January

Gradually
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Early January

It's meant to be the month for new beginnings. As the saying goes: New year, new start. Wiping the slate clean and forgetting whatever unhappy moments occurred in the previous year. For twenty year old Alexis Thompson, it feels like the same crap is just going to happen all over again.

Happy New Year, Seattle. She thinks to herself as she inhales the smoke of her cigarette and expertly exhales foggy rings. She doesn't smoke very often, but when she does it's because she really feels that she needs to.

It's the first day of January in the New Year and she doesn't feel different or happier at all. It's been hours since the crazy house party ended, and instead of making her way back to her apartment, she stares at the clear water of the local lake and shoves a hand in her pocket. What is she meant to do now?

Is there a point of going home? She could go back to bed and try and get some sleep but she knows she'll just end up thinking about things she doesn't want to. She might as well stay out here for a bit she decides, she's been out all night and she hasn't got anywhere she should desperately be anyway.

Alex drops the cigarette and stubs on it with her shoe. Sighing to herself, she looks behind her to check her surroundings. It's relatively silent as her eyes roam the area. No one walking about, no annoying early morning runners. Her eyes soon grow tired, and she is close to shutting them tight and falling asleep on that bench she finally notices over there...

Occupied by that person.

She squints her eyes and tries to make out the figure. She can tell it's a male and he's holding something. She takes a few steps towards the male, her shoes making a sound as it scrapes against the concrete. She can finally see that the boy has well styled jet black hair for so early in the morning and is holding a vodka bottle. His handsome face looks depressed, as he stares solemnly out at the lake's water. His long legs are stretched out in front of him as well, and suddenly he looks oddly familiar...hold on a moment...

"...Jimin?" Jimin looks up at the sound of his name, and once his eyes land on the girl in front of him they hold momentary shock. Of all the people to be seeing at this time of the day it was Alexis Thompson, the girl who always showed up late to their biology degree classes without fail. He quickly covers up his stunned expression however with a gravelly smirk.

Alex doesn't know him very well, but if there's one thing she knows about him in the prior year she's seen him around is that he only ever seems to smirk at people. Smiling doesn't seem to be his thing, but I guess with the reputation he holds around it would only make sense.

"Alexis. What are you doing here? You don't some like the 'morning person' type," She stares at him for a few moments, making him feel uneasy. She's noticed his attempt at hiding his true emotions but she doesn't say anything about it; she eventually just shrugs.

"I've got nowhere else to be." She sits down next to him, making sure there is some space in between them; it's silent for a seconds before she asks. "What's your excuse?" His smirk vanishes and it's replaced with the same solemn look as before. He looks away and it takes him a while to answer; she knows he'll come up with something far from the truth.

"Oh you know," He says trying to sound casual. "I just wanted to get a head start on the New Year, see what it looks like. I do it every year." Alexis scoffs. She doesn't mean to, but it just slips out. The sound brings Jimin's eyes back to her attention and he raises an eyebrow.

"What, did I offend you or something?" She rolls her eyes before replying.

"No, it's just..." She debates on telling him her true answer. What would it matter if she tells him anyway? It's not like he'll judge her or anything.

"What's the point? I know it's going to be another lame year. A load of fights, people judging you based upon very stupid things, being let down by people you thought you could trust, just another ty year...for me anyway." She whispers the last part and doesn't like the feeling that his eyes boring into hers give her; so she looks down and stares at his shoes. He's always been a fan of 'All-Star' converse.

"I get you Al. I get you," He finally says after a moment of silence. Al? No one really gives her nicknames. She likes the way he says it; his low voice having an attractive octave to it. She slowly turns to look at him and watches as he puts the rim of the bottle to his lips. She watches his Adam's apple bop as he swallows the liquid and it brings a small smile to her face once he grimaces from the raw taste. He notices her reaction and he smirks again, his light brown eyes lighting up.

"What's got you smiling all of a sudden?" He asks, even though he's sure he knows the answer. She looks away momentarily, the smile still occupying her lips and then looks back at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter