Challenge 5: Angel

What it Takes

"Where's Jongin?" Baekhyun asked as he timidly sat up, rubbing his eyes. 

"Um..." Chanyeol bit his lip. 

"He's in surgery again." Kyungsoo said bluntly, hiding his worry behind an emotionless expression. 

"Oh... is he alright?" Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows in concern. 

"They somehow gave him the wrong blood type, and I don't know what they're doing to fix it." Kyungsoo mumbled, putting his chin on his hand and staring blankly at the white and grey polished tiles on the floor. 

"He'll be fine, Kyungsoo. Trust me, he's a strong guy. You know this." Baekhyun offered a small smile, causing Kyungsoo's eyes to tear up. 

"Yeah, I know."

 

-

-

 

Jongin slowly stepped into the light blue glowing capsule, placing his hands on the cold metal imprints in front of him. This is it, he thought. This is where I either live or die...

He nervously looked behind his shoulder to see the door slide shut and bright blue and white lights shining all around him, almost making him blind. He felt a radiating warmth, almost burning, in his chest and stomach, and his hands were trapped against the metal, which was getting colder and colder by the second. 

Starting to get lightheaded, he fell backwards, crashing through the glass and landing on his back. Instead of hitting the floor, however, his back his a soft white material. 

 

"Welcome back, Jongin." A familiar, warm voice greeted him. 

Jongin fluttered his eyes the rest of the way open to see Kyungsoo standing over him, grabbing his hand. 

Jongin smiled softly and laced their fingers together, breathing out a sigh of relief. 

"There must've been some kind of miracle in the OR," a doctor chuckled. "You almost didn't make it."

Jongin' eyes slightly widened, and he remembered what had happened in the capsule. That must've meant that he made it. He was actually... an angel. 

"Huh..." he hummed. "Well, thank you for saving me. Twice..." Jongin smiled. 

"It's my job." The doctor said with a wink, then walked out of the room to leave Kyungsoo and Jongin to themselves. 

"Why'd you have to get shot, dammit?" Kyungsoo sniffled, sitting in a chair and dropping his head to Jongin's shoulder. "You scared me to death."

"I'm sorry, Soo. But, I'm okay now. See?" He pulled the older's head off of his shoulder and brushed a stray hair off of his forehead, looking into his eyes. "I'm fine."

Kyungsoo nodded and tried to smile, squeezing Jongin's hand tighter. "I love y-you," he whispered, looking at his shoes. 

"I love you too, Kyunggie." 

 

-

-

 

Chanyeol held Baekhyun to his chest, letting the smaller boy sleep as he cradled him. He knew that he'd have to leave soon, since visiting hours would be over, but he didn't care. He was going to wait until the nurses physically kicked him out. 

"Channie?" Baekhyun's soft voice intereupted Chanyeol's thoughts, and he looked down. 

"Yeah?"

"It's getting late. You should head home before it gets too dark..." Baekhyun yawned, trying to pull himself off of Chanyeol. 

"I don't want to." Chanyeol whispered, pecking the top of Baekhyun's head and bringing him back up to his chest. 

"But if you don't leave now, you'll get caught in late rush traffic, and I don't want you getting in an accident on an icy road with some idiot driver. We don't both need to be in the hospital." Baekhyun pouted, scooting himself back into the mattress and forcing Chanyeol to stand up. 

"Alright," Chanyeol sighed. "I guess I'll get going." He smiled and kissed Baekhyun's cheek, then his forehead. "I love you."

"Love you, too." Baekhyun smiled and hugged Chanyeol before he left. 

Watching his giant of a boyfriend leave made him feel sad, but also kind of relieved. Baekhyun knew he probably looked really bad, and he didn't want Chanyeol to worry. He also didn't want to be alone. He didn't know if the shooter had been caught yet or not, and that was all the more reason for him not to be alone. 

"Hey..." Jongin appeared in the doorway, leaning on metal crutches. 

"Oh, hey." Baekhyun smiled a bit, shifting so he was sitting up straight. 

"How're you doing?"

"Pretty good. You?" 

Jongin shrugged. "Okay, I guess." He went into the room and sat on a chair, scooting it closer to Baekhyun's bed. "I, um..."

Baekhyun quirked an eyebrow.

"I went back there. I wasn't gonna make it." 

"What?" 

Jongin told Baekhyun everything about what happened, not really caring that the two weren't that close. He knew Baekhyun was the only one who could really relate to him. And besides, they both had boyfriends that were worried sick about them. 

"Wait, wait..." Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. "You're an angel?"

"Technically...?" Jongin chuckled. "I still don't really know, myself."

"Whoa..."

The two sat in silence until a nurse came in and made Jongin go back to his own room. 

An angel, he thought. Me? No way...