Now Or Never

Healing Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the big day. Every hour was dedicated to this surgery. Joy and I trained non-stop. At one point, our fingers got so sore that we couldn't move them until 2 days later. And now we were a few minutes away from doing it. To be honest, I can't believe Dr Irene let me participate in this surgery as the 2nd assistant. I just started this year! She must think that this surgery was easy but still, she puts wayyy too much faith in me. As long as I'm helping Joy in some way in this, I'm not complaining. Being the 2nd assistant isn't all that hard. All I have to do is just refill the water and clean the blood around the area that's being performed on.

We sat outside on benches, waiting for the next patient's surgery to finish in the operational theatre. This great pounding, this enormous pressure; every beat. I couldn't hear it, but I could feel it. It remains now, even as I'm doing nothing but sitting. I'm sure Joy was feeling the same. I stared at her as her fingers intertwined with each other. Her eyes were dead staring at the floor as if she committed a murder. No matter how many people walked past or how much noise was made as we waited, she never flinched. Her pupils have exploded to fill so much of her eyes that I wondered if she was conscious. I want her to blink, to sit up straight and laugh. She wouldn't. Her eyes are so still... the only body part moving was her foot. It was constantly tapping on the floor, but she never fidgeted no matter what.

She was concentrating so hard, yet she's composing herself so nicely. So badass. If I were in her position, I'd lose control and act like a crazy maniac.

We were in our scrubs and coats, representing ourselves beautifully as future professionals. We were ready to combat this. We've studied everything we could about this particular surgery. Joy told me that it was just a benign tumour that we'll be extracting with Dr Irene. With her by our side, what could possibly go wrong...? She's already told us the steps of the surgery. First, we'll need to use ultrasound to shatter it, then the tumour will be away. The impact of the ultrasound won't make a massive impact on her normal brain cells which is good. Simple right? I hope so...

The final CT and MRI reports came out, and the results showed that her heart rate, pulse and blood pressure are stable. Her blood tests showed her other organs are healthy as well. These facts will help make things go smoothly during the surgery on her brain. Knowing all of this, I have no idea why I still have this ominous feeling embedded in my stomach hinting that... something could go terribly wrong. There's no backing out Yeri. You're doing this to save this patient just like my job here is to do.

-

Then the door slid opened. We both looked up, as the patient was wheeled out on a gatch bed. I saw blotches of dried blood on her hospital gown. Not a good sight when you're about to do surgery.

Soon after, the patient that we'll be doing the surgery on came. Joy immediately stood up and went towards her. "Don't worry, Amber. You'll be fine. Just trust us. We'll be with you shortly." She ensured holding her hands. Then she was brought inside leaving us out as the automatic door closed. We were supposed to wait for Dr Irene before entering. Where was she?

I should say some words of encouragement in the meantime. I held Joy's hands, "You've got this Joy. As long as we follow Dr Irene's orders, we'll be fine." She didn't look convinced, "Thanks, Yeri, I'm sorry for dragging you into my mess." She was able to hint a smile. Seeing her in such a position made my heart drop. If only Minho was here, he was the one who pushed her into this. Ugh, but he can't because he's probably assisting in other surgeries right now. Oh Seulgi... you should rethink about falling for someone like him (no offence Minho :P).

When I turned my head back to the hallway, I showed a sign of relief. She finally came!

"Dr Irene, is everything okay?" I asked with Joy listening in. "My apologies for being late girls, I just got news that some 20 odd patients are being transported here from a bus crash nearby." She said breathing heavily. "What now? Are we cancelling this then?" Joy asked hurriedly, "Well we can't postpone this surgery for Amber any further. If we don't do it today, the tumour will prove life-threatening. Other departments will be able to take in most of the victims. Come, let's talk inside." We nodded as we followed her into the preparation room.

As we put on our theatre boots, surgical caps, masks and surgical gowns, Dr Irene continued what she was saying, "Norm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter