Obtuse

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shuffling up to his doorstep Yoongi cound Kim Taehyung leaning one arm casually against his door, eyes glued to his phone. Clearing his throat, the mop of black hair flopped to the side as he snapped his head up and met eyes with Yoongi. A bright smile followed and Yoongi couldn’t take his eyes off of the boxy shape of Taehyung’s mouth. After his gaze lingered for a touch too long, he brought his arm up that was holding a black plastic bag.

 

“Hope you weren’t waiting long, I stopped to pick up some drinks.”

 

Taehyung shook his head and pushed off of the door so he could step back and let Yoongi through to unlock his apartment.

 

“Not at all. Just a little over 30 minutes.”

 

Stepping forward, the blonde pulled out his keys and slid it into the lock, he began to turn it but stopped halfway through the motion and snapped his head in the other man’s direction.

 

“What?!”

 

Seeing Taehyung’s lips slide into a smirk, Yoongi punched the man in the arm without any power and grunted, “Jerk,” before going back to his task and let them into his apartment. Once inside, Yoongi reached for the bag of food that Taehyung had with him. Passing it off easily, the taller man strode through the front door and made his way to the kitchen bar. Yoongi passed by a few seconds later and began to pull out plates and utensils. He didn’t really know what drinks to buy so he ended up with a variety of sort. Soda, juice, banana milk and even beer. He couldn’t drink any but Taehyung had worked all day he might want some.

 

“What type of job has you working nights?”

 

Yoongi continued pulling everything out of the bags and didn’t bother looking up to answer the younger.

 

“I’m a DJ at Kush 109.3 keeping the nightbirds company and hopefully keeping their eyes open instead of in the back of their heads as they drive.”

 

The younger nodded, he hadn’t thought that the man would be a radio DJ but it made more sense as to why he was able to have blonde hair, he didn’t work at a straight laced, business clones company.

 

“Your voice is soothing, you would think they would have more trouble staying awake on the road.” He spoke as if he was thinking to himself but still said the words loud enough for Yoongi to hear. It made the tips of his ears turn a light shade of pink as he pulled out the last of the drinks onto the counter.

 

“Ah, well that’s what the songs are for. I actually get some creative liberty and don’t just have to play that Top 40 so I like to mix things up every now and then. Let some underappreciated or not very well known artists shine a little. Open request hour is a good time too. Some of the that people request is… Hah, well it’s fun.”

 

“Hmm, I might have to tune in one night.”

 

Yoongi raised his gaze to Taehyung’s eyes searching for some type of insincere but politeness. He didn’t find any. No, all he saw was a sincerity that was refreshing. He didn’t outwardly smile but he was on the inside.

 

“Sure,” he shrugged.

 

Taehyung looked over the spread that Yoongi had laid out and pointed at the drinks.

 

“That’s a wide variety you got there. Oh! Banana milk, Jungkookie’s favorite.”

 

A cough filled the air. Yoongi hadn’t even realized that he had bought it. He didn’t like banana milk much but somehow he still couldn’t break the habit of buying it when he was in the store. He ended up giving it to Namjoon every single time. Luckily, Namjoon didn’t remember the significance of the drink otherwise he would be giving the elder a hard look that Yoongi really didn’t need. Some things just didn’t change. This was one of them.

 

“Oh, yeah, yeah it is. Do you like it too?” The other man nodded.

 

“Strawberry is my favorite but I like banana too.”

 

Yoongi hummed and then began filling his plate with the pad thai that the younger had brought.

“Help yourself and don’t be afraid to grab a beer. I just bought a bit of everything since I don’t know what you like.”

 

With his plate full, he left the kitchen and brought it into the living room. He had a small dining room but he never used it and it felt weird to start now. Yoongi preferred to just eat at his coffee table with the television on. He didn’t turn it on tonight but he placed the remote nearby in case the younger wanted it on. It wasn’t long before Taehyung had joined him and with not only a beer but a banana milk. He raised a brow at the drink choices but said nothing. Instead he took a sip of his cola and then picked up his chopsticks.

 

“Hyung, thanks for letting me stop by.”

 

Having just shoved a large portion of noodles and chicken in his mouth, Yoongi could only raise his eyes to the younger and stare. Chewing and swallowing a little faster than he normally would, Yoongi tried to reply quickly.

 

“Uh, you're welcome but you want to tell me why you’re here?”

 

He watched as the man began to pick at his food and it only made Yoongi wonder once again what the hell was going on. He didn’t feel like much had transpired between them for this, whatever it was, to be occurring. Somehow it didn’t feel right to phrase it as such so Yoongi kept those thoughts to himself.

 

“ You’ve been friends with Jungkook for years now. You know him better than me I’m sure so I- I’m just not sure how I’ll be able to help with uh whatever is going on.”

 

That was so smooth Min Yoongi. Stumbling over his words like he did, embarrassing. Though he still didn’t know how to word it properly. Taehyung didn’t seem to care if anything he seemed to nod in understanding. Everything had been very vague so far. Yoongi needed a little more clarification. Taehyung ate a few bites while Yoongi let him collect his thoughts and perhaps string together a sentence that was a little more cohesive than his last.

 

“I ed up and I really just don’t know how to get him to talk to me. He’s avoiding me at work, even going to lunch with Mihyun and won’t return my calls.”

 

Yoongi looked up from his lashes at the man who sat across from him in the middle of a rant. Did he really just complain about Jungkook going to lunch with someone other than him. Yoongi’s shoulders shook in silent laughter. It felt like 6th grade all over again but it was kind of cute that Taehyung cared so much about his time spent with his best friend. There that word was again. Cute. He couldn’t seem to escape it lately with Taehyung. Hmph. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that.

 

“Is it that bad tha he’s going to lunch with this Mihyun person.”

 

“Yes!”

 

The amount of intensity that Taehyung put into that one word had Yoongi’s eyes open wide as if he had just seen a ghost pop up in front of him.

 

“I mean, no. Well, yes. Mihyun likes him, she always has and she can’t have him.”

 

Now, Yoongi couldn’t hold back his laughter. He laughed and he laughed and he laughed. The expression on Taehyung’s face was one of annoyance. His brow furrowed as he stared at Yoongi not comprehending what was so funny.

 

“I’m sorry Taehyung but you sound like a jealous lover and I mean I guess you could be. Are you?”

 

If Yoongi had thought that Taehyung’s words were funny he had never seen how expressive the younger could be. His whole being radiated him being appalled and that was hilarious in itself. This time Yoongi bit down on his lip to reign in his laughter. So, that was a no. Guess they aren’t lovers. It could happen. Raising his hands up in surrender, he then pressed his hands together and apologized.

 

“I didn’t realize you could be so obtuse hyung.”

 

“Obtuse?”

 

That through Yoongi off his guard. It wasn’t something he had ever been called before and he had always been a little prideful on his careful observations. Taehyung was shaking his head.

 

“Bunny,” Taehyung let out a sigh, he couldn’t stop using that nickname for some reason. Maybe because he missed his best friend more than he usually did.

 

“I mean Jungkook and I will never be lovers. He’s attractive sure. I mean I’ve groomed him myself to be on legs.” Yoongi began to hack up a lung as he choked on a piece of chicken at what Taehyung had just said. He mouthed, “ on legs?” but the other man was continuing as if Yoongi hadn’t just about died.

 

“But I’m not interested in his . Touched it once and that was enough.”

 

“Once?”

 

Taehyung waved his arm in dismissal, “Story for another time hyung.”

 

Yoongi just nodded wide eyed at all the information he had just gotten.

 

“You can call him bunny, Tae. I understand who you mean now. Don’t press yourself.”

 

After a few more bites, Taehyung smiled softly at Yoongi. His heart may have just skipped a beat.

 

“I miss him. I think that’s why I keep using that nickname so much lately.”

 

Yoongi nodded in understanding.

 

“Anyway, remember that picture that I took of us that night.”

 

Yoongi set his chopsticks down and just raised his gaze to Taehyung’s willing him to continue with the topic he had brought up but it seemed the younger was waiting for confirmation.

 

“The one you deleted.”

 

It wasn't a question but a statement because Yoongi expected the man to delete it like he had originally told him to do. Though a little voice in the back of his head said he might want to look at it just one more time. Taehyung nodded, pulled his phone out from his pants pocket, fingers flying over the screen as he found what he was looking for then slid the phone across the coffee table for Yoongi to look at. His large hand reached for the phone pulling it closer to himself and he looked down, eyes immediately drawn to the picture of them that Taehyung was supposed to delete.

 

Jesus, it really looked like they had just ed. It was an image that Yoongi quickly realized he wasn’t actually ready to see and maybe he wouldn’t be for a long while. He in a breath and tried very hard not to let his thoughts wander to what could have happened that night. He was just about to say something about not deleting the picture when his eyes saw more of the screen he was looking at. It wasn’t just the picture but it was in a text message. A text message to a number Yoongi wouldn’t ever forget and a name that matched with Taehyung’s nostalgia.

 

Yoongi zeroed in on the date that the message was sent and it took him a  few seconds to figure out that it was indeed the same night that they spent together.

 

“.” He muttered under his breath so softly that even Taehyung couldn’t hear it. This was not what he had expected at all. He wasn’t quite sure what to feel. He was still confused though. How did this picture cause any problem between Jungkook and Taehyung. Sure, it looked like Taehyung had sent his best friend a picture of his latest conquest but even still that wasn’t the worst thing in the world.

 

“Okay, so you sent it to Jungkook. I’m still not sure what the problem is. Are you sure the two of you don’t have a thing?”

 

An exasperated sigh filled the space between then and then Taehyung through his hands up in the air. He took a long swig of the beer he had almost forgotten about in the importance of the topic.

 

“So ing obtuse.”

 

Yoongi’s eyes narrowed as the words that were said to oneself were still heard by the other. How was he obtuse? Sure, maybe Jungkook and him didn’t have anything between them but friendship but anyone in this situation would come to that conclusion considering the context that was missing from that picture. If Jungkook wasn’t talking to Taehyung then he had to have some type of feelings for his friend. It wasn’t that crazy of an idea.

 

“He misses you.”

 

Yoongi looked and felt like he was just slapped across the face. Misses him? Did he hear that right? A part of him had fluttered, jumped in joy but the majority of Yoongi was just lost. He understood that even if Jungkok missed him it was in a platonic way. They had been such good friends, family even for so long. Yoongi would never lie to himself, he missed Jungkook. A lot. A whole ing lot. This was better though, this distance. He his lips, opened his mouth then shut it again.

 

“So, he won’t talk to you because he misses me? I’m not following here Taehyung. Just spit it out.”

 

The open attitude that Yoongi had walked through his front door with was starting to close off. The alarm had been rung and his walls were ready to raise and slide into place. Taehyung looked like he was struggling with finding the right words to use but Yoongi couldn’t help him with that.

 

“Hyung, we both know what happened three years ago. He accepted that as well as he could have but seeing you again, it’s only made him miss you more then I shoot him this really deceiving image. Of course, he would be hurt. It looks like I’m flaunting spending time with you in his face and well a bit more than that.”

 

“And that’s my fault how?”

 

Taehyung dropped his chopsticks onto this plate and annoyance flashed through his eyes before he bit it back down.

 

“It’s not. It’s mine but we still hurt him and I’ve been trying to fix things but he won’t let me in. He normally lets things go in a couple of days or at least tells me what the hell he’s thinking but it’s been radio silence. Please hyung, help me.”

 

Yoongi his l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter