Caught in a lie

Look Here

After that episode with Jungkook, the two of them grew rapidly closer, agreeing on set times to go to the gym together and often ending up having breakfast together afterwards as well. Jungkook was funnier than Yenna had expected and she often felt her stomach cramping from laughing too hard. She'd also asked him not to talk about her to the other members, and Jungkook had readily agreed. He, too, was unwilling to expose himself to the amount of teasing he knew he would suffer from if they knew he'd made a new friend, and a female one at that.

They'd discovered that their taste in music was similar yet completely different, and they took it in turns to be the DJ for their joint workout sessions. Jungkook was delighted to find that Yenna was also a BigBang fan; the two spent a whole gym session just jamming to BigBang songs, singing and dancing along as they goofed around.

Jungkook had also discovered that she was a closet BTS fan - closet, because she'd never admitted to her brother that she actually followed every single post his group tweeted, watched all their vlives and even owned all their albums and songs. Jungkook had seen her phone lock screen by accident and had choked on his water when he saw it was a picture of Suga. 

"You're a fan?" he spluttered, wiping his mouth with his sleeve and staring at her in shock.

"No!" she protested, turning red and snatching her phone away from him.

"I think you are," Jungkook persisted, starting to smirk.

"No," she repeated stubbornly, refusing to look him in the eye.

"Yes," Jungkook snickered. Using his uncanny speed and superior strength, he nabbed her phone and ran away with it, easily guessing the code from the pattern he'd seen her type in countless times before. "Ha!" he yelled, triumphant, when he saw that her home screen was a picture of Jimin. "Fan, confirmed!"

"Jeon Jungkook!" Yenna screamed, trying to reclaim her phone and failing miserably. Jungkook was strong enough to hold her away with just one arm while he scrolled through her photos gleefully, noting that most of them were photos of them. Of BTS. "Give that back," Yenna snarled, face bright red, as she struggled against Jungkook's restraining arm.

"Ooh," Jungkook sniggered, seeing that there were also a lot of photos of him. "Like what you see?" He waggled his eyebrows down at her, making her roll her eyes.

"You wish," she snapped back, wincing when he started scrolling through her Spotify account as well.

"Wow," he exclaimed, impressed, as he saw that she had all of their songs saved on her phone. "A fan of J-Hope, huh?" he asked, seeing that she'd been playing J-Hope's One Verse last.

"You could say that," Yenna sighed, giving up on hiding the fact that yes, she was a fan, and not just because her brother was in the group. She actually liked all their music and was also fond of all the members as well.

"So," Jungkook teased, "did you join BigHit so you could see my handsome face? Are you, perhaps, a stalker?"

Yenna stuck her tongue out at him, crossing her arms huffily. "In your dreams," she grumbled.

"Nah," Jungkook laughed. "You don't come out in my dreams."

"Haha," deadpanned Yenna. "Hilarious. Give my phone back."

"Here," Jungkook grinned, tossing it back to her. "Who do you like best, then?" he asked, leaning back in his seat as he pushed away his empty plate. He'd shared with Yenna, as always. By then, the auntie had gotten used to their habit, preparing the meal so that it was already divided into two when she served it to them.

Yenna didn't answer. Her first answer would be J-Hope, she knew, but she didn't want to admit that she was so proud of her brother's achievements.

"Suga," she finally replied. It was the truth. Although her brother was always first on her mind when she thought about BTS, as a normal fan - Suga was her bias.

"Yoongi hyung is pretty cool," Jungkook agreed. "Next, then?"

"Jimin oppa," she replied promptly. She loved cute things - she was a er for babies, baby animals, cute girls, cute boys, cute clothes and accessories. Jimin was the epitome of cuteness, and therefore was her bias wrecker.

"Jimin?" Jungkook pouted. "Not me?"

Yenna rolled her eyes, a smile playing at the corners of despite herself.

"Yeah," she said, poker faced. Jungkook pouted again and she internally squealed at the cuteness. 

"Then, next?" Jungkook asked eagerly.

"J-Hope." She deemed it safe to mention her brother here. "And before you ask, no I'm not going to finish this list because it's stupid. You're all unique and talented. I wouldn't be a fan if I didn't love all members equally." Jungkook perked up at that.

"So you love me, too?" he asked, making derp faces at her. Yenna rolled her eyes again, holding up a hand to block his face from her view, chuckling despite herself.

"No, you meme," she laughed. She got up to pay the bill; they'd decided to take turns paying once they'd used up all her coupons.

"Aww, come on," Jungkook wheedled, not giving up.

"Why would I love a guy that wears Doraemon pajamas to bed?" she joked as they headed for the elevator. She was about to say more when she noticed that Jungkook was no longer beside her.

"Jungkook...?" she asked, turning to see him standing a few steps behind her, a confused expression on his face.

"How did you know that?" he asked, brows furrowed in confusion.

Ah, , Yenna's brain gasped. She'd spoken without thinking. Her brother had sent her a pic of Jungkook sleeping in his cute Doraemon pajamas a couple of weeks before and she'd forgotten that no normal person would know this kind of information unless they lived with him.

"Ah," she babbled, panicking, "I saw it in an interview!"

Jungkook shook his head. "Those PJs are new," he told her, "and I'm pretty sure I never spoke about them in any interview we had since then."

"Haha," Yenna laughed weakly. "Maybe you forgot."

"No," Jungkook said firmly. His eyes were hard now as he strode forward. Gulping, Yenna backed away from him, only to stop when her back met the cold stone of the wall behind her. "How did you know about those pajamas?" he asked, voice low and threatening as he caged her in with his arms on either side of her face.

Yenna swallowed hard. "I-" she started weakly, then broke off, unsure what she could possibly say to clear up this mess.

"Are you a stalker?" Jungkook growled, leaning in closer to her. "How did you know about something only the hyungs know about?"

"I'm not a stalker!" Yenna squeaked, shrinking into herself, trying to get away from Jungkook's angry form. He was so close that she could feel his breath hitting her skin.

"Alright," she yelped, giving up when Jungkook stepped even closer to her, bringing their bodies so close that she was barely 2 cms away from his well toned form. "I'll tell you! I'll tell you, but you have to promise me to keep what I'm about to say a total secret." She raised her eyes to meet Jungkook's, determination clear in her eyes.

"Okay," Jungkook agreed, stepping back.

"Promise?" Yenna asked, holding up her pinky.

"Promise," he grinned, intertwining their pinky fingers before sealing it by pressing their thumbs together. "Now, spill."

"Alright," Yenna sighed, running a hand through her hair. She glanced around, making sure that no one was within hearing distance. Just to be safe, she grabbed Jungkook's wrist and dragged him to the elevators, punching the button for the 4th floor. This was where all the conference rooms and empty meeting rooms were. Still trailing Jungkook behind her, she poked her head into one of the smaller meeting rooms, sighing in relief when it was empty.

She tugged Jungkook into the room, finally letting him go and turning the lights on. Jungkook slid into a chair, kicking his feet up onto the table as he twiddled his thumbs.

"I'm waiting," he grinned. Yenna grimaced, taking in a deep breath before perching herself on the rectangular tabletop.

"I was adopted by my family when I was three," she started and Jungkook's smile slid off his face, replaced by surprise and concern. "It's alright, I don't even remember my real parents. And my new family was really good to me, treating me no different from their daughter and son." Yenna in another bracing breath before continuing. "My name is Yenna Kim, but my family's name is Jung."

She paused here, glancing at Jungkook, but judging from his slightly confused face he still didn't know what she was trying to get at.

"I have an older sister and an older brother," she told him, and could tell from the sudden change in Jungkook's expression that he was slowly starting to catch on. "Jung Jiwoo. And... Jung Hoseok."

Jungkook's mouth dropped open and he sat up, his feet falling off the table with a dull clunk. "You're Hobi hyung's sister?" he gasped, eyes wide and staring. The 'Jungshook' face, she noted wryly.

"Yeah," she said. "He was the one that told me about your pajamas."

"But.. But Hobi hyung never said he had a younger sister," Jungkook stammered.

"Yeah," Yenna shrugged. "I asked him not to tell anyone, way back when he first moved to Seoul. I guess he kept that promise really well, if even you didn't know about my existence."

"He kept it a secret even from us?" he asked indignantly. He felt more than a little betrayed by that.

"Don't blame him," Yenna sighed. "He promised, and he never breaks his promises."

"True," Jungkook allowed, mulling over the new information again in his head.

"Ah," he exclaimed suddenly, thumping a clenched fist on his palm. "Are you the one he's always secretly calling and skyping in his room?"

"Yeah," Yenna laughed.

"But-" he sat up straighter, looking confused. "Hobi hyung doesn't know you're here, does he?" Yenna shook her head. "Why didn't you tell him?" he asked.

She sighed.

"You know how the other judges didn't really approve of me?" she asked, pulling one leg up and hugging it, resting her chin on her knee. Jungkook nodded slowly. "The other employees aren't exactly thrilled that I'm here, either," she explained. "I'm too young, and like the judge said, you guys have too many crazy fans that would stop at nothing to get closer to you. They don't suspect me, not exactly, they just think that it would be better if I wasn't there, just to be safe. A lot of them also feel offended, having to work beside a kid that's barely a legal adult."

She let out a tired breath. "I don't blame them, I would probably think the same if I was in their shoes. And that's why I haven't told my brother that I work here, yet. If he knew, he would definitely come visit me in the office, drag me out to eat, and so on. That would make the other employees think, "See, we were right, she's only here to chase after BTS"."

Jungkook frowned. "But he's your brother!" he protested.

"If they knew he was my brother, that would be even worse, because then they'd think I'd used my connection to him to get this job."

"That's ridiculous," Jungkook scoffed.

"That's the truth," Yenna told him. "People don't like me, because they don't think I deserve to be here. That's why I need to prove to them that I do deserve to be here, that I haven't cheated or lied or joined the company just to get closer to you guys. That's why I'm always working so hard, staying at the company until it's late, sometimes even sleeping on the couch in the lounge because I don't want to risk going out alone when it's so late."

Jungkook laid a comforting hand on her leg, and she smiled at him in thanks. "I want them to acknowledge me, to understand that I'm here because I've got the skills for it, because I worked hard to get this far and not because I'm someone's relative."

"Wow," Jungkook said softly. "That's... really amazing."

"Thanks," she smiled. "I'm slowly getting there, I think. Some of my coworkers are already treating me different, ever since they've noticed that I'm always working. Plus, all of my projects so far have gotten good feedback, thankfully, so that's another reason, in my opinion."

"They shouldn't have judged you by your age," Jungkook stated. "It's stupid and close minded."

"It's normal," Yenna shrugged. "I don't blame them, even though it did hurt a little. Bang PD nim was the only one that's treated me the same from the very beginning."

"He's amazing, too," Jungkook laughed. "Hitman Bang is the best, yo." They both giggled at his impression of Bang PD's rapping.

"When I finally get acknowledged by everyone I work with," Yenna said, leaning back to stare at the ceiling, "I'm gonna tell my brother that I'm working here. It'll be good to finally see him again after so long."

Jungkook bit his lip, thinking silently. "I'll send you some candid shots of him," he offered, smirking. Yenna laughed.

"Thanks," she giggled. They both subsided into a thoughtful silence, thoughts far away.

Jungkook thought about how strong Yenna was, despite being the same age as him. He'd never known anything other than being a trainee and later, an idol. It had been hard, but he'd had his hyungs to support him through it all. He thought about how Yenna was all alone yet managed to do so much more than him, refusing to take the easy way out even though she easily could have. He thought about how she took the chance she'd been given, learning all the languages she could whenever she moved to a new country. She could have just gone to an international school and studied in English, the language she felt most comfortable with, but chose to attend local schools instead. He thought about how people judged her for her age, not knowing how hard she worked, how smart and determined she was. He admired her resilience and strength.

Yenna thought about how people tended to judge others too easily, based on their looks, age, or race. She knew she was no exception, even though she wished she could proudly claim to treat everyone exactly the same. It was an unconscious thing, like the way she would unconsciously treat someone in a clean, expensive suit differently from how she would treat a homeless man begging on the streets. She thought about how people said horrible things about Jungkook, knowing nothing about how hard he worked, how he basically starved himself to get thinner, to look better, to get a more defined jawline. She thought about how hard he and the others worked, how they spent almost the whole day dancing to the same tunes, over and over again, so that they could be perfectly synchronized, until they could probably dance the whole routine in their sleep. She admired their determination and dedication.

The sun rose on the streets of Seoul, the beams sparkling on the cold and icy pavement. The city was slowly thawing under the sun, color seeping back into the frozen grass of the parks and snow melting off the treetops. Spring was near.