Point Of View

Faded Facade

Birds chirping, sun rays seeping through the curtain, everything is so peaceful for the boy to be able to curl up on his bed, still wandering the dreamland.

But even the greatest dream must stop, when the alarm blares loudly from his night stand. Rushing foot step can be heard approaching his room, and once again his door is abused by none other than his mom.

“I swear to God if you don’t wake up and change the alarm tone right now I’m throwing your phone out the window. I’m sick of having mini rock concert every morning kim sunggyu.” His fluffy bed cover is harshly pulled away by his mom, and he put on all his conciousness to pull out his pillow from under his head to act as an impromtu barrier from reality.

“Good morning eomma.” He mumbled from under the pillow. His alarm stopped as it knew that it stands no chance against the world’s greatest alarm, a mother.

His mother sighed at her son “Be thankful you’re my favorite son in the world, now open your eyes and wake up.”

“Eomma they are open!” His eyes may look like lines but they are open, and he can see perfectly. Mrs. Kim only giggles at that, she always love to baby, however if other people tease his son about his eyes, she will be on the frontline defense.

Now stop pouting and go wash yourself, breakfast is ready I will wait with your appa downstairs.” Sunggyu lazily drags his feet to the bathroom, at least they have warm water.

-oOo-

“Good morning Kim Sunggyu.” His dad greets him once he enter the dining room.

“Good morning appa.” He replied curtly. After that incident, the father and son relationship become so distant, although habits like greetings and gestures are mostly still there, interactions between them only happen when Mrs. Kim is there.

“We ran out of strawberry jam so I made you rice balls for breakfast instead honey.” His mom says as she makes a glass of lemon juice for herself, it’s for detox something if he is not mistaken. Who is crazy enough to drink something so sour early in the morning. That is why he never understand girls.

He grabs a rice ball and shoves it all into his mouth before chewing it nice and good. His mom still has the touch it tastes good as always, he listen to his mom’s story about her friends and the neighbour kiddo, his father replies occasionally when he is not stuffing his mouth with the food, since his eating habit is the same as Sunggyu’s, like father like son. He finishes his share and his milk before picking up his bag and telling his parents that he will be off to school. He is excited to come to school today, first of all, it’s the last day of school, second, he is informed earlier by the Head of Performing Art Department that they finally find a decent vocal trainer to handle the choir team at least until the competition ends. He never felt that he is good enough as a trainer, he always fear that he is not doing the right things and the group might fail because of that, thus with the confirmation of an official temporary trainer he feels a bit at ease.

He met Hoya and Sungjong on the way to school, those two are like the younger version of him and Myungsoo, always being seen together, despite not being the bestest of friends, maybe they are more like a pair of completely opposite siblings. But they complete his life in their own way, Hoya with his motherly care and Sungjong with his twin-like skill of mind reading.

“You look ecstatic this morning hyung, a penny for your thoughts?”

“Tomorrow is weekend and my dad will be out and won’t be back until Tuesday. Most importantly, today I’m meeting the new temporary vocal trainer.”

“Eoh? I thought you will not like the new vocal trainer..” Hoya trails off as Sungjong is giving him a death glare with those big eyes. Of course both of them know who the new vocal trainer is, but Sungjong is quick in grasping the situation and he thinks it is best to leave it as a surprise for Sunggyu. Sunggyu looks at Hoya in confusion, but quickly brush it off as they arrive at the school lobby, the three of them need to go to different parts of the school, Sunggyu to the art section, Hoya to the sport section and the diva to the fashion section.

-oOo-

He should have asked this morning. He should have known that there is something off with sungjong’s and hoya’s reaction this morning.

Standing in front of him and the choir team is one of the new teacher in the school, Mr. Nam Woohyun.

“I thought you are a P.E. teacher.”

“I never said I couldn’t sing, and there is no rules against someone who play sport to be good at singing, blame my mother for giving birth to such a talented kid.” The other kids are chuckling at that, of course Kim Sunggyu is not included, he is so pissed off right now since his hope was crushed by the man in front of him, he is sure as hell this teacher is just messing with him, sport people never understand the beauty of art, moreover sympathising with emotional aspect in singing.

He is determined to find every reason to make the school take back their decision on making Nam seonsaengnim their new vocal trainer. All mistakes will go straight to his pocket note. Now he realise the reason behind Nam seonsaengnim asking the question yesterday, he should have foreseen this and prevent it from happening, but now that the teacher is here he just need to find a way to make him know that this is not a place for him, there is no soccer ball to kick here.

“Now let me listen to the song that you guys have been practicing. No need to feel tense, just show me how you guys have been singing these days.” Once again he flashed his puppy like smile. They are going to perform a mash up of Ed Sheeran’s perfect and Elvis’s can’t help falling in love with you, he personally loves the mash up, and so he is going to show his best, he just hope the kids can do as well as the last practice.

“That was one beautiful mash up, as expected from Kirin Choir Team, we just need to fix little details here and there, now I would like you to practice in pairs of tenor/soprano with bass/alto, or if you prefer to be in three it’s alright but make sure it is mixed.” Oh it totally sound far from beautiful on Sunggyu’s perfectionist ears, but Nam Woohyun still have that smile plastered on his face as if to encourage the students to keep up the good work when in fact Sunggyu thinks they can do better than this. As a male soloist he can’t practice in groups as he needs to sing a alone and even be the lead, so he chooses to get some fresh air outside. Okay that is one lame excuse, the real reason is because he can really see that he failed his duty on training them before Nam Woohyun comes, and he is both embarassed and disappointed at himself.

“Why are you here Nam Seonsaengnim?” Sunggyu asks when he realised that the certain teacher is following him.

“The same goes to you Kim Sunggyu, why did you leave in the middle of a practice?”

“I don’t need to practice harmonisation and I- I just think I need to clear my mind for a while.” Sunggyu shifted on his place, a clear sign when he is not comfortable or embarassed. Kim Sunggyu is like an open book, to Nam Woohyun at least.

“I know that was not the best of Kirin Choir Team, this school’s team made quite a name out there.” Woohyun comes closer to Sunggyu when he stops walking under the school’s big oak tree near the choir practice room, many students come there when they need a calm place to do last minute study or simply go on an impromptu lunch date with their couple. Fortunately it is after school time already and no student is there at the moment so it’s only the two of them, now sitting under the shade of the big tree.

Then why did you compliment us? We sounded like elementary kids singing at the monthly assembly,” okay that is one exaggeration.

“You know flowers bloom more beautifully when you compliment them, sometimes it takes more than practice to bloom like a beautiful flower, maybe you are taking singing more seriously than most people, but you have to realise that not everyone are like you Kim Sunggyu.” Sunggyu’s behaviour screams perfection, and it is hard to deny that he is nearly perfect. And with his talent, it seems like he really is born to sing, Woohyun is sure anyone can see that.

“Once you guys finish singing I can see one prominent problem that you guys have, confidence. Most of you focus more on not making mistakes rather than actually trying to convey the message of the song through singing it.” Sunggyu certainly is passionate, but he does have that fear of rejection, afraid that he will not be able to sing to people’s expectation.

“I know that with the school’s reputation on your shoulder, you need to ensure that everything is perfect according to KCT’s standard, but being hard on them will only decrease their confidence or worse, passion for singing.” Sunggyu realises how bad he has been these past few weeks, and he regret it. This further emphasise how bad he was as a trainer.

“However I must admit that you did a great job Kim Sunggyu, the kids just need a little boost of confidence and I believe they will be able to showcase their full ability which you have helped to shine, you have worked hard Kim Sunggyu.” Nam seonsaengnim patted his head as he tells him that, on normal occasion he would’ve slapped his hand away but maybe the sun is shining bright enough today to make him feel warmth spreading throughout his bodies instead.

-oOo-

By the end of today’s practice the students look totally brighter, and Sunggyu totally forgets his plan on getting Nam seonsaengnim out from the team, he honestly think the teacher actually makes a decent vocal trainer and his voice is as pleasant as the sound of the rain to him. Wait what makes him think like that, he is thankful all of that are just in his mind.

“Now shall we go Kim Sunggyu?” other students took their leave already, as always Sunggyu is the one who stayed behind to check on everything before locking the room and giving the key to the security guard. It has been like that since the seniors stop coming regularly, Sunggyu is anonymously assigned as the room keeper.

“Why should we go home together again?”

“Because I need to bring my nephew home and it appears that our house is next to yours.” Sunggyu sighed at that fact, at first Nam seonsaengnim offered him a ride on his bike but Sunggyu refused saying that he is used to walking home from and to school. Both of them end up walking together to their houses since Woohyun insisted on making sure Sunggyu arrive home safely, he even used his nephew as an excuse.

With constant conversation accompanying their way home, of course it is mostly composed on bickers, they finally reached sunggyu’s house. Sunggyu finds it weird to see his mom standing on the porch as if waiting for him to come home, while she usually prefers to slouch on the couch if she finished preparing dinner. She immediately rushed to them, even before they can greet her.

“Nam woohyun-ssi, I really am sorry.” And started sobbing, making both men flustered.

“Eomma waeyo?” sunggyu decided to comfort her by hugging her, okay this surely is unusual.

“Donghyun was supposed to be dropped off at our house since his parents are once again not home, but I think the kindergarten ended earlier today and I was not at home at that time, I waited for him and when it’s getting late I called the school, only to find out that they already dropped him off here but he is nowhere to be found.” Sunggyu mom tried her best to explain in between sobs, Woohyun just stand there with his mouth agape hearing the explanation, oh my god. Where on earth is his cute nephew Donghyun?

A/N: instead of an idiot, nam woohyun is now a puppy in gyu's eyes kkk. I almost write an angst chapter because of 'Why me', but I realised half way that this story is on the light genre. Anyway, last year surely is different, I think I can only update once a week once my class officially starts this semester, so I am going to apologise in advance. And thank you for those who commented as always, hope to see you and others on the comment section for this chapter too hehe :3

P.s : I only edit this chapter once, do tell me if there is anything weird written up there

P.s.s: what is your favorite track from top seed? mine is of course tell me, and the solos are great too!