Yugbamarama

Prom-a-Drama

Not much changes after the basketball game. Mark and Jinyoung still banter. Mark still has a habit of trying to make Jinyoung blush (it’s fun to rile up sassy, uptight boys). Jinyoung’s sharp tongue still cuts everyone who tries to come after him, except maybe Seulgi who gives as good as she gets. They still hold hands once in a while in public. Their lockscreens are still their selfie. Yeah, not much has changed.

Except everything has. Something’s different, and Mark knows it.

Mark and Jinyoung still banter, and it’s probably one of the highlights of Mark’s days. Mark still has a habit of trying to make Jinyoung blush, and he probably likes to see the boy’s flushed face more than he’s willing to admit. Jinyoung’s sharp tongue still cuts everyone who tries to come after him, and Mark finds he doesn’t mind being on the receiving end of that tongue. They still hold hands once in a while, and Mark’s thinks he holds on a bit tighter than usual. Their lockscreen are still their selfie, but goddamn, Mark thinks it’s really unhealthy how long he stares at it at night wondering if Jinyoung is staring at his wallpaper as well.

It’s been a few days since the game, and honestly, all Mark can think about is how lovely it would be to hear Jinyoung whisper Mark’s name.

Mark.

He can picture it now, those lips forming the words with graceful ease.

Markeu.

Oh gods.

“Earth to Mark.”

“What?”

“I said how was your morning,” Jackson says as he drives them both school. “Jesus, it’s like talking to brick wall. What’s up with you lately?”

“Nothing’s up.” Mark lies. That’s not quite true. Things are definitely up. They’re up for Park Jinyoung. And by things, he means Mark Jr. And by Mark Jr. he means his 6 inch pen-

“You sure? You seem kind of out of it.” Jackson comments knowingly.

“I think I just haven’t been getting enough sleep. You know. Tests and stuff,” Mark reasons. It’s not exactly a lie. He has been staying up, but it has more to do with cute boys and their cute dimples than studying for Calculus or for, god forbid, Advanced Chemistry. “And I don’t think I did that well in the Calculus exam yesterday.”

“What about the one before that?”

“AP Chem? Let’s not talk about that.” Really. Mark just wants to forget that whole day even happened.

“Well, what do you want to talk about then?” Jackson huffs.

“Prom.” Park Jinyoung.

“What about it?”

“I want it to be perfect.” He’s perfect.

“You legit have Bae Suzy as your prom date, Park Jinyoung as your pretend boyfriend. How perfect do you still need it to be?” After parking, they exit the car and walk towards the school entrance.

“I don’t know man. I’m just nervous that it’s coming up.”

“What have you got to be nervous for?” Jackson rolls his eyes.

“Winning? I want to beat Jongin. I need that Prom King title, Jackson.”

“Dude, the plan’s going perfectly. You’re gonna wreck Jongin. Repeat it with me.”

Mark looks at him questioningly.

“It works, trust me. Now say it. I’m gonna wreck Jongin.”

Mark repeats tentatively, “I’m gonna wreck Jongin.” I’m gonna wreck Park Jinyoung. Curse his brain for talking on its own.

“I will win Prom King.” Jackson continues.

“I will win Prom King.” I will win Park Jinyoung. (Not that he’s something to be won. People aren’t prizes, Markeu. 10 points deducted from Ravenclaw.) But Jackson’s right. This is really getting Mark pumped.

“And I’m gonna destroy the competition come Prom Night.” Jackson gets louder with every syllable. There are many things he wants to destroy. Mainly Park Jinyoung. Not cause bodily harm, not that kind of destroy, no. Unless he’s into that. Which, what?

“Dude, repeat it.”

“And I’m gonna destroy that come Prom Night.” Mark announces with fervent vigor.

“Dude, what?”

It doesn’t immediately register in Mark’s mind, but when he realizes what he said, his eyes go so big he thinks they’d fall out of his sockets if they weren’t connected. Oh god, Mark has to go.

“I gotta go.” Mark hurries to his classroom with his head down, ears hot, and heart beating erratically because damn, he ed up. Jackson’s not going to let him live this down.

“Mark, wait!” Jackson shouts from behind. Mark goes faster.

In the end, Mark makes it to safety when he enters the classroom. Physical safety anyway, because as soon as he sits down on his chair, he feels his phone vibrate. It’s all from Jackson.

Mark, u lil .

Explain

What do u mean ur gonna destroy that

What ?

Whose ?

Is it jinyoung’s

Because that boy has a nice

U cant leave me in the dark like this

I will find u

Maaarrrrkkkkkkk

Mark looks around, and Jinyoung isn’t in his seat yet. Seulgi is looking at him with her eyes narrowed. Seriously, when will this girl ever stop glaring at him. Mark scares easily, ok? She can stop now, thanks.

Jinyoung walks in, and Mark feels good again. It’s been 13 hours and 24 minutes, but who’s counting?

“Wow, you look like today.” Seulgi comments as soon as Jinyoung’s about to pass her.

“Beats looking like every day.” Jinyoung claps back.

Seulgi holds her heart in mock offense. “You really shouldn’t be talking about Mark like that.”

Jinyoung’s head turns so quickly, that Mark isn’t sure how it didn’t hurt the younger boy.

“Leave my boyfriend out of this.” Mark chokes. Hearing Jinyoung refer to him as ‘my boyfriend’ really has little Markeu giddy. Mark stands up dutifully and pulls Jinyoung away from Seulgi.

“It’s fine, princess.” Mark smiles at his direction before placing Jinyoung’s person on his unofficially assigned seat.

“But she is kind of right though,” Mark continues warily, tucking Jinyoung’s hair behind his ear. “You look like you just woke up.”

“This is how you repay me?” Jinyoung glares at him, but he doesn’t look menacing at all with his slightly messed up bed hair and squishy cheeks.

“I did just wake up,” Jinyoung clarifies with narrowed eyes.

“Well if you would just agree to sleep in my bed, I can wake you up on time.” Mark leans in and whispers. “Trust me, I’m better at waking people up than silly alarm clocks.”

Mark hears Jinyoung gulp, or maybe he hears himself gulp. Whichever.

“Your morning breath hurts my ears,” Jinyoung says dryly.

“What’s got you up so late at night anyway, princess? Can’t sleep without your precious Markeu?” Mark wiggles his eyebrows and feels his heart squeeze at the same time. How was this so easy before?

Jinyoung rolls his eyes. “Practicing lines. Show in 8 days, remember? Unless you already forgot.”

Kind of, actually. When Mark doesn’t answer quickly, Jinyoung pounces.

“Tsk, tsk. What kind of boyfriend forgets their boyfriend’s play?”

“I didn’t forget, princess. Trust.” Mark lies, but Jinyoung doesn’t need to know that.

“Whatever. Just make sure you get me a bouquet. Those big ones that cost half a spleen.”

“Anything for you, princess.” Mark half means it. God, he’s so, so screwed.

They’re brought silent when the homeroom teacher strides in and Wendy’s voice begins the daily announcement in the intercom.

Naturally, when their teacher starts lecture, it all goes over Mark’s head. The subjects are already hard as they are. Add to that the fact that Mark has been finding it increasingly hard to focus in classes lately (with how distracting Jinyoung always looks right beside him), there is no way he can pass his classes with his usual A-/B+ range.

Come lunchtime, Mark tries his best to avoid Jackson’s eyes. Mark spots Jackson sitting with Yugyeom at their regular spot. Bambam isn’t there yet, it seems, and the other two are still in line for food. As soon as Mark and Jinyoung get to their usual table, Yugyeom stands up abruptly and steals Jinyoung with a “Hyung, I need to talk to you.”

Mark thinks Jinyoung is about to protest, but upon seeing Yugyeom’s panicked face, he agrees to go. So now it’s just Mark and Jackson on the table. Damn.

“Sup.” Mark tries.

“Don’t sup me,” Jackson leans closer once Mark settles in place. “Now spill. Whose do you want to destroy?”

“Could you please keep it down? The whole school is going to hear you.” Mark grits through his teeth before putting his hands in surrender. “And I swear on my heart and on your stuffed Squirtle there’s nothing to spill. Really!”

“Don’t swear on Squirty if you don’t mean it, Mark. So tell me. Do you like Jinyoung?” Mark flinches. This boy really goes for the jugular.

“Of course, I do. As a person.” It’s not wrong. Mark does like Jinyoung as a person, but he also would like to see him spread out on Mark’s bed. . Preferably with a bow on his neck.

“Don’t play with me, Mark,” Jackson narrows his eyes, but he ends up looking less threatening. “I swear on Daniel Radcliffe’s delicious , if you don’t tell me the truth, I will tell Park Jinyoung about you wetting your bed at the prime age of 13.”

“Oh, god, please don’t.” Mark hisses. “You said you would never bring that up again! I knew I shouldn’t have told you.”

“Don’t tempt me, Markie. I will do it.”

“I can’t believe you’re blackmailing me. Some best friend.” Mark huffs before looking around to see if anyone can hear them. And then he leans in closer. “Fine. I may have a tiny little crush on Park Jinyoung.”

“Aha! I knew it.” Which, what the heck?

“You know?” Jesus, is he that obvious?

“You never sit in the back seat of my car.” Jackson says satisfactorily, as if that alone is enough to win a case in court.

“That was so you could fulfill your dream of having Bae Suzy in the front seat of your car.”

“You went on that one date a bit ago,” He adds.

“We shopped for prom suits.” Mark says flatly. It wasn’t a date. Was it?

“And you paid for it!”

“Half. And he said he’s going to pay me back.”

“You gave him your ing letterman jacket to wear during the game, for goodness sake.”

Mark sweats.

“And then you picked him up and his face in front of the whole school.”

Okay, yeah, he likes Jinyoung. He’s come into terms with this, no need to rub it in.

Mark sighs. “What should I do?”

“I can’t believe you swore on Squirty. Anyway, I think you should-” Jackson starts before seeing something behind Mark and immediately changing expression. “Hey guuuuys!”

Youngjae is approaching them, hugging his books while Jaebum lags slightly behind holding both of their food in one tray. Mark hopes he doesn’t look as whipped as Jaebum does.

“Hi, Jackson! Hi, Mark,” Youngjae says sunnily. Jaebum gives them both a friendly nod and smile before speaking. “Where’s Jinyoung?”

Mark shrugs. “Yugyeom stole him.”

Speaking of, where’s Bambam? Mark looks around and said boy speed walking towards Mark.

“Hyung, I need your advice.” Bambam says to Mark quickly before looking at everyone. “Oh, hey everyone.”

“Awh, Bam,” Jackson whines. “Why aren’t you asking me for advice? I’m your hyung too. I’m full of advice.”

Jackson pouts in his direction.

“Sorry, I need Mark hyung specifically.” And with that, he pulls Mark away the table, and they go somewhere secluded.

“Uh, what’s wrong?” Mark asks once they’re inside an empty classroom.

Bambam looks so shy and nervous, looking down and kicking the floor, and honestly, Mark has never seen the boy like this. If this wasn’t as serious as it seems, Mark would probably about it.

“So I have a friend who was asked out by someone he likes. And he doesn’t know if it’s supposed to be a date or just friends hanging out, but my friend kind of wants it to be a date, but he doesn’t want it to be too obvious in case the other person only thinks of him as a friend. So I’m wondering, or, well, my friend was wondering, if you and Jinyoung can possibly, maybe, go on a double date with them in case it gets awkward?”

Mark almost wants to laugh.

“Well, I can ask Jinyoung.”

“Thank you so much, hyung! I will tell my friend.”

“Questions though. When is it?” Mark asks suspiciously.

“This weekend.” The reply is instant.

“Where is it?”

“The theme park a city over.”

“The theme park was Yugyeom’s idea?”

“No it was mine.”

Mark smirks.

“Hyuuung!”

“You had to tell me soon anyways.” Mark laughs as he slings an arm around Bambam’s shoulders. “So Yugyeom, huh? I think we can make time for it.”

After all, that is part of the agreement.

When they get back to the table, everyone is already there, and Mark and Jinyoung exchange a knowing look.

Jackson and Mark don’t get to speak alone after that because Mark and Jinyoung still haven’t gotten their food, and they both need to eat lest they get even skinnier than they already are.

As such, Jackson still hasn’t given Mark insight on what to do. He guesses he’ll just have to text Jackson about it later tonight.

***

All Jackson really tell him that night is that he should be careful. He might his get his heart broken.

Mark knows that already.

Jackson also says that he thinks there’s a possibility that Jinyoung might have also developed some feelings for Mark. And while Mark wishes for that to be true, he doesn’t want to get his hopes up.

He will, however, try his best to truly woo Jinyoung in these upcoming weeks, come what may.  Fast approaching is the double date with Bambam and Yugyeom, and Mark figures he could probably start there.

Jackson tells him to slap Jinyoung’s once in a while.

Mark has slapped Jinyoung’s so many times already. In his mind of course. If he were to actually do it, he thinks Jinyoung might literally break his wrists. So no, he’s not gonna try that Jackson, I quite like my wrists not broken, thanks.

Jackson suggests start wearing slightly more revealing clothes, because honestly, dude, you look like an oversized marshmallow whenever you have those baggy clothes on. And yeah, those baggy jeans probably feel comfy, with air pockets for your balls and what not, but don’t you think it’d be more eye catching if Jinyoung could see the shape of your ? Or better, your .

Mark puts his phone down. Jesus ing christ.

Jackson kind of has a point though, Mark thinks as he looks down at his oversized sweatshirt. He thinks he’ll starting wearing skinnies again, like he did that time they went shopping. Maybe he can dye his hair too. Yeah. This scarlet ketchup look is probably getting old.

Which is why Mark gets his hair colored to blonde over Friday afternoon. He’s truly shocked at how strong his hair his. You’d think they’d start thinning out by now, what with how many times he dyes it in a year. But hey, guess he’s lucky. Good genes and .

And yeah, it cost quite a bit (for the average folk. This dye job was literally single dollar bills to Mark) and took a long time, but it was all worth it when he picks up Jinyoung from his house and sees him do a double take.

Mark smirks. He knows he looks like a tasty, blonde snack. Eat it up, Park Jinyoung. Eat. It. Up.

Mark steps out of his red convertible and approaches Jinyoung with a glint in his eye. He’s wearing one of his navy-blue skinnies, paired with plain leather low-cut boots and a simple white v-neck, bomber jacket stowed away inside the car. (If he put on some pink lipstick to make his lips look delish, nobody had to know).

“Milady,” Mark greets as soon as they’re face to face. He bows politely, takes Jinyoung’s hand, and kisses it like a prince would a princess.

When he looks up again, it’s to see an expression he’s yet to see on Jinyoung: a funny mixture of slight surprise and mild confusion, accompanied by something akin to thirst.

“You didn’t look like that in school yesterday.” Jinyoung states dumbly.

“Thanks for noticing, princess. You’re right, I got my hair done after school.”

Mark can’t decipher if Jinyoung’s reaction is good or bad, so he settles on neutral and opens the door for him like the gentleman that he is. He’s a gentleman, okay? To hell with what Taehyung says.

“I’m glad you finally treat me like how I should be treated.” Jinyoung says pristinely.

“And how should the great Park Jinyoung be treated?” Mark asks as soon as he’s back into the driver’s side.

“Like royalty, of course.” Jinyoung chuckles as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world. And maybe it is. Mark has been calling him princess for years now.

“Right,” Mark agrees. “Well then, shall we pick up the children?”

“As long as you keep us both in one piece.”

Which, no. Mark is a fantastic driver. Amazing, even.

They don’t crash or burn, but they do accidentally run a light. Whatever, it saved time to pick up the little lovebirds.

They go to Yugyeom’s first since he’s closer, and wow, the boy looks quite mature with his thin turtleneck under a red plaid sweater look. His usual coconut-shaped hair is styled differently today, bouncy and wavy and parted slightly to the left.

“Hey, playboy,” Jinyoung exclaims as soon as Yugyeom gets inside the car.

“Hey, yourself,” he replies.

“Onto Bambam’s then?” Mark asks, and they both nod.

The ride to Bambam’s house isn’t long, but Mark can see from his rearview mirror how fidgety Yugyeom is. Poor boy. He definitely feels the same.

When they arrive, Jinyoung immediately turns back to Yugyeom.

“Well? Go get your boy.”

“First, how do I look?” Yugyeom asks nervously.

“You look amazing,” Mark answers. “Honestly.”

Yugyeom leans closer to Jinyoung then.

“How does my breath smell?” He’s about to blow into Jinyoung’s face, but Jinyoung flinches back.

“Ew, I don’t want to smell your breath,” Jinyoung says with a hand on his nose. “I’m sure you smell fine. Just go.”

Yugyeom huffs and opens the door to walk towards Bambam’s house.

“Think he’s gonna pee himself,” Jinyoung chuckles.

“Bet.”

The two of them enjoy a front seat view of the whole occurrence. Bambam opening the door looking like a model fresh from Thailand. Yugyeom shifting from foot to foot with a hand on the back of his neck. Bambam smiling and pulling Yugyeom by the wrist and to Mark’s car with a big smile on his face.

Bambam’s wearing a dark, long sleeve button up with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. The top few buttons are undone, revealing smooth skin and a nicely shaped chest. Similar to Yugyeom, Bambam’s hair is wavy and bouncy but parted to the right. If Mark feels warm just looking, Yugyeom must be completely burning. One glance at the boy shows that yes, Yugyeom is having difficulty breathing.

As soon as they enter the theme park, Bambam suggests going to the biggest roller coaster ride in the amusement park. Bambam wasn’t kidding when he said it was the large, because damn, Mark isn’t sure if he wants to ride it after looking at those loops and that insane initial drop. It nearly looks vertical. The sign reads SKYWAY in big letters, and the distant screams of people zooming quickly in the sky has Mark feeling nauseated.

Mark is about to back out, but one look at Jinyoung’s excitement solidifies Mark’s resolve. He can do this. It’s just a roller coaster ride, probably only like 45 seconds. A minute max, no big deal. He’s not going to die or anything, that’s absurd. Right?

And it’s almost as if Jinyoung can smell his fear, because they go to the back of the roller coaster, which is where the velocity is largest. His heart is beating extremely quick once they’re at the front of the line. The ride is in pairs at least, thank god.

“You okay there, Markie poo?”

“I’m perfect.” He’s not. Jinyoung smirks.

“Oh! Here it comes.” Jinyoung claps avidly.

They take their seats and put on their seatbelts, and honestly, the people in the intercom is taking so long, he just wants to get this over with. In front of them are Yugyeom and Bambam, and from back here, Mark can see how much fun the two are having, arms flailing wildly from whatever conversation they’re having.

The ride begins, and Mark’s heart skips a beat. They’re slowly climbing up the peak, and Mark feels woozy looking at his side and seeing how high up they are, oh my god, he’s too young to be a pancake. No no no.

He must have said it out loud because Jinyoung is laughing at his right.

Mark takes Jinyoung’s hand and focuses on him instead of thinking about how high they are.

“Don’t let go, please,” Mark begs. A few seconds pass before Jinyoung nods with his natural, close-lipped smile.

Mark is still staring at Jinyoung when suddenly, gravity isn’t pulling them backwards anymore. And he has a second of confusion before they’re falling together.

Mark screams at the top of his lungs. Jinyoung does too. But Mark screams because the wind is whipping past his hair and cheeks and there’s this funny feeling he gets in the pit of his stomach from plummeting who knows how many feet high. Jinyoung screams because he’s having fun. Mark chances a look at him, while screaming of course, and sees Jinyoung genuinely enjoying himself, and Mark’s world is being turned upside down. It takes him a moment to realize that the roller coaster is doing one of those giant loops.

Mark refuses to let go of Jinyoung’s hand, holds on even tighter with each loop and every downfall. Another dip is coming, and Mark shuts his eyes and squeezes Jinyoung’s fingers even harder. Jinyoung is half laughing half screaming still. It thankfully finishes shortly after that. Mark is breathless when the ride finally stops, half from the ride and half from the warmth between his fingers.

They let go once they get off though.

“Wow,” Bambam says, looking as nauseous as Mark feels. “That was insane.”

“I can’t believe you made us ride that,” Mark spits out.

Apparently, there was a camera somewhere in the roller coaster because there are photos on the screens past the exit, and Mark immediately finds their photo. Mark’s eyes are closed, mouth wide, fingers clasping Jinyoung close to his person, while Jinyoung is facing the camera doing a peace sign, hair flowing every which way.

Mark buys two and gives one to Jinyoung. The younger boy takes it with a smile.

“Proof that I’m better than you? Thanks.”

Mark snorts.

“Bam, look!” Yugyeom pulls the shorter boy towards the photos.

On the screen under theirs is Yugyeom and Bambam’s picture. They’re both dabbing, it looks like, and Mark shakes his head.

“Damn, we look good.”

“Want to buy it?” Yugyeom asks. Bambam nods quickly, and they split the cost. Bambam gets to keep it though.

They go on a few more rides after that, nothing quite as groundbreaking as Skyway.

It’s a couple hours before the younger boys declare that they’re hungry. They’re sitting at the food court when they see Seulgi sitting comfortably close with one of the most beautiful girls Mark has ever laid his eyes on. Her hair is long and silky, with a wave and shine that seems natural with bangs pushed to the side to showcase her almond-shaped eyes. He thinks his heart skips a beat when she smiles.

“Jinyoung, look who it is.” Mark points at the two.

“Oh, so it is true.” Jinyoung says to himself. “She really is dating Bae Joohyun.”

They don’t pay them any mind, refusing to let high school drama ruin their double date.

Bambam and Yugyeom are in line while Mark and Jinyoung save their table. From here, it’s easy to see how Yugyeom is hugging Bambam from behind. And while they can’t see Bambam’s expression, Mark is sure it resembles that of contentment and pleasure.

Mark and Jinyoung get up to get their food once the other two have settled down. When in line, Mark mirrors what Yugyeom did to Bambam and goes behind Jinyoung to hug the younger boy from the back. Jinyoung immediately stiffens, and Mark doesn’t know what to do next.

“What are you doing?” Jinyoung questions him.

“Yugyeom and Bambam are acting more like a couple than we are,” Mark argues as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world. “We can’t let them out-couple us.”

“You’re ridiculous,” Jinyoung scoffs, but he doesn’t argue back, so Mark guesses this is a win.

Mark hopes Jinyoung’s clothes are thick because Mark can feel his own ribcage vibrating from how strong his heart is singing right now. If Jinyoung notices, he doesn’t say anything.

Mark’s stomach growls as soon as they sit back down with their food. Yugyeom and Bambam are already laughing. Mark appreciates the fact that they’re so easygoing and can find the hilarity in the simplest things, wishes he was more like that.

They talk in between mouthfuls. Yugyeom lets Bambam take a bite of his food. Instinctively, Mark feeds Jinyoung his food as well. And while Jinyoung looked apprehensive at first, he eats off of Mark’s utensils anyway. Jinyoung gives him some of his food too.

And because they’re growing teenage boys, they finish quickly. They move on to the arcade and games section where they split ways, choosing to play different games in pairs. Bambam and Yugyeom go to the ball tossing game while Mark and Jinyoung approach the ring toss.

“Have you ever even won one of these?” Jinyoung asks suspiciously. “This one is a total cheat.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, the ring is barely big enough to fit in the bottle necks. Any angle would cause it to hit two bottles at once and fly off, so you really have to get the ring perfectly straight.”

“What do you think about our chance of winning?” Mark wonders as he motions for the facilitator to come to them.

“Me? One in fifty. You on the other hand…” Jinyoung laughs when Mark slaps his arm. He’ll prove to him that he knows what he’s doing.

“Can we get a bucket of rings please?” Jinyoung turns to Mark like he’s lost it. Mark waves him off.

“It’s fine. I just want to win.”

“Again, you’re ridiculous.” Jinyoung chortles.

“You make me do ridiculous things, princess.”

Jinyoung doesn’t reply to that.

The bucket is filled with rings. No way in hell they’re going to lose.

After failing to get a win in 15 tries, Mark begins to get frustrated. Jinyoung laughs at how irritated Mark is getting. Jinyoung is right, this game is a cheat.

Alright, focus. The ring barely fits between the bottles, so Mark should aim for the closest ones. The ones right on the edge have fewer bottles surrounding them. He throws the rings like he would a Frisbee, but it keeps on gaining some sort of angle. Mark wonders how to stabilize the rings and thinks of an ingenious way to do it.

He stacks two rings on top of each other.

“That’s smart,” Jinyoung says after taking a look at Mark’s method. Jinyoung throws a couple more towards the bottles.

“Just because I’m not on my way to being valedictorian like you and Seulgi doesn’t mean I’m not smart, princess.” Mark states before throwing the coupled rings together. They both bounce off anticlimactically. . That’s two tries in one. Gone.

“There’s only about twenty rings left,” Jinyoung says absentmindedly. Alright. Deep breath. Pinch the rings like a golf disk. Prep. Release.

“Come on, Mark.” Jinyoung says softly after throwing another one himself.

Mark gets a ring in on the fifth try.

Jinyoung screams and jumps into Mark’s arms, and Mark stumbles a little bit before righting himself.

“Oh my god, you actually got one in!” Jinyoung is looking down at Mark, and Mark can feel his chest constricting.

“What can I say, princess. I guess I’m just good at everything,” Mark tries. “Now which stuffed toy do you want?”

“No way, it’s your win,” Jinyoung utters after Mark puts him down unwillingly. “It’s your prize.”

“Alright, it’s my prize. So it’s also mine to give.” Jinyoung doesn’t have an answer to that.

“Which one do you want?” Mark tries again and smiles, and Jinyoung bites his lip before surveying the choices.

“That one.” He’s pointing at the big white teddy bear smiling down at them.

Jinyoung gets his big bear, and Mark feels like a winner.

They’re walking mindlessly when they see Yugyeom and Bambam again. Bambam is holding a poop emoji pillow, while Yugyeom has a pink bunny. He’s also holding a cone of cotton candy between them, eating it slowly while looking at each other.

Gosh, it’s so sweet that Mark thinks he’s going to get a toothache just from watching. Bambam feeds Yugyeom small pieces, laughing wildly when the taller boy misses his fingers. Yugyeom takes a big chunk of cotton candy and feeds them to Bambam using his mouth. Bambam’s blushing but he eats it from Yugyeom’s teeth nonetheless. And they’re both smiling shyly when Bambam finishes getting the whole piece in his mouth.

“Why don’t we ever do that, princess?” Mark giggles.

“Because we’ve yet to get cotton candy,” Jinyoung shrugs.

“Alright, wait here.” Mark says quickly.

“Wait, no, we don’t actually have to-”

Mark’s too far away to hear the rest. He goes to the cart that sells cotton candy. He’s about to ask for a pink cotton candy when he sees the other stuff that the cart is selling. He ends up not getting the fluffy dessert. Mark has a better idea.

When he gets back to Jinyoung, it’s to find the younger boy exhale with relief.

“Oh thank god, I thought you actually went and got cotton candy.”

Mark shakes his head.

“Good. I didn’t mean- I’m sure it would’ve been…We didn’t have to- yeah.” Jinyoung tries awkwardly.

Mark gives him an open pack of spherical Sixlet candies.

“Oh,” Jinyoung exclaims in surprise. “Thank you! I’m not usually into sweets, but I actually really like these.”

Mark smiles. Jinyoung is about to get one from the pack when Mark steps closer and catches his wrist.

“Mark, what-”

Mark leans in and lets their lips touch. Jinyoung’s eyes are blown wide, and Mark delivers a ball-shaped Sixlet into Jinyoung’s mouth with his own. It’s the slightest bit messy, with Mark’s saliva spreading between them, but stimulating regardless.

Jinyoung is speechless when Mark pulls back. Mark smirks at the pink tinge high up on Jinyoung’s cheeks. The younger boy spins the candy in his mouth. A few moments pass in silence.

“Uhm, thank you.” Jinyoung says faintly. “For the candy, I mean.”

“It was my pleasure.”

Mark is about to say something else when Yugyeom and Bambam appear by their side with the worst timing.

“Yo, yo, yo,” Bambam greets them. Mark gives Bambam a murderous glare.

“I didn’t do it!” Bambam retreats into Yugyeom with his hands up in surrender. “Wait, what didn’t I do? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“No reason,” Mark says, clipped.

“We have time for one more ride before things start to close,” Jinyoung states from the side. “Any suggestions?”

“How about the Ferris wheel,” Yugyeom hopefully proposes.

 “Great idea,” Jinyoung says, and they make their way to the lit circle.

Mark and Jinyoung go in one pod while Bambam and Yugyeom go in another. Once they’re out of ear shot from the younger boys, Mark and Jinyoung begin conversation again.

“Do you think Yugyeom has kissed Bambam yet?” Mark asks.

“Doubt it. Yugyeom doesn’t have the backbone to initiate it.” Jinyoung chuckles.

“Bambam will probably be the one to lean in first.”

“Most likely,” Jinyoung says gently. “Thank you for doing this for Yugyeom by the way.”

“I’m doing it for Bambam as well,” Mark replies and looks out at the darkening sky. Jinyoung stays quiet, almost expectant. “And I honestly do like spending time with you too, you know.”

Mark isn’t looking at Jinyoung when he says this, but rather at the skyline. He tells himself it’s for the Cool Guy Effect, but really, he isn’t sure he want to see Jinyoung’s reaction. His stomach kind of feels funny.

“Oh. Well. Me too.”

Mark chances a look at Jinyoung only to see that Jinyoung is staring at him. Mark feels scrutinized, but it’s fine.

“Look,” Mark points at the other pod. Bambam and Yugyeom are sitting with their shoulders right against each other. Bambam turns to look at Yugyeom, and Mark can almost feel what Bambam feels just from watching his expression. Bambam’s mouth moves. Mark can’t hear, but he thinks he says “Yugy.”

Yugyeom faces Bambam now, leaning back slightly, probably scared or unsure of what’s bound to happen. Bambam’s brows are furrowed, lips jutted like it usually is when he’s deep in thought. And then Bambam shuts his eyes gingerly, leisurely closing the distance between them. He stops about halfway, as if to tell Yugyeom you have a chance to say no, but please don’t. Yugyeom is rooted to the spot, and Mark is itching to tell him to just go for it. But then Yugyeom eyes flicker to Bambam’s lips, and upon doing so, decides to meet Bambam halfway.

Mark and Jinyoung turn away after that, giving the other two some privacy.

“Wow,” Jinyoung says after a minute of comfortable silence. “Finally. He’s been wanting to do that for a while now.”

Mark chuckles. “They grow up so fast.” Mark wishes he and Jinyoung can grow up too.

Mark and Jinyoung get out before them since their gondola was first. When Bambam and Yugyeom step out, there’s an upward tilt to their lips. They’re holding hands, and Mark and Jinyoung both clap.

“About time,” Mark comments.

“Shut up.” Bambam says shyly as he hides behind Yugyeom.

They leave after that, dropping Bambam off first. Yugyeom dutifully accompanies him and his poop emoji pillow to the front porch where they share another kiss.

Yugyeom is walking backwards when Bambam finally closes the door, and when Yugyeom finally faces them, there’s a big grin on his face.

Mark and Jinyoung , but Yugyeom seems to be in a different head space because all he keeps saying is thank you.

They drive to Yugyeom’s house where the youngest boy happily climbs out the car and skips, skips to the front door, pink bunny swaying by his side.

Mark and Jinyoung laugh. When they finally arrive at Jinyoung’s place, they don’t move immediately.

“Well, that was fun,” Jinyoung says while staring ahead. The atmosphere feels a bit thin for some reason.

“Yes,” Mark replies and turns to look at Jinyoung. “Yes it was.”

The other boy faces him too, and Mark so wants to give Jinyoung the most meaningful kiss, but ultimately decides against it.

“I guess there’s a new power couple on campus,” Mark says to diffuse the air.

“No way they can come close to us.”

Jinyoung smirks. His eyes look cloudy, and Mark presumes his is probably just as cloudy if not more.

“What now?” Mark asks. Jinyoung spares him a glance, and Mark can almost see the wheels of his brain turning

“Back to practicing lines, I suppose.” Jinyoung sighs.

“You can practice with me, if it’s really so bad.” Mark is grasping at straws now, wants to be by Jinyoung’s side every day. Jinyoung doesn’t answer for a bit, as if tossing the idea around in his head to weigh the pros and cons.

“Maybe.”

With that, Jinyoung steps out of the car with his new stuffed bear and makes his way to his house. Mark watches the retreating figure until Jinyoung opens the front door. He uses the teddy bears arm to wave goodbye to Mark before closing the entrance door, and it isn’t until then that Mark realizes he’s missed his chance to walk Jinyoung to the porch and possibly give him a meaningful goodbye.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, Mark tells himself all the way to his house.

When Mark gets to his bed, he swiftly takes out his phone and quickly types out “Goodnight princess” and sends it before his nerves get the better of him.

Jinyoung’s reply is almost instant.

Night, is all it says. Well, Mark will take what he can get, and falls asleep easily for the first time in weeks.