Challenge 1: Watching

What it Takes

Baekhyun stepped into the room, Mr. Lee walking through a separate door next to it. 

"From here on out, you're on your own. The only other people you'll be able to contact are those in the room with you." Mr. Lee had said before leaving Baekhyun alone in a room with a tall male with tan skin and plump lips. 

The guy looked at Baekhyun for a moment before smiling. "You look familiar... we're you at the studio today, too?" 

"Yeah. I'm Byun Baekhyun. You are?"

"Kim Jongin. You might know me by my stage name/nickname Kai." Jongin said, holding his hand out for Baekhyun to shake. "We're gonna work together so..."

Baekhyun nodded and shook Jongin's hand, slightly nervous as he heard the door bolt shut. "Well, looks like we're locked in here, huh?" 

"Yeah..." Jongin shrugged, frowning. 

With a click, the lights in the bright white room turned off, leaving them to look at a hologram-like screen. It displayed the studio when the both of them were there. 

"Baekhyun, Jongin," a voice came over a loudspeaker. "This is the footage of the shooting. Watch it all the way through. When you get shot, your footage will stop, and go to the other person's. When both of you are shot, the lights will come on." 

And with that, the footage started. It was Jongin's clip first. 

 

"Bye, Kyunggie." He said, smiling before hanging up the phone and turned back to the choreographer. 

 

"Kyunggie?" Baek asked. 

"My boyfriend..." Jongin blushed a bit, the corners of his mouth curling into a small smile. 

 

"Do the dance over one more time and you'll be free to go!" The choreographer smiled, clasping his hands together. 

 

"Alright!" Jongin smiled brightly before the music started. "Ready."

The music started up, and he danced, getting nods and words of approval from the choreographer. 

 

"You're good." Baekhyun mumbled. 

"Thanks..." Jongin chuckled before they both turned back to the screen. 

 

Once he was done, Jongin grabbed a water bottle and chugged half of it while he listened to the choreographer tell him what stretched to do and what to practice over the time he was gone. 

"Thank you!" Jongin bowed and walked out of the practice room, almost bumping into a vocalist walking into her recording room. 

"Sorry!" They said in unison, causing the other to laugh. They waved before going on their separate ways. 

 

"It all started so normal..." Jongin whispered, biting his lip and attempting to stop a tear from falling down his cheek. 

"Yeah, it did." Baekhyun sighed. 

 

A second after Jongin stepped into the lobby, screams and loud gunshots were heard, causing everyone to run around in a flurry of panic. 

Jongin managed to run and duck under a table to hide, hearing the faintest sound of sirens approaching. They got louder and louder, but the ringing in his ears did, too. He silently thanked all things good and holy when he heard the cops bust through the front door, glass shattering as more gunshots exploded through the air. 

"Ah!" He choked on his breath when he felt a sudden and mind numbing pain pierce his right hip, feeling it rip through into his rib. He looked down for a second before he passed out, seeing a small metal fragment hit the side of the desk he was under, and black boots surrounding him. 

 

The screen went blank, leaving the two in the silent dark before Baekhyun's clip played. 

 

"Great job, Baekhyun!" The professor told him, reviewing his just recorded self-composed piece. 

"Thank you," Baekhyun smiled cheerfully. "I was thinking of running it one more time before I move onto finishing singing the next piece?"

"That sounds like a great idea. I love the style you wrote in. Sad, but hopeful at the same time. It's very touching, Mr. Byun."

"Thank you, so much, ma'am!" Baekhyun's smile widened and spread to his eyes, making the professor laugh and smile as well at his excitement. 

 

"Here it comes..." Baekhyun mumbled. "So unexpected."

 

He sang through the song the last time, then moved onto the next one, a much happier one. 

"Hmm..." 

"What is it?" Baekhyun asked the professor, looking at the score with her. 

"These lyrics," she smiled, "like, 'when you smile, the clouds part', they're so sweet. Did you write this for someone?"

Baekhyun blushed. "Um, yes..."

"Who?" The professor smiled, leaning her chin in her hand. 

"Chanyeol's your student, right?"

"You wrote it for him?"

"Yeah. He means the world to me..." he broke out into a sweet grin, his heart thumping at the thought of his beloved boyfriend. 

"Sing it like you're singing it to him, okay? That way, you'll get all the emotion you need from it." 

"Yes, ma'am!" Baekhyun playfully saluted and went back to record. 

 

"You have a boyfriend, too?" Jongin smiled. 

"Yeah, he's amazing..." Baekhyun nodded. "I miss him..."

"I miss my Kyunggie, too..."

 

"I'll love you for the rest of time," he finished the last phrase of the song, hearing the last piano chord. The beautiful resonance of the piano didn't last long, however. He heard loud "bang"s, and sprinted out to see what all of the screams were. His professor ran with him, and as they feared, the police were there along with a man with a gun. 

"Quick, over here!" Baekhyun pulled his professor's sleeve and tugged her behind a few file cabinets. 

Baekhyun, however, got caught by the man with the gun, and was held in a hostage position. 

"Let him go!" The police shouted, aiming their guns for the man's head. 

The man chuckled eerily, and pulled Baekhyun into a janitor's closet. 

"Shh..." the man put a finger over his lips and grabbed a silencer out of his back pocket. "I'm not gonna kill you."

Baekhyun shook and leaned against the wall for support, not daring to make a lunge for the door. 

The man pressed the barrel to his stomach and pulled the trigger and ran out of the room. 

Baekhyun screamed in sheer pain before he fell into the opening door, hitting his head and causing him to black out. 

 

The lights flashed back on, making both man cringe at the sudden brightness. 

"Yikes, that's bright." Jongin murmured. 

"Yeah..." Baekhyun nodded in agreement. 

"Now," the voice came back on the loudspeaker. "You passed the first challenge, the easiest one. Though watching yourself get shot and others get shot isn't easy, it is by far the most simple and least difficult task you're to be faced with. Please, proceed to the black door across the room."

Baekhyun looked around, and saw the black door, the golden handle contrasting it. 

"I don't know what that is, but if the door's black, it's probably not good, right?" Jongin said, looking to Baekhyun before starting towards the  door. 

"You're probably right." Baekhyun shrugged, grasping the cold handle. They stepped inside and Jongin froze at what he saw. 

"Oh my god..."