Golden Tigress.

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Prompt: "To dust things off, write something quick about Seulrene as Graffiti artists + rivalry."

 

The golden signature painted swiftly on the walls had the elders and the middle-aged folks in town upset while the policemen shook their heads at the barbaric display of ‘art’, which they found just to be vandalism. And that’s the way Bae Joohyun liked it, to sneer in the face of the town she disliked, with her art no less. 

 

The same could be said about the silver signature that sometimes accompanied (or merely defied) that golden mark, sometimes covering it outright and imposing its presence, marking its territory.

 

The graffiti artist looked at the extensive wall under the bridge, seeing how paint and designs slowly swallowed it day by day -- much to people’s disapproval. Her design of a gold and red tigress stood atop all of them, like a goddess, while everything was free game below it. Except for the menacing silver bear that sported electric blue eyes and frightening fangs, standing on its hind legs and ready to devour the tigress. Once upon a time, Joohyun was annoyed at this, but slowly she found it exhilarating, keeping her on her toes. Strange it is indeed, a weird relationship with a supposed rival. Only that this person wasn’t a rival. 

 

With a smirk, Joohyun walked away from the wall, finding no use to mark her spot there or re-affirm her name. One would think that Joohyun would get up there and paint over the bear, but she could not. Not after the night where the graffiti artist, clad in dark clothes and a hoodie, her supposed rival, had just gotten done creating a gorgeous piece of art -- the silver and blue shades absent, no signature in sight -- depicting a mother and a baby, in commemoration of the tragic passing of the Baes. Yes, Joohyun’s late mother and baby sister. Joohyun, with bag in hand, had walked up to her desired spot to mark her spot in the town once again, decisive to draw over the Silver design with her golden, skillful . Until she saw her, mask and gloves on, the painting nearly finished as the sun was just crawling up from the horizon.

 

“Don’t forget her,” read the painting below, inviting everyone to remember the heroine that fought bravely beyond her duty as a firefighter and left behind her husband, her two daughters and a grieving mother.

 

Kang Seulgi was the name of the silver bear artist, commonly known as Messonoir. Also known as Joohyun’s roommate. And that painting was the exact same picture that went missing from Joohyun’s desk a few days ago. Those days Seulgi mysteriously disappeared and got busier than usual and Joohyun had been so distracted to connect the dots herself.

 

So when the two artists locked eyes with one another in that brief moment, there was a mutual understanding. Perhaps, there was a mutual agreement as well. The transparent rivalry became diluted in the crazy turns of life. Before any of them could speak, the sound of the police made them scatter like bugs seeking mercy. 

 

Finding one another in the apartment, they looked at each other amused. Who would’ve thought that the lovers were artistic rivals?

 

And now, Joohyun looked at the empty mural, freshly painted behind the church. She let her bag slip down her shoulders with a thud, the cans clinking together. She takes out the spray can out and thinks of the man who she wanted to pay tribute to.

 

Seulgi’s cousin, Junsu, who was fatally stabbed by a thug. He was a hero too, even if his credentials as a protector were not official and just a label the town bestowed upon him and the rest of the organization he belonged to. In remembering another hero, Seulgi hoped someone would remember Junsu.

 

So, Joohyun shook her can and began her important piece with that golden glow to match that golden smile she’s seen on Seulgi’s photo album.