Bambam

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bambam has to do something—anything for Lisa.

So instead of sitting in his porch—like he has been doing for the past forty-five minutes—waiting for Lisa and Yugyeom, he gathered up all the courage he can get and went inside the house to talk to Mr. Manoban.

It hasn’t been long since the storm of Lisa occurred inside but the house is much more peaceful now—at least in the living room. Bambam’s sister has locked herself up in her room, crying for the past hour because she’s too upset about Lisa’s sudden departure.

His mother is in their room with Mrs. Manoban, calming her down since she has been freaking out since Lisa ran away. Bambam thinks it’s also because she herself is upset about leaving too.

Bambam looked around the house and couldn’t find Mr. Manoban anywhere. He was ready to give when he remembered the balcony. He thought about it one more time before going up stairs.

He already opened and peeked through the door of the balcony when he stepped back because of fear as soon as he smelled Mr. Manoban’s strong scent mixed with whiskey.

“What is it, Bambam?” Mr. Manoban asked as Bambam carefully steps back.

Bambam felt all the hair in his body stood, his heart skipped a beat.

“Uh, y-yes, Sir.” Bambam immediately bit his lip as he realized that what he said doesn’t even made sense.

Mr. Manoban chuckled. “What is it, Bambam?”

Bambam took a deep breath taking a step closer to Mr. Manoban and closing the door behind him.

The deafening silence is so awkward. Bambam is fidgeting his fingers under his sweater, his palms are cold and sweating. He regretted thinking about talking to Mr. Manoban. He didn’t think this through and didn’t even know what to say to the older man.

 Mr. Manoban noticed the awkward atmosphere as he fills himself another glass of whiskey.

“Would you like some?”

Bambam shot him a look of disbelief. He’s thinking hard if he should say yes as a form of respect or if he should say yes just because he really wants to try it.

“No, thanks, Sir. I’m not legal yet.” Bambam shakes his head aggressively when he realized that he should be saying no to alcohol because he’s a minor and isn’t supposed to drink.

Mr. Manoban laughed hysterically. “Of course, Bambam. Of course.”

Awkward silence came back. Bambam is constructing sentences on his head while Mr. Manoban is patiently waiting.

“You’re here to tell me something?” Again, Mr. Manoban became impatient waiting.

Bambam took a deep breath. “Yes, Sir.”

Mr. Manoban took another sip of his whiskey while waiting for Bambam to speak. Bambam looked at him and wondered how he can be calm when his only daughter just had a major tantrum and ran away. His eyes darted to the whiskey glass in Mr. Manoban’s hand, showing the tiniest bit of tremble and Bambam knew that he’s just as worried as everyone else.

“It was about three or four years ago,” Bambam started. “You just left Vietnam and I was facetime-ing with Lisa, she was crying—sobbing even—because you left Vietnam and she’s never gonna see your neighbor again.”

Mr. Manoban took a sip from whiskey.

“Oh, it was Grandma Alice, in case you’re wondering.” Bambam added suddenly remembering that Mr. Manoban had no idea who she is when Lisa blurted out her name a while ago. “She was your neighbor in Vietnam. Old lady, a bit short and round.”

Mr. Manoban nodded his head, smiling. He find it amusing that Bambam knows exactly how she looks while he—who has lived next door with her for a couple of months—doesn’t even remember her face. On Mr. Manoban’s defense, he wasn’t even home at all times anyway.

“Lisa was scared at her at first,” Bambam continued. “She thought she’s a cranky old maid but she turns out to be warm and nice. She always gives Lisa cookies and stuff. Lisa loved her.”

Mr. Manoban took another sip of whiskey trying to mask his embarrassment, he felt ashamed not knowing these details about his daughter.

“Then you had to move and it broke Lisa’s heart. She already treated Granny Alice as her own grandmother and for a nine-year old, it felt like the world is ending. She cried the whole night through facetime saying how she wished you had a different job or just hoped you can stay at one place for a longer time.” Bambam paused suddenly conscious if he’s still being polite.

When Mr. Manoban nodded lightly, Bambam continued. “But the next day, it was like I was talking to a different person. Suddenly she was okay with. She told me it was fine because it’s your job and maybe it would be last time you had to move and you never have to leave again.”

Mr. Manoban slowly took a deep breath. He always thought that with his job, he doesn’t belong to himself but to whichever state or country he’s assigned at. But in the midst of doing the right job, he always aim to be a good provider, husband and father. It was never easy to juggle the two, Mr. Manoban always find himself in the dilemma of the two so he always opt for the compromise. He stayed with his family as long as they’ll be with them wherever he goes. Which was perfectly fine.

At first. Eventually, he gets reassigned faster than usual that they’re not even staying at one place for a year. Mr. Manoban got caught up at work so much that he didn’t even notice how hard it became for his wife and daughter.

It was only now that he realized how much moving all the time really affected his daughter. When kids at her age should be enjoying youth, Lisa is left moving from one place to another with no permanent friends. He felt extremely grateful for Bambam for being Lisa’s friend for the longest time even though it’s hard for the both of them.

Mr. Manoban felt his chest tight and aching. Something he haven’t felt for a long time. He almost forgot how heartbreak feels. He realized that a parent’s heartbreak is worse than any heartbreak he has felt before. It hurt him to realize that in the process of giving what is best for his child, he ended up hurting her too.

Then his wife crossed her mind and his heart breaks even more. He knows that she feels bad of all these things too but he was blind to realize and has never listened to her silent cries. He just wanted to be the best but he has failed miserably.

“But don’t feel bad, Mr. Manoban.” Bambam added as if he’s reading Mr. Manoban’s mind. “Lisa doesn’t hate you. She loves you so much. She’s just upset and we’re teenagers who think we can figure things on our own.” Bambam chuckled.

Mr. Manoban took one last sip from his almost empty glass of whiskey.

Bambam exhaled. It felt like he hasn’t taken a breath the whole time he was talking. He was even more surprised that he was able to say those things but is internally worried that Mr. Manoban will take it the wrong way and make things worse. He just prays to God that Mr. Manoban will actually listen.

“So, I hope you give a try, Mr. Manoban.” Bambam added just in case Mr. Manoban isn’t convinced yet. “I hope you give Lisa a chance to prove herself. To find happiness on her own.”

Mr. Manoban smiled. He was surprised that the person who let him see the things he was so busy to see is the eighteen-year-old best friend of his daughter. As much as he felt ashamed, he was also amused and proud, even. He has always wished for another child, a son and tonight, he just hoped Bambam to be his son.

“Oh, and by the way, Yugyeom is a good guy.” Bambam added making sure Mr. Manoban won’t be keeping a bad impression of his best friend. “He’s my friend and I’ll be the first one to break his bones if he hurt Lisa.” Bambam promised.

For the first time, Mr. Manoban turned to Bambam and looked at him straight in the eye. Bambam swallowed, straightening his whole body. Did I say something wrong? Bambam thought to himself.

Mr. Manoban smiled. He took the whiskey bottle and the glass in one hand and walked closer to Bambam.

Bambam was inching farther bit by bit, squinting his eyes away as Mr. Manoban’s hand comes closer to him. He felt like Mr. Manoban was about to hit him. He probably said all the wrong things and offended Mr. Manoban. He was being disrespectful and this is his consequence.

He has his eyes fully closed when Mr. Manoban’s hand landed on his shoulder. It was f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter