Liquid Courage

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After that morning squabble with Namjoon in the studio, life had gone back to normal. Yoongi and Namjoon managed to finish one of the tracks they had been working on for unfortunately the last couple of months. He went to the radio station Sunday through Thursday from 7 pm to 7 am. He managed the music to keep the night owls company and the ones who were forced to be night owls coffee aid in keeping those peepers wide awake. Luckily for him, he was able to play Hip Hop and R&B. It had taken awhile before he was able to get the gig that he currently had and prior to he had been playing pop, all the top hits which while not completely terrible, was not his passion.

 

Yoongi was genuinely happy with his job now at the radio station. He had to admit that some days it was hard because the majority of people and businesses functioned during the day yet he was the most functioning at night. It caused some difficulties here and there but Yoongi wouldn’t actually trade his job for anything else. He made a decent living, while still having time to work on his own side projects at his leisure. It was a pretty good life. He didn’t often have many exciting things going on but that would be one of the reasons that the man was more of an introvert. He preferred quiet and calm atmospheres, fewer people and more music. He didn’t mind being holed up and in his head all day. It was the most comforting at times. Plus he had to admit that he was good company to keep so why wouldn’t he enjoy his own?

 

Flicking a few knobs, pressing a few buttons and then he could set his headphones down on the table in front of him. Dropping his head back on the headrest, Yoongi closed his eyes and rubbed his temples. He was tired. Seven in the morning took a lot longer to come this time around. Pressing his hands onto the wood table, Yoongi stood up not bothering to cover his yawn as he turned towards his chair, pulling his army green bomber jacket off the back and slipping his arms through the sleeves. Gripping the zipper that lined both sides of the jacket he shook it a few times before weaving his way through the studio to leave. It was Jongjin’s shift now and he couldn’t be happier. He bowed his head in respect upon his leave and wished the man good luck.

 

“Get some rest, Yoongi.”

 

He waved a hand in acknowledgment as he was already at the door, shutting it behind him. Yoongi moved quickly to escape the building he had been cooped up in for twelve hours, just to go to another building and coop up for hopefully another twelve hours. At least the place he was on his way to had a comfy mattress, clean sheets, warm comforter and a fluffy pillow. Yes, his bed was serenading him, leading him home and the man was happy to oblige. Pushing open the glass doors, the skin around Yoongi’s eyes crinkled as the sun shone upon his face. He blinked a few times as he squinted through the brightness. Stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets, his left hand found his iPhone and pulled it out as he shuffled down the street. Taking care to weave around the busy people who were barrelling down the sidewalks in a rush to start their days.

 

He missed a few messages. Two from Namjoon and one from Seokjin and ugh, a missed call from his mother. Don’t get him wrong, Yoongi loved his mother but once you got her on the phone it was so hard to get her off. She could talk anyone's ear off and he may have a soft spot and find it extremely difficult to say no to his mother. That might be why every year nearing the holidays he goes on at least one blind date. Which doesn’t make any sense because Min Yoongi isn’t what a pretty intelligent Korean woman wants. At least that was what he had given up telling his mother. She would just list off all of his good qualities. Which was sweet but he had to tune her out. Yoongi mentally made a note to make sure he called his mother later this weekend. If he called her now he might snip, he was well aware that when he was tired, he was grumpy. It was something he had never been able to quit even when he was a child. His mother loved to remind him that when he was a tot she had to place him in front of the television and just leave him alone for an hour before even attempting to talk with him if she wanted him to be pleasant.

Even so, he shot her a quick text to let her know that he was well, just got out of work and that after he slept some he would give her a call unless it was an emergency. He knew it wasn’t but he liked to include that just as a small reminder so his mother didn’t think he was just blowing him off. Not bothering to look at the other messages the blonde found himself in front of his apartment door. Pulling out his keys, Yoongi flitted through the metal keys until he found the bronze one that matched his door. Pushing it into the slot, he turned it, unlocking the door. As soon as his feet passed the threshold, the shoes came off, keys tossed onto the dish he always let hold his keys. Sliding into the kitchen, yes sliding, because Yoongi had a habit that he let his socked feet slide along any slippery surface, wood, laminate, tile, any.

 

He grabbed a glass from the above cabinet, setting it on the counter next to the refrigerator. Upon opening the door, he looked into the sad inside of what was supposed to contain food. There wasn’t much there but, there was his filtered water. Pulling out the pitcher, he poured himself a glass and then returned it to its rightful place. Letting the fridge door shut by itself, he picked up his glass and practically skated out of the kitchen and into his bedroom. For whatever reason, he was much too tired today to bother with showering. Some might find that disgusting but Yoongi didn’t give a . It was his bed, his sheets and no one was sharing so what did it matter? It didn’t. He also hadn’t run a marathon or played football earlier. Setting his glass down on the nightstand, Yoongi’s eyes caught a glimpse of the note that he couldn’t seem to throw away.

 

Staring at it for a moment more, Yoongi turned away and ignored Jungkook’s words yet again. Stripping out of his clothes, he tossed each item into the laundry basket that sat in the corner next to his dresser. Once he was just in his briefs, he slipped underneath the covers of his bed and curled up on his side, set his iPhone on the nightstand and fumbled for the charging cord. It took a few moments but he found it and plugged in the phone. Double checked that his usual alarms were set so he could get up and do some things. Maybe actually see a friend later that night. Laying his head on his pillow Yoongi wanted his brain to shut off. Instead, it ran over the last line of the note Jungkook had left him from that morning two months ago.

 

He should have thrown it out the day he had read the note but somehow it had found it’s way from the kitchen to the living room coffee table, to his dresser and finally his nightstand. It was a constant reminder that Jungkook would like to reconnect. Keep in contact once more. It was a battle for Yoongi to remember that of course Jungkook would because it wasn’t him who had cut off contact. It was Yoongi. It was him who had been selfish and put his feelings first, who ranted like a five-year-old, essentially stormed out and never contacted the other again. Letting out a huff, Yoongi rolled over onto his left side, punched his pillow a few times and then laid his head back down. Practically squeezing his eyes shut which he knew wasn’t going to help him fall asleep.

 

The annoyance he felt towards himself was just growing, like that beanstalk in that fairytale. Much too quick and much too large. Namjoon had told him time and time again that he had done the right thing. That he had, in fact, acted the exact opposite of a petulant brat and that his feelings needed to be expressed to Jungkook so the other man would finally understand. At times he believed Namjoon and at other times he couldn’t shake the feeling that he had just been brash and made a mistake. Tonight was one of those nights or mornings? Who knew what it was his sleep schedule had been royally ed years ago.

 

The radio DJ wished he had his headphones on right now. It was soothing and to think just an hour ago he had been yearning to go home. Funny how life worked like that. These thoughts hadn’t plagued him for two years and the recurrence of him had brought them all back. It was frustrating. So frustrating that he wanted to punch a wall and was quite glad that he was lying in his bed with no walls to punch. The image of Jungkook’s bright grin and twinkling eyes with the adorable crows feet decorating his face, had Yoongi’s heart yearning for something he had trained it not to yearn for.

 

Air billowed out of Yoongi’s lips once more. There was no way he was going to be able to sleep like this. He knew it very well. His body was tense and honestly, he could use about ten massages just to get out one knot. Something Jungkook had been really great at giving.

 

“Aw .”

 

Those thoughts were not the ones he wanted to cross his mind. He was supposed to be clearing his mind, enjoying the life he had built without the presence of another and now it was like he was a lovesick puppy all over again. Too many things were able to remind him of Jungkook. Two months had gone by and the er punch to his gut he had received with the memories of how much he enjoyed the younger’s company and how much he had missed Jungkook hadn’t faded. The brat’s laugh would still ring in his ears from time to time. He started to wonder if he was going crazy because it just didn’t make any sense as to how clearly he could still hear it.

 

Jungkook did say that he could call him anytime he wanted.

 

But…

 

Did he really want to go down that path again?

 

Yes… No… No, he really didn’t. That was the absolute worst idea he ever had. He didn’t really want to do that. Except that he did. Yoongi wanted it so bad that he had been losing, even more, hours of sleep than he normally did. The mini setup in the guest room for a makeshift home studio is where he spent the majority of his sleepless nights. If only he hadn’t been productive but it had been the opposite. Yoongi had been the most productive with his own music than he ever had been since the reappearance of Jungkook in his life for those few hours. He had written five songs and had two of them completed, two of them halfway done and one of them at least had a base beat to work with. Prior to, he hadn’t even finished more than three-fourths of a set of lyrics before he ripped out the page in his notebook, crumpled it up and tossed it in the trash bin next to his desk.

 

This was something he hadn’t mentioned to his friends. Namjoon would frown, warnings swimming along the tip of his tongue and Seokjin… Well, Seokjin would just give him pools of sympathy in his gaze and that . Yoongi didn’t want to see that ever again. His productivity was a good thing and it wasn’t because of Jeon Jungkook.

 

That was what he liked to tell himself.

 

His lyrics though…

 

They told another story.

 

Turning over roughly, Yoongi grabbed his phone and saw that he had been lying in his bed for two hours and a half hours now, still not asleep. He let out a groan as he opened his contacts and let his fingers hover over Jungkook’s name in his phonebook. He wanted to press it but something held him back. After another internal struggle and Namjoon’s voice floating through his head he exited out of his contact list and tossed his phone back on the nightstand. Rubbing both his hands over his face, Yoongi sighed for the umpteenth time that night. Reaching for his phone once more, he opened up the media player and set a timer. Pressing play on one of his many playlists, he let the soft music sink into his every pore and hopefully lull him into a deep slumber.

 

One where he wouldn’t have to admit to himself that the playlist he was playing… No, he wasn’t going there. Sleep was on the fringe and he was going to follow.


 

A bull horn blowing is the sound that should have roused the blonde from his slumber. As that was what he had his alarms set to. It was beyond loud and annoying but it was one of the only things that would do the trick on especially bad nights. Instead, a rush of coldness overtook his body and Yoongi instantly shrunk into himself, curling up in the fetal position while one of his arms searched for his blankets. He growled in annoyance, but kept his eyes shut not ready to face the reality that was becoming clearer and clearer as each second ticked by.

 

A loud smack sounded off his backside followed by a gravelly, “You er!” his hand found his left cheek and rubbed the sting out of it. If it wasn’t for the fact that Yoongi was still half asleep he would have known exactly who had assaulted him in his own home and own bed.

 

“Ah, ah! That’s not how you speak to your elder is it?”

 

Peeking an eye open, only confirmed that the voice he heard had indeed belonged to none other than Kim Seokjin. Namjoon’s annoying boyfriend. Yoongi actually knew Seokjin before Namjoon but whenever he was annoyed he revoked any association with the man. Now was one of those times.

 

“ that hurt. Shouldn’t you be reserving that for someone else’s ? Don’t bring your kinks into my home.”

 

The chuckles from his hyung were being interrupted by another voice that could only belong to his best friend. He couldn’t hear just what Namjoon had said but he was sure that the younger was embarrassed. Opening both eyes, Yoongi sat up with the speed of light, snatching his blankets back and covering his entire body, head included.

 

“See yourselves out, I’m goin’ back to bed.”

 

If the blonde thought that they would just follow his words then he would be a fool and Min Yoongi was no fool. However, that didn’t mean he didn’t hope that for once, for once, that nosy couple would just heed his words.

 

They didn’t.

 

“Hyung, get up. We told you to be ready forty-five minutes ago and now we’re late.”

 

Silence filled the room as Yoongi tried to recall what his dongsaeng was even saying. Slowly he lowered the sheet from over his head and pulled it underneath his chin, looking at the two men standing next to his bed.

 

“What bull are you spouting? Late for what?”

 

Namjoon sighed and Seokjin rolled his eyes. Reaching for the phone that was resting on the nightstand. Seokjin quickly unlocked Yoongi’s phone, it didn’t have a password on it after all. He quickly navigated it to open KakaoTalk before promptly shoving the too bright screen in Yoongi’s face.

 

Flinching at the death beam in his eyes, he squinted at the screen trying to get his eyes to adjust to what was being upon him.

 

“You didn’t even open Namjoonie’s message. Jesus, Yoongi. I told you I love you more babe.” A smack could be heard and Yoongi caught the motion of Namjoon’s arm falling back to his side. It made his lips twitch in the tiniest smile. Seokjin could be really ridiculous sometimes but at least he knew that he was being so.

 

“Inseong’s birthday party is tonight. We tried to remind you.”

 

Pushing himself up, Yoongi finally sat up and ran his hand through his hair, ruffling the blonde silky locks and grabbing his phone from Seokjin with his other hand. Opening the messages in their group chat, he finally saw them.

 

Joon 7:05 am: Yoongs, don’t forget Inseong’s party tonight

Joon 7:07 am: Be ready by 9

Jin 7:11 am: We’ll drop by and pick you up. Wear your leather ;)

 

His leather? Yoongi wanted to cringe, it reminded him when his mother had tried to give him the talk and kept saying he had to put his raincoat on and don’t forget a rubber. It was awkward. So very awkward. In this case, Seokjin was referring to his leather jacket but that was not the point.

 

“When will you stop calling me that?” He grumbled to Namjoon about the nickname he had acquired over the years but hated.

 

“Yoongs? When you stop writing music.”

 

“So, before hell freezes over. Great.”

 

The couple was still standing next to Yoongi’s bed. Namjoon had an annoying smirk on his face over the nickname, while Seokjin’s fingers were drawing dangerously close to a piece of paper that Yoongi really didn’t want him to see. After rubbing his face, he caught the movement out of the corner of his eye and he deftly swiped the paper. He didn’t give a that it looked suspicious, he couldn’t afford to listen to another lecture. Seokjin and Yoongi exchanged looks while Namjoon looked on in curiosity but the two men let it go.

 

“Out or I’ll never get ready.”

 

He pointed a long finger at his bedroom door and the couple followed his direction. Not without Seokjin giving Yoongi another look that made him uncomfortable. The elder may have seen more than Yoongi would have liked.

 

“.”

 

He muttered under his breath as he shoved the covers aside, swinging his legs over the be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter