Challenge 2: Solve and See

What it Takes

Jongin gasped as he walked into the room, seeing a small stuffed puppy. "This..." he sniffled. "Kyungsoo gave me one like this. Why is there a button on the back?" 

"Don't press it!" Baekhyun gently took the toy from the taller's hands, setting it on the table it was originally on. "We haven't gotten instructions or an introduction to the room yet."

"Good thinking, Baekhyun," the voice came back on the speaker. "This is the second room. It's going to challenge some of your moral skills. Jongin, go ahead. Press the button. I promise it's safe." The speaker went silent again, leaving the two to their own words and thoughts. 

"Well, here goes." Jongin squeezed his eyes shut and pressed the button. 

On the back of the puppy, a small touch screen appeared with a password lock. 

"Crap. It's password protected."

"And that's where my job makes yours a bit easier." The voice said. "On the table behind you, there are three books, each with a question about your morality."

"But there's four numbers in the passcode..?" Jongin said, slightly confused. 

"You'll see what that one is. My job in this room is done."

Baekhyun and Jongin shared a look before setting the stuffed puppy down and walking over to the books.

Baekhyun picked the first one up. "Well, here we go." He opened the red cover and saw a picture of a guitar, drumstick, and a trumpet all above a baby. There was text underneath it that read: Which will you give?

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jongin asked. 

"Maybe we need to line up the other books, too? They all have only two pages hollowed out, so..."

"Okay." Jongin opened the next book, a white one, and set it down next to the first one. The last one was black, and had a padlock on it. 

"Why does it have a lock?" Baekhyun asked, crossing his arms in confusion and frustration. The first book's morality riddle-if you can call it that-along with the second book's strange drawing (a crib with a pill bottle in it) frustrated him. Add onto that the padlock and extra number...

"I may have an idea..." Jongin mumbled, picking up a pen from the table. He circled the pill bottle and drew an arrow, drawing a small circle that the arrow pointed to. He then circled the guitar and pointed an arrow from the baby to the crib. 

"What?" Baekhyun craned his neck to look at the picture better. He saw the circle was labeled "coin".

"You take the bottle out. Instead of pills, it's filled with coins. Think about it, a safe place to hide spare change. A pill bottle in a baby's nursery. Makes sense, right?"

Baekhyun nodded. 

"So, you take the baby, put it in the crib, and use the coin as a pic for the guitar to play for the baby to fall asleep."

Baekhyun's eyes widened as he face palmed. "Now I feel like an idiot..."

"Hey, I probably wouldn't have gotten it if Kyungsoo hadn't kept his spare change in a pill bottle."

"He did?"

"Yeah. One day he asked me to bring him some cold medicine, and in one of the bottles that was labeled for cold medicine, there were coins instead of pills," he chuckled. 

"Clever," Baekhyun smiled. 

A chime from a small bell was heard, then a screen lit up with four numbers: 6482

"It worked!" Jongin chirped, smiling at the now unlocked touch screen. 

There were two questions on the screen, the hints as to where the key for the third book was. 

 

1. Where did you have your first kiss with Chanyeol?

2. What was Kyungsoo doing the first time you visited his dorm?

 

"My first kiss with Chanyeol was on a couch." Baekhyun blushed a bit, looking over to Jongin. 

"The first time I visited his dorm, Soo was reading a book," Jongin smiled. 

"So, the book on the couch is where the key should be, right?" Baekhyun asked, picking up the book and opening it. The key was taped into the inside of the hollowed out book, and Baekhyun took it out, handing it to Jongin so he could unlock the book. 

"No..." They both whispered when they saw the contents of the pages. 

 

-

-

 

"Mr. Park?" A doctor called out, making Chanyeol jump to his feet and quickly stride over. 

"Yes?" 

"I'm supposed to let you know. He's been in surgery for about an hour now, and things... well, they're not looking great. There's still a good chance he'll pull through, though."

Chanyeol nodded glumly, turning to walk back to his chair. He stopped when a shorter guy looked coldly at the floor. Chanyeol assumed that he was probably there for someone in the shooting, too. 

When he got back to his seat, he put his head in his hands. He knew it was going to be a long day, and he didn't feel like eating or sleeping. He just wanted Baekhyun back. 

"You have a shooting victim, too?" The boy from earlier asked, sitting a chair away from him. 

"Yeah..." 

"I never expected something like this to happen at that studio of all places." 

"All he was doing was recording a vocal score for his professor."

"Really?"

"Yeah. He said he'd have a surprise for me when he came back, but..."

"What's his name?"

"Baekhyun."

"Oh, so you must be Chanyeol?"

"You're friends with Baek?"

The boy smiled. "We're in the same vocal comp class."

"Oh. You are?"

"Kyungsoo."

"Jongin's--"

"Yep. You composed the song he danced to at the presentation last year..." Kyungsoo had a faint smile on his face. 

"Yeah, it was a lot of fun." Chanyeol smiled as well. "I hope they'll be done soon. I just wanna crush Baek in a hug..." 

 

-

-

 

"The poor guys..." Baekhyun said, sniffling. "They don't know..."

"Yeah," Jongin frowned, furrowing his eyebrows. "I wish they'd know we're okay and we can make it."

They continued watching a small conversation go between the two. A few minutes later, the screen abruptly went black. It was soon replaced with images of themselves on the operating tables, their heartbeats uneven. 

"We look so bad!" Baekhyun gasped. 

"Yeah, we do..." Jongin mumbled. "Ah!" He gasped, clutching his chest.

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun said, catching him before he could fall. 

"Check the monitor," he huffed. 

Baekhyun nodded, picked up the stuffed animal, looking at the screen. He zoomed in and his eyes widened.

Jongin was flatlining.