Yellow Tulips

Dandelion
Please log in to read the full chapter

She set the bouquet of yellow tulips on fire. 

Jennie was twenty years old when she quite literally bumped into Bae Joo-hyun, or as she would later introduce herself as Irene.  Irene was an enigma, an incredible beauty with an impressive poker face that left even Jennie flustered. 


Jennie had been hurrying to work. She was already half an hour because she had slept in at Taeyong’s place and he hadn’t bothered to wake her up. When she did wake up, she had kicked him and fled from his apartment, ignoring his chuckles and racing home to get ready for work. She had once again run to the station from her house barely catching the 9:45 train. She remembered feeling so panicked that she was going to be late for the first time, she hadn’t even thought to call or message ahead and inform her owner.  She had jumped off the train before the door had even opened properly and sprinted like her life had depended on it. Soon enough, she saw the familiar ragged sign brightly screaming ‘The Coffee Club’ and so she ran harder, bumping into strangers leaving behind stray curses and angry frowns. 

Bang 

Jennie suddenly fell to the ground, her legs squished uncomfortably underneath her and the content of her bags strewed on the ground. Just like in the cheap cliché movies, she was used to seeing Lisa giggle over; stray papers that looked like music sheets were flying in the air, slowly to rest among her things. Jennie winced, ready for a rush of angry words, for pathetic slurs that she would forget as soon as she got busy and the ugly look on the face of a stranger. So, she slowly looked up from the ground noticing the high heeled boots long pale legs and a dress that she instantly recognized as Gucci. Jennie kept on looking up, and soon found the air out of her lungs. The girl, no woman was beautiful. She was absolutely beautiful, she was breathtaking. With long black hair, dark brown eyes and elfish features, all Jennie could think of was a “fairy”.


The women smirked then. A smirk filled with smugness and a hint of glee. It took Jennie a second to realize she had said it out loud and another half second for the blood to rush to her cheeks. Jennie felt flustered, in front of this beautiful stranger. Suddenly, she realized where she was, and stood up abruptly; pushing down on even the tiniest bit of embarrassment she had felt. The stranger raised an eyebrow- her left eyebrow, delicately and hummed. 


Jennie gave a quick short bow, mumbled and half-assed apology and set off on her way. She had walked maybe two steps when a hand reached out to grab hers. She glanced down to see long fingers and shiny red painted nails curl around her wrist. She looked at the stranger making sure her face betrayed no emotions. The stranger watched her quietly, not speaking a word, and then she gestured towards Jennie’s bag. Jennie didn’t let her lips form an ‘o’ in surprise instead she picked up her bag and without a second glance walked away from the stranger.  When she had finally made it into the café and apologized profusely to the owner, only then did she dare to peek at the stranger from behind the blinds of the café windows.  The stranger was still standing there, the wind blowing the face in her hair and yet that didn’t distract her from looking Jennie’s way.  They stood like that for a long moment, Jennie the girl in darkness hiding behind the blinds and Irene the girl under the sun hiding behind her face, both eyes firmly locked on each other. 


It was after another long moment; Irene broke the eye contact, turning away first. 


Jennie didn’t see her for three months after that. She had all but forgotten about the beautiful stranger. Her life had suddenly gotten busier, she didn’t have the time to breathe, let alone daydream about random women she had bumped into. 


Jennie had been walking home from Jisoo’s place, her heart furious at seeing her so happy when Taeyong was still suffering from the party three years ago.  It was then as she was passing by the park, she had noticed the unmistakable figure of the stranger. She had ducked behind a t

Please log in to read the full chapter