Library

Butterflies: A BangDae one shot compilation

Sitting in a comfortable chair in a back corner of the library, Yongguk found himself immersed in the novel he had currently started reading, a heavy volume about war through the ages. Different weapons, various reasons for bloodshed, he found it much more interesting than most people seemed to. A soft humming, an angelic melody, pulled his focus away from his book as a librarian tried to get a book onto the top shelf. He was shorter than he would have needed to be to effortlessly get the book where it belonged but apparently far too stubborn to get a stool for assistance. Tongue between his teeth, he seemed to be trying very hard to accomplish his goal.

 

Fascinated by the pretty man desperately struggling to do his duty, Yongguk couldn’t help but grin and hide and snicker with a fake coughing fit at the irritation he could clearly see spreading on the librarian’s face. Figuring it would be nice to offer his help, he was conflicted with his desire to continue to watch the way he stretched and scowled at the book every time he fell short of his goal. It was so cute that Yongguk could hardly handle himself.

 

Finally, as the man stretched too far and lost his balance, Yongguk sprang to his feet. Just in time to catch him before he fell, he steadied the pretty librarian whom seemed both surprised and embarrassed. Their lips inches apart, Yongguk found his own sense of humility and quickly released the other as soon as he knew he was stable enough to stand.

 

“I’m so sorry. You just... You were falling and I...” Shaking his head, he rubbed his temples to calm himself, the close proximity doing all sorts of unexpected things to him. The man was even more stunning up close and the usually calm and serious Yongguk was finding it hard to find the words he was looking for around him.

 

“And you...?” The librarian questioned, clearly waiting for him to finish his sentence. Yongguk opened and closed his mouth a few times, looking like a fish out of water while he tried to find where his words had disappeared to.

 

“A-are you okay?” He finally managed to ask, feeling his cheeks burn with a growing blush.

 

“Yeah. Thanks to you.” The librarian cocked his head to the side, seeming to study Yongguk with his big, glittering eyes, a slight smile beginning to tug at the corners of his lips. “I didn’t hurt you when you caught me, did I?” All Yongguk could manage was to desperately shake his head no, his grasp on verbal communication completely failing him. Seeming satisfied enough with his answer, the man let out a musical laugh and patted Yongguk’s cheek gently. “Calm down, there, Big Guy. I wont bite. Well. Unless I’m asked nicely or you piss me off.” Giggling at the look of shock Yongguk was sure he had given him, the librarian smiled full on and Yongguk could feel his heart speeding at the sight. “The name’s Daehyun.”

 

“Y-Yongguk...” He managed to shout out before panic overtook him and he desperately fished a business card from his pocket, handing it to Daehyun before he raced out of the library, book long forgotten on the table. The further he got from the doors, the more he really hoped Daehyun would call.