(VI)

Die Baby Bunting

"Only you heard that chanting right? I mean you did not ask anyone about it again?" Seunghyun asks ina thoughtful  and worried voice.

HyunAe smiles sadly, "Well...I did not have to...cuz in the next 7 days, the definition of truth and lie, reality and illusion completely changed for us...for good...

 

 

2 years back, after 2 days of the engagement party...

 

HyunAe is sitting on her bed. Her back is hunched, eyes bloodshot from sleeplessness and severe headache, hair completely out of place. She looks and feels devastated.

"Please...stop..." She murmurs painfully. She cannot take this anymore.

Her parents and Jiyong looks at her mournfully. The doctor checks on her reports.

"Everything seems normal...when did you say she began to behave like this?"

Mrs. Lee sniffs, "It was two days ago...on their engagement party, She all of a sudden asked me whether I'd heard any child calling 'mama'....I thought she was being nostalgic and stressed so I dismissed it and we proceed to the event..."

"Yes! She had asked me as well if I heard anything like this and obviously none of us has..." Jiyong agrees to Mrs. Lee.

"Hmmm...Dr. Lee, I think she is feeling guilty from her new relationship and she has not yet recovered from the grief of her child's death. Because you think in this 4 years her completee life has changed...But yes she needs to move on...I am prescribing some medicines. Give them to her on time.

Also, for the time being, postpone the wedding...better if not talk about it for sometimes..." The doctor suggests.

"But..." Mrs. Lee is a bit hesitant so Dr. Lee stops her.

"You are right...We should do that..." He agrees to his old friend and collegue.

Jiyong nods slowly and peers inside the room. He sighs and his heart breaks to see her in such condition.

 

Two days...48 hours...This continuous chanting in her ears...She cannot sleep, eat or do anything....She has covered her ears tightly and cried. The pain in her head and ears..., She wants to behead herself, if possible. She can hear them talk though when she tries to divert her attention. When she heard that they were planning to postpone the wedding, the chanting becomes faint.

She begins to think for the first time in these 2 days. The chants began, she can recall, when Jiyong first came upstairs to call her for the party. It began again when he...when he is near! Everytime! It has never happened before!! He...he moved in also on the night of the party...

She shakes her head disappointedly. Doctor uncle is right. It must be her guilt and unwillingness towards the wedding...Cause it is true that she is still mourning her Ri's death...Well she will always...

She turns to see Jiyong knock and enter. With that the chanting begins again... 

"Hey. How are you feeling now?"

He softly touches her head and immediately a loud and sharp screech erupts in her ear causing her to yell back in pain and darkness falls in front of her eyes...

 

She wakes up after two more days. She is not hearing the shrill sound anymore. She feels weak and light headed but compared to her previous situation, it feels like heaven.

"Oh thank God! Darling you are awake!! How are you feeling now??" Mrs. Lee hugs her.

She has not noticed her sitting beside the bed. The older lady looks tired...

" I feel good umma..." She chokes out.

Mrs. Lee quickly makes her drink water and calls out Dr. Lee and Jiyong. They rush inside.

Just when Jiyong enters the chanting begins, this time it is not so loud and repeated. It is more like someone is calling her... like, "mama....mamaa...mam....mamma..."

"How are you feeling dear?" Dr. Lee checks her vitals.

"Fine, appa..." She answers looking at Jiyong closely.

Jiyong smiles softly, "Hey Hyun! I am glad you are fine now...."

"What had happened?" Dr. Lee asks. "Jiyong entered to check on you and you yelled and fainted..."

"I...I don't know...Ji-Jiyong camre to meet me...He touched my head and at that very moment  I heard a very sharp noise. It was a very loud 'mama' shout...and It felt like my ears will tear off and I don't remember anything else..." She explains truthfully.

"Alright...don't stress...do you still hear the voices?" Dr. Lee enquires.

"Yes...but not harsh...." She murmurs glancing at Jiyong.

" Okay dear...you please rest...I will get some food for you... Poor baby has not eaten anything for 4 days?!?" Mrs. Lee quickly runs to the kitchen.

"Appa, Jiyong you two please carry on with your works...I feel so guilty to cause so much..." HyunAe sighs.

"Oh no Love!! How could you even say that!!?" Dr. Lee shakes his head.

Jiyong rolls his eyes, "Like really Hyuny?!"

"Okay dear...both of us have taken leaves from our work and you please rest. I'll go and inform Dr. Han that you are conscious now..." Dr. Lee kisses her forehead and leaves.

"I...I should go too...You rest..." Jiyong can understand that for some unknown reasons HyunAe is uncomfortable around him.

As soon as he leaves, the calling stops. This makes her even more confused...