(III)

Die Baby Bunting

"The news was like the ray of sunlight in our dark lives. Seungri's loss could never be compensated but the news of our child brought a new rhythm in life...made me want to live, for its sake..." HyunAe sighs, wiping her tears.

A glass of water  appears infront of her. She looks up to see Seunghyun looking down at her with an understanding and sad look. "Here have some water..."

She takes it from him and sips a little. She nods a thank you toward him.

"I...I was only a month pregnant the time we got to know. Gradually days turned into months and we were trying to move back to our normal life. It seemed impossible but we still tried. Appa resumed his practice and got busy with his usual schedule and Umma concentrated on our household and us. They always made sure we were fine. Jiyong came almost everyday and helped us a lot during that time. He was always like a second son to umma and appa and the bond strengthened even more. You know what it said that one can figure out their real close people when they are in a bad situation..." she looks at him.

Seunghyun nods and hums.

"...We got to know the gender of the baby around my fifth month. The baby was a boy and we felt that Seungri was actually coming back. So I decided to name him after his father. My parents-in-law were delighted about it..." There is a distant look and a half smile on her face.

"Seungri or Seunghyun...?"

She gets back to present. "Sorry?"

"You said you wanted to name him after his father. Seungri's actual name was Lee Seunghyun so..." He repiles with a smile.

She smiles back a little, "Yes. I named our child Seungri as his father was known by it more... though I gave him a petname Ri... "

Seunghyun knows about this. His name was actually the first thing that gained Dr. Lee's attention. He also knew the story upto this except that time the name "Jiyong" was not mentioned. So it seems this time he is getting a full closure.

"It was six months into my pregnancy, I...due to my physical and mental situations not having a good time and in the evening Jiyong came..."

 

3 and 1/2 years ago

 

Jiyong strawls into the huge  graden of the Lees. He stops spotting the person he has been looking for. Oh! How heavenly she is looking! Dressed in a white maxi dress with her hair in a plaid...He can stand there and keep staring at her...His eyes fall on her bump. He sighs. It is not possible...she will either laugh on his face or end their friendship once and for all. And he cannot risk that. He quickly stretches hois lips into his usual happy grin and walks towards her.

HyunAe feels a sudden pat on the back of her head. She turns to see Jiyong standing there happily. She huffs.

"Hell-lo, Hyun Girl!! How is your afternoon??" He sits beside her.

"It is fine, thank you...What brings you here?" SHe quips.

"Well...though I do not need any reason to meet you all but today it seems you forgot that it is our high school reunion and you've to come!! Aunty already permitted. So we are going..."

She immediately said no.

"Why not?" They turn to see Mrs. Lee.

"Aunty...please make her understand!! So many old friends, memories !! She will feel good!!" Jiyong whines.

"Yes Hyun darling...you should go...It will be a change and you'll feel good after meeting your old classmates and friends...You know that Seungri loved such get togethers..." 

HyunAe sighs, "Okay..."

 

The reunion is actually fun. Lots of good and special memories...Old friends, everything is there, except...In such a great time HyunAe begins to miss Seungri more. She is having a good time but cannot divert her mind for long from his thoughts. She looks around to find Jiyong happy and mingling with old companions. She thinks to roam around the building and campus. She does not want to disturb him. He is having a good time as well...

HyunAe walks out of the auditorium and walks through the old hallway. It has been a prestigious school and was built decades back. They have renovated it grandly, more than it was when they three were students here. 

Seungri proposed to her after he had completed his studies in medical science. Till then they were only friends. She was always in love with him but did not express it. So when he proposed her, she felt she could never be more happy.

She looks around and sighs. She has reached that place. Their place, where she , Jiyong and Seungri met for the first time. There are four pillars standing tilted and may be once there were some sort of room. Now there are debris and chunks of stones and bricks scattered all over. It is situated at a far corner of the big campus, surrounded by trees. She is glad that they have not renovated this place yet.

She walks in to the stones and sits on a big chunk. Such amazing days those were...How carefree, happy they used to be...But she should not be sad. Seungri, before going away, made sure she would not be alone. He left his loving parents for her, such a nice home, millions of memories, his true love and lastly, their son. She wipes her tears and smiles slighty. She puts her hand on her bump.

"Ri, You know this is the place where I first met your appa and uncle Jiyong here for the first time. Our friendship began here and one day while sitting here alone I realized I had fallen in love with your appa...When you'll be born I'll bring you here. You know so many thinngs to share with you..." She smiles at her belly when she feels a kick from her son. He seems to be happy.

HyunAe talks to their son since the day she learned about her pregnancy. She feels that it emphasizes a strong connection between her and Ri. She can feel that the tiny human growing inside of her can understand her...

She looks around to see it was already evening. She gets up to go back. Jiyong will get worried. 

She has been taking careful steps when suddenly she trips on a rock and fall with an impact. The sharp edges of the stones puncture her mid-section. She wails in pain. Blood gushes out of her wound and she cannot move. She keeps yelling for help. There is no one who can hear her pleas. She slowly realizes she has started to bleed from her lower region as well. A cold fear runs through her body and she realizes what has happened. She keeps on yelling when finally she cannot any more. She closes her eyes and prays to die along with her Ri...