The competition

Faded Facade

note(s): italics are flashbacks

D-2

Sunggyu keeps on insisting that the competition they are going to attend is a national competition, rubbing it on principal’s face with every chance he get. Or in this case, every chances he ‘make’. And finally he got what he wanted, a day off studies. He immediately dissappear after getting a written approval from the principal, off to the members respective classroom, taking them to choir practice room. He was about to go to the teacher’s room and get Woohyun to practice with them, he is their official –even if temporary- coach anyway. But right before he knocked on the door, he remembered what Woohyun said to him last night.

Last Night-

They bid their good-byes upon arriving in front of Sunggyu’s house, Donghyun is sleepy since he cried a little too much so Woohyun decided that it’d be better if the two of them go home right away. The uncle and his nephew walked straight to their house. However Woohyun asked Sunggyu to wait for a while, saying that he needs to tell him something. After following Donghyun to open up the lights, Woohyun came back out.

‘I have something to tell you.’ Seriously, people need to stop abusing the fact that those words are bad for the other person’s heart, it puts you on edge as you wonder what on earth is that ‘something’. No, Sunggyu is totally not thinking about the impossible, he sighed, he needed to sort out his thoughts.

“The school informed me through e-mail that the soccer competition that Kirin School Team will attend is moved to another date.” Sunggyu didn’t see what that has to do with him until Nam seonsaengnim feel that he needed to know about it.

Then, he understood why. But he can’t understand the feeling of betrayal and disappointment upon hearing what Nam seonsaengnim had to say next.

“I checked the date twice, and it really is, err, the same date as the date for choir competition. So it seems that I won’t be able to attend that competition, since I only have one body hahaha,” He could see the teacher’s effort in making it seems not that serious. He is a soccer coach, he applied to be one in the first place, not a vocal coach, so Sunggyu should have understand why he decided to abandon the choir team and go with his team instead. That was what his mind told told him, yet his action showed otherwise. Sunggyu stared at him for a while before saying that it is okay, then proceeded to his house right after. Not even looking back when he felt Woohyun’s gaze lingered on him.

End of flashback

Shouts from the field can be heard from where he is standing now since he is at the sport department section right now. He would be busy training, what are you even thinking Kim Sunggyu. After making sure that he has been to all classes he then follows his team mates who are supposed to be at the choir practice room.

Time for coach Sunggyu to come back then, it’s a good thing that his passion burns even stronger, as if to prove that he can do better without a certain cheesy coach. Everyone are already inside when he arrives, except for 2 students whose class are in the middle of having test now. But that’s all right, they have more than half a day to practice anyway, and the whole day tomorrow, that is enough for Sunggyu to unleash the devils inside him.

D-1

They practiced hard today, hard enough until Sunggyu deemed it satisfying. They didn’t  talk at all since last night, probably since the two of them are busy for their own respective task on hands, but Sunggyu would not deny that he might or might not resume his ‘avoiding Nam seonsaengnim’ routine. Although the team are all exhausted since they practically danced and sang all day, the atmosphere is peaceful unlike how it used to be when Sunggyu was in charge before Woohyun came. Seems like Sunggyu really take Woohyun’s advice and the others can see the difference clearly, to the point that they think an angel possessed their solo singer. To ease the burden they are carrying, they decided to go on a barbeque party, Sunggyu thanks all the lord that he escaped the unfortunate luck of having to pay the bills. Nevertheless, they are having fun, and for once since the pressure of this competition got him, he can laugh freely.

He went home earlier before the others, some are talking about continuing the pre-party at Sujeong’s house, and he only warned all of them to not oversleep since they have to be on time tomorrow, before asking for a leave. He walks home on his own, he memorised the route already anyway, but he can’t shake off the odd feeling due to an empty spot beside him. He himself wonders how that new teacher can enter his life with such ease, to the point where he is comfortable with his presence. His feet automatically brought him to his house while he is drowning himself in his thoughts, when he looks up, he can see that his neighbour’s house is still dark and void of any living beings. He wonder who will take care of the poor little guy next door, as if on cue, a high squeal welcome him when he open the door to his house. Guess he will spend more bonding time without the uncle for a while.

D-day

Sunggyu’s mom has been busy ever since the sun rises. She has one extra mouth to feed since turns out Woohyun can’t make it home last night, he has some soccer stuff to do with the other coaches. Thanks to that Sunggyu is waking up to a cute fluffy hair tickling his arm. Donghyun whined about sleeping alone last night, so he ended up sleeping with Sunggyu. Seriously, at this rate he believes he has every right to call the boy his brother. He stretches his arm a little bit too roughly, bringing back the boy from his dreamland. The boy mumbles incoherent words while he clings on Sunggyu with his messy nest-like hair, blinking his eyes cutely at Sunggyu when he doesn’t get the hug he wants. Sunggyu chuckles silently as he hugs the boy and coo at the cuteness. It’s a shame that he can’t see how alike both of them are.

They finished a quick-bubble bath before going down for breakfast, he can see his mom finished the war in the kitchen and breakfast is ready, but his dad is nowhere to be seen, he is pretty sure he reminded him about the competition during dinner last night.

“Good morning eomma, where is appa??” they both grab their toast and devour it right away, Donghyun even has some chocolate smeared on his cheeks already

“He has some urgent work to do but he made sure that he would be there at the competition sweetie, now let’s get ready you need to look perfect for today’s performance!”

-oOo-

They got off the stage along with thunderous applause coming from the audience, the nervous feeling is back but Sunngyu is sure their team have done their best. He just hopes the result won’t betray their hard work. Unlike him, the kids are just happy that they have done a decent job, some come to him to give him a pat on his shoulder since they think his voice completely mesmerised the audience and judges back there. And this also means there will be no strenuous training anymore, they will go back to their usual training schedule, but that is only if the result is satisfying. That is why Sunggyu can’t calm down and keep on pacing back and forth despite Jang seonsaeng’s plead.

Since Woohyun can’t make it, the school sent another teacher to be Kirin School’s representative, and Dongwoo volunteered since he is curious at how well they will perform, especially his trouble maker Sunggyu. And he personally thinks that they are amazing, and for the first time, he sees how passionate Sunggyu can be, with hope twinkling in his eyes. At that moment he admits that Sunggyu is just a kid, who loves singing a little too much.

Even if they finished their turn, there are approximately 15 teams left to perform, and that means they need to wait for a little longer, since the winner announcement will be done today so no team are allowed to go before that. Sunggyu decides that waiting inside at the back stage will just make him more nervous, so he excuses himself to go out and enjoy other performances instead. He is a little disappointed his dad is not there watching his performance, but he understands that his dad’s works mean the world to him. Important enough for him to look over his son’s dream, at least that is what he can conclude since that incident. He finds his mom among the crowd of audience, and he immediately sits beside her after his mom pulls Donghyun up to sit on her lap instead, so that her son can sit on the chair previously occupied by the little boy. A smile from his mom is enough for him to calm down, as he can see how proud she looks from the way her smile stretches to her eyes. Donghyun immediately clap and ask him to sing for him next time, which Sunggyu agreed to then they lock their fingers for a pinkie promise.

The competition started as early as 11 a.m., since it is a formal national event, so there were speeches and introductions, the actual competition actually starts at 2 p.m. after everyone grab their lunch provided by vendors. It is now 4.30 p.m. and the last team just finished their performance, the mc announced that they will be back at 5.30 p.m. to announce the result of this competition, and Donghyun is more than happy to jump and finally able to squeal since Mrs Kim keep on asking him to be a good boy and lower down his voice during the performances. Both of them decide to go out since Donghyun is obviously bored, you can’t expect a little kid to enjoy hours of sitting down and keeping quiet, it’s fortunate already that he is considerate enough to not whine like other kids. That makes the Kim mother and son like him more. Sunggyu then went back to the rooms prepared for participants, there he can finally see the nervous expressions from his team members, and he chuckles at them knowing that they finally get back to their senses and the burden is back. However as a good senior in the team, he tells them to loosen up and not long after, Jang seonsaengnim comes in with bags of snacks and the atmosphere return to normal. Food is seriously a really fascinating solution to everything.

-oOo-

The third place and second place are already up there on stage, waiting for the mc to finish announcing the winners. And KCT is not one of the team standing on the stage, they get more nervous as the mc gets ready to announce the winner of this competition. When their name gets called loudly through speakers, Jang seonsaengnim can’t contain his happiness and even ‘howl’ and claps like a seal before ushering his students to go up the stage and receive their awards since all of them just stand as still as a rock despite the calls from the mc.

‘We made it. We lives up to people’s expectations!’ all members walk to the centre of the stage with happy smiles and in a proud manner, other school teams nod their head at them, acknowledging their performance and admitting that they deserve the first place. Sunggyu represent the team to receive the trophy and certificate, he holds himself from squealing and jumps around, since even if this is not his first win, this is the first time he receives the award during a competition, usually his seniors do it for the team. When they walk down the stage after the awarding ceremony took place, he is greeted by someone totally unexpected. Nam seonsaengnim is there, still in his coach track suit and smells like grass and sun, giving him his sweetest smile before embracing him in a bone crushing hug. He can’t comprehend the giddy and relieved feelings upon seeing one of the people he has been waiting for all day. So at that time, he doesn’t see anything wrong from hugging the teacher back, even burying his face on his chest, letting out the happy tears he has been holding in. He can feel a soft pat on his back, and chain of compliments of how well they did, and how well he did keep on flowing to his ears in melodious voice. He can’t deny that today is definitely the best day in his life since God knows when. He can’t contain his happiness when he sees his dad after he and Woohyun release their hug, running to him with a proud smile. However it seems that happiness really ruin his observation skill, he can’t see the solemn look on his mom’s face beside his dad, thus he totally didn’t expect a hard slap on his right cheek upon reaching an arm distance from his dad.

 

 

 

A/N: after several-coughs-seven-coughs chapters, the conflict will finally be explained. And I hope you will understand why the title is faded facade after reading the next few chapters. I'm not sure whether I should put this story to an end after the conflict is solved- anyway, enjoy a whooping longer update, sorry but I can't stop trying to squeeze woogyu's moment in each chapter teehee!

p.s: so sorry for not replying the comments I got before, I realised maybe that is why most of you are not leaving any comments- I will reply to all of it soon!! (like really soon XD)

p.s.s: I will upload a woogyu oneshot on (hopefully) valentine day, do check it out peeps~!