Chapter Three

The Nest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a beautiful boy. His skin was like freshly fallen snow and his eyes blue like the sky. But he would never see any of that - for he had lost his sight when he was a child. He grew up in a room - he was rarely allowed to leave. It was always the same people bringing him the food, material to study...

And then, one day, he fell. From a window, as if he wanted to fly with the birds he could never see.

No one was there to catch him.

Both angels tensed up at the same time,  but Sehun was quicker to act. With a swift move he twirled around, standing in front of Luhan in a clear attempt to protect him. His wings unfolded fully, the pitch black feathers trembling with fury.

"Do not dare to lay another hand on him." he faced the much larger man, his gaze sharp.

Luhan fidgeted behind him awkwardly, his own feathers ruffling up as he tried to peek out behind the taller. His wing still ached where he had been touched. A guard - feathers a dull grey, nothing special for sure - stood in front of them, and there was a sword in his hands, it was clear that he was ready to attack. But why? Luhan did not understand. He knew the rules of the Falling - and he had not disobeyed any of them. And yet, someone was there, ready to hurt him. Just because of a dance? 

"It is from this day, forbidden for a Pure heart to fall for a Dark one," started the guard and both tensed up at that. Never before had that been said - because hearts could not be commanded. It was said that only the insane would try to dictate this. ad yet, there was a guard, clad in a uniform, saying just that. Luhan looked up, slowly stepping out from behind Sehun. He was shaking slightly, but it was more from anger that anything else. But before he could have acted, Sehun held him back. 

"We are merely talking." he lied and they all knew just how false that sounded. Luhan should have felt betrayed but he could just taste the lie. It made him tense up slightly still; he had no idea why it had to be told in the first place.

Just as he was about to speak up as well, the music suddenly stopped.

"And the Ball of Falling has come to an end." a voice announced and most creatures looked around in absolute confusion. None understood why it had taken such a short time - usually it would go on for many hours, way after night would fall."Guardians are requested to return their chambers." that was also something none of them had ever heard before. 

But the crowd was abuzz within moments - it was clear that few would actually try and say no to those that wrote the rules. Sehun however, held Luhan's wrist in a tight grip - an obvious sign that he did not want him to go.

"You're coming with me. To my.."

The seller's eyes widened ever so slightly and yet he nodded. Sehun had power over him - not an ill one, merely sometbing that just urged him to do as told. But mostly it was his heart crying at the thought of losing the person he had been waiting for for such a long time. 

"Does this mean you have to go back down tomorrow?" he asked as the two of them rushed through the sea of stunned angels. 

"Yes. But I might know a way for you to come with me."

Danger ruled the world. It lay in every corner, snuck around with each breath that one took. And yet, life seemed to pass the same way it had for centuries. Even when poison was thick in the air, humans would forever go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter