Irritable

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been six weeks since Jungkook forced his way into an old friend's house. It had been six weeks and 12 hours and still no messages from Yoongi. It had made the male irritable over the last couple of days. Jungkook’s mind kept going in two directions. One, Yoongi has to have my number he did text me before I came over. Two, what if he had deleted it after the elder had seen him. It was possible. Honestly, he had left his phone number in his note because in his anxiety of leaving such a note he forgot that Yoongi had text him not too long ago. It was silly and dumb but now his mind wouldn’t stop. 

 

Now that Jungkook had managed to enter into his hyung’s life for even just a small blip he didn’t want to leave again. Despite the fact that he knew better and he knew that he should abide by his hyung’s original wishes, there was still a thought that kept niggling in the back of his mind. He missed Yoongi for a variety of reasons. He missed the way he could sit and brood for as long as he liked without being asked what was wrong. That was unlike a certain best friend of him would do. He missed having someone to get lamb skewers with and he honestly hadn’t had any in years. He missed the funny way that Yoongi’s nose would crinkle up and he’d huff when he didn’t want to do something that was being asked of him or when someone would call him cute. Most often it was Jungkook calling him that. He missed how calming of a presence that Yoongi had. His friends were great but no one could send him waves of serenity just by being present in the room. He missed how they would bicker for thirty minutes over the silliest thing and then the next day bicker some more and then laugh about it or just move on as if that moment had never happened. Jungkook missed the way Yoongi’s eyes would crinkle around the edges when he was smiling so hard that you could see all of his pink gums. It was adorable, something he hadn’t told Yoongi but might some day. Well, he might if Yoongi would ever talk to him again. in a large breath he held onto it before exhaling harshly. Jungkook really hoped he would.

 

What happened to Hoseok? Well, thanks to the small meeting with his hyung, Jungkook was able to focus on something else. It had been a lot harder the first month because Hoseok had always been the first thing he thought of when he woke up, when he took his lunch break and would give the older male a call just to say hi but really to hear his voice and give him more energy to finish out the day. Being an accountant was rewarding in the way of money but not so much elsewhere. Luckily, Jungkook didn’t hate his job. He actually found it to be quite rewarding at times and enjoyed it more than he initially thought. Being the filial son, he followed his parents advice and here he was. He rented a good apartment, it was larger than his previous one but also in an older building, hence why he needed to have his front door re-painted. Another thing he was able to use as a distraction from Hoseok.

 

The day he spent with Taehyung, mainly on his couch being lazy movie and food binging bums is when he had come to terms with the fact that it was over. It had been over and despite the tragic way that he found it, he needed to accept what Hoseok had already accepted for the both of them. Jungkook did but that didn’t mean that he had to like the outcome. No, Hoseok had stomped on his heart in a way he hadn’t felt before. It was another lesson learned of what not to do in the realm of dating. Some days he missed his hyung more than others but that was natural. It had just about been two months and he was working on mending the wound, slowly. Since then he had just been doing the daily grind, work, eat, game, sleep. Sometimes he would go out for drinks with a few buddies or coworkers. Other times he’d be holed up watching anime on a binge in his bed for the entire weekend with chinese takeout filling up his fridge.

 

The sound of his phone buzzing violently on his desk had Jungkook shooting his hand out like the bullet train and scooping it swiftly off his sleek mahogany desk. He was so very thankful that he had his own office because otherwise that monstrosity of a noise would have disrupted everyone around him. Who the hell made these vibration settings for phones and why were they so intense?

 

“They might as well sell that model as a multipurpose for women.”

 

Whipping his head up from the screen of Jungkook’s phone, his hair flounced with the motion. His eyes fell upon a figure he hadn’t been expecting to see as they worked in the IT department and that was on an entirely different floor. His coworker pushed off of the doorjamb that he was leaning against and strolled into Jungkook’s office to promptly take a seat on the side of his desk. If it had been anyone else the brunette would have given them a dirty look instead he just sighed.

 

“You’re so crude Tae...but sadly you’re right. Should we go into another business?”

 

A megawatt smile was beaming at Jungkook from his best friend followed by a deep chuckle.

 

“Should we?” Two eyebrows wiggled at the younger and he couldn’t help but laugh and smack the back of his hand against Taehyung’s thigh.

 

“What do you want and why did you send me a text when you were already in my office?” he cocked a brow in curiosity as he waved his phone in between them.

 

Snatching it from the younger, Taehyung deftly began messing with different functions on the phone. Jungkook wasn’t really sure what he was doing but he didn’t oppose, he knew better. Whatever was about to happen he could just change later.

 

“I wanted to see how whipped you were for me.”

 

The answer rolled off his friend’s tongue so naturally but it made Jungkook gag.

 

“Seriously?”

 

His phone was placed on the desk in between the two with his lock screen visible. His new lock screen that is. It was a picture of Taehyung lounging across a couch, in one of his too big and cut along the right shoulder black shirts, making a ‘V’ with his fingers over his left eye. Jungkook scoffed while pointing at his phone, giving the elder an incredulous look. Honestly, the lock screen could have been much worse but that was beside the point at the moment.

 

“Sorry, did I say me? I meant Yoongi hyung.” A raise and drop of his shoulders, Taehyung spoke plainly,

 

“I look good.”

 

Shaking his head, Jungkook ran his index finger over the phone, swiping to the right ready to change the lock screen back to what he had it previously. It was a generic rain theme on his phone but it was nice and he liked it. The icons were all drops of rain and you know maybe it reflected his rainy heart or some like that, that he would never admit to.

 

“What the ?!”

 

The billowing laughter filled up Jungkook’s office and if the door hadn’t been closed would have surely spilled over into the hallways and other offices as a few kept their doors open. Taehyung had always been loud when he laughed. Right now was no exception. Especially not when he had his head thrown back and was leaning so far that he might actually topple off the desk in all of his rumbling. He had achieved the reaction he wanted.

 

“How did you even find this so quickly? You had my phone for less than five seconds.”

 

Jungkook held out the phone in Taehyung’s face as if the man needed to see what the image was and he hadn’t been the one to select it in the first place. Pulling it back he took another look at the image and then stuck it angrily right back in his friend’s face.

 

“It’s your fault for still having sleepy Yoongi hyung pics on your phone. Why do YOU still have them, huh?”

 

Taehyung was clutching his stomach as he continued to laugh some more at the shocked expression on his friend’s face. He had actually found the picture weeks ago when the two had a gaming session and Jungkook had run to the corner store to grab some more snacks but left his phone on accident. Neither of the two hid things from the other so bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter