Sleeping Beauty

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This took as is the theme much too long to post. Unfortunately, this was prolonged more than it would have if some events hadn't transpired. Jonghyun's passing affected me much more than I had ever imagined it would. I miss him, am healing and I hope that everyone else who knew and love him is as well. He will always be remembered and forever loved. Christmas! Oh Christmas, just saying I hope you all had a wonderful one. I was able to visit my family whom I really only get to see once a year now that I've moved to a different state and the previous Christmas I was so sick all I did was sleep and barely saw them so this year, I took the time to really be with my family. When I write I block out the entire world, no eating, drinking, rarely a bathroom break, I just get lost. And then finally work. Good lord, was work and it still is really crazy busy with getting back. It's been insane. So, yes, excuses but at least it gives you a small view as to why I haven't updated.

 

There was a warmth beneath Jungkook’s fingertips, it spread along his bare chest and it was only natural for him to burrow even deeper into this feeling. The grogginess of deep sleep slowly slipping away made it hard for him to recognize much of his surroundings except by the feeling of being safe, comfortable, warm and relaxed. He leaned into a touch he didn’t know was there and the muffled chuckle of a voice that couldn’t be coming from anything but his dreamworld scratched the surface of waking the man from his slumber. Jungkook mumbled incoherent words that probably didn’t even make a sentence but the annoyance at the interruption was prevalent. This only increased that scratching at his door, eyes fluttering for half a second before promptly closing once more. His consciousness was swarming back in and with it, sense of dizziness one only received upon drinking too heavily. The dizziness that claimed you whether your eyes were open or closed but somehow it was still easier with them shut.

 

Groaning a little louder, he his parched lips in an attempt to bring an oasis to the desert he was swallowed in. Fingers worked their way through his chestnut locks and this time Jungkook was able to recognize that someone was with him, embracing him.

 

“Is Sleeping Beauty finally awakening from his eternal slumber? Man, I didn’t even get to give you a kiss yet.”

 

The rumble in the other man’s chest shook Jungkook but he wasn’t nearly as amused with the other person as they were. A clenched fist pounded rather pathetically against the person he was lying on top of.

 

“Ot unny… Tae,”

 

The shaking increased which only caused the younger to groan in discomfort. The room was spinning and the steady pounding of a drum inside his head had begun.

 

“Uh, could you repeat that?”

 

He didn’t need to repeat it, the jerk that he called his best friend was being a . Jungkook wanted to make the least amount of movement possible but he also wanted to get rid erupting volcano beside him. Rolling over to the opposite side of the bed, Jungkook tried to settle dizziness and collect his thoughts. That was a lot harder than he thought. Focusing on anything but relaxing so the dizziness would stop didn’t seem like it would be a task accomplished anything soon. That was until one thought popped up. Work.

 

“! What time is it? , I’m late. We’re late.”

 

Throwing the covers aside, Jungkook sprung up out of bed. He made it out of bed but he didn’t quite make it onto his feet. No, he lost his equilibrium upon sitting up and before he could fully stand his foot slipped and he tumbled out of bed. The laughter that erupted didn’t help the younger male in any way, shape or form but to annoy him more. Sitting up, he tossed his arm onto the bed, his head popping up over it to see his best friend sitting in his bed, head was thrown back in laughter. Daggers would pierce him right in the throat right now if they could be shot from Jungkook’s eyes.

 

“Why are you just sitting there? It’s twelve. Why didn’t you wake me up? What the , hyung?!” Pulling himself up, Jungkook stood on his feet finally but more than wobbled over to his dresser, he certainly didn’t walk in a straight line. Gripping the dark cherry wood he tried to gather his balance once more before yanking open one of the drawers to pull out a fresh pair of briefs and then an undershirt. ties today, he would have to go without one. Glancing over his shoulder as Jungkook shuffled over to his closet, he had to look twice. Was Taehyung still just sitting on his bed as relaxed as can be.

 

“Don’t break your neck Kookie. I already contacted your boss as well as mine. Hope you don’t mind dipping into your sick time. I know you’re Superman and save that to never be used and have five million hours rolled over but eight of it is gone now.”

 

The clothes that Jungkook held, slipped from his fingers as he just stared at Taehyung. Partly in disbelief and partly because the room was spinning and he needed to ground himself. Why had he drunk so much alcohol the night before? That was very unusual for him. Especially when he was alone. Or he thought he was. When had Taehyung got here? They weren’t exactly speaking at the moment. Sheepishly, he averted his eyes, guilt flooding his body at these thoughts. And whose fault was it that you’re not talking to your best friend, Jungkook? Yourself. Sighing to himself, he didn’t bother to pick up the clothes because that would just cause another wave of unpleasantness that he really didn’t want to experience. It was bad enough that the nausea was starting to settle in his stomach as well.

 

Walking slowly, Jungkook stretched out a hand on the end of the bed and slowly crawled on top.

 

“You should have said that first.”

 

Taehyung just continued to smile fondly at the younger. He pats the spot beside him and Jungkook didn’t hesitate but crawled directly to the spot next to Taehyung. He laid his head down on the man’s thighs.

 

“Ugh, I feel like .”

 

Taehyung’s large hand was back in the man’s hair. It was a habit that neither of them knew how to curb but didn’t really try either.

 

“Yeah, you look it. Got Alfalfa hair. Not to mention those bags under your eyes and how pale-”

 

“I got it, Tae. I feel and look like .” More laughter but this time Jungkook joined in a little too.

 

“Why are you here? I went to the bar alone last night.”

 

He hummed and replied cautiously, Taehyung wasn’t really sure if Yoongi had wanted the other male to know that he was there. As much as he felt it would do them some good to see each other again he didn’t want to press the man. He did respect Yoongi even if he had tried to seduce him upon their first meeting in years.

 

“To take care of your stupid drunk . Why did you even drink, Kookie?”

 

As if it was a turn-based MMORPG, Jungkook hummed being cautious on how he replied. It was a fair question to ask. He still wasn’t sure how Taehyung was here but it wasn’t so out of character for Jungkook to have drunk dialed him the previous night so Jungkook didn’t really question it.

 

“Ah! You should take those pills hyu- uh the ibuprofen. It’ll help.”

 

He reached over to gather the medicine and the glass of water that had been placed there the night before, Jungkook lifted his head and hovered above Taehyung’s thigh until the man settled back down. A hand smacked his shoulder.

 

“You can’t take this while lying down. Sit up.”

 

Jungkook groaned and pouted but did as he was instructed to do. He shouldn’t complain too much because ibuprofen really would be heavenly in about thirty minutes once it started to kick in. At least with a headache. The nausea and dizziness well, he’d have to let that pass when it passed.

 

A glass was pressed into his hands and pills up against his lips. Opening his mouth he just allowed Taehyung to baby him. It was kind of amusing actually. Five gulps later and the water was completely gone. It was amazing how once you had just a drop of water coat your tongue that you became as thirsty as a runner after a marathon. Wiping his mouth on the back of his hand, Taehyung took the glass for him and allowed him to lie back down on his lap, followed directly by his fingers running through Jungkook’s locks once more.

 

“You’re the reason.”

 

“Huh?”

 

A sigh, “I went to have a drink because I was upset about us..you know, not talking and such.”

 

Heat flushed through his cheeks, he was embarrassed to be admitting this to Taehyung but if the elder noticed he didn’t comment on it. Jungkook was thankful for that. Despite all of his teasing and playing around Taehyung really knew how to be a good friend. He knew when to be compassionate, understanding, respect the others distance and even kick him in the behind when he needed it. Sure, sometimes Taehyung would push a little too hard but he generally only did that if the man was truly worried about the other.

 

The two sat in a contemplative silence. Each lost in their own minds deciding what they should say when they should say it, if they should let the other talk first. In the end, Taehyung spoke first but only to prod the conversation along, a helping hand.

 

“Did you find what you were looking for?”

 

Jungkook snorted at the question while his fingers searched for the sheets. Taehyung noticed and helped, pulling them up and around the younger.

 

“Does drinking ever find the answers?”

 

Taehyung shrugged with a small smile but they both knew there was more to this question than if Jungkook found his answers in the bottom of a bottle.

 

“Yes and no.” he his lips, hesitance. He could still feel Taehyung’s long fingers curling his hair around them and uncurling and curling again. A wave of calm washed over him. It was something that a simple habit of his friends had turned into such a soothing mechanic for Jungkook.

 

“Sorry, TaeTae.”

 

The man above him nodded, accepting the apology without a second glance. Jungkook couldn’t see him nodding though. It was okay though, he still had more to say and Taehyung had been expecting it.

 

“I…”

 

Pulling in a large breath of air, he released it heavily.

 

“I was jealous.”

 

Taehyung’s fingers stopped playing with strands of the youngers hair. He removed his hand altogether. Jungkook refused to look up to see why the man had stopped. He knew that he would lose all of his nerves if he looked at the other man’s face right now. Two white teeth pressed their way into Jungkook’s bottom lip, waiting in anxiety for the next move. It felt like an hour had passed but the warmth of his friend’s hand returned, this time him gently. As if he was trying to silently tell him, that it was okay, that Taehyung wasn’t upset with him, didn’t hold it against him, that he understood. Releasing his bottom lip from what had turned into a death grip, the pain throbbed for a few moments in his lip before receding as if it had never existed in the first place. Pulling the sheet up higher, Jungkook tucked it underneath his chin.

 

“I was jealous that you were with hyung, not just saw him in passing but were hanging out with him. That he was with you. That-that he won’t even talk with me but gets in b-bed with you.”

 

With each passing moment, the words the younger spoke got quieter and quieter. Taehyung could hear him though, it was silent in the cocoon they had made for themselves in Jungkook’s bed. Just the two of them, quiet, calm or it had been calm. Jungkook’s heart had sped up, just talking about his jealousy and unspoken fears gave him anxiety. He didn’t like it but the one moment of clarity he had from the night before was that Taehyung deserved to understand why Jungkook hadn’t been talking to him.

 

“I’m sorry for ignoring you. It was… childish but I didn’t know. Ugh, I just didn’t know what to say to you when I wasn’t even sure exactly what I was so annoyed about, ya know?”

 

Taehyung began nodding but stopped abruptly.

 

“I get it. And I forgive you. I missed you, Bunny.”

 

The curl of Jungkook’s thin lips upward couldn’t be stopped but he was happy that his hyung couldn’t see that he was smiling over the affection term that had been given to him so many years ago. He would never tell the other but in times where he needed great comfort, that was one of the sure fire ways to calm him. He enjoyed the pet name more than he’d ever let on.

 

“I missed you too, hyung.”

 

The leg underneath Jungkook’s head shook slightly and his hyung’s rich chuckle filled the air.

 

“You really did if you just called me hyung. You’re always such a brat lacking in honorifics.”

 

This drew a giggle from Jungkook and he just shrugged his shoulders because he didn’t have any defenses to this accusatory statement. It was 100% true. He most certainly didn’t use honorifics with Taehyung but they had been friends for so long and the other man had let him get away with it one too many times. At some point, it became a habit. Every now and then he would use hyung but often he’d chose another affectionate name to call Taehyung and he never truly complained so… Jungkook hadn’t changed anything. Even now, there was no real bite in his hyung’s words.

 

A sharp pain in his torso made Jungkook jump and squeak in pain. Yes, Jeon Jungkook just squeaked in pain and now his best friend was howling with laughter.

 

“What kind of noise was that? If only Mihyun had heard it, she wouldn’t be swooning over how pretty yet manly you are all the time.”

 

Raising a brow, Jungkook leaned up onto his forearm, twisting his body so he could look up at his friend. This only garnered a hard stare from Taehyung to the younger.

 

“Jeon Jungkook don’t you dare sit here and tell me that you aren’t aware of what the women in your department chatter about you behind your back.”

 

He kept his brow raised in question. Taehyung stared at him for a moment more then began to shake his head back and forth.

 

“Go into the break room some time, preferably about 20 minutes after you first walk into your office. Oh, and do it on a day you forget your tie because you’re late and are wearing that translucent button up. Don’t even try to call that white.”

 

Jungkook just opened his mouth to object, closed it then opened it only to sigh and close it once more. He knew exactly what shirt that his friend was referring to and it was white! It just could be a little on the see-through side, especially when he wasn’t wearing an undershirt underneath.

 

“Whatever. I’m sure they have other things to talk about.”

 

Jungkook pushed himself all the way up and was pleasantly surprised that the dizziness had ebbed away. Nausea was still there but now he felt that was more to do with not having anything to eat in 18 hours. He ran his fingers through his hair. Ugh, he needed a shower and more water. God, he was thirsty. Really thirsty. He’d be drinking a gallon or more of water today. He wouldn’t put it past him, he had before. It was better if he did anyway. A question poked and prodded at him. He had been persistently ignoring it for a while now. Not just this morning… well, afternoon. He had slept past morning for sure.

 

“I’m gonna take a shower. Eat if you’re hungry. I’m sure there’s- oh… uh, eat if you can find something or we can go get something after I’m dressed.”

 

He had forgotten that he hadn’t actually gone grocery shopping last night. He was supposed to but went to the bar and here he was, next morning, hungover, no recollection of why or how Taehyung was still in his apartment and he definitely didn’t remember how he had made it home. Snippets were starting to come back but nothing truly cohesive. Jungkook took some more casual clothes with him into the bathroom connected to his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter