Yellow Rose (Kiiroibara, 黄色い薔薇)

Dandelion
Please log in to read the full chapter

The thorns of the yellow rose pricked her and yet she felt no pain.

It was the night of her seventeenth birthday and Jennie was sitting out on the porch of her house. Her friends and mom had arranged a surprise birthday party for her. Jennie had been confused when Lisa and Rosè had dragged her out to the movies, then later to shopping. She understood now that they had been distracting her as Jisoo, Taeyong and the rest of her friends had been busy decorating the place.

Her heart had nearly jumped out of her chest when she had opened the door to her house and met with screams and cheers. The tiredness and drowsiness had immediately disappeared and she had been left there mouth open and eyes open.  Her mom had embraced her warmly, her eyes glowing and her smile shining beautifully. Jennie had felt her own lips mimic her smile. The rest of her friends had joined then, hugging and patting her. She had ended up sandwiched between them all but her smile had never left her face.

Skip to a couple of hours, after cutting the cake, her mom had disappeared, claiming teenagers needed space. Jennie knew that she had gone to her Aunt’s house. Song Mino and his family were the only pairs of family they had, or at least they knew of. They were very ,very distantly related but that was enough for both families and so they had become a close family. Jennie didn’t mind, Mino had always been her favourite cousin even though he was the only cousin she had.

The party had gone a bit crazy after her mother had left but she still tried to go with the flow. She wanted to party and go crazy like everyone else seemed determined to do, and she was succeeding too. She was doing pretty well too. She knew she was a bit tipsy and she was sweating a lot due to the excessive amount of dancing she had done the past hour. However, she was having the time of her life. The past few days leading up to her birthday had been dreadfully boring and dull.

Jennie was excitedly dancing to a new song. Although she would never be as good of a dancer as Lisa, who was doing flips and complex steps that had everyone staring in astonishment, Jennie wasn’t too bad. She could move to the rhythm and knew how to enjoy the song, which she assumed wasn’t too bad as her friends sent surprised looks at her as well. She knew she was very stiff so she understood which was why everyone was expecting her to be as bad as Jinwoo who looked every awkward as she flapped his arms around.

 Dancing a bit more, Jennie decided to sit out the song and just watch her friends from the sidelines, as she picked up a stray unopened water bottle. Slowly sipping water, she glanced around occasionally stopping at her friends who were doing questionable things.

She started to chuckle as she saw Taeyong in a dark corner, a dark frown in his face and eyes searching for something or she guessed someone. She shook her head.  He was in love. Her heart ached every time she thought about it. She knew he already struggled with feelings. He was just like her and yet he was different. Jennie knew only to repress her emotions and banish them to the dark corner in h

Please log in to read the full chapter