LETTING GO

SETTING FIRES

It is really true that happiness is always short-lived, for the morning after, all of the excitement I had felt the night before had vanished to thin air.

 

I woke up seeing her beautiful face staring at me and it gave me tingly feeling inside. I couldn't be more happier. I smiled. It has always been a dream of mine to wake up beside her, to see her face first thing in the morning.

 

"good morning... how are you -" before I could finish what I was saying she cut me off;

 

"Jiyong, about last night, I am sorry. I shouldn't have dragged you into my mess. Let's just forget about what happened. I guess it was the alcohol's doing. It was a mistake."

 

My whole world crushed. Silence enveloped the room. How could she make it so easy to say that? How could she expect me to just forget what happened? How could I be stupid to think that after this night she would magically love me too? I laughed. Pathetic. I am pathetic.

 

"Aigoo noona! You just verbalized what I was thinking. You are right, this was a mistake. This happens you know. One night stand. Yeah, Let's just forget about it and just pretend it didn't happened." Every words the came out of my mouth are like knife that cuts me through. Yeah One night stand, that is what it is to her, but not to me.

 

When she saw me smiling, sudden relief washed over her face. It pains me. How can she be so relieved shooing me away just like this? I got up from the bed and put on my pants.

 

"Again, I'm sorry"I heard her say and it stab my heart once again. Sorry is not the thing I want to hear from her. I sighed. "I told you it's okay. No worries. I have to go now noona. Don't think about it too much" I told her while walking towards the door. I mentally punch myself for everything that I said to her are the exact thing I couldn't do for myself. Pathetic.

 

Before I could finally went out of the room, she spoke again "Let's not be awkward with each other Jiyong-ah" Easy for you to say, I wanted to tell her that but instead I replied, "Arasso." I waved my hand signaling my exit from the room...my exit from her life.

 

The days after that incident was a total chaos. It hurts more than the time I found out that she was in a relationship with Soo Hyuk because this time she had gave me such beautiful memory that I don't know if I will ever learn to erase in my mind. A memory that will never happened again. A memory that had brought me so much happiness but broke me at the same time for it will be just like that, a memory.

 

Days and nights passed, I tried to act as normal as possible but my heart seemed to be in no progress at all. I am like a walking zombie going to work for I couldn't sleep at night thinking about ways to get rid of her out of my mind, but a part of me also thinks of ways to make her love me.

 

I heard the doorbell rang and I felt really irritated to get up from my bed and went towards the door, for I told my manager and Youngbae, the constant guests of my pad, to not disturb me today for I want to be alone. What in that, do they not understand? So it gave a surprise to me that the person standing in front of the door is the same person who I least expect to be there. What is she doing here?

 

For the past few weeks, I could clearly see that she was avoiding my presence even if she was the one who told me not to be awkward. So what brought her here? I was about to ask her when she spoke hurriedly,

 

"Jiyong, I know this is really selfish of me. But this is the only remedy I could think of. I couldn't get that night out of mind. That night, you made me forget everything. I am not saying that we should be together, because I know we don't have that romantic feelings for each other...." before she could even finished what she was saying, I grabbed her inside my pad and without a word, kissed her.

 

I am not really a religious person. I don't pray that much but that night as I watched her sleep peacefully beside me, I thank God, all the angels and saints for giving me this chance again to prove to her that I am the one she should be with. I know that what she offered was not some conventional relationship but I rather have this one than to not have her at all. We may have started at the wrong reason but I would make sure that I will make it right. I will make her see and feel the love I have kept for so long. I would make her realize that we belong to each other.

 

But I guess I failed, for tonight she has asked to end this relationship. For tonight she walked out of my life and I didn't stop her, for it made me so mad that whatever I do and no matter how much I love her, she wouldn't see it and still continue to love Soo Hyuk. My heart wanted to run after her but my mind refuse to do so.

 

What's the point of fighting for someone you know you cannot win? What's the point of giving your all when she cannot even see it? For the past years, I have stayed by her side, silently loving her, silently crying whenever she hurts me, silently angry of the wrong decisions she made. I don't want that anymore. I don't want to be just her shadow but instead, I want to walk side by side with her. I don't want to fight alone anymore but instead, I want us to fight battles together.

 

I thought that I could take everything but I guess the heart has its limits too. And sometimes when you've been hurt too much, no matter how much you love the person, you just choose to let them go. You choose to let go not because you don't love them anymore, but because you have to learn to love yourself too.