(VII)

Die Baby Bunting

....

"So...you mean to say...whenever Jiyong was around you...You'd hear that 'mama' chanting....?" Seunghyun leans forward and asks again thoughtfully.

"Yes...but he had always been around me...It started only at the engagement party..." She sighs.

"So, the problem was with your...new relationship.... you said it all started and ended in 7 days, right?" He rubs his chin.

"Hmmm..." 

 

2 years ago...6 days after the party...

 

The sounds resume whenever Jiyong goes near to HyunAe. So much that she ends up asking him to stay away. She is getting treatment by the best psychiatrist but they cannot diagnose any illness. All her reports are fine and they have tried everything. Now except for giving her sedatives, there is nothing left to do. She does not have any other issues. Just the continuous call of 'mama' in different ranges. Then she cannot hear anyone and gets splitting headaches.   

They have asked to avoid the wedding plan completely for now.

They do it and she is fine as ever. 

 

Mrs. Lee had planned to see the wedding planner to finalize the flower arrangements. But as they have postponed the wedding she has to cancel it.

When she called the planner, the person is obviously very sorry due to the news. The young woman sadly informs that there are so many beautiful flowers and decoration designs. All so unique...She could have chosen a design and booked it.

Mrs.Lee thinks for a moment. The wedding has been postponed but not cancelled. So if she finalizes one exclusively then it will be very helpful when the event will take place. 

So she agrees to meet her. As soon as she disconnects the call, she hears some sound. It is like a soft mixture of thumping and groaning. She turns around...

 

 

HyunAe is folding the clothes scattered around. Today she cannot hear the voices. She sighs happily, those 5 days were a long nightmare...and today she has not seen Jiyong. Hmmm...She frowns at the thought. She opens the cupboard to keep the clothes when her eyes fall on that thing...she chokes back a sob.

It is that blue bag...She kept yarns in it. Her due date was in winter. She wanted to make the winter clothes for  their Ri herself. She always had it with her...ALWAYS. She even had it with her on that fateful night...She shudders at the memory.

After Ri's death, Mrs. Lee wanted to get rid of all the things they bought for the baby. And they did donate. But HyunAe did let her throw out the bag. She just couldn't. It was the only token left of her and Seungri's baby. So the older lady did not insist much...

She has not touched the bag though. She just couldn't. But today she wants to...She slowly touches the bag and takes it out of the cupboard. She hugs it tightly. She opens it and sees something that is enough to haunt her forever...

The yarns are covered in blood...

Before she can react to it, a loud yell interrupts her. She quickly shoves the bag inside and runs downstairs. The servants appear as well. 

The whole sight shakes them to the core.

Mrs. Lee is shouting and is on the floor. She is rolling and gasping. And there is blood. Blood everywhere...

They quickly pick her up from the floor and she keeps on murmuring something.

"oh! He is angry! He's angry with us! With you! With me! He's back! He does not like this! he does not like this at all!!" Her babbling continues.

They somehow take her to the bedroom and HyunAe calls Dr. Lee and Jiyong urgently. She changes Mrs. Lee's blood-stained clothes and is a bit relieved to find that she is not hurt.

By that time, The men has arrived and are shocked to see the blood on the living room floor. Dr. Lee examines his wife who seems to be in a shock but physically fine. Her mumbling does not stop. The psychiatrist is called again and this time there is no explanation.

That night, her condition gets a bit better. Dr. Lee softly asks her about what has happened, what did she saw.

"I...I..." Mrs. Lee gulps and looks around in fright.

"Yes, dear. Come on...' He assures.

"I saw...I saw...Ri..." She finally answers.

4 heads snaps at her. Their eyes are about to fall off.

"What?" HyunAe chokes out.

"Yea...I was on phone with the wedding planner. I called to cancel the schedule but she said to book some flower arrangements before hand so that it wouldn't be a hussle at the actual date. So I agreed. Just as I put the phone down, I heard a soft sound like something wet and rubbery hitting on a hard surface and it is mixed with an angry growl. I turned around and saw Ri. Yes It was him!! Oh God!!! He moves towards me. I yelled and began to run when I slipped on the blood and fell. Then I could not get up..." With that her sedatives begins to work and she fall asleep.

The doctor asks them to let her rest and leaves. Dr. Lee tells them to get some sleep. He will stay with his wife.

Jiyong tells good night to all and looks at HyunAe, who seems to be engrossed in some thought. He leaves to his room.

HyunAe slowly wakes back to her room and locks the door. She does not switch on the lights. The room is flooded with the light of the moon. She would have argued with her father in law to let her stay but tonight, tonight she has other things to do... 

She is confirmed that whatever has been happening these last 6 days are not her imagination. And this morning incident is the biggest proof.

She looks around for a moment and breathes in deep. She has to do this.

"Seungri...Ri..." She calls out to her son.

"Ri...I know it's you...you've been the one who has been calling me out for 5 days. Every single second...you are the one whom your Halmoni saw...you...why did you hurt her?!Why?!" She yells out and at that very moment the electricity goes off. She looks out of the window and sees only their house's dark and  some servant is running off to check the fuse.

She turns back, "No!! I want to see you...this won't do!! I know you were the reason behind the misfitting of the ring!! Cuz I was there when it was bought. I myself gave the measurement. I know maybe all these are not enough clues but a mother's instinct can never be wrong!! I know you are here...I can feel... I can feel you around...close to me....I...I did not feel your presence before...cuz you did not want to...But now you do...since..." She gulps, "Since my engagement....Do you have any problem with my 2nd marriage?? I will not get married then! Never...But please baby please come and meet me...." She cries out and drops on the floor.

She does not know how long she has been in that state. A sound captures her attention. She raises her head to see the cupboard door open. The same one in which she had kept the bag...

The bag suddenly falls out of the space and....

HyunAe muffles her scream with her hands. She is shaking now in fear. Her limbs are glued to the floor.

It opens and something crawls out. It...it is a six months old fetus...all covered in blood, looking at her with his beady eyes...She wants to yell but she has lost her voice... 

It crawls towards her lap. The umbilical cord is still attached to it and it was slapping softly to the floor. He is purring and pouting at her...like...like a baby would if it sees and wants to be held by its mother...

Of Course!! Of course it would!! It is her son!! Seungri jr.!!! Ri!!

"Ri..." She murmurs.

"Mama...mamma..." The same voice she hears. Except this time the source is infront of her.

She hesitately puts her hand forward to touch his head, Her Ri is dead!! Then this...? It must be....

The realization freezes her. She looks at the expecting eyes of the....baby and sighs. Living or not, that is her son!! Her and Seungri's baby!! She again musters the courage and touches him. He climbs on her lap and buries his face on her stomach. 

She begins to cry...She can see and feel him?! She runs her fingers on his head. Under-developed, soft skull with veins running all over the body. How beautiful he would have been if he were alive...

"Ri...are you mad that umma is getting married? Umma does not want to!! But your halmoni and harabeoji want, cuz they are worried for me!! Please don't hurt them..." She wipes some blood from his head and kisses him.

Ri shakes his head, "Marry...okay..."

Hyunae frowns, "Marry okay?? You are okay with me getting married for the second time??"

He nods.

"Then...? Why are you doing this?! Whay are you...?" A thought comes to her...

"You don't want me to marry Jiyong...?" She asks in a quiet voice.

He nods.

"Why...?" she breathes out.

 

 

 

"Hello..." Jiyong picks up the phone in a sleepy voice.

"Jiyong..."

"HyunAe... why are you calling me? You can come to my room..." He checks the time.

"I am not at home...I am at our old highschool...Our meeting site..."

"What?! What are you doing there?" He exclaims.

"Can you come here...?"