Charmarama

Prom-a-Drama

Jinyoung plops down on his bed and shuts his eyes as soon as he gets home. Today felt like the longest day, what with having to play nice with Mark all day at school and then being forced to go to a café with him. His muscles ache from god knows what. He didn’t even do much physical activity today.

He hears his phone beep multiple times and the sound of it seems muffled as if he’s underwater. Truth be told, he doesn’t want to look at anyone’s texts right now, may it be school, drama club, or Mark-related.

With the comfort of his bed, eyes unopened, he wonders for a moment if Mark truly is the best way to save his Drama club. Sure, the boy is popular, but can his popularity and their fake gay relationship really be enough to salvage what’s left of the Drama club? Not only that, Jinyoung is still slightly suspicious at the genuineness of Mark’s plan. While it’s true that Mark and Suzy won’t have a definite win, they won’t have a definite loss either. It really is only up to luck and which couple is better at campaigning. Jinyoung guesses Mark must be extremely desperate for a win if he’s even willing to be in a pretend relationship. And a gay one at that. With Jinyoung, no less.

In addition, Jinyoung calculates that there’s a chance that Mark is just playing a huge, gigantic joke on him. While Mark doesn’t seem like the worst guy, he does have terrible taste when it comes to pranks. And okay, Mark may be full of horrible jokes, but Jinyoung thinks that he’s probably not cruel. He wouldn’t play this big a prank on Jinyoung, especially if there’s a chance that it’ll put a stain on the older boy’s school image. Right?

Still, Jinyoung is only 99% sure that this is the best way to save the Drama club, but right now, he’s out of ideas. So this will make do. This has to make do. He thinks he knows what that missing 1% entails and guesses that it can potentially destroy this whole arrangement, especially if he’s not careful about it. That 1% signifies the fact that there’s a chance Jinyoung may develop romantic feelings for Mark. Which, ugh.

Of course there are feelings there already, but Jinyoung would be the first to say that not one bit of it is of romantic essence. And honestly, developing feelings for Mark? That’s a crazy idea. Absolutely, positively, unquestionably ludicrous. Jinyoung doesn’t fall for quiet, narcissistic types, no matter how pretty and sharp their cheekbones look.

Jinyoung opens his eyes and sits up. There’s homework due tomorrow, and he really shouldn’t be lazing around on the bed, wallowing on things that have yet to happen. Things that are never going to happen.

Satisfied, Jinyoung wanders to his desk and pulls out his homework. He tries to get all of it done even with his annoying phone sending him alerts about text messages and missed calls every so often. He doesn’t want to put it on silent though. He doesn’t want to admit it, but it sort of feels really freaking good knowing that people are actually trying to contact him. (Oh god, Mark’s vanity is already rubbing off on him, and it’s only been a day and a half!). More or less, they’re probably asking him for details about his non-date date with Mark, which Jinyoung will not be releasing any information about until he clears it with the older boy tomorrow.

He manages to finish all of his homework at 2 am, which isn’t the latest he’s stayed up. He’ll get enough sleep if he goes to bed soon. First, he has to do his nightly skin care routine though. Jinyoung remember Jaebum once asking him why he does all this for. Jinyoung only replied with perfect skin doesn’t come free, you know. Jaebum had made fun of him for it, and sure enough that was the last time the older boy was allowed to sleep over. Don’t ever call Jinyoung’s routine ridiculous. This is serious shiz. Youngjae gets it though. They even trade secrets and do their routine together when he sleeps over.

Later, when his body feels warm and his face feels fresh, he falls asleep to the buzzing of his cellphone.

He doesn’t dream.

Hours pass, and Jinyoung wakes up feeling slightly well-rested. He checks his phone for notifications as he’s wont to do every morning. He sees that he has 62 messages (which, what the ?) and 23 missed calls.

He goes through the list of people who messaged him, but it seems like the majority of those messages came from Youngjae and Jaebum. He sees other names too like his sister (seriously? They literally live in the same house), Wonpil who helps with the Drama club sometimes (he feels tingly just seeing Wonpil’s name on his notifications), Yuju from Glee club who he’s friends with, Doyoung who’s become sort of like his underling ever since he joined the Drama club, and a couple of others.

Most of it is pretty repetitive, just simply asking if Mark and Jinyoung are a thing, and if they really did go on a date yesterday, and other variations of that sort. Jaebum’s is different though. Unlike others, his tone doesn’t convey a congratulatory one nor that of curiosity. He seems to be on the fence about Mark and Jinyoung’s outing yesterday though, swears that Mark has dirt on him or something and convinced that Jinyoung is being blackmailed, and that he’d be really disappointed in Jinyoung if he’s truly going to settle for someone so vain and from the popular table no less.

Jinyoung scrunches up his nose and wonders what to tell Jaebum. He’s contemplating on spilling the truth to him but thinks otherwise. There’s no telling what Jaebum would do. While he’s very caring in the most father-like manner, he shows it in the most explosive way possible—all action in the present, no thoughts of the consequences in the future. He’ll come back to that one later, deciding that it’s better to leave him unanswered as he knows that Jaebum is most likely waiting for his response even now.

There’s a message from Mark too, and Jinyoung opens it. It’s a simple message that has Jinyoung puzzled.

From Mark Bio:
If anybody asks, we’re still not official.

Jinyoung sends him a quick okay before hopping into the shower. He isn’t sure what to expect at school today, if the atmosphere would be different from yesterday. And while he’s not worried, he does feel kind of hesitant to face the campus for reasons he can’t even begin to explain, much less comprehend. Instead of anxiously thinking about such events, he lets the water cleanse away all his concerns.

He must have been so deep in his apprehension though that he doesn’t even remember putting on his clothes and getting on the bus, which must have happened because he’s currently staring at Yugyeom walking towards him from the aisle. He looks down at himself and sees that he’s sporting a navy blue blazer on top of his uniform, paired with the mandatory black shoes and slacks. Which, okay, this actually isn’t a bad look. He should get ready while deep in thought more often.

“Hey,” Yugyeom greets him with a shy smile, but it seems brighter than his usual one. Jinyoung thinks he knows why, feels a little smug about it if he’s quite honest.

Jinyoung smirks at him knowingly. “Hey, yourself.”

Yugyeom sits down next to him, still smiling, still shy.

“Thanks for texting me yesterday,” he whispers and bites his lip. Jinyoung snorts.

“Did you come running after I told you?” Jinyoung pokes him. He can’t help it. Yugyeom is just so poke-able.

“No,” Yugyeom answers in a speed which makes Jinyoung believe otherwise. It makes him roll his eyes.

Sure.”

“You’re one to talk,” Yugyeom pouts. “You and… what did he call himself? ‘Your precious Markeu’?”

Jinyoung pokes him again. If it’s a with a little too much force, he can blame it on his inability to control his strength. Has everyone seen his muscles lately? They grew, like, three hair’s width over winter break.

“Ow.” Yugyeom says as he rubs at where Jinyoung’s fingers were. “Anyway, as I was saying, you both looked like you were having a good time. I think I saw heart eyes from Mark at one point.”

“Mark? Heart eyes?” Jinyoung scoffs. “As if. The only thing that guy has eyes for is himself. It’s all an act, remember.”

“Doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” Yugyeom shrugs.

Jinyoung lets it go.

“Don’t tell Jaebum, by the way.” Jinyoung says lowly. “I have a feeling he won’t take the news lightly.”

“What makes you say that?”

“He means well, but he can overreact sometimes,” Jinyoung says simply. Yugyeom nods in understanding.

“Well, what about Youngjae?”

“Don’t tell him either.” It makes Jinyoung feel a little dizzy just saying that.

“Why not? I feel bad enough as it is hiding your deal with Mark from Jaebum.” Yugyeom frowns. “How do you expect me to stay sane if I don’t have anybody to talk to about your shenanigans?”

“If you tell Youngjae, you know damn well it will reach Jaebum sooner rather than later.”

Yugyeom seems to get it, so Jinyoung continues.

“Plus, you do have someone to talk to about mine and Mark’s ‘shenanigans’ as you call it.”

“And who might that be?” Yugyeom asks, challenging.

Jinyoung’s answer is a wiggle of his eyebrows, and just like that, Yugyeom is hitting him on the arm in succession, but all Jinyoung can do is laugh.

As Jinyoung had said earlier, he didn’t know what to expect at school today. But damn, it sure as hell wasn’t this. As soon as he and Yugyeom pushed through the school doors, all eyes immediately found them. There’s nothing quite as suffocating as feeling literally sixty pairs of eyes on his person. The only feeling that comes close is actually suffocating.

He thinks about his role model in life. In the softest whisper possible, he asks himself.

“Oh god. What would Regina George do?”

It doesn’t even take two seconds. He knows the answer as soon as the question leaves his lips. Regina George would ing own it. And like the best (and worst) decisions of his life, Jinyoung thinks  it and starts strutting down the hallway like he owns this whole campus. Fake it ‘til you make it, they said. Jinyoung if anything is an acting prodigy, so he will do exactly that.

Sure enough, he sees mixed expressions from his peripheral. Yugyeom narrates in whispers as they walk too, not a care in the world.

“That one’s whispering to her friend whose eyes go wide.” Yugyeom says leaning in. “And wow, can those eyes go wide.”

Jinyoung smirks. Yeah, you spread that info, girl.

“Oh look, he looks excited. He’s even taking a photo of us. We’re like celebrities.” Jinyoung wants to correct him that it’s really only Jinyoung who’s like a celebrity. But he doesn’t want to ruin the poor boy’s day, so he just smiles cheekily at the camera phone instead, close-lipped and all dimples.

“Oooh, she looks like she wants to skin you alive.”

He supposes there would be people jealous of them. However, Jinyoung isn’t a weakling, can’t afford to be when one is gay and an over-achiever. She fights with her glares, but Jinyoung fights with his attitude. When Jinyoung passes the girl, he keeps his eyes straight ahead, wearing a sly smile, with the loud thoughts of who she? idk her.

“Oh god, he looks like he wants to skin you alive, chop you up, and feed your bits to the dogs.”

Jinyoung snorts. Let them come. He’s Regina ing George.

When he looks to see who Yugyeom is talk about, his brain short circuits. Jaebum is heading towards them looking like a he’s ready to drop a mofo, and Jinyoung almost pees his pants a little. He looks to his right and finds that Yugyeom has already left. Note to self: if ever people look like they’re about to beat him up and all he has with him is Kim Yugyeom by his side… Run!

“Why haven’t you returned my calls?” Jaebum demands as soon as he reaches Jinyoung.

“Because my soon-to-be boyfriend will get angry and jealous.” Jinyoung reasons, straight-faced.

“I’m not playing around, Jinyoung-ah.” Jaebum proceeds to grab his best friend and shake him. “What is wrong with you? Why are you doing this?”

Jaebum has really strong fingers. Jinyoung rolls his eyes before reaching up to gently remove Jaebum’s grip from his shoulders.

“First of all: ow. Second: nothing is wrong, Jaebum.” Jinyoung grins.

“Bull.”

Jinyoung just sighs. Apparently it’s an invitation for the older boy to keep spouting words.

“Come on, tell me. I know he has something on you. What is it?”

“I’m not being blackmailed, if that’s what you’re still thinking,” Jinyoung says with an edge to his voice.

“I can’t think of any other explanation as to why my best friend, my wonderful, intelligent best friend would consciously consider dating Mark Tuan.”

“You forgot gorgeous.”

“I’m not joking, Jinyoung-ah. This whole thing is preposterous.”

Jinyoung bites his lip and looks at Jaebum in the eye.

“Does someone liking me really sound that preposterous?” Jinyoung asks with a hint of hurt in his voice. “Am I really that hard to like?”

Jaebum’s lips quickly form an ‘o’, eyes showing a flash of regret and guilt. Jinyoung feels shameful for playing with his best friend, but the show must go on. Jinyoung is a pro.

“That’s not what I’m trying to say at all, Jinyoung-ah.” Jaebum tries softly, a down tilt to his lips.

“Then what are you trying to say?”

“I’m just saying that you considering Mark Tuan as a potential lover is really hard to believe.”

“Why is me trying to date so hard to believe?” Jinyoung questions, frowning.

Jaebum sighs. “Stop twisting my words, Jinyoung-ah. It’s not the fact that you’re looking to date that’s unbelievable. It’s the fact that it’s Mark Tuan.”

“Well, all of my friends are dating,” Jinyoung sighs. “And there isn’t exactly a large pool of queer men. Why can’t I also try my chance at love?”

He finishes the sentence with a shy smile.

“Okay, go do that.” Jaebum says exasperatedly. “But please not with Mark Tuan.”

“Why not?”

Jaebum doesn’t answer for a bit, just looks at him kind of sadly. And then-

“I just have a feeling that this won’t end well. I just don’t want to see you getting hurt.”

This time, it’s Jinyoung who’s silent for a minute before he responds.

“You don’t know that.”

“I do, though.” Jaebum says softly. “You get attached quickly, even though you don’t show it. And Mark… Mark doesn’t look like he gives a about anything but him, his friends, and basketball.”

Jinyoung stays silent.

“I’m just looking out for you.” Jaebum doesn’t usually do emotions, so Jinyoung presumes that Jaebum must really be serious about all of this. Jinyoung takes his hand and squeezes it.

“Thank you.” Jinyoung hopes the other boy hears the earnestness in his voice. “Really. But I’m a big boy now; I can take care of myself.”

Jinyoung chuckles lightheartedly before continuing. “And if anything happens, you’ll be the first one to know so you can beat him up for me.”

It takes another moment before Jaebum seems satisfied, or at least not looking like he would snap Mark’s arm when he sees him. The older boy groans.

“Alright, if you’re sure.”

Jinyoung smiles and nods.

“But honestly, you can do so much better than him, trust me.” That’s actually really nice to hear.

“Don’t let him hear you saying that,” Jinyoung chuckles. “He doesn’t look it, but he’s easily butthurt.”

“Oh, he looks it, alright,” Jaebum retorts. “What happened to Wonpil? He’ll suit you so much better than that cocky basketball player.”

Jinyoung gets a tiny bit giddy at the mention of Wonpil’s name.

“I’m pretty sure Wonpil’s straight,” Jinyoung clarifies. “Plus, I’m totally over him.”

Jaebum opens his mouth to say something, but is interrupted by a sudden appearance of one cocky basketball player. “Over who?”

And oh, man. Jinyoung can already feel the atmosphere slowly changing for the worse.

“Nobody!” Jinyoung answers, alarmed. He sees the way Jaebum is looking calculatingly at Mark. Mark doesn’t even look bothered.

“Not me, I hope. It’s only been a day.” Mark jokes with a hand scratching the back of his head.

Jinyoung chuckles. “Of course not.”

Jaebum is still looking at them so intensely, and Jinyoung feels bare from the action.

“Good,” Mark grins toothily, pearly whites and pink gums all in full show. “Well, princess, ready to go?”

Jinyoung needs to have a serious talk with Mark about all this princess-calling.

“Yeah, just a moment.” He tries as sweetly as he can. It comes out kind of flat. Welp.

He gives Jaebum a long hug for all that mushy talk. He knows how hard it is for Jaebum to open up about his feelings. Jinyoung swears he hears Mark huff. Whatever. His pretend-boyfriend-to-be can wait. They’re not going to be late. When they let go, Jinyoung grins at him.

“See you at lunch?”

Jaebum looks at Jinyoung consideringly, then at Mark, then back at Jinyoung. It’s as if he’s trying to decipher what exactly is going on. In the end, it seems Jaebum doesn’t get the answer he’s looking for as he simply replies with “See you at lunch” before hurrying to his and Youngjae’s shared locker.

Jinyoung starts walking towards their class, and Mark follows quickly.

“You really need to stop with all that princess nonsense,” Jinyoung deadpans.

“Never.” Jinyoung can hear the smirk in his voice.

When they get to their classroom, all eyes immediately fall upon them. If looks could kill, Jinyoung and Mark would have died ten times over with the way Seulgi is glaring at them.

Regina George, Regina George, Regina George.

Jinyoung saunters over to his table and sits down with as much poise and grace as he can muster. So naturally, he ends up sitting like a queen.

Before Mark sits down though, Roger, the guy who usually sits to Jinyoung’s left, offers his seat in exchange for Mark’s. Stunned, Mark agrees, and they begin the process of switching the desks since they usually leave their supplies in there overnight.

When they finish, Jinyoung leans over to whisper to Mark. His lips ghost over Mark’s ear as he tells this softly.

“Gotta hand it to Bambam. He can get news out like wildfire.”

Mark chuckles a little too tensely.

“That’s our little Bambi for you.”

 

***

 

Chemistry on Sunday is boring as hell, but Jinyoung supposes that if it’s to help Yugyeom, then what’s a little boredom.

“I still don’t quite get it,” Yugyeom says with a frown.

“Well if you paid half as much attention to me as you do your phone, I’m sure you would be a genius on this subject by now.” Jinyoung says dryly. He’s not joking. They’ve been stuck on this problem for thirty minutes. That’s how long homework is supposed to be, not the amount of time it takes to solve one problem.

“What’s gotten you so glued to your phone anyway?” Jinyoung asks curiously.

Yugyeom says the answer so quietly that Jinyoung has trouble hearing it. Jinyoung already knows the answer though.

“Is a boy really more important than your studies?” Jinyoung lectures in the most motherly voice he can muster.

Yugyeom for his part looks slightly ashamed at his actions. As he should be.

“I guess not.”

“No, my child. The answer isn’t a meek ‘I guess not’. It’s a hard ‘no’. No boy, no girl, no person is more important than your studies, Yugyeom-ah.” Jinyoung places a lot of importance on studies as they literally pave the path for the next 50 years of one’s life. “Except me. I’m obviously important.”

“Obviously,” Yugyeom says with a roll of his eyes.

“Is that attitude? No attitude allowed, child.”

They continue their tutoring section. Yugyeom is lucky Jinyoung is so nice and kind, or else he’d be charging his friend for all this wonderful service.

Later, Jinyoung’s phone beeps as they’re going over stoichiometry.

From Mark Bio:
I think it’s time we make the whole school know we’re ‘official’

From Jinyoung:
Why? Can’t they already tell we’re official?

From Mark Bio:
No they only know we went out but we still haven’t shown solid fact that we’re boyfriends

From Jinyoung:
Pretend boyfriends. Don’t forget the pretend part of it. It’s pretty important.

From Mark Bio:
Whatever anyway we need to make sure the whole school knows our pretend status

From Jinyoung:
How do you suppose we go about that?

From Mark Bio:
Well my princess prepare to be woo-ed on monday ;)

Uhhh? Jinyoung is about to type another reponse, but Yugyeom brings him back to his attention.

“Hello?” He says with hands in front of Jinyoung’s face.

“What?” Jinyoung is confused.

“I asked you a question,” Yugyeom replies with a smirk.

“Oh, sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Now who’s glued to their phone.” Yugyeom throws at him with a chuckle.

Jinyoung stares dryly at him. Yugyeom doesn’t stop though.

“Whatever happened to no boy is more important than studies, eh?”

“Yeah, but me texting Mark right this moment doesn’t affect my grades,” Jinyoung points out. “It affects yours.”

“Ah, your precious Markeu.”

Jinyoung gets up and fakes leaving, and Yugyeom pulls him back down with a laugh. They resume the session for another hour and a half before they get hungry and cook. Which is to say, they made ramen. It tasted good, and that’s all that matters.

Jinyoung doesn’t text Mark back to prove a point.

 

***

 

Woo. Verb. To try to gain the love of someone (typically a woman), especially with a view to marriage.

What kind of ist, ancient, bullcrap definition is this? And marriage? What the hell? He looks up another definition.

Woo. Verb. To seek the favor, support, or custom of. Synonym: to pursue, to charm.

Jinyoung supposes he hasn’t really been pursued before. That one time with the girl who followed him everywhere in the fifth grade does not count, so he doesn’t really know what he’s supposed to expect. Therefore, he goes to school expecting the unexpected. Lamely, as soon as he opens the door, the hall looks just how it usually is around this time.

Jinyoung isn’t disappointed. Nope. He’s relieved. Yeah.

Yugyeom is by his side, texting as usual, but there’s a sly smile on his face. Ah, young love. So pure. So gross.

They make their way to their lockers. When Jinyoung opens it, he squeaks as he is showered with bright red petals. He feels heat creep up the tips of his ears when he notices that the people around them are resolutely staring at the scene. There’s a pink note taped to the door of his locker.

Hey, Princess
Be on the fourth floor balcony at the start of lunch time.
Love,
Your Precious Markeu

Jinyoung bites his lip. What the hell is he trying to do? How did Mark even know how to open Jinyoung’s locker. This is an invasion of privacy. Jinyoung is going to sue!

Yugyeom snickers, and Jinyoung has a feeling that he knows how Mark broke in to his locker, or at least who helped him.

“You should have seen your face,” Yugyeom says. “You looked so shocked.”

Jinyoung just huffs and takes what he needs from his locker.

“Whatever,” He says, then turns around to go to his first class, not giving a care in the world about the red mess he leaves at the hall.

Jinyoung doesn’t get what Mark is playing at when the morning announcement starts and he’s still not at his seat. After Wendy finishes over the intercom, their first period teacher begins writing notes on the blackboard.

To Mark Bio:
Where are you? Class has started.

Mark doesn’t reply, and Jinyoung doesn’t care.

However, during the middle of the class though, someone knocks at the door and tells the teacher that there’s a delivery for a certain Park Jinyoung. Jinyoung’s ears perk up at the mention of his name. The boy then approaches Jinyoung and holds a rose out to him, which Jinyoung takes hesitantly. The class lets out a collective awwhhh.

He takes a good look at the person and thinks that he’s a member of the basketball team.

It happens every period, exactly at the midpoint of class. Like clockwork, a member of the basketball team knocks at the door and tells the teacher that there’s a delivery for a certain Park Jinyoung. And then they approach Jinyoung and hold out the flower to him, and Jinyoung gets increasingly shyer every time he takes them. His classmates’ awwhhh gets progressively louder as well.

The fourth time it happens, someone in the back yells “He’s whipped for you!”

He thinks it’s Namjoon, but he’s not exactly sure.

The bell finally rings to signal that it’s Lunch time, and Jinyoung is now clutching four roses and a pink note as he makes his way to the fourth-floor balcony.

His breath stops though when he turns towards a hall and sees the whole basketball team lining up the walls. Except the first four, each member is holding a rose by their side, and Jinyoung thinks that Mark has really gone overboard with all of this. He sees that standing at the end of the hall is Jackson Wang, which, what?

Jinyoung slowly walks down the hall, taking each rose as he goes, and thanking them with a slight nod to each of the member. When he reaches the end, he has 13 roses with him, a pink note, and a smiling (if a bit strained) Jackson Wang.

“Where’s Mark?” Jinyoung hisses.

Jackson simply steps out of the way and presents the fourth-floor balcony with a stretch of his arm.

When Jinyoung gets to the rails, he sees Mark all the way at the ground, holding a teddy bear about half his height and looking at Jinyoung with a bright smile.

Jinyoung feels his heart skip a beat at the sight. It’s not the fact that it’s Mark though. It’s that nobody has ever done this type of thing for him before. Gosh, he didn’t think he was a romantic, but having someone, anyone, publicly show their love (pretend or not) has him surprisingly giddy.

“Park Jinyoung!” Mark shouts at the top of his lungs from the first floor. His voice is rough from it. Jinyoung hears chatter coming from the lower floors, even the ones exchanged at ground level. Mark looks so little from this view, pocket sized yet buzzing with vibrant energy.

“I like you!” Mark continues, voice a little raw from the volume of his pretend confession. “Will you please be my boyfriend?!”

Never say Park Jinyoung is not a good actor. He covers his mouth with both of his hands, eyes widening for the effect of looking surprised. And then Jinyoung clutches his heart and bites his lip. He pauses for intensity. Then he grips the railing and leans forward.

“I thought you’d never ask!” Jinyoung shouts back, grinning.

There’s a thunderous applause after that, accompanied with some sharp cheering and whooping. Jinyoung is honestly surprised by how well received their little moment is by the public. He races down flights of stairs to get to the first floor, lips hurting from needing to smile too much. As soon as he gets down, he makes his way to Mark quickly, and then they’re in the middle of the quad.

Mark’s smile gets bigger as Jinyoung gets closer. When they’re face to face, there’s a weird tension in the air, and Jinyoung is absolutely certain that everybody has their eyes on them. He hugs Mark and puts his lips close to Mark’s ears.

“I can’t believe you got me a giant teddy bear,” Jinyoung hisses with a strained smile (his cheeks really hurt now, but he’s a professional, so he continues), making sure nobody can hear them. “Now I have to frigging lug it around with me until I get home.”

Mark snorts. “It’s good though, right? Now everybody knows we’re ‘official’.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

They break apart. It’s awkward after that because they’re just standing there in the middle of the quad, not knowing what they’re supposed to do next.

“I think they’re expecting us to kiss,” Mark says, but Jinyoung can’t gauge the emotion behind it.

“Oh gosh, let’s not talk about something so repulsive. I’m about to have lunch in a bit.”

“Well, they’re not leaving.” Mark shrugs, unoffended. “What should we do?”

Jinyoung knows he’ll regret this, but they need to do something that ‘seals the deal’ so that the crowd would disperse. With a sigh, Jinyoung leans in and kisses Mark’s cheek. It’s quick and chaste, but Jinyoung can definitely feel the smoothness of Mark’s skin. He’ll need to wash his lips later. Twice. With rubbing alcohol.

Mark looks surprised though. Thankfully, the chatter dies down, and everyone is slowly walking away from the scene. He takes his teddy bear, startled by how amazingly soft it is. He’s strutting away when he notices that Mark isn’t following him.

“Well come on, sweetheart. I’m hungry.”

Mark snorts.

“Coming princess!”

Mark catches up to him like the good boy he is.

Lunch time seems to be reserved for them as everybody wanted to give them space. It almost feels honeymoon like, and it makes Jinyoung all the more uncomfortable about it.

“I guess it’s just me and you today, honey-bun.” Jinyoung says as he sets his teddy bear down next to him.

“Looks like.”

After a few moments pass, they can definitely feel people’s eyes again. Jinyoung guesses this is how it feels to be the hot topic of the campus.

“Everybody’s staring,” Jinyoung whispers as he eats his food. He can’t really tell what it is. Nobody can.

“Maybe they want us to be more affectionate,” Mark says thoughtfully. “Feed me.”

Jinyoung turns to him and shakes his head. “You’re a grown man, Tuan. Feed yourself.”

“Cmon, princess. I think it would satisfy people’s appetite for juicy gossip.”

Jinyoung takes a few seconds to decide. Reluctantly, he takes a spoonful of rice with meat curry(?) and offers it to Mark. The other boy leans into it and opens his mouth to eat. Once done, Mark looks extremely satisfied, and Jinyoung thinks this is just a ploy for Mark to be fed because he’s lazy as heck.

Mark is correct though. It looks as if with every spoonful, fewer and fewer pairs of eyes were on them. If Jinyoung purposefully misses one of them so that it ends up on the side of Mark’s cheek, nobody has to know but him.

At the end of the day, Mark offers to walk Jinyoung home.

“For effect.”

“No thanks,” Jinyoung says. “I get enough of you as it is.”

“You can get more if you just let yourself,” Mark says with a wink.

“And that’s my cue to leave.”

Jinyoung leaves to the sound of Mark’s laughter.

 

***

 

It’s been a couple days since they became official to the school, and honestly, it’s not bad. Jinyoung is having fun with it. People who generally don’t say ‘hi’ to him has started greeting him good morning. Students at the hallway would part like the Red Sea as if he truly is Regina George. Damn, it feels good to finally receive the attention he clearly deserves.

And oh, there’s his boytoy facing away from him. With a sly smile, Jinyoung creeps up behind Mark and gives him a back hug.

“Hey, sugar muffin,” Jinyoung says overly sweet. Mark is slightly surprised by the sudden physical touch, but regains himself quickly when he sees that it’s Jinyoung.

“Oh, hey princess!”

Jackson makes a gagging sound. Jinyoung releases Mark and steps closer to Jackson with crossed arms.

“Jealousy doesn’t suit you,” Jinyoung tells him with a smirk.

“Your whole outfit doesn’t suit you,” Jackson replies with a laugh and steps closer “Also, you don’t have to pretend in front of me.”

“Wow. Good to know,” Jinyoung says exaggeratedly as he takes another step forward. “Unfortunately, you’re not our only audience.”

“Unfortunate, indeed.” Jackson is centimeters away from Jinyoung now. From here, Jackson doesn’t look as big. Jinyoung always thought that the older boy had more height than him, but it seems that his personality and outward mannerism makes him look taller and feel bigger than he truly is.

Mark coughs from the side.

“Come on, we’re gonna be late.” Mark declares saltily before turning around and pulling Jinyoung away from Jackson. “See you at lunch, Jacks.”

Jackson looks just as confused than Jinyoung feels, if not more.

“Uh, okay. Later, Markie-poo.”

Oh. Markie-poo. He’ll save that one for later since Mark seems to be annoyed by it.

“Were you able to ask Bae Suzy to be your running mate?” Jinyoung asks.

“Yeah.” Mark answers.

Mark is being short with him. Okay.

“And what did she say?”

“She said yes.” Mark says, expressionless.

“Great. That’s wonderful news.” Jinyoung tries.

“Yeah, she’s coming over today to make posters for our campaign.” Mark says then looks at Jinyoung. “You’re welcome to join.”

“Ah, no thanks. I have to make posters for the Drama club’s upcoming performance as well.”

“Bummer.”

“Markeu!” A gentle voice squeaks from behind them. When Jinyoung turns around, it’s to be met with dazzling beauty.

“Oh. Hello, Suzy!” Mark greets her with a smile.

“Good morning,” Suzy says and kisses Mark’s cheek. Which, what the ? Suzy must have heard Jinyoung’s thoughts or is psychic or something because she looks at Jinyoung with a worrisome expression. “Oh, I’m sorry. Am I not allowed to do that? I just assumed it would be okay since he’s gay and all.”

Jinyoung forgets to answer, so Mark does it for him.

“It’s fine,” Mark says with a laugh and a scratch of his head.

“Cool!” Suzy exclaims with such pure energy that Jinyoung needs to close his eyes for a moment because he thinks he might go blind. “Are we still on for today?”

“Yeah, totally!” Mark grins.

“Spectacular!” Suzy says. Who the hell even says spectacular anymore? “I’ll see you after school then.”

Suzy steps up to give Mark a long, tight, ful hug. And Mark for his part doesn’t seem disturbed by how touchy Suzy is. Jinyoung is questioning now if Mark truly is straight.

“Bye, Markeu.” Suzy waves as they break apart.

“Bye!” Mark says back cheerfully.

“Later, Jinyoung.” It’s a lot less enthusiastic. Jinyoung just nods and waves.

“Isn’t she great?”

“The greatest,” Jinyoung ignores the flatness of his tone. “Say, what time are you meeting up again? I just realized that my printer is out of ink.”

“Oh, you’re coming? Sweet!” Mark replies with a grin. “We’re meeting at the quad as soon as last period ends.”

“Great! We can walk there together after class.”

Mark nods.

“Now carry my bag.”