Bambam. Yugyeom.

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I like you.”

“I like you too, Yugyeom.”

The words pierced through Bambam's chest like knives. He froze to where he is standing, just a few steps behind his two best friends. His knees grew weak, he wanted to scream, to cry, to fall, to turn back time just a little bit earlier and spend more time at the library so he won't hear this, so he won't let his best friends hurt him without knowing it.

Why does he have to walk in when they're declaring their love for each other only to hurt himself? He's sure they are waiting for him, he was certain. He appreciated it. In fact, he wanted to just throw himself to them as soon as he saw them from a far. He misses them so much. All these drama is making him miss them despite being with them all the time. But did he really have to hear this?

He felt his chest tight, like his heart sinking smaller and smaller. He hates it. Hates being in this place at this moment. He hates himself for feeling this way but it's too late. He realized he cannot stop himself anymore. He realized it's too late to save himself from this heartbreak. It hurts so much but at the same time he didn't want to interrupt them, didn't want to destroy the magical moment they're having. Because no matter how it kills him inside, he sees their smiles, their eyes beaming with joy and hope. They are his best friends, he wants to be happy for them, congratulate them, and tease them even.

But he can't. Doing so will just torment him, grind the remaining pieces of his already-broken heart. So just this once, he decided to be selfish. He left his bike and ran away without letting the two notice his presence. He sprint home, straight to his room, slamming the door. He threw himself in his bed not even bothering to change. His hand wrinkling his shirt too much from gripping his chest. The pain is driving him crazy, he needed to let it out, at least talk about it to someone. Someone who will understand him, but when the two people who understands him the most are the same people that makes him feel this way, all that's left for him is to indulge the pain.

Bambam probably heard a million knocks on his door but none of it was answered. At one point, he even heard Lisa annoyingly shouting his name but he’s having none of it. At least this once, he wanted to shut the world around him and just listen to his heart shattering into million pieces.

 

 

The next morning, Bambam planned to skip breakfast but he’s too tired to make up excuses to his Mom so instead he halfheartedly sat for breakfast and told her he was just too tired from school. He would like to call in sick for the day but that would just mean spending the day with Lisa at home and he just can’t face her right now so he just tried his best to get up from bed and get ready for school. His prayers worked and Lisa didn’t join them for breakfast. She and her mom went out again to visit someone in the city.

But he doesn’t want to deal Yugyeom either, at least not now. So instead of coming to class, he spent the whole day at the old gym, sneaking behind the guard so he won’t get caught. He spent the day throwing hoops angrily, exhausting himself hoping that it will make him feel better and bring him back in his right mind.

It . It falling in love with his best friend. Some people might find it good, falling for your best friend. Bambam, in fact, thinks it’s never too hard to fall for Lisa. She could be a little weird and quirky at times but that’s her charm. He hates it when she’s always being too nice but no one can really help it that her heart is warm for everyone. Bambam smiles at himself thinking about these. He’s such a fool to realize just now that Lisa is beautiful, so much more beautiful than what meets the eye. It’s so easy to fall for her.

Then he remembered Yugyeom. It’s really no wonder that Yugyeom fell for Lisa. It sends daggers to his heart once again. They have fought a million times in the almost four years they have known each other—they fought over which is better at basketball, who is the greatest Marvel superhero, what’s the best Khalid song—everything but they never fought over a girl. Never. Sure they had a crush on the same girls before but it became sort of a silent agreement between them to drop it when they felt the other is liking her too. But it’s different right now. Bambam know every little thing about Yugyeom and he is more than sure that he never felt like this to anyone before. But he himself is also certain that he never liked anyone before as much as he likes Lisa.

It drives Bambam nuts, sending his mind into an abyss of nothingness. Always trying to look for answers but always fail finding them.

He got lost in his thoughts that he didn’t realized it was already the afternoon. Classes are over. He is sure Yugyeom would have been looking for him the whole day and if he found out he left the house but didn’t come to class, the first place he’ll go to look for him is the exact place where he is right now. The old gym.

As soon as he realized this, he took his bag and stormed out of the gym. But it’s too late because Yugyeom met him at the gate.

“Oh. Hey.” Yugyeom greeted, shock is painted across his face. “You’re here the whole day?”

“Uh, yeah. But I’m going now.” Bambam answered, walking past Yugyeom.

“What? Wait.” Yugyeom said grabbing Bambam by the arm. “Is there anything wrong?”

“What?” Bambam denied. “Nah, bro. I’m just tired.”

Yugyeom scoffed. “Bull. What, you’re tired from spending the whole day doing nothing?”

Bambam was caught off guard at the accusation. He’s suddenly felt all the blood in his body rise to his head.

“Leave me alone.” Bambam said trying to be calm. Turning away from Yugyeom’s grip.

Yugyeom took his arm again, grip tighter this time. “No.” His voice is stern. “Tell me what’s wrong, Bambam. I asked Lisa if you’re home but she said your mom told her you went to school but I couldn’t find you any of our classes.”

Bambam felt like someone stepped on his chest upon hearing Lisa’s name escaping Yugyeom’s mouth as if it belongs to his dictionary longer that in his own.

“You didn't even talked to her last night and threw tantrums again.” Yugyeom added. “We waited for you, by the way, for four hours. Only for Lisa’s mom to call us home ‘cause apparently you’re already home for almost two hours, sulking on your bed.”

Bambam scoffed, he hated how Yugyeom accuse him as if he didn’t had the time of his life last night.

“What the is wrong, man?” Yugyeom asked, desperate. “You’ve been acting like this since...” he trailed off before continuing. “Since I told you about my feelings for Lisa.”

The steps in Bambam’s chest turn into heavy steps, running, stomping. It hurts so much that Yugyeom knows him too well.

Bambam scoffed again, making a disgust face which just brought Yugyeom to his edges.

“What the , bro?” Yugyeom said hitting Bambam in the shoulder. “Why are you so angry at me liking Lisa? You don’t want it? I can’t like her?” Yugyeom started spitting questions. “I know Lisa is important to you but you also know me and I’m not some dickhead who will play with her heart if that’s what worrying you.”

Bambam shook his head, smirking. He just can’t believe they are having this conversation when all he wanted to do is to go home and shut everyone off hoping it will shut his unwanted feelings too.

“Then tell me, Bambam!” Yugyeom said, he is furious now. He hated the way Bambam is acting and hated it so much more that he doesn’t have any idea what’s going on with him. “Don’t act some immature —tell me what the is bothering you.”

Everything is heated up right now. None of the best friends want to surrender.

"I ing like her too, Yugyeom." Bambam blurted out, words escaping his mouth faster than he could think. "And you like her and she likes you too and it's sending my brain into a ing chaos, Yugyeom. So don't tell me I'm being an immature 'cause you don't know how much I'm trying to be mature about this."

Yugyeom was astounded, his mouth left hanging open. He didn't know how to react, what to say and what to even feel about what he just heard. He'd like to believe he heard it wrong, that Bambam didn't just confess he likes Lisa too. For a second, he thought of going back to the day when he first caught feelings for Lisa, or even the first day he met her and change everything that he feels for her. But he can't afford that. Sure, it hasn't been long since he met Lisa, but he's sure of his feelings. He can't afford to lose Lisa. But he can't afford to lose Bambam either.

Bambam wanted to turn back time, if he could, he will go back a minute ago and stop himself from saying words he regret spitting right now. Heck, if he can turn back time, he will go back and stop himself for catching feelings for Lisa. But he can't do that now. It's too late to stop himself and words have been said, the damage has been done. He can see it clearly in Yugyeom's eyes, staring back at him, dark with horror. He felt his heart sank. It hurts thinking h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter