Life

Butterflies: A BangDae one shot compilation

Groaning, Daehyun looked over at the man in bed beside him, a hangover giving him the worst headache he’d had in a very long time. Sitting up slowly, he he rubbed his head and thought back to exactly what had put him in that particular state.

 

***

 

Taking a deep swig of the banana rum in his glass, Daehyun glared over the table at the other man who merely sipped at his own drink and smiled peacefully. This was a battle of wills and one of them would have to break eventually. Daehyun did not intend for it to be him. It was already four in the morning, they had been at this for nearly five hours and as the drinks flowed freely, their abilities to negotiate seemed to deteriorate.

 

“No. You’re wrong. I definitely purchased insurance.” Growling, he tapped his nails on the table, trying to appear as menacing as possible to no avail.

 

“Which insurance? Because I don’t remember this transaction.” Yongguk’s casual tone annoyed him to no end and he gripped his hands into first as he narrowed his glare. For all he was worth, Yongguk simply leaned back in his chair, swirling his drink in his glass as he watched Daehyun like he was some kind of mafia kingpin forcing Daehyun to cash in on a debt.

 

“All of them.” Defiant, Daehyun gulped down the rest of his drink and began to pour another one. He would not back down on this. The matter at hand felt far too important to him, and to his wallet.

 

“All of the insurances?” Yongguk raised an eyebrow and Daehyun knew that he was calling his bluff. Honestly, he couldn’t remember which insurance he needed anymore, his mind hazy with the effects of the alcohol, all he knew was that he did not want to pay the damages despite his lack of any insurance at all.

 

“Yes?” One last, feeble attempt at lying, Daehyun went from stubborn and angry to pleading, giving the man across from him his best attempt at puppy eyes.

 

“You didn’t.” Shrugging, Yongguk took another sip of his drink, the nonchalant dismissal hitting Daehyun surprisingly hard.

 

“Damn it, Bang Yongguk!” Slamming his fists on the table, Daehyun could feel tears form in his eyes. “I can’t afford this. I’ll be broke, ruined. My kids will be homeless and my husband will leave me for my estranged sister named Barbara.”

 

“You don’t have a sister named Barbara.” The chuckled the other man gave him only agitated him more. This was important. This was personal.

Yongguk!” Voice cracking, he stood up to storm out, done with the situation.

 

“Chill out, Dae.” A hand reached out and held his wrist gently, stopping him in his tracks as Yongguk spoke gently. “It’s only a game.”

 

“This isn’t just a game, okay? This is LIFE!” Waving his hand dramatically at the box on the floor by the table and the colorful board on top of it, Daehyun sniffled and wiped at his cheeks with his other arm.

 

“Yes. The game of LIFE.” Laughing quietly, Yongguk pulled the still upset Daehyun into his arms, only making him cry harder, unable to get a hold on himself due to the copious amounts of alcohol he had somehow consumed during the course of their game.

 

“But... But Yongguk... I wanted it to be our dream life.” Accidentally admitting his pathetic in-game fantasy, Daehyun covered his face with his hands.

 

“What?” Yongguk’s confusion held no weight on his drunk blabbering and Daehyun continued his emotional rant.

 

“Me, you, married with a big house and a nice car.” Without meaning to, he reached out to play with the sleeve of Yongguk’s shirt, possibly in an attempt to distract himself from thinking too hard about what he was saying.

 

“Dae...” Yongguk’s attempt to interrupt him went unnoticed.

 

“Two kids, a girl and a boy named Sebastian. Maybe a dog.” Unable to reign in his word vomit, Daehyun just kept laying out his whole internal dialogue.

 

“Have you been watching The Little Mermaid again?” Yongguk chuckled and Daehyun felt lips brush against his forehead.

 

“Maybe... Shut up...” Pouting, he batted shyly at Yongguk’s chest.

 

“And what would our daughter’s name be?” The question, Yongguk’s interest in his little inebriate rant, took him by surprise.

 

“Evan.” The answer tumbled from his lips effortlessly. Something he had thought about a lot.

 

“Evan?” Yongguk’s enthusiasm for the name seemed minimal to his own.

 

“Yes.” Nodding, he clenched his jaw, attempting to appear stern on the topic.

 

“That’s a boy’s name.” The statement was flat, holding neither judgment nor excitement.

 

“YOU’RE A BOY’S NAME!” He shouted back, feeling a sudden surge of defensiveness course through him.

 

“Yes? I’m not actually sure what that implies.” The laughter of the other man was soothing to his rage, calming him pretty easily.

 

“Exactly.” Nodding, Daehyun was suddenly very distracted by the curve of Yongguk’s collar bone, feeling an intense need to touch it.

 

“So, Evan huh?” His boyfriend caught his hand before he could poke at his clavicle for the third time, causing him to pout.

 

“Don’t make fun of me.” Pulling his hand away in annoyance, Daehyun found himself only pulled back into another embrace and a soft kiss. For the most part, he was relieved that Yongguk wouldn’t let him pull away to sulk because he was just beginning to realize that the alcohol had started to effect his balance and he’d crash to the floor if left to his own devices.

“I’m not. It’s actually kind of cute.” Yongguk’s words made him blush and he found himself playfully batting at the other man again.

 

“You’re actually kind of cute...” Daehyun half slurred as he kept tapping Yongguk’s shoulder gently with his fingertips, probably sounding something along the lines of ‘Chur actly kinda coot’ as the rum really took hold on him.

 

“You’re drunk, huh?” He felt Yongguk lift him into his arms, and he couldn’t help but laugh and kiss his boyfriend. Everything felt fuzzy.

 

“You’re drunk!” He shot back, snuggling against Yongguk’s chest as the other man began to walk, cradling him like a baby.

 

“Not as much as you, baby. Let’s get you to bed.” Lips brushed against his forehead and Daehyun squirmed until he could put his hands on his boyfriend’s cheeks, pulling him into a sloppy kiss.

 

“You go to bed.” Chuckling, Daehyun released Yongguk’s face and settled against his chest again.

 

“Only if you’re there.” Yongguk smiled as he sat Daehyun on the bed, crawling in beside him. Daehyun was passed out before the blankets were even pulled over him.

 

***

 

Yongguk stirred beside him and Daehyun felt his cheeks heat with a blush, hoping his boyfriend didn’t remember his embarrassing confession from the night before. The grin on his face said that Daehyun’s optimism for drunken memory loss was not going to come to reality, as much as he hoped it would. Sighing, he resigned himself to the knowledge that Yongguk now knew exactly how strange he was, but by the look on his lover’s face, he was received to know that the man loved him anyway. Because he sure as hell loved Yongguk.