four

there's only you

 

He comes up with a solution: he doesn't have to see Jaehyun and Taeyong be all over each other if he doesn't stay around them in the first place. It's a pretty reasonable plan, except Doyoung doesn't want to stay away from Jaehyun. Ever. Just thinking about it breaks his heart. 

Despite that, the next week he steers clear whenever the two of them were together. To Doyoung's dismay, they were together a lot. It made him want to punch whatever object was near him, but he just resorted to putting his pent up anger (annoyance? jealousy?) into something else, like practicing more hours or exercising. Anything to get his mind off of that boy. 

One sleepless night after hours of tossing and turning, Doyoung decides to get up and get a glass of water. It was almost 3am, and the whole dorm was sound asleep. Except for the slight murmuring noises coming from one corner. Hushed voices. He walked towards the room that the sounds were coming from and he froze.

There they were, Jaehyun and Taeyong, standing in the dim corner of the hallway beside Jaehyun's room. Doyoung's legs went numb as he stood behind one of the walls, and he wanted so badly to disappear, to evaporate into nothingness, whatever. Taeyong seemed to be whispering something to the younger boy, all the while cupping his face and pulling him closer. Then he pecked him on the lips. 

Saying that Doyoung wanted to disappear was an understatement. He wished for the ground to open up and swallow him whole. His breathing got erratic, his mind got clouded, and he felt like there was a fist closing around his chest, so, so tightly. 

Doyoung waited. He heard Taeyong whisper a goodnight to the other boy and they went to their rooms.

Doyoung was surprised that he could get his legs moving. He walked to his room. 

He sat on his bed and thought. How ing dumb was I. Of course there was something going on between them. It was so painfully obvious. His heart felt heavy, like iron, and he felt like it was going to drop to his stomach any second. 

So much for staying out of their way, he thought bitterly. 

Doyoung couldn't sleep at all that night. Every time he thought about those whispered words, that quick kiss, he felt this itch on every surface of his body, like something was eating him up from the inside. 

He woke up with a start, and looking at the time, he found out he only slept an hour. He felt miserable, and he felt like someone put sandpaper in his eyes. He dragged himself to the bathroom, washed his face and brushed his tooth, and went to the kitchen.

Jaehyun. He was sitting right there. He looked just as miserable as Doyoung did, hunched over his cup of coffee. For a moment he considered making a detour and going back to his room, but Jaehyun had seen him already. His eyes lit up as if he had been excepting him.

"Hey hyung." Then he took a good look at his face. "Rough night?"

Doyoung nodded, not trusting his voice to speak. 

"Me too, actually. Haven't slept all night."

I bet you didn't, Doyoung thought.

Doyoung stood there quietly making his coffee, praying to the gods that Jaehyun doesn't speak to him again. Except he does.

"Hyung?" 

"Hmm?"

"Why have you been ignoring me for the past few weeks?" There was almost a tinge of sadness to his voice, and it would've made Doyoung feel hopefully if he hadn't seen what he did last night.

He didn't know what to say. He shrugged.

He heard Jaehyun stand up and walk to him. "Doyoung hyung?" he took his hands in his, and Doyoung wanted to put his hands away, but he couldn't. He ing couldn't. "Did I do something?" he looked into his eyes tentatively.

Doyoung cleared his throat. "No, no, I've just been busy." He congratulated himself for being able to formulate an actual sentence. 

Jaehyun looked sad. There was no doubting it. All week, Jaehyun had been trying to talk to him, yet he kept being distant and he hated himself for it. But he had to. And after last night....he didn't even know how to face him anymore.

All of a sudden, Jaehyun dropped the older's hands and hugged him. He put his arms around his neck and snuggled close. Doyoung hesitated, but this was Jaehyun, his Jaehyun - the boy he loved for so many years - he was right in front of him in his arms, and he hugged him back, all his pettiness be damned.

"I miss you, hyung," he murmured into his neck. Doyoung closed his eyes, his arms tight around the beautiful, warm boy in front of him, and he dreamt of a place far away, away from all of this and everyone here, just the two of them.