Dramarama

Prom-a-Drama

Jinyoung surveys himself in the mirror. At first glance, one would think everything looks peachy, but Jinyoung knows every inch that he could see of his body, every crease that shows on his face. He knows of the little bags that have been forming under his eyes for weeks now, notices them getting deeper and deeper every day he gets fewer than four hours of sleep.

Which is why when his sister barges in his room asking if he’d seen her concealer, he shrugs and replies that he doesn’t even know what that is, Sooyoung, so can you please leave and kindly shut the door?

She eyes him warily but walks out nonetheless, gently closing the door behind her. A beat passes, and Jinyoung is pulling the drawer on his desk, taking out said concealer triumphantly. Their skin tone is close enough that Jinyoung can use her concealer without it being noticeable, unless one places their face right in front of him and looks at him closely. He applies some right on the shadow of his eye bags, not the bags itself as google had so kindly pointed out. He rubs at it until it’s even with his skin, until the eye bags that were so prominent earlier now look like they’re barely there. 

He cards his hand through his hair in an attempt to slick it back. He does it once, twice, even three times before giving up. All it does is bounce back to its usual place, parted just slightly to the right of center. He pouts for a second before pinching his cheeks, wondering when they’ve gotten so puffy. He brushes the thought away with the explanation of stress and lack of water.

Attempting to smile (google says smiling to yourself in the mirror makes you happier), he picks up his glasses, thin and black-rimmed, and situates it right above the bridge of his nose. He doesn’t truly need it, per se. In fact, his vision is near perfect, except that his left eye is a bit nearsighted.

Satisfied with his look, he grabs his backpack and hurries outside without a second thought. He’s wearing an ivory sweater on top of his uniform, the front tucked behind belted, black pants while the back is left free. It’s not an exciting look, but he thinks it’s very nice to look at—plain and fashionable without being too outlandish.

Outlandish has never been Jinyoung’s style. In fact, if someone asked the student body what they thought of Park Jinyoung, half of them would answer something along the lines of “sassy vice president” and “boring” while the other half would look confused and ask “the Principal?”

So it’s safe to say that Jinyoung’s life hasn’t been exciting. Truly, the most thrilling part of his life is the bus ride to school, because he never knows if he'll be sitting with a crazy person, an insane parent, or his silly best friend Yugyeom.

He already knows that luck is not with him today as he sees his friend of ten years approaching, wearing his uniform with the first button undone. He’s searching excitedly for Jinyoung with a cheeky smile on his face. It gets even bigger when he finally gets spotted.

“Hey, Jinyoung!” Yugyeom greets brightly as he plops down to the seat next to Jinyoung. His smile is too bright for Jinyoung, and Jinyoung wonders how he can be so happy and joyful all the time while all Jinyoung can muster up at the moment is a tight lipped smile.

“What’s wrong with you?” Yugyeom asks as he puts his backpack in front of him and takes his phone out.

“Nothing,” Jinyoung answers honestly. “I’ve just been really tired lately. You know, school stuff. 

“I know exactly what you mean. Speaking of, do you think you could help me with Chemistry again this weekend?” Yugyeom is looking at him with hopeful eyes.

Jinyoung releases an exaggerated sigh.

“Oh, come on, Jinyoung! You can make fun of me all you want today, and I promise I won’t even snap back!” Yugyeom says with his hands up. It’s a very tempting offer. 

Jinyoung acts as if he’s in deep thought. And then Yugyeom takes both of their hands and forms a prayer stance.

“Please, please, please!” Yugyeom’s eyes are closed now, lips moving quickly. And Jinyoung can do nothing but laugh and relent.

“Alright, alright,” Jinyoung answers with a genuine smile. “It’s not like I have anything to do over the weekend anyway.”

“Thanks, Jinyoung!” And just like that, Yugyeom turns back to his phone and begins tapping furiously as if he didn’t just beg his heart out. Seriously, this kid.

Jinyoung takes his earphones and plugs them in, closing his eyes as he does so. He lets the music fill his ears and rests his head on the younger boy’s shoulder. It doesn’t take long before he falls asleep to the tune of the music and the mellow flow of the bus ride.

Jinyoung is shaken awake by Yugyeom, telling him that they’re here and that Jinyoung drooled on his shoulders so he should give Yugyeom some money for a new shirt. Jinyoung lazily opens his eyes before stretching out a big yawn. The ride generally takes fifteen minutes, but Jinyoung feels as if he only slept for one.

“Shut up” is the only thing Jinyoung mutters before standing up and following Yugyeom to the exit. From the stop, it’s a 4 minute walk. They both know every step by now, every crevice and crack on the sidewalk. So Jinyoung walks with his eyes half closed while Yugyeom keeps his eyes on his phone, texting as quickly as ever.

They keep in comfortable silence until they reach the school. It’s still a bit early, so the front is not yet buzzing with students and car honks from impatient drivers. Though the outside is bare, the halls are decorated with some people who were dropped off early for god knows why. At the end of the hall, there are students sitting down against the lockers, concentrating on whatever they have on their hands. Near the stairs by the entrance are usually where the athletes prefer to hang out in their massive jackets and smirking faces.

He’s generally good at remembering names and faces since they have a medium-sized student body. He passes Jongin and his circle of jocks with a roll of his eyes. How to begin describing Jongin and his mindless posse. Kim Jongin is the epitome of popular. First of all, he’s the Football team captain, so that’s already a ticket to a good high school life. He’s an amazing dancer as well, and he likes to showcase it in the yearly talent shows with his best friend Sehun who isn’t so bad himself. Where Jongin goes, Sehun goes. Where they go, the party follows. They’re both really good looking if Jinyoung had to be honest. But all those good looks really go to waste whenever the two open their obnoxious mouths.

Jinyoung truly despises how his school feels very much like one of those high schools people see in those cheesy TV shows, all cliques and politics and not much else besides the occasional drama. Jinyoung tries to stay away from them because those can get pretty ugly. He likes to stay in his own little bubble of 4.2 GPAs and drama club.

Jinyoung isn’t fond of these walls. Whoever said that high school was the best four years of their lives were either popular or complete, utter liars.

“Whoa!” Yugyeom exclaims with his face buried deep to his phone. Jinyoung always wondered how the youngster could walk without bumping into anyone. “Jungkook just texted me that Jongin and Seulgi are going to be running for Prom King and Queen.”

Jinyoung scoffs. “Two of the most popular people in school is running for prom royalty. Big whoop. How is this news?”

Yugyeom tries to look affronted. “It’s not. I’m just relaying juicy deets about our fellow students.”

“Unless it’s something about how people think I’m beautiful, I don’t want to hear it.” Jinyoung scrunches his nose. “And please don’t ever say deets again.”

They’re heading towards their lockers when the principal, standing in front of the door to the office, spots them and approaches them with posture fit for a king.

Jinyoung halts in his step and pulls the younger boy towards him. “Yugyeom, why is Principal Park marching towards us?” Jinyoung asks quietly so that only the two of them can hear. “What did you do this time?” 

Yugyeom looks about as puzzled as he usually does whenever Jinyoung tries to tutor him in Chemistry. “I didn’t do anything, I swear!” He promises right before Principal Park finally reaches them.

“Good morning!” He greets them royally as Jinyoung and Yugyeom both slightly bow in respect before greeting him back in unison.

“Mr. Park, I was wondering if I could have a word.” Principal Park says with a confident voice. It wasn’t a question.

“Of course,” Jinyoung replies with a tight smile.

“Very well then, follow me.” He declares before giving Yugyeom a look. “Mr. Kim.” And then he’s marching away with Jinyoung hot on his heels. Jinyoung looks back at Yugyeom mouthing for help, for explanation, for something, but the other boy can offer nothing but a helpless shrug.

With a gulp, Jinyoung walks through the door held open by Principal Park.

“Right this way,” Principal Park announces as he struts to his office. Generally, Jinyoung likes being invited to the principal’s office, because it usually involved matters of awards and other non-menacing things. Today though, the office feels threatening. The mahogany desk looks a little sharper than usual. The picture of Principal Park’s family seems to be mocking him in laughter. And had that stapler always resembled a whale ready to bite someone’s finger off?

“Well don’t just stand there. Please sit.” The Principal says with a faux bright voice.

Jinyoung is standing at the doorway awkwardly and looks at the rounded chair. It’s one of the ones that spin around, and Jinyoung isn’t sure if he wants to sit on a spinning chair because he thinks he’s going to be sick. He takes a deep breath and walks forward nonetheless, trying to keep his composure as much as possible.

“You’re probably wondering why I wanted to talk with you, and I’m sure you have a lot of questions, but please let me finish this with as little interruption as possible. Understood?” 

Jinyoung nods, feeling uneasy by his stern voice and steely face.

“As you most probably know, the district has been slowly cutting our school budget by the year.” The Principal begins, speaking with a tight voice. “And I deeply wish that the school can provide everything the students need.”

The Principal pauses, almost assessing if Jinyoung will interject. But Jinyoung doesn’t really get what Principal Park is getting at, so he just nods again. Principal Park seems satisfied with that and continues.

“However, as we know that that is not possible, I must pull funding from certain clubs and activities.” 

Another pause. Jinyoung feels his heartbeat quicken. 

“Trust me when I say that this is not a matter of which clubs are more important than others. It is…” Principal Park hesitates, as if trying to carefully measure his words to make them seem as kind and sincere as possible. “merely a logical decision based on the mathematics of which clubs spend the most funding without supporting itself.”

Jinyoung keeps his lips shut. Grinding his teeth in front of the Principal would probably be deemed disrespectful. And while he usually has good standing with the elder, he doesn’t want to push his luck. 

“We both know that the Drama Club has not been selling many tickets to their plays.” It wasn’t stated as a jab, but Jinyoung takes offense nonetheless. “Before last year, this wasn’t a problem. But seeing our funding dwindling, I must now be very careful on where to put the money lest the school falls into more debt.”

Jinyoung has to clear his throat before speaking. “So you wish to defund the Drama Club.” It’s a statement more than anything.

Principal Park audibly sighs, and Jinyoung has to bite his cheek before he says something he regrets. “That is very possible, Mr. Park. With a heavy heart, I must do what is best for the school. But I have a pro-”

“And I’m guessing none of the sport clubs are affected.” Jinyoung states. The Principal is caught off guard by the accusation, if one could call it that, but he gathers himself rather quickly. 

“That is… correct again, Mr. Park. But you must realize that sports club on their own are self-sustaining.”

Jinyoung is seething. This is completely unfair.

“Of course,” Jinyoung starts, voice accusatory. His composure falters a bit, and he’s just about to speak his mind in colorful words before the Principal Park assures him with a hand and what seems to be a genuine smile. 

“Mr. Park, please. There is no time for that. I also wanted to inform you that this decision isn’t set in stone, or at least not completely. Not if you can avoid it.” 

At this sudden information, Jinyoung perks up. “Well why didn’t you say so earlier?” To which the Principal replied with a raised brow. 

“I tried to tell you before you so kindly interrupted me.” Jinyoung flushes at this. “I will let the Drama Club continue to exist if they can execute a very successful Spring Performance. If the seasonal performances continue to… to be…”

 “A flop.” Jinyoung says flatly. “You can say it; it won’t hurt my pride. Unlike the athletes.”

“…unsuccessful, then I will have no choice but to terminate the club. Are these terms agreeable?” Principal Park says with a voice that suggests there is no bargaining from this.

“Yes, sir.” Jinyoung answers, standing up and bowing. And then he leaves the office without a second word, knowing very well that Principal Park is watching him with a curious gaze.

The second he steps out of the office, Jinyoung can breathe again. He doesn’t waste time hurrying toward his and Yugyeom’s lockers. Jinyoung sees his friend’s familiar back at the end of the hallway and starts running like there’s no tomorrow. In his bid to maneuver through the crowd as fast as possible, he notices someone who’s looking down on his phone with silver-blonde hair. With the other person not paying attention like this, Jinyoung knows what’s going to happen before it does. As if everything’s in slow motion, Jinyoung collides against the other boy, and they both go sliding down the floor in a heap of limbs and curses. 

The pain takes a while to register. He’s on his stomach with his arms splayed out in front of him like he’s Superman when he feels his chest throbbing, knowing there’ll be a bruise there tomorrow. Jinyoung merely rests his forehead on the cold tiles, voice in a soft whisper.

“This has got to be…”

 

***

  

“…the worst day of my life!”

Jackson, startled, steers the car slightly to the left before his reflexes urge him to swerve back to the correct lane.

Jackson looks at his best mate like he’s grown two heads. Mark Tuan never shouts. In fact he doesn’t even talk much unless it’s to people he’s close with, but Mark thinks this is something worth screaming about. 

“Will you please not scream my ear off? It almost got us killed! Imagine if there was a car on the other lane. If I wasn’t dead yet, I’m sure I would be once my father sees the wreck that would’ve been his car. Would you have paid for my funeral, Mark Tuan? Huh?”

“Well there wasn’t a car so what’s your point?” Mark says before looking at his phone again, wondering if he read the text correctly.

“The point is, Mark, we could’ve have been dead!” Jackson replies. “Or worse, I could’ve been grounded for life.” Jackson shudders at the thought.

“Okay, okay, whatever. But look,” Mark says, displaying his phone towards Jackson.

“Mark, I’m kind of driving. So I kind of can’t take my eyes off the road, so if you could please kind of just tell me what the i-”

“Bambam just texted me that Taehyung texted him a screenshot of Sehun saying that Jongin is running for Prom King.” Mark says in one breath. 

Jackson makes a confused face, lasting a mere second before he asks, “Wait, why didn’t Taehyung just text you directly? I mean, you’re closer to him than Bambam, right?”

“I don’t know why he didn’t text me directly. And maybe?” Mark wonders if that’s true, but instantly shakes his head before they get off track. “That’s not the point, Jackson. Jongin is running for Prom King.” Mark emphasizes the last sentence to give it a sense of urgency, but Jackson doesn’t seem to be affected.

“So? With a proper campaign, you could beat him 55-45 easily.” Jackson brags, turning into the school parking lot. There are quite a bit of cars lined up in front of them.

Mark thinks about Jackson’s rough estimate thoroughly. He guesses that may be true.

“That doesn’t matter in this case.”

“And why the hell not?”

“Jongin’s running mate is Kang Seulgi.” At this Jackson presses the break hard, and both of them are pushed forward by the force of it. Jackson turns to look at him, but as he does so, the person behind them honks. Jackson slowly rolls down his window and gives the person behind them the finger.

Mark chuckles as he hears the miffed sound of the person shouting “Hey, man, you too!” before Jackson can roll up his window fast enough. Jackson spots an empty parking space. He presses his lips together as he quickly fits into it with relative ease.

Once situated, Jackson turns off the engine and faces Mark. With an exaggerated sigh, he places his hand on older boy’s shoulder and says, “You’re ed.”

Jackson is out the door laughing before Mark can punch his arm.

Mark gets out of the car, hurrying to catch up to his best friend.

“I’m serious. What am I gonna do?”

Jackson sighs as he pushes the school’s front door open.

“Why do you even want to be Prom King anyway? You already know you’re one of the most popular guys on campus.”

“Yeah, Jacks, but I want to be more than that.”

“Dude, you’re already Basketball captain. You’re probably gonna get a scholarship for it too. And you already made history by bringing us to Regionals for the first time in eight years.” Jackson has a point, but Mark is stubborn.

“I don’t want to just be known as the Basketball guy. I want to be known as the best.”

“Okay, Ash Ketchum.” Jackson snickers. Mark just rolls his eyes. 

“Like, I don’t just want to be one of the popular guys on campus. I want to be the most popular one here. I want to be known as the guy. The one every girl wants and every guy strives to be. I want something solid to remind me of that fact. And I think being Prom King will prove all that.”

“Wow,” Jackson looks at him with feigned worship. “Who would have known that underneath the quiet walls of Mark Tuan stood the most narcissistic guy in all of the Northern Hemisphere.”

“I’m serious,” Mark pouts. “Never mind. You’re no help.”

They make their way to their lockers, quickly taking the items they need for today.

“On the contrary, I have an idea!”

Mark eyes him warily. Jackson continues anyway.

“We both know that you and Jongin are about as popular as each other, give or take.” Jackson begins. “Kang Seulgi is also no pushover. The girl is as hot as they come. Smart too. And passionate, don’t forget passionate. Especially when she dances, have you-”

“Can you get to your point?” Mark tries, sighing. Jackson has a rather strong obsession with Kang Seulgi. How to begin describing Kang Seulgi. Kang Seulgi is probably the embodiment of intelligence and professionalism. First of all, she’s the valedictorian and the president of their class, so that’s already a ticket to a good college life. He thinks Park Jinyoung is the valedictorian as well, but how that works, Mark isn’t really sure. Anyway, she’s a talented dancer, and her singing is pretty good. Mark remembers watching her during one of the previous talent shows and being unable to keep his eyes off her. Jackson was worse, couldn't shut up about her for days. She doesn’t go anywhere without her best friends, Wendy and Sooyoung. Some freshman girl has also started hanging out with them too. Yeri or something or other. They’re a beautiful bunch, alright. Rumor has it she has a girlfriend in college, some seriously gorgeous girl whose beauty is only comparable by idols and actresses. These rumors have yet to be proven true. They've yet to be proven untrue as well.

“Right. We just have to find you a partner who is just as pretty and popular as Kang Seulgi. You’d be hard pressed to find someone that good, but just by yourself, even you can’t beat Jongin and Seulgi in a popularity contest.” Jackson says matter of factly. And for once, Mark thinks his idiotic best friend has finally said something smart.

“Well, lets think who I can ask.” Mark says, pondering. His mind immediately goes to the cheerleaders. “How about Nayeon? Head cheerleader. Could work.”

“She’s not a senior yet, man.”

“Oh? How about the other one. Jihyo?” Mark asks.

“Dude, she’s a sophomore. Where the have you been?”

“Uh...Wendy?”

“Mark, my friend, tell me. Do you really think she’ll run against Seulgi?” Jackson says sarcastically. Mark feel stupid. There’s no way she would go up against her best friend.

“How about Krystal from Class 4-D?”

“Yeah. She’s super pretty,” Jackson says quickly, but has a look of hesitation. “But she’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. We'll keep her in the maybe pile.”

“I got it!” Mark exclaims. This one is a good one. “Bae Suzy.”

Jackson nods along as if considering how good the idea is.

“I think that’s it,” Jackson bites his lips. “She’s absolutely gorgeous, and she’s the girl’s Tennis team captain.”

Mark grins as if his future has just been saved. He walks Jackson to class 4-C. His best friend is not stupid, really, but he has a tendency to slack off during the most important times of the year. Mark practically skips to his own classroom down the hall at 4-A with all the really bright students of his class.

As soon as he enters, he immediately feels the usual chill between the front two students. Jinyoung and Seulgi are giving each other the cold shoulder, as they have always been since middle school years. The two have always been like this, rivalling each other in everything. Mark remembers that one debate session during History class in sophomore year. Their arguments had lasted the whole period, with Seulgi’s group being declared the winner. Mark will not forget the look of rage plastered on Jinyoung’s face at the end of that class. He got his revenge last year though when Mark was forced to do a Biology project with Jinyoung because Mark was absent and nobody wanted to partner with stick-up-his- Jinyoung. While Jinyoung had definitely been bossy, Mark was grateful that Jinyoung was a doer and proactive. They ended up getting the best score in the whole junior class, beating Seulgi and Wendy’s project by a mere .5 points. Mark also will not forget the look of pure satisfaction and smugness on Jinyoung’s face that day. Seulgi has upped him this year though as she was voted class president while Jinyoung is only vice president.

“Kang,” Mark greets her.

“Tuan,” she says back sweetly, but her eyes are sharp with intent. Mark Tuan is not one known to be scared, but apparently there are three on his list of fears. The first is his mom, the second is spiders, and the third seems to be Kang Seulgi.

“I heard you’re running with Jongin for prom,” Mark tries. He seriously hopes Bambam is wrong, but Mark has never been known to be lucky.

“Well you heard correctly. You’re running as well, right?” She questions, challenging.

“I’ll be winning, you mean.” Mark answers with as much conviction as he can, which is to say not much at all. It seems Seulgi can tell as well, if her reply is anything to go by. 

“I don’t see how you could win without the academic students on your side,” Seulgi smirks.

“Yeah? Just watch me.” Mark tries to sound convincing, but even he can tell it’s a weak retort. 

“Hmm,” She says dismissively, and Mark can hear the mocking tone in there. He absolutely loathes it. He simply bites his lips and turns to Jinyoung. Ah, Park Jinyoung.

“Hey, princess.” Mark says teasingly.

“ off, Mark.” Jinyoung spits. It’s different from his usual ‘Tuan’. Sitting with his back rigid, Jinyoung doesn’t take his eyes off the empty board. Mark raises his brows at this.

“Well, well, looks like someone’s having a bad day.” Mark smirks, snickering. “Stick bigger than usual? How about you let me help you unwind after school.”

He always liked pushing Jinyoung’s buttons. It’s an absolute joy watching the boy’s cheeks turn pinker than his lips as the tips of his big ears turn red. Today though, that’s not the case. Jinyoung turns to him, lips tight and eyes piercing behind his glasses.

“Why don’t you poke fun at someone else, Tuan? My patience is really thin today.” The class quiets down as if listening in on their conversation.

Mark crouches down and sets his elbows on top of Jinyoung’s desk. He’s biting his lips and searching Jinyoung’s face when Mark’s line of sight lands on the chalky texture under Jinyoung’s eyes. Honestly, he doesn’t mean to say it. It just comes out is all. He was just thinking innocently about it, but curse his mouth for never listening.

“Are you wearing concealer?”

Jinyoung’s eyes widen and then they zero in on Mark, gaze a hundred times more threatening that Seulgi’s expression just a minute ago. There are now four things on Mark’s list of fears, and at the top of the list is a furious Park Jinyoung. Mark’s hope that he didn’t say it too loudly was killed by the sound of light snickers from some of their classmates.

Jinyoung stands up abruptly, and Mark mirrors him just because. And then their homeroom teacher strides in taking in the situation.

“Class, settle down,” he says commandingly. Jinyoung doesn’t move and neither does Mark. Mark knows his mouth his open because he's willing it to say sorry to Jinyoung, but Mark thinks that Jinyoung might just slap him if he says another word, so he doesn’t.

“That’s enough, Mr. Park and Mr. Tuan.” The strict tone of their teacher has both the students retreating. Jinyoung slowly sits down, cheeks pinker than his lips. 

Wendy’s voice is staticky in the intercom as she does her usual morning announcement. Mark drags himself to his chair as fast he can. He sits two seats behind Jinyoung and takes note of the red tint on the tips of his big ears.

Good job, Mark. Mission accomplished.

Weirdly, Mark feels anything but victorious.