Dim Light

Healing Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning bird calls were made far away outside and the howling wind forced through the tight gaps of the opened windows. How long have I been here? I checked my watch without releasing my hands from Joy's. Nearly 12pm huh? My eyes shifted to Joy on her bed where she was sleeping ever since her surgery. You've done well Joy. Just hang on. You'll be better in no time...

I looked around the room and thought it was hilarious how I made a mess of this room. What did I mean by that? Well in the past few days, I've literally made this once-bland hospital room similar to the room that she has at home so she can feel more comfortable here, at least spiritually. I also hanged tinsels and multiple strings of lights since it was nearly Christmas. Joy and I will end our internship on the happiest time of the year! When Joy wakes up, she'll be so confused seeing that I've added more decorations because there was still three months until Christmas lol. Weird right? I'm just one of those people who can't help but celebrate these kinds of events early XD I'm surprised no one complained about the sudden change in the room haha.

Some of the things I moved here included the Garden Phlox flowers, some pictures of us together and even the head flower that Amber gave us as a gift. I never thought I'd be placing these items in a hospital room let alone, in her current state... I gazed at the picture on the bed table next to Joy. This picture meant the most to me in particular. It was the picture I took of her when we were walking on the quay. What made this one special was that Joy's smile was the brightest I've ever seen her on that date night. I can't believe she was able to smile like that despite knowing a tumour was inside her. I wish that she can smile like that happily again.

I've been selfish. Dr Kai wants me back working in the cardiothoracic department now that Joy's operation was over. He's right. I didn't take a hiatus to stay with Joy after the surgery. I'll make it up to him later.

Suddenly, two birds landed on the window sill. They were chirping quite loudly. I shot my eyes around the place in a panic. I held my index finger to my mouth to shoosh them, but I know that won't work. When I was about to get up and shoo them away, I stopped and compared them to us. They were happily tweeting away with each other. Why should I ruin their moment? The world is unfair sometimes. Here, Joy is just lying here with her voice dormant.

I heard some shuffling noises while my eyes remained on the birds. I turned back towards Joy. Her drowsy eyes flickered opened as she blocked the sun rays with her arms. "Joy! You're awake!" I got up from my chair and helped her sit up. I quickly grabbed a pillow and placed it behind her back for better support. The birds must have thought it was time that Joy should wake up XD 

"Oh um, hey Yeri.." She smiled while looking at me adjusting herself from the light. Her voice was weak. She placed her hands on top of mine, "So.. what did the report say?"

Well, , that's sudden, I 'd hope that we can talk about something more lighter before getting into the hard stuff...

I wanted to tell the truth, but at the same time, I didn't because I don't want to see how she'll react if I did. "It's um, an astrocytoma and it's MIB-1%." I looked down right away as I told her the most basic of the findings. 

"But it's not that vicious right? Even though it's malignant prone?" I forced a smile trying to not make it as worse as it sounded. The wind blew so hard that her red hair covered her face so I couldn't pin point what her expression was. I reached to part her hair, but I halted and placed my hand down knowing that it wasn't the right time. "We'll monitor your situation from now on and-" Joy suddenly spoke, "I know, I have to undergo treatment the coming Monday and Friday. The whole treatment will take three months?" I nodded guiltily, "I'm sorry." I don't know why I apologised. It's just I still think Joy feels inferior to everyone else here who doesn't have her swelling tumour. So maybe that's why I did to make her feel better. Ugh, that wouldn't have worked, now she'll think I'm pitying her. 

"What do you mean? I'm gonna be better by then silly." I went with it, trying not to reveal to her that she had a terminal illness. Since she's not worried, then I shouldn't be either. Therefor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter