Absurdity + Seulgi

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Prompt: Sequel for Absurdity!

 

Bae Joohyun sat on her wife’s desk, ruminating about something that intrigued her. A slender pen in hand, the tip danced across the paper in precise moments, yet without aim as Bae Joohyun scribbled thoughtlessly. The quietness around the house was soothing to the easily overwhelmed soul of Bae Joohyun, and yet she felt uneasy by not having her partner around. Again, she found this to be another one of her own absurdities, which brought a quick laugh and a smile to her face.  Ever since Kang Seulgi mentioned her absurdities, she had started to realize how hilariously absurd she truly was. It’s become a source of wonder to her, a quick moment of laughter. Even while her wife out on a trip, Joohyun could amuse herself with her little antics, warm herself up with the thought of her laughter and sleep soundly knowing that she was thinking of her as well.

 

But now she truly sat down to wonder about her lover’s own absurdities. Soon enough, after sitting in the desk scribbling nonsense for an hour now, Joohyun’s warm wrist started to write words, progressively coherent sentences. Her brain was working and she had something to say now. So, she grabbed a fresh piece of paper, blank and slick, and gave little thought to how begin this piece. The formality at the beginning was perhaps a little tease to her own lover, for the rest of the letter would be as silly as it could be.

 

‘You amaze me, Kang Seulgi, but how absurd you truly are.’

 

With a big smile, she let the words flow into the paper, filled with such love.

 

A letter carefully made with love, words stitched together after some thinking, picked with odd, effortless precision for the usually quiet Bae Joohyun. Eloquent but straight to the point, heartfelt but not devoid of a playful e and there. Bae Joohyun was never much of a writer, but that afternoon she was certain as the rising moon and the powerful sun that this was her best work, without a doubt.

 

The letter traveled the end of one edge of the world to another, with the subtle essence of Joohyun emanating from it. Yes, the smell from home wafted around it just a little by the time Seulgi got her hands on it, excited at the little heart drawn at the very corner of her envelope and laughing at the ugly face that she was certain her wife did with so much love. But well, she was quite the bizarre artiste after all. When Kang Seulgi finally got the time to sit on the desk of the hotel room and quietly read the letter, she could feel each knot of her stressed body come undone and fade away with a laugh and a smile. A smile that only her wife knew to yank out.

 

It was not garish, not embellished with fancy unknown words, and that was the best thing.

 

“It is amazing to me that you are one of the most gracious dancers I’ve ever known yet you cannot go down a flight of stairs without scaring me half to death.

 

It amazes me that you are a lost little goober at times that trips over her own words, yet I vividly remember you beating everyone at chess in class. Not a soul was left in your path. 


It truly surprises me how even to this day you smile at me with the wonders of the world in your eyes, unshaken in your attitude and positive ways, yet when you speak somber truths in your novels you carry the weight of knowledge on your shoulders, like it’s made of your inner darkness.

 

You truly are absurd to me, Kang Seulgi, when you recite a poem with shaky hands and stumbling words to me, but on any stage you never waver, like there are no eyes witnessing you. Like the show you’re making is for you and yourself only.

 

You astound me, Kang Seulgi. Oh, but how have you captured my heart with a tight grip on your usually soft hands. How oddly jealous you get at the strangest point. In a big formal party with tons of people staring at me, you don’t get at the least bit defensive, but when we’re in the grocery store? Suddenly, you’re a little jealous. Normally, I would be annoyed but since it’s you, I will only allow it for a moment. Only because I love to see that absurdly adorable face trying so hard to look normal, burying your face on my neck and warning me that you’ve gotten a little jealous. How I love reaching to pat your head and telling you “I’m yours, only yours,” and hearing that little whimper. It’s a whimper that you enjoy me telling you that, but you’re also vaguely annoyed at feeling so weirdly jealous out of nowhere.

 

It’s what I like about you Kang Seulgi, you’re so absurd, too. Maybe that’s what makes us so compelling to watch? 

 

But you better remember, Kang Seulgi, you have all of me and you belong to me. Okay? In all your absurdity, I am forever in love.



And I am,

Forever yours,
Bae Joohyun.”