In The Middle

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dealing with heartbreak is never easy but no one is ever meant to be heartbroken forever. People always overestimate heartbreaks so much that they get stuck with the pain. Sure, it requires feeling the pain, ‘cause that’s always been the thing about pain, right? It demands to be felt. But that’s the beauty of it. It hurts you so much that you will want to end it, for it stop; to be over, so you will want to move on.

Now, moving on isn’t easy either. No one said that. But what most people don’t understand is that it’s a choice, it’s always a choice. You can either dwell on your heartbreak and spend all your days sulking and hurting yourself even more than you actually are or you can turn the page, take a step forward, move on. Life doesn’t end with heartbreaks. It should never end anything, even friendship—especially friendship.

That is what Bambam realized. He realized that no matter how much he likes Lisa, she will always be his best friend. No matter how much Yugyeom likes Lisa, he will always be his best friend. And in the most complicated way a life of teenager can get, that’s the only thing that matters.

Bambam was surprised how he’s coping up with the pain when he’s with Lisa and Yugyeom. A bit ironic since they’re the reason why his heart is broken in the first place. But they are also his source of strength and happiness, so at the end of the day, friendship prevails over heartbreak.

In any type of heartbreak, in that matter.

Yugyeom and Bambam are sitting in the steps of Bambam’s porch. Yugyeom has his head down in his two palms, elbows resting on his knees while Bambam is just staring blankly ahead.

They just received the results of a college entrance exam they both took—in which they both failed too. It’s the school of their dreams, which they decided to go to since their freshman year.

“Life is so unfair.” Yugyeom mumbled.

“Why is this happening to us?” Bambam uttered.

“I really had a good feeling after taking the exam, you know?” Yugyeom said, lifting his head from his palms. “I really thought I’m gonna pass.”

“I should have paid more attention to her notes.” Bambam said, mostly to his self, referring to the couple of times he mindlessly scanned through Nana’s notes.

Yugyeom looked at Bambam puzzled at whose notes he is talking about. He opened his mouth to ask but Bambam turned to him and started talking.

“But imagine if you’re the only one who failed.” Bambam uttered.

Yugyeom’s face lightened up. “Yeah. I would have been devastated if you passed and I failed.”

“Exactly.” Bambam agreed taking his hand out.

Yugyeom slapped his hand for a high five, then clasping it tight. “We’re really best friends after all.”

“Losers.”

Bambam and Yugyeom looked up and found Paul standing in front of them. He has a bag of takeout food in one hand, another hand inside his pocket. As much as the two are annoyed at Paul’s always-nice-and-proper personality, they can’t help but to aspire to be just like him rather than other college douchebags. One more reason why they opted to apply for that school—it was Paul’s school too.

“What are you doing here?” Bambam asked.

Paul answered by putting the bag of takeout in front of them.

“You’re welcome.” Paul said as he sat beside Bambam. 

Yugyeom immediately took a burger from the bag.

“It’s not the end of the world you know. You can still re-apply next month. That’s what I did.” Paul advised.

Yugyeom and Bambam turned their heads to him in surprise.

“What?” Yugyeom asked, almost spitting the burger he is eating.

“You failed too?” Bambam just took a burger out of the bag.

Paul took the burger from Bambam. “What’s so surprising about that?” he asked, a bit embarrassed.

“Hey, that’s mine!” Bambam screamed. “Who even told you we failed?”

As if on cue, Lisa appeared behind them from inside of the house. “I did.”

Yugyeom froze in the middle of chewing. “You talked to her?!” he asked Paul.

Paul looked at Bambam with a what-is-wrong-with-him look but Bambam just shrugged in reply, finally taking a bite of his own burger.

“Yes I did.” Paul said, impatiently. “Don’t worry, I’m not trying to steal your girlfriend, lover boy.”

Lisa felt her whole face burning in embarrassment. A hand went to slap Yugyeom’s shoulder.

“Ouch!” Yugyeom exclaimed. “Why are you hitting me?”

Lisa didn’t answer and instead took a burger.

Paul and Bambam just chuckled hearing the lovebirds bicker.

“Don’t stress yourselves too much. College is awful but you can do it.” Paul said.

Bambam side-eyed him. “Oh, words of wisdom from a college expert.”

“Hey, I’m trying to be a good older brother here, okay.” Paul nudged him. “But I’m serious, don't think worry about college yet. Heck, you haven’t even graduated. Enjoy you last bits of sanity.”

 

 

Graduation is happening in less than a month but what students are more excited about is the Year-End Dance. It’s an institutional event in Bambam’s school. It wasn’t much of a formal event though but it has always been fun with themes. Couples dress in couple costumes, peers dress up in packs. Everyone is taking it seriously, especially the seniors, which is probably ninety-percent of the attendees, the others are the freshmen who regretted coming. Seniors claim it as their own. No one can blame them though, it’s they’re last year; they always opt to do the most. Besides, finals and graduation has always stressed them so the dance is always something they look forward to.

This year’s theme is the Marvel Universe. When Bambam heard about it—it was announced on the first semester of the school year—he knows he has to be Spiderman. No one else but him. So he spent all his will and energy to convince everyone that he’s the only one who should be Spiderman. Thanks to his charms and a few bribes, he convinced about six people to change their character hoping that no one turns their backs on him on the night itself.

“Bambam! Bambam!” Lisa called storming straight inside of Bambam’s room without even bothering to knock. It has been her habit lately.

“What?” Bambam groaned, turning to his bedside clock. It’s Saturday, the day before the dance and all Bambam wants to do is to sleep in. “What the heck, Lisa, it’s not even nine!” He said covering himself with his blanket.

“Bambam!” Lisa ignored him, jumping straight to his bed, resting in her left arm so she’s half-sitting, half-lying down facing Bambam. “Yugyeom asked me to the dance!”

“Great. Congratulations.” Bambam said half heartedly. He means it but he already knows about it weeks ago. Honestly, who would be surprised? And he had also helped Yugyeom convince all their teachers to allow a school outsider to be part of the event that is exclusive to the school.

“Come on, wake up!” Lisa ordered, shaking Bambam eagerly. “He even bought me a costume. Look!”

“What the .” Bambam cursed and rose so he’s sitting in his bed. Lisa almost slump her face on the bed with the sudden movement. “No way.” Bambam said shaking his head when he remembered that Yugyeom will go as Mr. Fantastic. “You’re not gonna dress up as Invisible Woman!”

Lisa pursed her lips.

“We hated the Fantastic Four!”

Bambam felt betrayed. Not only did Lisa is going to dress up as their least favorite character but Yugyeom also went behind his back and bought costumes.

Lisa just smiled in guilt, shrugging her shoulders.

Bambam faked a chuckle. “I can’t believe this betrayal.”

“But look, it’s the same as the comics!” Lisa said. “Not the films.”

“Whatever.” Bambam answered, covering his head with the blanket again. His phone chimed, hinting a text message.

Bambam took it to check while Lisa is just looking at him from beside his bed.

From Nana: Hey, I emailed our paper to you. You might wanna check it before I send it to Mrs. Dublin

Lisa’s attention was caught when she saw a smile flash across Bambam’s face.

“Who’s that?” Lisa asked, suspiciously.

“Nana.” Bambam answered, not looking away from his phone as he type, the smile still on his face.

“What is it about? It’s not even nine.” Lisa asked, imitating Bambam. She doesn't even know Nana, by the way.

Bambam’s eyes are still glued on his phone as well as the smile on his face. “Lit paper.”

“Lit paper? And it’s making you smile like that this early?” Lisa teased.

To Nana: No need, I trust you anyway ;)

The smile on Bambam’s face dropped as he hit send. “I’m not smiling.”

Lisa stood from the bed and went to the door. “Fool yourself, Bam. But you can never hide anything from me.”

“Oh, really, huh?” Bambam said. No, he can definitely hide something from her. Or can he really?

“Oh,” Lisa mocked him before leaving the room. “Does she have a date for the dance?”

“I don’t kno—no, I’m not gonna ask her!”

Lisa chuckled, she’s enjoying making fun of Bambam.

“I think you should.”

“No.”

“You will.” Lisa declared as she exits the room.

Bambam thinks Lisa is crazy. He will never ask Nana for the dance.

He was definitely not smiling while reading her text.

But he was.

What’s so wrong with asking Nana, anyway? She’s smart, witty, kind—she’s actually cool and not as boring as he thought she was. She says the craziest stuff but also the most meaningful. He actually liked talking to her and he hated himself for calling her a wall.

Lisa suddenly opened the door again making Bambam jump in surprise. “Ask her!” She shouted before disappearing again.

Bambam smiled sharking his head. Lisa knows best and he’ll definitely ask Nana to the dance.

He took his phone and started typing quickly.

To Nana: Hey, you’re still living near the park, right? The second corner?

It didn’t take Nana long to reply.

From Nana: Uh, yes. Why?

To Nana: Good. Can I come over?

Bambam’s heart felt like coming out of his chest—it was beating so hard. Minutes have passed and there’s still no reply from Nana. Bambam was worried. Did he say the wrong thing? Should he just go there instead without asking? Does she already have a date? No way, he’ll know if she has. Why isn’t she replying?

Thousands of questions run in his mind that made him call Nana in an instant, not thinking thoroughly.

“What?” Nana asked as soon as she picked up. Panic was evident in her voice.

“Wow, good morning too, Nana.” Bambam teased.

“Sorry,” Nana scoffed. “Why? Why are you asking to come over?”

“I can’t?” Bambam asked.

“No. My parents are here...” Nana explained. “They might misunderstand or something. Why? Did something happen again? I thought everything’s fine now.”

Bambam could feel Nana frowning over the line. “Do you have a date for the dance?”

“W-what?” Nana asked, caught a bit off guard. “I—why’d you ask?”

“I’m guessing the answering is no?” Bambam assumed, talking as fast and sharp as he could so he would sound cool. “Can you come to the dance with me? As my date?”

Nana couldn’t answer. Bambam almost stopped breathing while waiting.

There was dead silence. Bambam is growing worried. What if Nana has a date? What if she doesn’t want to be his date?

“Nana?” Bambam mumbled.

“Why me? I’m boring.” Nana answered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter