Double Helix

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Betcha never thought there would be another update so soon ^^ Hehe

I hope that you all enjoy this because SUGAKOOKIE IS FINALLY COMMUNICATING! Effectively? Well, you'll have to see for yourself.

I know I had said 100% Sugakookie in my last post, but I wanted to clarify that was in reference to them finally being present fully in a chapter. There are parts to this chapter that is not strictly sugakookie but it's only for a short period!

 

TaeTae 2:31AM: *HolyGrailofTwinkies.jpg*

 

TaeTae 2:31AM: Still waiting for that apology

 

The sleep-ridden man with crusties still clinging to his lashes, scrunched his nose as he chuckled at the messages he had missed from his best friend. Shaking his head a few times he set his phone on his chest and rubbed his eyes. The impromptu day off of work had been despite the hangover really relaxing. Taehyung and he had fallen right back into step with each other. It felt nice to be able to talk to his friend. He really had missed the older man even if he got teased almost constantly. It was as if the time apart led to Taehyung having all this pent-up energy that was reserved specifically for teasing Jeon Jungkook. He didn’t mind though, he always got his hyung back even if it wasn’t at that exact moment.

 

Raising his arms above his head and twisting his torso to the left, Jungkook lengthened himself, stretching. His phone sliding off his chest into the sheets in the process. Unlike yesterday, it was actually morning and he would have the whole day to himself. Now that there was real food in his fridge he could get back to food prep for the entire week. Jungkook had gotten off track thanks to his mental health being in a bit of a mess. Stress could do that to you and it didn’t help one bit when you let stress start to rule you. Overthinking things, it was a bad habit he had yet to master.

 

Curling up more tightly in his cocoon of sheets, Jungkook was not ready to leave the comfort of the warmth he had created throughout the night. He grabbed his phone and typed out a quick reply to Taehyung that just told him to keep dreaming. No way was he about to apologize to an inanimate object not even if it was edible. Not to mention, Twinkies did not deserve that kind of respect. Though he would never forget the day that Taehyung found out about the news that Twinkies were going to stop being made. He went into a complete frenzy and might have actually pulled some hair out in his desperation of ordering a ridiculous amount of boxes of that godforsaken sugary hell. Then the day when he barged into Jungkook’s apartment using the emergency key just to wake him up from a dead sleep to excitedly tell him that Twinkies were coming back. The man was obsessed and it wasn’t healthy.

 

Jungkook exited out of the chat and looked at the list of other chats he had. Yoongi hyung’s name was still there. How many times had he opened his messages just to close them again? One too many times. Taehyung’s words from yesterday replayed in his mind.




 

“Call him.”

 

“Who?”

 

A heavy sigh, “Yoongi hyung. He let me play hero but you should thank him. He helped you not me.”

 

The urge to whine settled in his throat. “Tae, he didn’t want me to know it was him. Shouldn’t we respect that?”

 

“He let me take the glory because I whined to him for a week about how to fix things with you, you dimwit. Coward.”

 

“... Fine.”

 

A finger menacingly waved in Jungkook’s face, “I know if you didn’t Jungkook. I have contacts.”

 

He rolled his eyes, “You mean you’ll ask Yoongi.”


 

His finger pressed onto Yoongi’s name and there he was for what felt like the millionth time since he had waltzed back into his hyung’s life without any real regard for his feelings, staring at their last message from more than a month ago. There were still a lot of things that Jungkook was confused about. To the point that he had even gotten confused over what he was confused about. He still struggled with wanting to give his hyung the space they had previously established. A part of him felt bad for breaking that silent promise they had made and he was struggling to move past it. Yoongi had told him to call him if he needed anything, Taehyung was telling him to call him almost every chance he got but he didn’t think any of them realized just how hard that was for him. How scary it was. How much he thought he might break if he ed things up for the second time.

 

It was hard enough watching his hyung walk away from everything they had the first time but what else could he do when he didn’t feel the same way? Yoongi had always been his older brother, even more of an older brother than, Junghyun, his biological one. Junghyun had always been a good brother but they had always been in different circles without enough of them overlapping to be very close. He knew Junghyun would always have his back and loved him unconditionally, as he did for Junghyun in the same respect but they didn’t talk much. Even less with both of them out of their parents' house.

 

Yoongi hyung though, he had always been a constant. He had been the one to push him towards his love of music and dance, the one who never missed a show that Jungkook performed in, the first to congratulate him, the first to give words that were other than praise. Constructive criticism that meant more to him than blind praises. The one that wouldn’t blink an eye at Jungkook crawling through his window at four in the morning beaten and bruised because he thought he was a badass but was just going through a rebellious stage. Also, the one who let him crawl through his window at four in the morning and not ask questions even though Jungkook knew he could feel the mattress shaking due to the tears that were sliding down his face over whatever teenage angst he had been going through. Jungkook wasn’t naive, he knew that he had a good life, parents who loved and provided for him scolded him appropriately but everyone has hard times no matter how trivial they might seem to others. The person he could spend hours in the same room with doing completely different things, not even talking but being the most fun he had. Jungkook may call Taehyung his best friend, and he is, but Yoongi hyung had always been more than that. He was someone that well, Jungkook didn’t really have a name for him. A soulmate maybe? Weren’t those always lovers though? And herein lies the problem. Everything had been platonic, felt platonic, had been just Yoongi and Jungkook, the normal. Did he want to hold Yoongi’s hand? They did that already but it just was. It was normal. No other meaning behind it. Or so Jungkook had always thought it was.

 

Somehow he was always led back to these thoughts whenever Yoongi got brought up. Things happened for a reason. He believed that. Which means their three-year separation and he had every reason to be hesitant to reach out again. To not want to hurt Yoongi again. To not want to hurt himself. To be in denial. To be a coward.

 

His rehashing with Taehyung of the other nights' events had led to a realization that Jungkook wasn’t very comfortable with. That he didn’t fully understand and as Taehyung said made him a coward. Jungkook knew Yoongi hyung. He knew him probably better than anyone else did but he had never ever been able to pick him out of a picture with a single body part. He wanted to argue that the double helix was unique to Yoongi but many people had them in the grand scheme of things and that alone was not enough to be able to decipher from an out of focus image that one was Min Yoongi. If it had been his left wrist that he always wore a silver bracelet on then sure, that would be reasonable. It wasn’t. It was an ear and that was really freaking weird. The level of detail that he now remembered about his hyung’s face was kind of alarming. It was weird and he didn’t like it. The only explanation he could draw was that it showed just how much he had missed his hyung.

 

Me 11:44AM: Can we talk?

 

The buzz of his phone indicated a new message. Jungkook didn’t expect a reply so quickly, the other always seemed to leave him hanging for hours on end in the past. Generally, because Yoongi had always been in his studio where no world but his music existed.

 

Yoongi hyung 11:46AM: Shoot, kid

 

Kid? A frown settled on his face. He wasn’t a kid and hadn’t been for quite some time now.

 

Me 11:46AM: I wanted to

 

Yoongi hyung 11:46AM: huh?

 

Me 11:47AM:  I didn’t mean to hit send so soon. Thank you.

 

Me 11:47AM: I wanted to thank you

 

Jungkook rubbed a hand over his face. He sounded like an idiot. Hah, he was an idiot. How did he even hit the send button before finishing his message? This was going well. He gently slapped his cheeks with both hands a few times. Why was he so nervous? He had talked to Yoongi so many times before.

 

This wasn’t anything different.

 

Nothing had changed.

 

He hadn’t changed…




 

Yoongi sipped his steaming cup of coffee yet didn’t even flinch when he burned the roof of his mouth. Instead, his frown deepened as his dark eyes continued to stare at the screen of his phone. The snapping of fingers brought him out of his haze. Glancing up he saw the silver hair of the man in front of him before settling on meeting his eyes.

 

“What?”

 

“Your look of displeasure is tainting the taste of my coffee. I know you didn’t want to help me shop for my mother’s birthday gift but you know how impossible she is to buy for.”

 

Yoongi crossed his leg over his other leg while leaning further back into his chair as he watched his semi-distressed dongsaeng in front of him. It was a little amusing how much stress finding a birthday gift put the otherwise calm man.

 

“No Joon, your mom is easy to buy for. You just think you have to get the perfect gift every year. She would happy with a napkin full of your snot if you said that you designed it just for her.”

 

Namjoon wrinkled his nose in disgust.

 

“That’s disgusting hyung.”

 

Yoongi just shrugged and took another sip of his too hot coffee and let it warm the inside of his esophagus.

 

“Maybe, but it’s true. I know you love your mom, I mean I do too but Joon it’s just a gift. Write her a nice letter and she’ll be ecstatic.”

 

“Okay, okay, but that still doesn’t change the fact that you’re tainting this delicious vanilla latte with your ugly face.”

 

The elder scoffed, leaning forward he rested his elbow on his thigh and waved his index finger in a circle at his face,

 

“I’ll have you know, this face is the 8th wonder of this world, known for its immense beauty.”

 

Namjoon threw his head back in laughter.

 

“Seokjin and you are more alike than you want to admit hyung. , that was exactly something he would say. Gotta tell him this.” He whipped his phone out and began typing away at the speed of light.

 

“Really though, what’s up?”

 

Chewing on the inside of his cheek, Yoongi debated on how to reply to the younger. He wasn’t sure if it was worth ruining the mood to mention that it was Jeon Jungkook. It always was, wasn’t it? No, it wasn’t. Hadn’t been for the past year really but that didn’t matter. Joon wouldn’t see it that way. Storm clouds would come rolling in. However, they didn’t lie to each other. It was one of the first things they established as friends after the tornado that was three years ago. No lying. Yoongi had stuck to his end of the bargain and he had no doubt that Namjoon had as well. That didn’t mean that he wanted to have this fight though.

 

“Just some things on my mind.”

 

It wasn’t a lie but it wasn’t a truth. The edge in his friend’s eye made Yoongi squirm slightly. He was stalling for time and Namjoon was more than aware of that.

 

“I’d let that slide if your phone hadn’t just been buzzing l like a page for an on-call doctor.”

 

Setting his coffee cup down onto the black round table they were sitting at, Yoongi looked out the window onto the streets of Seoul on a Saturday morning. Just as busy as it always ways but for the most part the people appeared a little more relaxed. Not all but some. That must be nice. He had a feeling that Taehyung hadn’t been able to keep his mouth shut even though he had told him to in not so many words. The man wasn’t dumb, he could read between the lines. Letting out a small sigh he turned back to the table and picked up his phone, re-reading Jungkook’s last message.

 

Me 11:56AM: You're being weird kid. You’re welcome

 

The drumming of fingernails on wood pulled Yoongi out of his thoughts and back to the present once more. Right, Namjoon was waiting.

 

“I told- helped, I helped Taehyung with something and it looks like I’m dealing with the consequences now.”

 

Cryptic but the truth. Namjoon was slowly nodding and then Yoongi’s phone vibrated against the table once more. Nope, twice more. He frowned again and Namjoon openly stared at the device. Yoongi picked the phone up and opened Jungkook’s messages. If it wasn’t for the fact that he just wanted to get this over with, he would have silenced the phone and put it in his pocket.

 

Jungkook 11:57AM: No hyung. I want to thank u.. Properly.

 

Jungkook 11:57AM: And why do u keep calling me kid 

 

In an attempt to muffle his reaction, Yoongi ended up snorting. He could feel Namjoon examining every inch of this exchange so he really needed to wrap it up.

 

Me 11:57AM: Because you’re pouting right now

 

Me 11:57AM: Fine

 

Jungkook 11:58AM: …

 

Jungkook 11:58AM: Am not

 

Jungkook 11:58AM: Lambskewers? Our place.. in an hour?

 

Our place.

 

Namjoon observed this exchange silently from his seat but his curiosity and suspicion grew as the shine in Yoongi’s eyes had changed. They had always been the key to figuring out what the man was feeling whilst he wore a poker face. He was happy about something.

 

Me 11:58AM: k

 

Promptly silencing his phone and sliding it into the pocket of his black skinny jeans, Yoongi focused on the reason he was in this coffee shop. A reward for getting through the eight stores that Namjoon had dragged him through just to find the butterfly brooch he had found in the first store they went to. His mother liked to pin them to her scarves in the fall and winter. It was a pretty piece to be added to her collection.

 

“Look Joonie, I’m going to have to leave soon.”

 

An eyebrow raise and three long swallows of his latte later, his friend nodded. It was indication enough that for today at least he wouldn’t pester his hyung for an answer. Yoongi was thankful for that. He would rather be able to finish this chapter before having to explain things to Namjoon than not really have an answer as to what was going on. Sure, Jungkook wanted to meet but that didn’t mean that much was going to occur. He personally didn’t think that a meal was necessary but he didn’t have the strength to argue and it’s not like he didn’t want to see how the younger was holding up considering the way that he had left him.

 

“Yeah, I have to go help Seokjin with his new cage for the sugar gliders he bought. I already told him that I’m not taking care of them for him so he better figure it out.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter