Challenge 4: Return

What it Takes

Baekhyun cracked his eyes open, scanning the small hospital room. He started to sit up, but winced at the sharp pain in his stomach. 

"Hey, just lay down."

Baekhyun looked to his left, and his eyes landed on Chanyeol. A small smile spread across his lips as he reached his hand out to the younger, intertwining their fingers their together. 

Chanyeol smiled and sat on the bed next to Baekhyun, kissing his forehead and leaning down to hug him around his shoulders. "How are you?"

"In pain, but good since you're here." He whispered, wrapping his arms around the younger's neck.

"I was really worried about you, Baek. Don't get shot again. Ever." 

Baekhyun let out a small chuckle, pulling himself up and sitting with his back against the fluffy pillow. "I wasn't planning on it."

"Good," Chanyeol mumbled, his lips brushing Baekhyun's ear. He pulled the smaller boy closer to him, smiling when he felt Baekhyun's head fall on his chest. 

 

-

-

 

Kyungsoo slowly walked into the room, eyes falling on Jongin. His skin flushed pale, and his plump lips were chapped and dry. 

Kyungsoo frowned at the sight of Jongin looking pretty much dead. He felt a pang in his chest, and sat down on a chair next to the bed, grabbing Jongin's cold hand. "Just wake up already..." he mumbled. 

Jongin seemed to have other plans, however. A minute later, his hand started to twitch, and his heart rate suddenly spiked. 

Kyungsoo panicked and yelled for doctors, seeing multiple people in white coats and real scrubs springing into the room. 

"Guys, what blood type did you give him?" A doctor said concerned and angrily. 

"Um—"

"The correct answer is the wrong type, now get him back into the OR, now." The doctors and nurses hurriedly wheeled Jongin and the IV fluids he was attached to out of the room and into an OR. 

Kyungsoo just sat in the now vacant room, staring at where Jongin had been. Tears started to blur his vision. His boyfriend had been shot, and now they gave him the wrong blood type. He was so close to dying, and Kyungsoo hated himself at the moment. Just the week before, they'd been fighting about Jongin getting hit on by another guy, and he had just started to forgive him. 

Kyungsoo walked to the next room over to talk to Chanyeol. 

"Hey, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol greeted with a small smile. 

Kyungsoo waved and remained quiet, seeing that Baekhyun was asleep. 

"You alright?" Chanyeol asked, raising an eyebrow in concern. 

"N-no..." he whispered, motioning Chanyeol to step out of the room. 

Chanyeol gently pried Baekhyun off of him and lifted the blanket over him, then followed Kyungsoo into the hallway. 

"What's wrong?"

"Jongin... they accidentally gave him the wrong blood type. He convulsed and they took him back into the OR..." 

"I'm so sorry..." Chanyeol said, frowning and putting a hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder. 

Kyungsoo sniffled and wiped a tear off of his cheek. "We just stopped fighting, and he was gonna give me something today... he said it meant a lot to him and it was special." He sighed. "It's not fair. He shouldn't get hurt like that..."

Chanyeol nodded. "Yeah, it's really not fair. Neither Baek nor Jongin did anything to deserve that. Nobody in that shooting did." He looked back through the doorway at Baekhyun, who was still sleeping. 

"Can I sit with you guys? I don't think I can be alone..." Kyungsoo asked, looking at his shoes. 

"Of course. Make yourself comfortable." Chanyeol offered a small smile as he followed Kyungsoo back into the room. 

 

-

-

 

Jongin looked around the familiar room where he'd woken up the last time he was in this area. 

"Back so soon?" The voice from earlier called out. 

"Yeah, I guess..." Jongin frowned, running a hand through his hair. His mind went to Kyungsoo, thinking about what the older boy might be doing. He hated that he was putting his boyfriend through so much; almost dying twice in the same day. What was he going to do if and when he came back? Would he see Kyungsoo worriedly crying like he did when Jongin was almost in a car accident? Would he be blank and emotionless from the whole ordeal? Or would he just cling to Jongin and never let go, afraid that he might slip away again?

Either way, Jongin didn't want to spend any more time in this place, so he walked out of the room and to the first challenge room, which was different than the last one. It involved watching Kyungsoo, though, which made him tear up at the sight of his pale, sad, scared-looking boyfriend. 

"Soo, don't cry..." Jongin whispered to himself, clutching his chest. "What am I supposed to do?" He asked, hoping the voice would have some kind of answer. 

"You're not gonna make this one, Jongin. The only way is if you're a true angel."

"Angel?"

"Have the lightest soul and cleanest intent to return. It doesn't mean you have wings or anything. It's just a strong will to do good." The voice explained. 

"Oh..." Jongin shuddered. He knew he'd done some questionable things and hurt some people in his time, and he expected to completely fail everything ahead of him. Sure, he was a generally good person, but was he good enough to make it through this testing?