Return to Korea

Look Here

Hi guys! Here's the first chapter for you :) I've already got a lot of chapters written out, so I'll probably be updating around once a week until they run out! hahaha after that they'll probably be a lot less regular.... but oh well XD

I've tried my best to stick to BTS' real timeline, except that everything is pushed one year back. So, the start of this fic is in January, 2017, except that everything is like it was back in January 2016. Yenna and Jungkook are 21 in Korean age, which is basically 19 anywhere else.
Also, I know BigHit didn't own a building before, but I've invented them one for the sake of the story. Otherwise, I've tried my best to stick to reality! ^^
I hope you like it, and please leave comments if you have any thoughts or opinions you want to share about the story or the characters! <3

 

 

Adopted. That was the word that 13 year old Kim Yenna had hated the most.

She hated her name: Kim Yenna. Why was she a Kim when all her family were Jungs? Every time that question was asked, she would feel a familiar ache in her heart and her defensive walls would immediately slam up.

Teenage Yenna threw a fit whenever someone learned about her past, and so when she heard her brother was going to Seoul to pursue a career in music, the first thing she told him was, "Don't tell them about me".

It was a foolish, childish request, but one that she needed to make. She didn't want her brother's new friends learning that he had an adopted sister. The thought of unknown faces judging her because of her background plagued her in her dreams.

"You don't need to lie, not technically!" she begged her exasperated brother over the phone. "Just don't tell them you have a little sister. You can tell them about Jiwoo unni! It's not lying if you say you have an older sister, not really. It's not like you're saying you don't have a younger sister, it's just that you're leaving that detail out."

Finally, after hours of wheedling and begging, Hoseok agreed not to tell his new friends and fellow trainees about her. True to his word, he kept his promise so well that even until his debut, no one but Bang PD-nim knew about Yenna's existence.

He was obliged to tell Namjoon, aka Rap Monster, the future leader of their group and one of his best friends, about her once their debut was confirmed, but Namjoon took the news in stride and didn't pry deeper. Suga, or Yoongi, his other best friend and lead rapper, found out a few months into their debut when he caught Hoseok talking to her on Skype and mistook him for having a younger girlfriend. Hoseok panicked and told him the truth when he was confronted by an indignant Yoongi.

And so, even now, more than 3 years after their debut, her existence was a secret, even to the other members of Bangtan. She'd grown out of her childish insecurity by then, of course, but she still didn't like having to explain her name to new acquaintances.

"Yenna!" her brother's voice echoed from her phone, tinny and with a slight delay compared to his smiling face on the screen. "Hey, kiddo, how have you been?"

She smiled and leaned back, waving at the small screen. "I'm great, what about you, oppa?"

The Hoseok on screen pouted. "Busy as always," he sighed. "Still, I feel much better now that I'm seeing your face after so long!"

Yenna rolled her eyes at his cheesiness. She loved her brother, but she hated it when he tried aegyo on her. Heck, she hated it even more when he did it on national television! She couldn't help her cringeing and desire to puke whenever she saw her brother acting disgustingly cute on TV. "Please, don't," she groaned, and Hoseok laughed, knowing her disgust for his 'cuteness'.

"How's dad?" Hoseok asked in a more serious tone, and Yenna shrugged. "He's fine," she replied. "He's a total workaholic, but then what's new? How're mum and unni?"

Yenna didn't live in Korea with the rest of her family. No, she'd lived abroad ever since 3rd grade, following her adoptive father as he travelled the world for his work. Hoseok and their older sister had stayed behind in Korea with their mother, seeing Yenna only during winter break and the summer holidays.

When Yenna was 3, she and her real parents had gotten into a car crash. She couldn't remember them, not really, which sometimes saddened her a little.

Hoseok's father had been passing by when the accident took place, and he'd joined the horrified crowd surrounding the wreckage of the two vehicles. He'd noticed the wailing of a child coming from one of the cars and when no one had been willing to act, he'd climbed into the dangerous pile of metal to rescue the bawling infant from the back of the vehicle. Yenna had been relatively unharmed, with only a few light cuts and a broken arm, but her parents had already been proclaimed dead by the time they reached the ER. Traumatised, in pain and confused, the baby girl had clung to her saviour like glue, refusing to let go. Mr. Jung had been forced to follow her to the hospital, where he learned that this little toddler was now an orphan. Unable to just heartlessly leave her to be sent to an orphanage, he'd ended up calling his wife, telling her of the situation and asking her if they could afford one more mouth. In the end, Mrs. Jung had agreed after instantly falling in love with the sleeping toddler in her husband's arms, and thus Yenna was incorporated into the Jung family.

Although her new mother was as caring and loving as a mother could be, Yenna never grew out of her preference for her new father, crying whenever he was out of sight and clinging to him like a little koala. The problem was, Mr. Jung was a man that travelled a lot, due to his work. And his trips didn't last a few weeks or even a few months. No, his absences would typically last at least a few years. Once they adopted Yenna, he stayed at home for a while, unwilling to leave his wife alone with three young children to take care of.

When Yenna reached 7 years old, he deemed it safe to go on a business trip for the first time in years. Still, he kept it short, just 2 months long. However, Yenna bawled through those 2 months, crying for her daddy even as her mummy tried to comfort her. She loved her mum, yes, but it was always her dad that she looked for when she was most in need of a parent's loving kiss.

Finally, the family reached a decision: they would let Mr. Jung take Yenna with him. When Yenna reached 3rd grade, Mr. Jung left Korea for a business trip to England and this time, he took her along. 

"Mum is fine," Hoseok told her, his voice crackling with the bad connection. "She misses you. We all miss you. When are you coming to visit?"

"I don't know," Yenna hedged, feeling guilt pile up in her at the small lie. "I'll tell you when I know."

Hoseok nodded gloomily. He and Yenna had always been close, despite having lived apart for so long.

When Yenna was 10, she'd returned to Korea with her father. Mr. and Mrs. Jung had decided that she should stay for a while in Korea, learning more about the korean culture and improving her korean skills. The 2 years she'd spent in England had made her forget a lot of her korean, which was something her parents had been determined to fix.

Therefore, she'd spent her 5th and 6th grade in Korea with her family. Hoseok had been 13 then, smack dab in the middle of his puberty and therefore an emo, rebellious teenager. He and Jiwoo, who was then 18 and thought herself superior to the 'babies', had been in a bloody, endless feud. 10 year old Yenna had found herself stuck in between her brother and sister as they snarled at each other.

Most of their arguments had been about Hoseok's passion for dance. How could he be such a selfish prat, their sister fumed, when their parents were working so hard to keep them happy and well fed? Didn't he see that he should be putting all his time and effort into studying, so that he could get a good job faster and start helping their parents? How could he be so selfish as to put dancing above studying and school?

Yenna had been on Hoseok's side. She was the one he went to when he won a underground dance competition, the one he trusted to keep his secrets and the one he could rely on to always cheer him on. The two had formed a strong bond that hadn't broken even when she once again left for Europe with their father. She'd been the first one he'd called when he'd decided to go to Seoul to be a trainee, and she'd supported him when he'd announced the news to their worried parents.

"So," Hoseok grinned, teasing tone evident. "Tell me, little sis, did you get a boyfriend during the 3 months we haven't Skyped?"

Yenna rolled her eyes. "No, and you know it," she snapped irritably. "If I had, I'd have told you by Katalk."

"Aww," Hoseok pouted. "When will I be able to meet my future brother in law?" He struck a ridiculous pose, pretending to sniffle in sorrow. Yenna groaned.

"Sometimes I wish you were right next to me so I can hit you," she deadpanned, and Hoseok laughed, wincing.

"Ouch," he chuckled. "Alright, alright, no more teasing. But seriously, Yen, I miss you."

"I don't miss you," Yenna grumbled, cheeks turning red. She wasn't a fan of showing affection, not even to her brother or her mother. Hoseok grinned, knowing that the grumbling meant she was embarrassed, and that what she really meant was "I miss you too, jeez! Do I really have to say that out loud?"

She glanced at her watch and started at the time. "Oppa, I have to go now!" she exclaimed. "Sorry!"

"Already?" Hoseok complained. "But it's so hard to see your face! We're both so busy, and with the time difference..."

"Sorry," she replied, feeling slightly guilty at cutting the call short. It was true that they almost never got to Skype each other, seeing as one was a busy college student and the other was a popular idol. "I'll katalk you later, kay?" she blew him a cheeky kiss and he laughed, waving goodbye as she logged off. As soon as the screen turned blank she shot off the sofa, hurrying to grab her waiting suitcase and run out the door.

"Taxi!" she called, holding out a hand, and the taxi driver helped her lug the heavy trunk into the boot.

"Where to?" he asked as Yenna settled down in her seat.

"The airport," she replied. "I'm going home."

 

The flight back to Korea was long and she was dead tired by the time she arrived. No one was waiting for her, as expected, since she hadn't told anyone except her father that she was returning home.

She'd be staying with an old friend for a while until she managed to get a room, but she was still at work. Yenna sighed and stretched, feeling her bones crack. The time difference was already starting to drag her down, but she managed to find her friend's apartment on her own. Punching in the code she'd received the day before, she looked around the house. It was a small flat, with just one bedroom, a small living room, a bathroom and a tiny kitchen. Yenna would be sleeping on the couch. The room was cozy and clean, and she felt herself relax as she placed her large trunk in a corner and opened her carry on suitcase. Changing into comfortable clothes, she shot her friend a message saying she'd arrived before crashing on the couch.


"Hey, hyung!" a voice yelled at Hoseok from the living room. "Hobi hyung!"

"Yeah?" he yelled back, closing his laptop and running a hand through his hair.

"Want to join us?" the voice called back. "Kookie and I are playing games!"

"Sure," he replied, wandering out to the living room where Jungkook and Taehyung were setting up game controllers. Slumping into the couch, he accepted the remote control Taehyung handed him. The younger boys' enthusiasm was contagious and before long, he found himself leaning forward as he played, letting out screeching yells when his character was killed.

In the end, Jungkook won - as always.

"So unfair..." Taehyung grumbled, trudging off to make ramen, as punishment for being in last place. Hoseok and Jungkook glanced at each other and burst out laughing, relaxing into the sofa as they waited for their slave Taehyung to make their ramen for them.

"Who were you talking to, hyung?" Jungkook asked curiously, scrolling through his twitter feed.

"Ah, no one," Hoseok hedged guiltily. Jungkook raised his eyebrow, catching the false tone.

"Ah, does hyung have a girlfriend?" he grinned, waggling his eyebrows at him, and Hoseok snorted, pushing the offending face away.

"No," he scoffed. "Don't be silly." Jungkook just shrugged and turned back to his phone, sensing that Hoseok wasn't lying when he said no.

Hoseok sighed. He missed his little sister, and it was so hard to talk to her these days! What with his busy schedule and her college courses, they never could fix a time to Skype. He missed his dad, too, but it was less strong - he'd always been closer to his mum, after all, just like Yenna had always been closer to their dad. He worried about her. She was his baby sister, and she was living alone in a foreign country! He would have sent her money, at least, but she refused to receive any, telling him to send it to their parents to pay off their debt faster, instead. He had to admit, their debt was quite large - it was inevitable, seeing as the family had had to support his trainee stage as well as their home in Kwangju and their dad and Yenna in Europe.

Now that he was earning more and becoming more and more popular, he wanted to support his family as best he could. Yenna felt the same, and Jiwoo too, he knew. That was why Yenna had refused all financial support ever since she turned 18. It hurt him to know his little sister was probably working hard to survive on her own, but he had to admit he was proud of her strength and determination.

"Here," Taehyung laid down the ramen on a stack of newspaper, handing out chopsticks to the waiting boys.

"Thanks, Taetae," Hoseok grinned, ruffling his dongsaeng's hair as the three dug in.


 

Yenna gulped, looking up at the large building. She was dressed more formally than usual, forgoing her usual brown boots for proper heels - elegant, killer pumps that were already killing her feet. Her camel trench coat protected her from the fierce cold, the neck of her burgundy sweater peeking out from above the collar. Her black pants clung to her long legs and her hair was pulled back in a neat, low ponytail.

This was it. She was going to ace this interview and get a proper job. She could do it. Taking in a deep breath, she marched up the steps and went up to the info desk.

"Hello, what can I do for you?" the receptionist inquired pleasantly.

"Hello, my name is Kim Yenna. I'm here for a job interview?" she said, turning the last sentence into a question.

"Ah, yes," the receptionist smiled. "Please go on up to the 8th floor. Bang PD-nim is waiting for you."

"Thank you," she smiled back, wiping her clammy palms on her trousers as she made her way to the elevators. She wasn't afraid of running into her brother - she knew he was in Japan for a concert. She didn't want to imagine what he'd say if he found out she'd applied to work at BigHit Entertainment without telling him, but she had her own reasons for keeping it a secret. She just hoped it would be worth it in the end.


"Sarah!" she squealed, rushing into the restaurant. "I got it! I got the job!"

Her friend, Sarah, screamed in excitement, bounding up to catch Yenna in a hug. "Congrats, Yenna!" she laughed, squeezing her friend for all her worth.

"Can't breathe," Yenna wheezed, and Sarah let go of her with a chuckle, settling back into her table seat.

"That's such good news though," she told her as they waited for their order to come out. "Now you'll be able to relax!"

"Yeah," Yenna sighed happily. "Plus, I think the Goshiwon (*Korean housing for students - you pay for a single room and share the bathrooms and kitchen. The cheapest accomodations, normally reserved for desperate, broke students*) I visited yesterday is going to take me, I can feel it!"

"That's great," Sarah enthused. "But are you sure you'll be okay with juggling both work and school?"

Yenna shrugged. "To be honest, I'm not too worried about school. Plus, it's not the hardest thing that I've done. My work schedule is flexible, and I can do most of my work at home if I want, anyway."

Sarah gazed at her friend in admiration. "I don't know how you do it, Yen," she told her. "You work so hard and you've gone through such hard times, yet you stay the brightest, kindest soul I've ever met. How on earth do you do it?"

Yenna blushed, waving away the compliments. "It sounds so amazing when you put it like that," she mumbled around her chopsticks. "I'm not that great. And I'm not as kind as you say, either. I'm a grumpy, snappy old grouch that becomes a total witch when I'm tired."

Sarah giggled. "Nah," she replied. "You can be a bit grumpy sometimes when you haven't eaten, but you're still a total angel."

"Stooppp," Yenna protested, crossing her hair across her face to cover her blush. She turned the conversation away from herself, asking about Sarah's new boyfriend as they steadily ate through a pile of meat.


 

Here's some of Hobi's adorable aegyo for you :)

    

 

What I wanted Yenna to look like, except with a burgundy sweater and no holes in the pants.