Cypress

Dandelion
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

She clutched the bunch of Cypress tighter in her hands and smiled.

 

Her eyes were closed and she was humming.  She was humming an odd little tune as she battled the wind. The cold wind was caressing her face as she went higher on the uncomfortable swing.

The playground was empty and quiet. It wasn't the usual place where children giggled and laughed, their faces scrunched up and their eyes alight. It wasn't the same place where friendships were made, where hugs were given freely and pinky promises made with delicate little hands. No, it wasn't the warm playground that every child begged their parents to take. It was gloomy, it was wretched.

She was the lone soul there attempting to fly as she pushed herself to go higher on the swings. She was the only person shivering against the cold, eyes shut tight in fear of her surroundings. She was the only child there dreaming of princesses and ponies, only seven years old, humming a self-composed tune as she attempted to pretend everything was fine.

She had managed it too. She had made herself the princess of a bright kingdom with talking ponies and fairies. Her loyal citizens were made up of unicorns and ponies, kittens and puppies. She had seen herself wearing a beautiful tiara that seemed to sparkle and shine. Flowers would decorate the whole kingdom and her favorite flowers would all be there at her very own bedroom. She would discover new flowers and name them after her favorite friends and favorite colors. She had been living wearing only pretty pink dresses and having tea parties.  Her friends would surround her and love her, play with her and laugh with her. The king and queen; her parents; standing proudly with their arms around her, their faces radiant and strong. She had lost herself in her humble world.

"Jennie, Jennie, where are you?" she broke out of her world with a startled gasp.

She turned around and saw her mother rushing to her. Her eyes were suspiciously bright with tears and was quivering. She reached Jennie quickly, and Jennie was even more startled when she felt herself being hugged. Jennie blinked, her face fu

Please log in to read the full chapter