(I)

Die Baby Bunting

She fidgets in her seat. She has to tell him today...she has to tell him now!! No matter what appa and umma say, she cannot live with such a grave secret buried in her heart. He is a very nice man...He deserves to know everything. She cannot betray him like that...

She stares at the clear beauty of the pond, the greenery and soothing silence of the backyard. She takes in the fresh air of the surroundings and sighs deeply, hoping the nature is encouraging her to take the step.She pulls the bag closer towards her leg, as if trying to save it from the invisible dangers lurking around. 

When is he going to come here? What is taking him so long?

Even though she is feeling impatient with all the waiting, she is actually glad to have some time to gather her thoughts and speech...She checks the time. It is 5 p.m.

The person she is waiting for is Choi Seunghyun. The man who she'll be marrying in less than than 18 hours. She is sitting in the backyard of his house which may also become hers tomorrow. Or may be not. Depends.

Choi Seunghyun is still at his work place. He is a rich guy. Lost his parents. Orphan. Just like her... Except he knew who his parents were...

She sometimes wonder about her real parents whose names are still unknown to her...Now don't tell that to her umma and appa!! They will get sad and she never wants that!!

Now It may be considered a bad luck to meet the fiance before wedding but guess such traditions are practised for the first timers. Not for a widow and a divorced man. Though her umma is still trying to keep some rituals on...so she did not inform them that she is here to meet him. But this is the last chance!! The older lady has almost house- arrested her as she keeps on insisting to reveal everything to Seunghyun. Her appa also does not want him to know. Well...they are afraid. They are afraid cause they love her like their own daughter...

She...she likes Choi Seunghyun. He is a gentleman, simple and humble. A good human being. They have a lot in common and he has been through a lot. Just like her. He was married to his childhood sweetheart, the love of his life.  Just like her. But apparently what was true and eternal love for him was a 'puppy love' and later a scheme for that woman. Not like her...

That woman lived a life of a queen and  poor SeungHyun worked his fingers to the bone to keep her happy. He just wanted a family and love. She had an extra-marital affair and ran away with that guy. She took a huge amount of money from his account and had an abortion without telling him. The child belonged to Seunghyun. After such brutal betrayal, the man suffered from a brain at the tender age of 24 years. He almost died but was revived by her appa Dr. Lee who eventually becomes their match-maker. After the courtship of more than 6 months, they finally decided to marry. They were finally ready to move on...

But now...

"HyunAe?" Seunghyun's deep yet gentle voice brings her back to her surrounding.

She stands up. "Hi."

"Hey...You here? Not that I mind but didn't aunty asked us not to meet before the wedding..." He sounds a bit amused.

"Ummm...yes... They don't know...But...But I had something to tell you..." She blurts out.

"Okay...but we're meeting tomorrow so can't we...."

"No!! It can't wait any longer!! I should have said this in those six months...but I..." Her sudden outburst gets him off guard.  

"Okay...okay...relax. Let us get inside." Seunghyun calms her down and they enter the house. 

 

 

"So umm...do you like the interior? I don't know much of it but yesterday when aunty came to deliver your things and belongings she saw it...she praised and said that you'll like it too..." He tries to make her comfortable. She looks too much tensed. Too much...

"Yes. The decor is really nice. Very homely..." She sighs. She really did loved the two-storey house but may not be able to call it home. After this...

"Thank goodness! Shall we sit in the living room? Let me get us something to drink...coffee?" He offers with a smile.

Before HyunAe could say anything he has left to get them the beverages.

When he gets back he sees her sitting on the couch with a hunched back, face hidden in her hands and the bag she carries everywhere is at her feet.

Suddenly SeungHyun feels dishearted. Does she want to call off the wedding?! 

He sighs sadly. Another chance to some peace and contentment is gone...I had lost all my will and desire for life after that woman's deceit and the death of my unborn child. Now again...

He gets a grip on himself and prepares for the worst. He'll respect all her decisions...

"Here you go..." He sounds normal.

She looks up from her hand and he notices the dark circles under her eyes.

 

 

 

"Are you alright? Is something bothering you?" He asks after settling on the couch with respectable distance between them.

"Seunghyun...I..." She cannot understand how she will begin.

They sit in silence for sometime.

"HyunAe...You are a very nice girl. Any man will be the luckiest to have you...I respect and care for you... So if you want to call off the wedding, you are free to. No hard feelings from me..." He manages to convey his thoughts with difficulty. "I know we are not a love-match but we both were giving it a chance so if you have the slightest dilemma in you, you should immediately back off..."

HyunAe smiles sadly. One thing she forgot to add in Seunghyun's description list. His honesty.

"Thank you... I am not here to refuse..." She takes a deep breathe, "But it is YOU who may refuse after this..."

SeungHyun looks up at her in confusion. "I don't ...what has happened?"

"I...I don't know how to explain this...I should have told you earlier..." She sighs. Glancing at her bag, she begins again, "You know that I lost my son at my sixth month of pregnancy..." Tears begin to fall from her eyes.

"Yes. I know..." Who can understand her pain better than him? "One of the main reasons why we connected the first place..."

"Hmmm...There was this guy...Named Kwon Jiyong..." She gulps.

"Who?" He has not heard about him.

"Jiyong...He was my and my late husband Seungri's bestfriend..." She looks down.

"Ummm...okay..." He is still not getting it.

"After Seungri's and our baby' death I was engaged to him..." HyunAe wets her lips.

"Oh..." He does not know what to say. "So... You couldn't get married because..."

"He is dead." She states.

"Oh!! I am so sorry...I should have been careful while speaking..." He looks at her remorsefully. "But why would I refuse to marry you after listening to this? I mean I cannot understand why it was hidden..." He finds nothing repulsive about the news.

"It's...it's not about his death...it's about how he died " 

He is now even more curious and bewildered. He says nothing which encourages her to continue.

"He was murdered...by my unborn child...Ri..."  HyunAe closes her eyes and begins her story...