Prologue

One Step Forward Two Steps Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’ll see you later tonight… Yeah, the same spot… I love you too, babe.”

 

The man removed the iPhone from his ear, pressed he end call button and slid the phone into his front pocket before turning around with a soft smile and dimple gracing his cheek. The rushed, quiet promises of the few sentences Jungkook heard paired with the quick turn around made the boy jump, dark brown eyes wide in surprise with goosebumps breaking out all over his body. Not only had he been caught but he didn’t even have an escape route. This hallway only had two ways you could go, in his case forward towards the room ahead or back down the way he came.

 

“I think I just heard something I wasn’t supposed to hear.”

 

His words slipped past him in a quiet breathiness that he hadn’t used since he last recorded his cover of Lost Stars by Adam Levine. Tiny pin pricks were attacking the back of his eye balls while his teeth ravaged his bottom lip in the habit he could never seem to break when he was nervous or stressed.

 

“K-Kook-ah…”

 

His voice was so soft, so much sympathy filled those two syllables and what felt like an unnatural affection because surely Jung Hoseok couldn’t have ever felt any affection towards the younger male. Jungkook stood before him, frozen to the ground in the middle of a heat wave outside. None of that warmth was reaching him, the blood in his veins had run cold and quickly any form of affection was shattering like an icicle that's been detached and hitting the concrete beneath it.

 

That familiar hand reached out for him, hesitated but continued only to meet air as the younger managed to break free from his hold and step back. Everything was cold, the warmth in his eyes was receding, the light had visibly dimmed but the man in front of him still seemed to be shimmering just as brightly as he always had to Jeon Jungkook. So bright, that his heart constricted in such a way he hoped he would never feel again.

 

“When were you going to tell me? Were you going to tell me? Who-No, no I don’t want to know.” He had so many questions but didn’t really know which to ask so they all burst forth. Thinking wasn’t even an option right now, his head was spinning, he couldn’t make out what was up nor down, left or right, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter