Meeting Jungkook

Look Here

Being the youngest by far in a company full of smart, creative and hard working people was a nightmare.

She had to work harder and longer than anyone else, not because the company forced her to, but because she wanted to show them that she deserved to be there. Nobody but Bang PD knew about her brother. She'd asked him to keep it a secret from Hoseok, as well, at least until she reached her goal, which was getting acknowledged by her coworkers that she had gotten into the company by pure hard work and talent, and not just because she was Hoseok's sister or because she asked for a favor. That was why she was determined to prove herself, until the day she could announce that J-Hope of BTS was her brother without being considered a liar and a cheat for it.

She was very similar to her brother in that aspect, Yenna thought as she pushed back her chair, groaning at the pain in her back. They were both hard workers; when they fixed a goal for themselves, they didn't stop until they reached it. They were perfectionists, refusing to rest until they got the desired result.

The empty, darkened office room was proof of that fact, as was the clock hanging on the wall that read 11 PM. She'd arrived at the company at 4 that day, after attending her lectures and studying at the library. Since then, she'd hardly stopped to take a breather, preferring to work through the afternoon. Standing, she stretched her tired muscles, closing her exhausted eyes.

"This won't do," she grumbled to herself. The amount of time she spent sitting at a desk these days was over the top, and she was starting to feel it in her cramped shoulders and sore neck. Making up her mind, she reached out and shut down her computer, grabbing her phone, headphones and keys before walking out of the deserted office.

One thing she loved about her job was the gym. There was a gym on the 8th floor, reserved for the staff members and trainees of BigHit Entertainment. She'd paid for her membership card as soon as she'd learned about its existence, reserving her own locker in the changing rooms. She kept her sports clothing there, folded neatly in small piles.

Yenna loved working out: running, swimming, cycling, dancing, martial arts, just sports in general. She'd learned to box for around 6 months back in Europe, and had signed up for lessons in dances such as rock 'n' roll dance, waltz and discofox as soon as she'd entered University.

Now, in Korea, the gym was where she escaped to when work became too much, when she felt like her back would break from sitting too long in one position. It was open 24 hours to anyone with a membership card, which was perfect because she preferred to work out at night, when no one was around. Being alone meant she could sing as loud as she wanted while on the running machine, dance crazy little dance routines to 80s classics and just goof around while working out, without having to worry about being seen. She loved it.

Humming lightly, she changed into her favorite grey sweatpants and tight pastel pink sports top, tying her hair back into a ponytail. Stepping out of her boots and into comfortable running shoes, she stretched lithely before locking her things up and entering the gym. Too concentrated on choosing a track to work out to, she didn't notice that she had company until she literally walked straight into a guy doing bicep curls.

"Sorry!" she squeaked, grabbing the guy's arm to steady herself. Gulping, she glanced up and felt her heart almost stop. Holy . It was Jungkook! Jungkook from BTS, the Jungkook that had her younger girl friends gushing like idiots, that her brother was always recounting funny stories about. "Sorry!" she gasped again, letting go as if her hand was burned.

Jungkook just nodded silently before turning away and going back to doing bicep curls as if she wasn't there. Ah. So the rumors about him being awkward and shy around girls were true, she mused as she did her usual warm up moves.

Starting the running machine, she started walking at a steady pace, listening to SHINee as she sneaked glances at Jungkook out of the corner of her eye. He seemed to be pointedly ignoring her presence, not once glancing in her direction. Well, that helped. The determined way he was ignoring her meant that she could do whatever she wanted and he wouldn't have a clue. Just as she liked it. Grinning, she sped up, jogging lightly as she switched her playlist to musical songs.

"There, right there!" she sang silently as she jogged, grinning as her favorite Legally Blonde song came on. "Is he gay~ or European!" she mouthed along, pretending to be a musical actor on stage. Engrossed with her act, she didn't notice Jungkook eyeing her reflection with interest as he did squats and lower body excercises, grinning to himself at her expressive hand movements and grimaces and even snorting in amusement when she almost tripped over her own feet, too concentrated on re-enacting a scene from Billy Elliot.

"Oh", she mumbled when she stepped off the machine after 15 minutes, surprised to see Jungkook still there. He had moved on to his shoulders and abs, lifting weights as he laid on his back. Yenna quickly grabbed her own pair of dumbbells and started an upper body workout, suppressing a relieved groan at the way her clenched, sore shoulder muscles started to relax. 

"Hey," she decided to strike up a conversation, not the type to just stay in awkward silence. "My name is Yenna. It's nice to meet you."

Jungkook startled a little, eyes shooting up to meet hers like he was surprised she was talking to him before blushing slightly and turning his face away.

"Jungkook," he said gruffly. Then, as if he couldn't help himself, "do you work here?"

"Yep," Yenna replied cheerfully, popping the final p.

"Oh," Jungkook mumbled. "You look pretty young for a staff member."

"That's 'cause I am," she laughed. "I'm the same age as you, actually."

That made Jungkook sit up in surprise, putting away his weights and staring at her in shock. "Wait, really?" he asked, eyes wide.

"Yeah," giggled Yenna, amused at his reaction. "97ers, high five!" She reached out a hand for him to slap, which he did hesitantly.

"B- but..." Jungkook stammered, a little frown creasing his brow. "How?"

Yenna blew a strand of hair out of her face as she considered the question.

"Well," she began, "it's true that BigHit doesn't usually take in younger staff." She rolled her eyes. "Something about too many fans trying to get in just to be able to talk to you guys." Jungkook grimaced at that. "When I sent in my application because I heard they were recruiting people, I made it a point not to mention my age or my , even though 'Yenna' is a pretty feminine name. Still, I passed the first test and they called me in for an interview."

 

There were five people in total, sitting in a row facing the four judges. Yenna recognized the man in the middle: Bang Shihyuk, the man who'd created and basically raised BTS. She was the only person in the room who looked even remotely close to 20. The others were all middle aged.

The men took turns questioning each candidate for the post. Yenna was last and she watched in fascination as they shot questions and surprise problems at them, checking if all they wrote in their resumes were true.

The man that went first messed up, too nervous to properly present and defend himself. The middle aged businesswoman that was next did much better, but it was clear the judges were less than impressed with her resume. The next two were men in their early 30s, nervous and eager to prove themselves. One stumbled on a trick question, however, revealing that he had falsified a part of his resume. Finally, it was Yenna's turn.

The men turned to scrutinize her, raising their eyebrows and re-reading her resume.

"Miss Kim?" a man asked, scratching his nose. Yenna nodded.

"It doesn't say how old you are here?" he asked, flipping through the document. "If we'd known you were this young, we wouldn't have called you in. We need professionals, Miss Kim, not students looking for a part time job."

"That's exactly why I didn't write my age," Yenna said sweetly, completely unfazed. "I knew that if I said I was 21 years old, you wouldn't even consider me, no matter how competent I was."

The businesswoman coughed slightly in surprise, a note of amusement hidden under the sound.

"Hmm," the man frowned, displeased at the way she refused to be cowed.

"It says here that you are fluent in 6 languages?" Bang PD asked, leaning forward. The other candidates started slightly at the unexpected information, turning their heads to stare at the young woman.

"Yes," Yenna replied calmly. "I speak English and Korean best, but I am also perfectly fluent in French and German. My Spanish is not perfect, but I am fluent enough for most activities. It's just the occasional professional terms I have a problem with. It's the same for Japanese."

Bang PD raised a brow, impressed.

"And can you prove it?" another man interrupted, narrowing his eyes and leaning forward. "For all we know, you could just be saying that."

Yenna huffed slightly, slowly beginning to be annoyed by their condescending tones. "I've included all my language certificates in the file," she said, taking in a deep breath to calm herself. "You've got the proof that I'm not making anything up right there in your hands."

The man flipped through the file again, frowning at the documents.

"That's a very impressive resume, Miss Kim," Bang PD said. He was the only one who spoke to her as he had spoken to the others, and Yenna felt a surge of appreciation for the plump man.

"Still," one of the others argued, turning to Bang PD, "she's a girl." Yenna stared, not believing her ears. Was he really saying she couldn't be considered because she was female? The businesswoman was also frowning at him and he seemed to realize that what he said could be considered ist.

"I mean," he backtracked, "she's too young. You know why it's impossible."

"She's got the skills, though," Bang PD said slowly, going through her resume again. "And this is her major, look! Media and communications science. And a minor in translation, which is exactly what we need."

"PD-nim!" the man hissed. Yenna frowned.

"Excuse me," she interrupted, and all four men looked up at her. "Why exactly is my age and a problem, may I ask? As long as I've got the skills and determination to do the work you need, I really don't get why that would be a problem."

The judges exchanged uncomfortable looks.

"You see, Missy," the first man started, making Yenna bristle at his condescending tone. "We don't take in young girls like you. There's too much at risk. It's basically the same reason why we have no more female trainees. Too many girls come to us, pretending to be interested in the job, only to end up revealing that they're here to be closer to BTS. Do you see why we can't hire you, now?"

Yenna frowned. "But I'm not-"

"You say you're not," he cut her off. "Everyone does, though. How do we know you're not lying? We just can't risk hiring a Sasaeng or someone that will neglect their job and chase after the boys instead."

Yenna gaped at him, out of words. The man sat back as if satisfied with his explanation and looked over the other four files again. "Therefore," he said, "I think that the person best suited for the job will-"

"Excuse me," Yenna interrupted again, making him scowl.

"Yes?" another man asked, sounding irritated.

"So you're saying that you can't hire me because I might be a crazy fangirl. Then, if I was still the same age, but male, would you take me in then?" Yenna spoke fiercely, eyes blazing as she stared straight at the four judges.

"Well," one of them considered, "I guess we would, just because of your impressive resume. Normally we wouldn't hire someone so young, though."

"Okay, then," Yenna repeated, back ramrod straight and voice ringing clearly through the room. "So, you think girls like me would just try to get into BTS' pants instead of working." The other candidates gaped at her, shocked by the way she dared talk back to her elders. "Then, please imagine that I'm a boy, for a second."

The man rolled his eyes. "And your point is?" he drawled, looking completely done with her.

"What if I were gay?" Yenna shot back and the judge choked on his own spit, turning bright red as he doubled up, spluttering for breath.

"Oh, burn!" one of the younger men sitting beside Yenna whispered, a tiny smile playing on his lips as he turned to wink discreetly at her. She smiled tightly back.

The other judges looked as scandalized as the choking man did, staring disapprovingly at her. Only Bang PD was looking positively delighted. He looked like Christmas had come early, laughing boisterously as he thumped the choking judge on the back.

"Well, Miss Kim," he chortled, "I think you've made your point quite clear. Welcome to BigHit Entertainment!"

The other three men turned to him in shock, protesting loudly, but he waved them away, leaning forward to lean his hands on the desk.

"I hope you won't disappoint my choice, Miss Kim," he told her seriously and she beamed back at him.

"Oh, I won't," she grinned. "You can be sure of that!

 

Jungkook gaped at her, half horrified at her daring, half amused because he knew she was right. She started laughing as she continued. "So yeah, that's pretty much how I got the job." She shrugged, grinning at Jungkook's admiring stare.

"Wow," he said finally, impressed. Yenna grinned at him and finally got a small smile back.

"I bet that guy hates me now," she chortled. Jungkook laughed with her, as they both imagined the man's sour face.

"Definitely," he chortled.


 Yenna saw Jungkook a couple of times more after that, always in the gym. They found they both tended to work out either late at night, or early in the morning, just before breakfast. This meant they ran into each other a lot, and that they were always the only ones in the otherwise empty gym hall. They didn't talk that much after that first day, just greeting each other and doing their own thing in companionable silence, each listening to their own music. Jungkook was still very awkward and silent, and seemed to appreciate her leaving him alone.

However, as the days passed by, Yenna noticed that Jungkook seemed a lot more tired these days, not working out for as long as he used to and getting exhausted more easily than before. He also stopped smiling at her when they greeted each other, giving her a simple nod to acknowledge her presence. It worried her.

One morning, she decided to speak up after seeing Jungkook stumble on the running machine.

"Jungkook," she called firmly, and got a fleeting glance in reply. "Are you alright?"

Jungkook showed no sign of responding, so she pushed on. "You seem really tired these days. Maybe you should rest more." A grunt was all she got. This was starting to annoy her a little. "Come on Jungkook," she growled, "stop pushing yourself."

"Look," she continued after a short pause. "Here are a couple of coupons for one of the restaurants down in the basement. I'll give them to you, so go get a good meal and get some sleep. Seriously, you look like you need it."

Jungkook finally stopped the machine, panting hard before turning to glare at her. "Mind your own business," he spat, taking her aback by his ferocity. She frowned. He usually never snapped back like this, no matter how tired he was. Something was wrong.

It was the way he glared at the coupons in her hand as he pushed past her that clued her in. His glare had been full of anger and longing, a clear indicator of what the problem was.

"Ah, I see," she said softly. "You're on a diet, aren't you?"

Jungkook stopped in the middle of wiping his sweat on the towel hung around his neck and turned to shoot a withering look at her. "It's none of your business," he grumbled, attempting to push past her again.

Unimpressed, Yenna planted herself in his way, arms crossed and a scowl on her face. "Yes it is my business; are you starving yourself?"

Jungkook growled and tried to shove her away with his shoulders. "Just leave me alone," he snarled finally, snapping. "Who cares if I'm starving myself or not? It's none of your business!"

"Oh yes it is my business if one of my friends are trying to kill themselves by not eating!" Yenna shouted back.

"Friends," Jungkook scoffed, crossing his own arms and glowering down at her. "Who says we're friends?"

"Excuse me," Yenna huffed, "You and I know each others names, see each other several times a week and are the same age. What do you think. Of course we're friends, what, do you want me to call you oppa? Or maybe you want to call me noona, instead?"

"What is wrong with you." Jungkook threw his hands up in the air, exasperated. "Fine! I'm on a diet. I need to lose weight for our comeback later on. Happy?"

"So you're starving yourself?"

"I'm not- I eat! Just not all the time," Jungkook fumbled with his words, voice taking on a defensive tone.

"Uh huh. How often is 'not all the time'?" Yenna tapped a foot on the floor irritably as she waited for his reply.

"Once a day, sometimes once every two days," Jungkook finally relented, voice falling quieter.

"And is this a proper meal we're talking about?"

"No. Just some chicken s and salad, and maybe some fruit," Jungkook grumbled.

Yenna sighed.

"Look," she said, sitting down on the bench and patting the seat next to her. Jungkook slowly sat himself down. "I know what it's like to eat just once a day, once every two days, alright? Okay, fine, in my case it was less of a diet than just not having enough money or time for eating. Still, the result is the same. And I'm telling you, if you keep doing that, you're going to ruin your body. You work out a lot, and I'm betting you also spend a lot of time dancing. With no food inside you, all that activity is going to pull the energy you need straight from your muscles. Do you want to lose all your muscles? You wouldn't be able to dance if you did. Plus, your skin and complexion will start getting all splotchy and ugly, and you really don't want that, do you?"

Jungkook shook his head silently. "Then take my advice and change your diet. All those diet drinks and the weird powders you put in them? Yeah, just ditch those and have 3 meals a day instead. No, hear me out," she said, holding out a hand to silence Jungkook's protests.

"Have 3 meals a day, but make those meals count. Eat less, don't eat a full plate. Maybe... hmm, maybe just a half plate? Or a third? Anyways, the point is, eat 3 times a day, small, healthy meals that will give you the energy to keep going without losing your muscles. No unhealthy snacks, no fast food, no soda, no sweet stuff. And don't just stick to chicken s and salad all the time, either. Our cafeteria has some really good healthy food and none of it is bad for you. Use it. You need balanced meals, not just the same thing every day. Be smart. Eat fats, fiber, carbs, protein, and lots and lots of water. Eat a good breakfast, less at lunch, and even less at supper. Do you get what I mean?"

Jungkook nodded slowly. "Good," Yenna smiled. "Trust me, you need to eat in order to lose weight. If you start starving yourself, your body will panic, making it absorb everything you put into it. That's why starving people get bloated when all they had to eat or drink was water. Eating small amounts regularly will calm your body, letting it function normally. That way, you'll see the results of all your working out. Got it?"

Jungkook nodded. "Good!" Yenna chirped, bouncing up and holding out a hand to pull Jungkook up as well. "Now, if you're done sulking, let's go spend those coupons I showed you. We can order just one menu and share it, that should make it better, right?"

Hesitantly, Jungkook reached out and took her hand, allowing her to pull him up. Smiling brightly, Yenna led him out of the gym and over to the changing rooms. "Go change," she told him. "Wait for me here, ok? Don't you dare run away!" Jungkook grinned and nodded. Satisfied, Yenna hurried to change her clothes, keeping her ponytail since she didn't have the time to shower. When she came back out, Jungkook was waiting, as promised. They headed down to the basement together.

Since it was only 6 in the morning, the company was silent, practically empty of people. The restaurants in the basement were all dark and closed, except for the one small traditional Korean diner in the corner. That was the one Yenna led Jungkook to, greeting the middle aged lady at the counter brightly.

"Hello, auntie!" she called as she sat down.

"Yenna," the lady greeted fondly, ruffling Yenna's hair. "And who's this?" she asked, peering at Jungkook.

"This is Jungkook, auntie," Yenna introduced. Jungkook stood and bowed politely, and the lady laughed and patted his head, telling him to sit back down. "How cute," she cooed at them, making Jungkook flash a bunny toothed smile at her.

"We'll be sharing a menu today," Yenna told her, making her tut in disapproval.

"You're growing kids," she scolded. "You should eat more." Jungkook ducked his head guiltily but still declined her offer of more food.

They ended up getting a simple Soybean Paste Soup menu, dividing it between the two and chattering on as they ate. Jungkook seemed to have finally opened his heart to her, acknowledging her as a friend. The change was unbelievable. The painfully shy, silent Jungkook was gone. In his place now sat a cocky, mischievous little goofball that spoke in Satoori when he got excited and who was stubborn as a mule.

Somehow, they ended up arguing about Disney films, bickering about which film was better than which. Frozen was better than Tangled, Jungkook argued. It had a talking snowman, for heaven's sake! Yenna remained a staunch supporter of Tangled. It was a masterpiece, she argued. The visuals and the music, everything was golden. Frozen was good, too, but it had too many disappointing moments and the ending was anticlimactic. Frozen had better characters, though, Jungkook countered. Olaf and Anna, Kristoff and Elsa were much more interesting than Flynn Rider or Rapunzel. Besides, Frozen had Let It Go!

Reluctantly, Yenna acknowledged that Frozen had some amazing songs. Her favorite was Love Is An Open Door, while Jungkook's was In Summer. They ended up calling a truce, agreeing that both movies were masterpieces.

They talked all through their meal and all the way back up to Yenna's office. She shooed him away before any of her coworkers could arrive, though. The last thing she needed was a rumor that claimed she was chasing after Jungkook, after all.

 

Author's Note: Sorry to all you Frozen fans! I do love the movie, it's just I love Tangled more.. don't hate me :(
 
Also, I love Legally Blonde, and my favorite song is "There, right there!" which is also known as "Gay or European". Please, go check it out if you haven't heard it yet! XD

LINK TO 'THERE, RIGHT THERE' :)

 

Hi guys! I decided to give you another chapter, although I was originally planning on updating just once a week. This chapter is really important, since it shows Jungkook and Yenna's first meeting!
Also, I hope the way I portrayed some of the Big Hit Staff doesn't offend you. I'm sure none of them are s in real life, but I think that the problem of fans posing to be interested in the job just to get close to idols is a really big, present issue in the K-pop industry right now, even though no one actually talks about it out loud.
I really did have a period where I survived on the occasional baked goods and coffee for 2-3 days before finally having a proper meal, and it was a horrible experience. I lost all my muscles and had trouble even walking to school, so now I feel really bad whenever I hear about idols dieting and starving themselves to get thinner just before their comebacks.
Another thing is, I hope none of you were offended by the tiny homophobic elements and the occasional things about Yenna's adoption. I'm not adopted, myself, so I really can't do justice to the emotional burden of the people who actually go through this, but I tried my best.
Thanks for reading and please leave your thoughts in the comments!! :)