Bambam and Lisa

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Stop crying, you dummy!" Lisa said as she pat Bambam's head.

It was nearly evening, darkness is slowly enveloping the sky but Bambam and Lisa's eyes have long been dark because of crying. This is the first time in the seven years that they have known each other that they will be separated, no wonder they're having troubles saying goodbye.

Bambam can still remember the day he first met Lisa. He was in his room. As usual, his mom told him to sleep for the afternoon so he’ll grow taller—he was pretty small for a five year old, people always mistake him as three—but he hated it. No kid ever enjoy sleeping in the afternoon when all the good cartoons are shown in TV. Instead of sleeping, he’s looking out at his bedroom window, not even boredom is making him sleep. He was staring blankly at the old boring house next door when a car pulled over, followed by a big container van. He was watching as a couple got out of the car followed by a little girl. Only one thing comes his mind; a new playmate. Bambam became so excited, he started jumping around his room. He needs to talk to her. He has to talk to her before the bullies next door approach her and he lose the chance to have a new friend.

He wanted to get out of the room and talk to her that instant but his mom is outside in the living room and there’s no way he’s gonna get out without his mom noticing and spanking his . He thought of ways to get out. He thought about climbing out of the window but his room is in the second floor and he’s not up for stuff that extreme yet.

His mom is s light-sleeper so she’ll definitely notice when he sneak out and walk out of the house when he was supposed to be sleeping for over an hour now. He was turning hopeless when his eyes caught his drawing pad just above his study desk.

He tore one page and folded it like a plane the way his Dad taught him to. It wasn’t his best paper plane and he hated it but he was up against time so after convincing himself it’s good enough, he went straight to his window, opened and threw the plane to the girl’s direction, praying that the winds will be in his favor and land in it in the right place.

He must’ve prayed hard enough because the paper plane landed right in front of the girl’s feet. The girl, despite being startled, took the paper plane and looked where it came from—Bambam’s window of course. Once he saw the girl looking up, he waved enthusiastically. The girl looked at him from the paper, read it then looked back at him. She was just staring at the window for a bit too long Bambam almost thought she doesn’t know how to read yet. But just when he’s about to give up, the girl beamed with a smile, waving back at him just as enthusiastically.

Later that night, over dinner—when Bambam’s mom invited the girl’s family for dinner—Bambam learned that her name is Lisa and she’s just about the same ages as him. The two of them became instant friends playing Pokemon in Bambam's playstation. The following week, Lisa was enrolled in Bambam's school. It was probably the best day in Bambam's life—going to school with his newfound best friend. Since then, the two became inseparable. Goes to school together, goes home together.

But that night was probably the worse night in Bambam's then twelve years of life. Lisa's father is a diplomat, so it is granted that they change country of residence from time to time. It used to be easy for Lisa, she was just a toddler who never let go of her mom's hand. But that time, it was different. Lisa has friends and a home she has to leave behind. It was awful and it breaks the heart of a twelve-year-old who just wants to be young and spend summer carefree with her friends.

 

"I'm not dying!" Lisa joked, pulling away from Bambam who's wiping his nose with his shirt's sleeves. "It's just Japan. It's not that far, right, Mom?" Lisa asked turning to her Mom who is busy checking in their luggage and just answered her with a warm smile. "See? And we can always talk to each other. Internet is a thing now, you know. We won't stop being friends." Her voice cracking a bit in the end. She's fighting her tears for too long now.

Bambam knows this. He knows everything. Lisa is probably acting tough now, like she always do, but Bambam can always see through her. When she said it's okay that he rarely sees her Dad because of his job, Bambam knows that she's hurting inside, she misses her Dad all the time. So when he noticed Lisa's voice cracking, he straightened his body and held Lisa's shoulders, which took a bit of effort since Lisa is quite taller than him.

"Stop pretending, you can cry too, dummy." He whispered.

Lisa looked at him with a mix of awe and wonder before cracking up.

"Ey, you're sounding like man now!" Lisa said, ruffling Bambam's head.

"Hey, stop!" Bambam said in annoyance, he always hated when Lisa does that, it makes him shorter than he really thinks. But he saw tears escaping from Lisa's eyes, she's just bluffing.

"I'm gonna mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter