked impeccable, but the way he’s staring at Jinyoung with his arm moving scandalously, makes him look devilishly handsome.

There’s white streaks on his face too, and Jinyoung has to shake his head to get those dirty thoughts away.

“You’ve done this before, haven’t you?” Jinyoung asks in a slow, careful voice.

“Is it obvious?” Mark asks lowly, voice thick like honey.

“Yeah.” Jinyoung his lips.

“Can you hand me more of the flour?”

Jinyoung does what he’s told, but he stalks over closer to Mark to have a closer view at his baking skills.

“Like what you see?” Mark teases.

Jinyoung simply answers with, “Can you teach me?”

To which Mark replies with a smirk. He goes around the younger boy, and Jinyoung can feel his warmth coming closer to him. Sure enough, Mark is standing right behind Jinyoung, breathing heavily on his neck as takes Jinyoung’s hand and picks up the whisk. Jinyoung can see Mark’s other hand gripping the table, effectively trapping him between Mark and the desk.

It’s the first time he’s thought that he doesn’t quite dislike the heat of Mark’s body.

“So you just take the whisk and beat the eggs like this.”

Slowly, Mark moves their hands in the same motion he was doing earlier. It feels weirdly intimate like this, with the two of them practically touching from neck to knees.

“Good.” Mark comments, and it’s right by Jinyoung’s ear. It makes him shiver.

Mark steps away from him, and Jinyoung almost whines at the lack of distance between them. Which, what?

“T-Thanks.” Jinyoung swallows. He thinks Mark does too.

“I need to use the restroom.” Mark says suddenly.

“Me too.” Jinyoung says quickly.

“What?”

It takes a second for Jinyoung and Mark’s words to register, and once it does, Jinyoung mentally smacks himself.

“I mean, not together.”

“Right,” Mark laughs awkwardly before gesturing towards the bathroom. “So I should-”

“Yeah, probably.”

“Okay.”

Mark walks past him, and Jinyoung almost deflates at the weird tension that’s built up in the room in the last couple of minutes. He leans against the wall for a second, surely needing support because holy damn, what the are they doing? What is Jinyoung doing? There are many reasons why lusting over Mark is a bad idea, a really, really, really bad idea. But not one of them is coming up to Jinyoung mind right now, even as he closes his eyes and pinches his nose.

Why? This will just make a mess of things. It’s not like he likes Mark. Or does he? Sure, the boy is unfairly attractive, but he’s always been unfairly attractive so that can’t be it. Maybe it’s because Jinyoung is simply a lustful man? Though that’s certainly true, it doesn’t explain why he wants to devour or be devoured by Mark on the dining table right now. He supposes getting to know Mark on a deeper level, being able to see him as more than the annoying hot guy from class, is getting to Jinyoung. Because he’s sweet, amusingly so, especially to those he cares about. And he seems to be a genuinely kind person, other than those times before all of this when he would tease the hell out of Jinyoung for no particular reason. And he’s not dumb; in fact, Jinyoung will say that Mark is even smart, what with his good gpa and being in Jinyoung’s class.

Jinyoung shakes himself out of his Mark-centric thoughts. Get a hold of yourself, Park Jinyoung. This is not the right time or place for this.

It takes a while before Mark comes back, and when he does so, his face and tips of his hair are damp with water. Darn his traitorous heart for beating so quickly at the sight of it.

“Your turn.”

“Hmm?”

Mark giggles. “It’s your turn to use the bathroom.”

Oh, right.

“Thanks,” Jinyoung says quickly before walking away. He breathes a sigh of relief when he gets inside. Sitting down on the toilet, he brings his face to his hands.

No, no, no. Crushing on Mark Tuan, Mark freaking Tuan was not part of the deal. The deal was to save his Drama Club, win Prom, and get Yugyeom and Bambam together.And then they’d go their separate ways. Right? There was no talk about feelings. Or at least if there was, Jinyoung has missed the memo.

He stands up and flushes the toilet for effect before standing in front of the sink. His reflection looks back at him with a blank expression, and Jinyoung bites his lips and looks away. He washes his hands, warm water feeling amazing against his skin.

He didn’t have time to appreciate his surroundings when he entered as he was feeling a whirlwind of emotions, but now that he’s calmed down, he takes a look around. The bathroom has a warm feeling, tiles glinting a light peach color. There’s a small vase and a flower on top the toilet backrest, its soft lavender petals matching with the towelette hanging on the towel rack. A hint of oceanic scent wafting around, and Jinyoung takes a deep breath to slow his beating heart.

When he deems enough minutes has passed, he steps out of the bathroom to face Mark once again. Mark looks surprised when Jinyoung comes back, as if the older boy had convinced himself that Jinyoung wasn’t returning.

“Hey,” Mark tries.

“Hey, yourself.”

Mark clears his throat. “I put a batch of cookies in the oven already.”

“You added chocolate chips, put scoops of raw cookie dough on the pan, and placed them in the oven all while I was in the bathroom?”

Mark giggles. “Yeah. You kind of took a long time.”

Jinyoung did not. Did he? He supposes it makes sense, seeing at how Mark reacted to him coming back.

“Do you have more pans?”

“Absolutely.”

Mark and Jinyoung got into a quick rhythm, with Mark making the cookie mixture while Jinyoung adds chocolate chips and scoops them into the extra pans. They work in relative silence and minimal conversation, and two whole hours pass by. In the end, they’ve exhausted their chocolate chip stock and calls it a day.

“Last batch?” Jinyoung asks.

“Looks like it,” Mark answers. The oven dings to alert them that the previous batch has finished. They’ve been baking the batches for 10 minutes each, which means they have at least 10 batches with a dozen cookies in every batch. That’s a lot of cookies.

Mark takes out the latest pan of cookies and places it on the counter.

“Would you like to do the honors?” Mark asks and gestures towards the oven.

Jinyoung shrugs and settles the last pan into the oven.

He jumps up on the counter facing Mark, and lets out a sigh of relief. “Whew, finally finished.”

“Yeah,” Mark smiles crookedly. “Thank you.”

Jinyoung snorts. “You’ve been saying that a lot lately. I’m not used to it.”

“Have I?”

“Absolutely.” Jinyoung answers quickly. “Didn’t realize you were so polite.”

“Excuse you, princess. I’m plenty polite.”

Jinyoung laughs at Mark’s offended look.

“How are you feeling?” He asks as he swings his feets, hands planted at his sides.

“Why do you ask?” Mark questions, eyebrows furrowed.

“No reason. Just that everyone’s saying you’ve been acting strangely annoyed at everything, so I wanted to dig a little deeper.”

Mark huffs. “Have I really been that bad?”

“Not that I’ve noticed.”

Mark thinks to himself after that, letting a minute pass in silence. Jinyoung is quietly grateful for the lack of conversation. He’s staring at Mark when the older boy shakes his head like a dog and looks back with intent.

Mark gulps and begins to walk towards Jinyoung. There’s a shift in the atmosphere, sparking with an intense aura that has Jinyoung feeling nervous. Each step makes Jinyoung’s lungs constrict until Mark is right up against him, until Jinyoung finds it incredibly difficult to breathe.

“Mark, wh-”

They’re inching closer towards dangerous territories, but Mark isn’t stopping. And to be truthful, Jinyoung can’t stop himself from wanting Mark this close. He knows he shouldn’t, but the last few weeks have been good to him. The last few weeks have been good to the both of them, to be honest. And Mark? Mark’s not that bad. He’s not a bad person, genuine in the things that he does. He’s also pretty smart, and pretty funny, and pretty pretty. And-

Mark’s lips are on his. His lips are on Jinyoung’s, and they’re both sighing into it, as if this moment was the one they’ve been waiting for. And in a sense, it kind of is. In a sense, this is their first kiss. The other kisses? They’re not like this one. Those kisses pale in comparison. Those kisses were in public, in full of view of everyone, showcasing their fake relationship to the whole world.

But this kiss? This kiss is private. This one is just for them, and it feels anything other than fake. Mark’s beating heart. Jinyoung’s own that calls back in the same melody and just as loud. They’re beating in tandem, harmonized. It feels good, and Mark snakes his arms around Jinyoung’s back. It tickles, but Jinyoung doesn’t care, because it. He has feelings for Mark, has probably had them ever since Mark stood in front of the whole school with the giant teddy bear in hand, confessing his Fake LoveTM to his fake boyfriend.

So he lets himself be held, settles one arm around Mark’s neck and places his free hand on his cheek. Mark shudders from the touch, but Jinyoung doesn’t let their kiss break when he does. He dives in even deeper, kiss sloppy with spit, but it doesn’t matter because Mark is kissing back with just as much hunger if not more. Jinyoung is about to bite Mark’s bottom lip when-

Ding.

The cookies are done. The cookies are finished, and so is their sweet moment.

Mark slowly steps back, breathing heavily. Jinyoung is out of breath too, as if the make out session took plenty out of them. Which, yeah. But also, does this mean that Mark has been harboring feelings for Jinyoung? He doesn’t have time to ask because Megan walks into the kitchen, eyes tired but looking lovely nonetheless.

“Oh, Jinyoung! Mark didn’t tell me you were coming?”

The two boys look at each other, at a loss for words, minds blank except for the kisses they gave each other just moments before this.

“Ah, yes.” Jinyoung croaks out, his voice coming out gravelly. “I-It was a spontaneous thing we decided right after school finished.”

And as if Megan senses something, she simply nods and goes back out to leave them in privacy. Mark goes takes the cookies out of the oven, and there’s a warmth pooling in Jinyoung face that’s he’s sure is not caused by the heat from the oven.

“I think it’s time for me to go,” Jinyoung says. Mark looks at him strangely, almost sad. And Jinyoung doesn’t know what to do with that information. Too many things happened right now, too much he has to ponder on, and he can’t make decisions and think clearly when Mark is pouting at him like that.

“Okay.” Mark forces out a smile. Jinyoung is thankful.

They ride in silence, and the drive feeling a lot longer than it usually does. That’s the funny thing about time, it stretches when all you want it to do is go by as quickly as possible.

“Thanks for the ride,” Jinyoung says, wringing his fingers. He’s itching to get out of the car. So when Mark nods, one hand behind his neck, Jinyoung swiftly pushes the door open. But before he manages to fully step out, Mark grabs his hand.

“Wait,” Mark tries, voice low and unsure.

“Yes, Mark?” He says throatily. A few seconds pass.

“Nothing. Just… see you tomorrow.”

Jinyoung squeezes Mark’s hand.

“Good night, Mark.”

And with that, he pulls away and walks out.

 

***

Mark’s not shaking, nope. His hands are just vibrating from nerves. He’s holding a white rose boutonniere for Jinyoung, one that matches with Mark’s white vest, while he wears a red rose one to match Jinyoung’s. The door is bigger than he remembers from the last time he stood up here, when he and Jinyoung ran away from his mom and they went on their not-date date.

Thinking about that whole day makes him smile and feel fluttery all over again. It feels like so long ago that they went suit shopping, like so much has happened, even though it’s only been two months. And in a way, a lot has transpired since then. At least, a lot of drastic things, and Mark realizing his feelings for Jinyoung is the most drastic out of all of them.

Jinyoung. Mark is sure Jinyoung is behind that door, somewhere in that house, hopefully waiting for Mark. Ready. But not ready the way Mark is if the way their day ended two days ago was anything to go by. He looks at the boutonniere in its case, fragile, more of an offering than a present. With a strong sigh, he knocks on the door.

He thinks a whole lifetime passes before someone twists the doorknob. His heart leaps out of his chest, and then the door is opening.

It’s not Jinyoung, but rather a younger, female version of him. In a periwinkle blue dress stands a tall Sooyoung, and Mark is sure this family must have royal blood running in their veins because wow. Her hair is up in a bun, woven in an intricate pattern. It’s decorated with soft purple gems that match her long dress. She’s wearing thin golden jewelry, wrists, necks, ears and all, finished with a shawl scarf of the same shade. And Mark wonders if he’s biual and chooses not think about his ual orientation lest he ponder on it forever.

Mark clears his throat.

“You look amazing, Sooyoung.” Mark compliments her.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” she says. Mark now knows that harsh sarcasm runs in the family.

Mark chuckles nervously.

“Right.”

He bites his lips and rocks back and forth on his feet.

“Is Jinyoung ready, by any chance?”

“Yes.” She answers, but she doesn’t move out of the way. “Do you remember what I told you last time you came here?”

How could Mark forget? He was so scared he almost wanted to barf.

“That if I hurt your brother in any way, you will twist my balls until they rip off my body and feed them to the starving dogs in the animal shelter.”

“Peachy.” Sooyoung smiles brightly and makes way for him to enter. “Wait here, I’ll get him.”

She goes upstairs and disappears into the hallway. He takes a look at the living room, notes the vases of flowers near the fireplace. Mark remembers those. They’re the flowers Jinyoung received after the performance, though they don’t look as bright or as lively as they once did. With a pout, he realizes Mark’s bouquet is not a part of the decoration. He’s about to inspect them closer when someone from the kitchen entrance speaks up.

“You must be Mark.”

Mark spins around, taken by surprise. Jinyoung’s mom is pretty, regal in a way queens usually are, head tilted high with an air of confidence that screams danger to anyone who wants to mess with her or her family. The Parks are an interesting bunch, for sure.

“Ah, yes, I am.” Mark, unsure as to what to do, bows in front of her. He thinks he did the wrong thing when she starts laughing at his actions, and there’s a deep flush creeping up to his cheeks when he stands up straight again.

“Oh my, I didn’t mean to laugh, my boy.” She giggles into her hands as she stalks closer to him. “I just thought it was adorable that you were so polite.”

Mark gives a small smile.

“Well, you’re as pretty as Jinyoung described you,” She says as she stops in front of Mark.

Mark reddens and chuckles nervously as he did with Sooyoung. She places a hand on his elbow, and then the atmosphere turns heavy suddenly, almost palpable in a frightening way.

“I’m going to be honest with you, Mark,” Her tone is lower, more hushed, yet she’s speaking to him with a smile and crescent eyes. “I love my son very much. And if I hear about any skullduggery on your part or if you cause my son any type of pain, I will make it my mission to cause you the same amount of pain ten times over. Are we clear?”

Mark gulps.

“Crystal,” he says with fake confidence.

“Perfect!” Her tone sweet and melodic, as if the last fifteen seconds never even happened. “Please bring him back before 1:00 am or I will be angry. And trust me, you don’t want a Park angry.”

The Park family really makes Mark nervous for all the scary reasons.

“Mark!” Jinyoung shouts his name in surprise. Mark looks up at him. Jinyoung is smiling shyly as he makes his way to the stairs and glides down like a princess does, hands on the rail and looking at his dress shoes. His face isn’t framed with his usual glasses, and instead, his brown eyes shine in the light the way amber beads do in sunlight, a dark hazelnut with specks of gold.

His hair is styled such that it’s slicked slightly back and to the side, showing off his forehead in the best way possible, with his eyebrows neatly plucked and eyelashes with a slightest hint of mascara on them.

His lips look more pink than red and Mark wants to kiss it to see if they taste as fruity as they look. Fitted slacks make his legs look longer than usual, teeth big and bright like pearly whites in a toothpaste commercial.

“Hey,” Jinyoung simply says, right when he reaches Mark. Mark never knew that one word could make his knees as weak as they feel right now.

“Hey, princess.” Mark swallows. If there were any questions about his ual orientation earlier, boy, it’s long gone now. He’s definitely Jinyoungual. “You look-”

Jinyoung smiles softly as he waits for Mark’s words.

“You-uh you look… really good.”

Really, Mark? Really? That’s the best you can come up with?

Jinyoung laughs.

“Stumped for words, eh? I’ll take that as a good sign.” Jinyoung teases cheekily as he pats nonexistent lint from Mark’s lapels.. “You clean up pretty well yourself.”

“Well, the Prom King can’t be upstaged by his date now, can he?”

“Whoa, don’t get ahead of yourself. You’re not Prom King yet,” Jinyoung says. And ugh, Jinyoung looks so captivating this close. Mark is just simply taken aback by how pretty he looks. He finds himself lost in Jinyoung’s eyes, nose, lips, and a call back to reality shows that Jinyoung was watching him just as much. They snap out of their daze when Mrs. Park releases a sharp cough from the side.

They immediately take a step back from each other, feeling like children caught with their hand stuck in the cookie jar.

“Let’s get photos of you two, shall we?”

“Mom, that’s not necessary,” Jinyoung starts with both hands in front of him. “Isn’t that right, Mark?”

Mark, for his sake, wants to stay alive thank you very much, and disagreeing with Mrs. Park seems to be a step in the wrong direction. At least that’s what he tells himself when he agrees, stating that “Actually, I think a picture of us would be very nice.”

Jinyoung turns to him so quickly, Mark wonders how his neck hadn’t snapped.

“This is betrayal,” Jinyoung narrows his eyes at him, but Mark just laughs lightheartedly.

Mrs. Park spends five minutes taking photos, with Mark and Jinyoung being ordered to do different poses in different locations of the house.

“Okay, Mom, I think we have enough photos now,” Jinyoung tries weakly.

Mrs. Park chokes a soft sob before walking towards Jinyoung and covering his cheeks with her palms and pinching it repeatedly. “I can’t help myself. My baby is such a handsome young man now.”

Jinyoung sputters before whispering a “Not in front of Mark, you’re embarrassing me.” Though Mark thinks that was intended for him to hear, so he decides that he won’t tease Jinyoung later about it. Maybe.

“Okay, but we really do have to go now, Mom.” Jinyoung says, reluctantly pulling his mother’s hands down. “We don’t want to be late.”

“Okay, okay.” Mrs. Park flicks a nonexistent tear. Be back before 1 am, you hear me?”

“Yes, mother.”

She turns to give Mark a stern look.

“Yes, Mrs. Park.” Mark bows.

And with that they turn to leave. As they close the door, they hear a bubbly Sooyoung asking Mrs. Park if she can have a boyfriend, pretty please, Mom, with sugar on top. The last thing they hear is Mrs. Park’s shrill of absolutely not which gets them both laughing.

Mark opens the car door for Jinyoung, gesturing the younger boy to come in with a small bow.

“For you, princess.”

Jinyoung just rolls his eyes, but Mark is pretty sure he saw a slight curve of lips before he closed the passenger door.

“I want all of those photos we took, by the way,” Mark says as soon as he enters his car. “I bet we look good. High school power couple and all that jazz.”

“You think so?” Jinyoung asks absentmindedly.
“Babe, I know so.”

Mark stiffens up, and from his peripheral, it seems Jinyoung tensed a bit as well. It was the first time Mark had used the pet name, and though he found it rather suiting to his tongue, he’s not sure Jinyoung’s ears are all that happy to hear them.

“Don’t call me that,” Jinyoung says after an awkward cough. Mark gulps, trying not show on his face the dejection that he feels. He didn’t think it was that offensive, honestly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize-”

“No, don’t be sorry,” Jinyoung whispers, staring at his own lap, looking shy. And Mark wants to take a snapshot of this scene and keep it in his head forever. “I just mean that I…”

The rest of the sentence is muttered so low that Mark isn’t sure he quite heard it correctly. But his heart is beating at a ridiculous speed right now, because he thinks he heard-

“What did you say? I didn’t quite catch that.” He tries nervously, biting his lips with a mixture of eagerness and hope pooling in his stomach.

Jinyoung looks up at him and narrows his eyes once more, though Mark is used at the daggers that it barely makes him flinch now.

“I said…” Jinyoung looks embarrassed once more, but this time he doesn’t look at his lap but directly at Mark. “I said I like ‘princess’ better.”

Mark bites his lips in case his mouth acts on its own and start yodeling about how much he feels for this boy in front of him. Mark is surprised at how calmly he nodded back at Jinyoung because his brain is basically screaming because what?

“As you wish, princess.”

Mark begins to drive, one arm on the wheel, the other resting just between them. There’s this suffocating presence just boiling in the atmosphere, and Mark finds himself sneaking glances at Jinyoung during red lights only to find the other boy doing the same.

Mark wonders if Jinyoung has thought about the kisses they share while baking. Because Mark sure has. A lot. He’s replayed that moment so many times, that he’s pretty sure he can reenact it if need be. Another look at Jinyoung has him feeling giddy with nerves. And if Mark isn’t mistaken, Jinyoung seems to be as nervous as he is, and that makes Mark thrilled with the possibility that Jinyoung’s feelings might reflect his own.

“Nervous?” Jinyoung asks, smiles as soft as his voice.

“Me?” Mark giggles. “Never.”

It’s right there. His hand is literally just inches away from Mark. All he needs to do is simply reach out and simply revel in the warmth emanating from Jinyoung. It’s just them though. What excuse would he have for holding Jinyoung’s hand? But their kiss also was done in private, and that didn’t have an excuse. Just do it.

He’s about to bring his limbs closer to himself when a voice sounding eerily like Jackson’s taunts him.

Do it, you won’t.

Mark begs to differ.

Bet.

He holds his breath, hand reaching out towards Jinyoung. He’s not looking at where his hands is going, is the thing. Sue him for being a careful driver. Jinyoung squeaks, and for a second, Mark wonders what’s happened that made Jinyoung squeal like he did. So he looks at where his hand landed, and goddamn, he honestly didn’t mean for it to go so close to Jinyoung’s crotch.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean? my hand… your crotch! I wasn’t-”

“Mark,” Jinyoung commands breathily. “E-Eyes on the road please!”

“Right! Of course. Yes. Let me just-” Mark brings his other hand to the steering wheel, cheeks feeling hot from embarrassment. He looks at Jinyoung quickly and sees that tips of his ears are just as red as his blushing cheeks.

Mark exhales. “My bad. I didn’t mean for my hand to-” Mark gulps. “To go so close. I only meant for it to reach for your hand, I swear.”

“It’s okay.” Jinyoung answers. Though Mark can tell his voice is a note higher than usual. “I had no intention of making such a high pitched noise. I was startled is all.

They drive to the venue in silence once again. When they arrive and park, Mark takes a deep breath.

Everyone’s going to be there, his friends, his teammates, his rivals. Gods, Jongin and his posse are gonna be there. And they’d all be up to everyone for those last minute votes. This is going to be messy, Mark is sure. This is gonna be a night for the ages, one Mark would not forget.

Surely, a Prom full of drama.